St Vincent de Paul Society
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

St Vincent de Paul Society Employee Reviews

Australia251 reviews
The environment was welcoming, and friendly. It was easy to make friends or become acquainted with your fellow volunteers. It was very nice to volunteer there.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Quite boring at some points
Unproductive work place, management is not up to the job they were given. Management blame the workers for their lack of understanding of how the work place works
Loved volunteering here, relaxed and light hearted environment. Kind and inviting staff. Gives back to community leaving you feeling fulfilled by your work.
Great people and culture to work with, easy going everyone enjoys being there,
All pitch in and help one another, always something to do,or someone to help out
St Vincent de Paul teaches a lot of information and calls on skills being used as appropriate.

I am volunteering and will return when I am not doing paid work.
I volunteered here, and it was great to learn about the company, and the good work it does for charity.
I gained some excellent retail experience, and really enjoyed it.
I worked at vinnies for 15 years and enjoyed every day I use to look forward waking up to go to work, staff and management were very friendly and helpful when you needed help.
I recomamand Vinnies. good place to work at.
Easy going, immediate management easy to talk to.
Most staff helpful and eager to assist

Most enjoyable part of the position was that the workers and management worked well together.
Learn a lot from with the staff and friendly customers to deal with. Easily to get to the work place. Management are polite and professional about the business.
I have gained experience in retail shop work while working in ST Vincent de Paul Society. I would price & display the merchandise, keep the store clean, tidy & safe. Also carry out cash & card sales to customers. I enjoy all aspect of the job & have a good working relationship with all other staff. It is enjoyable to see customers happy after purchasing goods from the shop.
Carrying out voluntary work is satisfying & a great way of helping other people.
Although I volunteered there for just two months, I worked there only since I couldn't find proper work. Only the managers get paid. Everyone else is a volunteer. To be blunt, it's sad. They need to create more paid positions.
Good place to work with great people who are always willing to help. Worker there as a casual threw a recruiting agency and was treated like I was part of the comaony.
Working at Saint Vincent de Paul was a fun job, I found it pretty fun once you got to know everyone and the job was always a great balance of breaks and challenges.The job is definitely for anyone, both those entering their career and those ending theirs.

- Great and Relaxed Environment where challenges come and go throughout your work-shift.

- A workload where no two shifts are the same.

- Other like-minded volunteers who take pride in their job and their work-politics.

However... management, especially regional and above I found to be absolutely horrific.

They recently did some public changes to their pricing techniques that I and other found morally grey. It seemed like they wanted to increase markup and did not care about the charity side of things.

The general stigma of the regional management is quite negative also, as I have seen them consistently disregard volunteers suggestions, greetings and positive remarks for reasons beyond myself. This creates a often negative work environment where volunteers don't often want to seek management for support.

- Consistent questionable changes in policies

- Detached and unsupportive management.

- Borderline-dystopian relationship between volunteers and management
Paid staff dismissed with no justification. Seems to be a revolving door of workers. Upper management and HR not hold qualified skills and have little knowledge of workplace law. An embarrassment to what was once considered a good organisation is now
Pros
reasonable hours
Cons
work environment is toxic, many favoured staff have little or no appropriate qualifications for their role, HR and management disorganised and inconsistent and lacking appropriate qualifications, racism and prejudice rife
The staff thoroughly enjoy their time in the shop and out the back, we are very loyal to each other.. Customers are constantly surprised at our prices and stock. The stock turn over is quite unbelievable. the amount of donations is constant and never ending.
The understanding of Management and Executive for work life balance is insurmountable.

I love working here.
A good manager to get along with. A good place to work and to meet people.Make friends with the other staff. Learn new skills in retail.Help customers .
As a volunteer, I typically worked around labelling and organising products as well as tidying up. I was able to learn how to communicate with customers as it was my first volunteer job through a friendly staff crew.
Loved working there, learnt computer/myob program
Hardest part was seeing so many people struggling

Best part helping others in need very satisfying

Nice people to work with
I was always met with a smile and compliment, we would all get along very well even though our age differences there was no discrimination and they were all very lovely, The workload was pretty reasonable yet i would always try my hardest to get things done and i would help out my fellow teammates, The workers was very nice and was always well mannered, I worked there for a year and a half and loved every second and still pop by too say hi.
I mean it's volunteer work so it's fairly easy-going and enjoyable, the workplace culture and management is pretty laidback but things get done and the work is quite rewarding.
the training was excellent, the job was great and fulfilling helping people receive funding under the NDIS - the office culture was unnecessarily stressful and many team leaders like to micro manager which does not allow staff to flourish and show their skills. A lot of favouritism towards some staff was evident
Ask a question about working or interviewing at St Vincent de Paul Society. Our community is ready to answer.