Starbucks Employee Reviews

Found 46 reviews matching the search See all 36,226 reviews
High turnover, pay not equal to work expected
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 July 2019
Been employed for a couple of years, budgets are tight so labour is scarce, expected to do a lot more than being paid for, loss of penalty rates, overall training not the best
Great working environment
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 June 2019
Starbucks prides themselves on great quality, both service and goods wise. Extra care is taken for its employers as they build healthy customer and server relationships, to personalize each experience. very healthy workplace
Nice first experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dublin SA31 May 2019
Before working for Starbucks I had never been a Barista before. They were kind enough to give me a fair chance and it work out pretty well. Thank you.
Pros
Team work
Poor direction from higher up management, fun workplace.
Starbucks (Former Employee) –  Australia12 May 2019
The constant bombardment to cut hours from higher management has led to the partners in store feeling stressed and overwhelmed. It seems the company is more interested in the bottom line than looking after its people. The “values” of Starbucks that were driven at the beginning of employment are not the same. Don’t preach being for the people and then turn around and do the opposite. I literally had a higher up say to me “it doesn’t matter if it’s effects the customer service, as long as we meet the labour budget”. They don’t care about the people, customers or staff.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours, terrible work life balance
Fun but Corporate didn't care
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Australia28 April 2019
Really fun crew to work with, great when under the pump and you get into rhythm. Corporate made things difficult trying to make the stores a destination but always placing a restriction on hours, meaning at time it was a bit of a stretch to get all tasks complete while serving customers with only one person on the floor while the other person was on break. Corporate kept on hiring externally with not much regards to those that had been there for some time. Progression isn't really a thing the Withers Group seems to be keen on. Fun being a barista - my advice - stay a barista.
Pros
Free Coffees, good staff
Cons
Corporate, Not enough staff on
Cool and fun workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD28 April 2019
very friendly team mates, relaxed and fun environment, open-minded and understanding management, good work-life balance, flexible hours, frequent training and feedback on performance.
Pros
free drinks, discount on food
Cons
not any available hours to work.
Great Company to Work For
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia, Ontario3 March 2019
I worked for Starbucks on-and-off over the course of 6 years. Fantastic benefits and great support tools offered. Unfortunately in some cases quality of work environment was hindered by poor management which trickled down to effect employees. In many cases it started with the District Manager. However, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company and gained many useful skills and tools that I have applied to every job since.
Pros
Great support tools and helplines (mental health, workplace quality, etc.), fantastic benefits
Cons
Poor management in some cases, negative attitudes in the work environment
busy good training
Food prep (Former Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW6 February 2019
starbucks was very busy all of the time, learning to work with high volumes of people coming through was a very smooth adjustment with welcoming staff and good training.
Pros
discounts
Cons
understaffed
Fun workplace
Barista/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD30 January 2019
Overall a great workplace if you’re in the right store. Made lots of good friends here. Always hated how wasteful they were though and there were some very long hard hours.
Pros
Free drinks, interesting workplace
Cons
Long hours, certain management figures, waste
Productive and career development
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford20 January 2019
On a typical day, I trained new staff, did banking, and held coffee tastings. I moved from barista to shift supervisor within 3 months. I also entered into the barista championship and came in 4th in my district.
The hardest part about the job was finding the balance between home an work like. I like to work so I would pick up extra shifts, help out in other stores.
Productive and Great Teamwork
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 January 2019
As a starting platform in Starbucks, it was a great experience overall and also a learning curve being able to step up the career ladder to become a supervisor.
Learned plenty about colleagues and management. Discovering how a multi national brand can impact millions of people just through various products.
Great marketing base to learn how to push campaigns on a product and the company.
Be Environmentally Aware
Barista (Former Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD12 December 2018
Before employment we watch a video indicating the sustainability and fair trade nature of Starbucks. However, the food waste, plastic waste, and lack of recycling is disgusting. It makes the video seem like green washing or window dressing, which shows lack of integrity. On my first shift I was required to make one of each drink, only to have them thrown away immediately. This is absolutely shameful.
Productive and stable
Barista - Shift Incharge (Current Employee) –  Verdun LB21 November 2018
Working in such a huge company had gave me a lot of experience on multi-culture and production management, and it is a very appreciable company plus great atmosphere, although it recommends a lot of standing hours with might give a body pain, but it give me the opportunity to be a valuable member of the society.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Standing Hours
Fun workplace when you have a good supervisor
Barista and Customer Service provider (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW14 November 2018
It's a great place to work when your supervisor gives you hours and your team does their jobs so you don't have to do it for them. The drinks are so easy to make and you can pick up the recipes in a heartbeat.
about work time
Waiter/Barista (Former Employee) –  guanghzou31 October 2018
do not just focus on coffee at all of the time
we should care about the customers who wanna drinking
also ,the important thing is that we should save the time in how to making coffee quickly
Breve ma ...
Barista (Former Employee) –  New South Wales29 October 2018
La mia esperienza in questa azienda è stata breve ma sicuramente da non dimenticare. Partendo dal presupposto che il contatto con la gente per me è fondamentale, avere il contatto con diverse cultura presenti nella città di Sydney mi ha dato quella spinta in più per desiderare ancora di più la permanenza.
Fun, Friends and Free Coffee
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 September 2018
A typical day working at Starbucks is very intense, mostly a fast pace environment. There is always something to do.
I have learned a lot, specially working under pressure and stress but still knowing how to provide an excellent and friendly customer service.
Management were always helpful in times of need.
The workplace culture is fun, inclusive and we all shared our passion for coffee. That was the most enjoyable part of the job, I met friends for life and enjoyed learning and appreciating the different tastes of coffee.
The hardest part of the job was the very early openings and very late closings of the Cafe. Usually the stores opens at 6am and closes 1am.
Pros
Free coffees
Cons
Late hours
Low pay, bad training, down atmosphere.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 September 2018
As a manager, I get paid $23/hr to work my butt off. They have a lot of expectations for brand new “partners” and inadequate training. Pay should be MUCH higher for the demands placed on us by head office, district managers and store managers.

I wouldn’t recommend working here unless you can survive on <$500 per week. If you clock out even a couple minutes late, you’d best believe you’ll get a warning. The whole atmosphere isn’t worth it, and the way they run their stores is a disaster. I can see the chain failing again - particularly the stores further from the cities.
Pros
Free drinks and food
Cons
Long hours, abysmal pay, low job-satisfaction
Great
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  EMU21 August 2018
Was an excellent company to work for and enjoyed the environment. Training employees was excellent and I was encouraged to lead as soon as I started with the company.
fun and nice workplace to learn
Barista (Former Employee) –  other13 August 2018
a nice workplace culture and everyone could learning something from they own job , we can enjoy in from service and communication with customer , a good part for our careers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

514.4K