Starbucks
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Starbucks Employee Reviews

Australia61 reviews
a challenging job with many rewards and fun times with colleagues. Keeping the stores ticking over and running smoothly with minimum downtime was a challenge and liaising with different departments was a pleasure
Pros
free coffee
Faced paced working environment
Stressful working conditions

Lack of management from higher ups

questionable upper management

Best part was working with friends
It help me to Grow my skills like time management, team work.
i find myself very fast working after few months of joining there.have a very great opportunity to grow in personal and career wise.
Work at starbucks is really good to students or in the begging of the carrear. The wage is not good. Because all team work a lot and they are not recognized. If you dona good is your obligation. Coffee at home should contemple the barista who most sold in that specific day.
No matter how friendly my colleagues were, the work was very tiresome, especially at busy stores. Certain pockets of workers can be toxic as the work is rather stressful so the workplace culture could be considered quite poor.
extremly busy store, very fast paced and always on your toes.
really good team work and flow with theteam and the customers

and always positive attitues
Management and the district management are really caring and genuinely passionate about the company and the staff. The CEO is highly involved in the operations and is the first CEO of a company that I have worked for that I have actually had a conversation with. Fellow staff members are generally very friendly and great to work with.
pay their workers quite poorly and the whole set up of starbucks isn't efficient. Food and beverages are WAYYYY too overpriced. they also don't roster enough people on each shift so its always stressful
Nice place to work, we learn a lot and work a lot! We don't stop all day, but it is a fun place to work. The place is always busy and it takes a lot of responsabilities.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Starbucks?
The way the store manager at the time handled the store was horrific and triggered a lot of mental stress for myself and other workers so much so that i had to quit for my own health. Workers and the training provided by other staff was amazing. NO rushing or forceful behaviours. Everything was completed at the comfortability of my pace.
Pros
clean, fresh store
Cons
short shifts, low salary
It is a fast paced work environment and depends on which store you're gonna work at, some busier place can be really challenging for some people. Although it can be stressful at times, as long as you have a great team it is gonna be fun.
if you like fast paced environment and lots of shifts then this is the place for you, Starbucks is a very fast paced environment with lots of interaction with customers and coffee!
High turnover rate. I had to quit due to terrible management, which caused a major decrease in employee satisfaction, employee morale and happiness in our store. The store managers caused emotional stress within myself and other employees, eventually leading to my own and many others resignation. Made several complaints to higher management from a lot of different employees, but nothing was done.
Working at Starbuck Roasting Plant was a real blessing in my life the work was not back breaking the pay was good and the work environment is awesome.
I've enjoyed most of my time at Starbucks, but the pay really does not make up for everything you do. It is extremely fast-paced, so you must work fast and confidently. From managers asking you to do extra work, stay behind without being paid, to guilting you into working when you're really sick, it's just poorly run from higher ups - so much focus is put on cutting costs, it really takes away from actually enjoying the job. Experience will vary store to store, with some stores having a good culture to others being so poor people quit after the first shift. Additionally, do not work here if you care about the environment - there is literally SO much wastage, it's morally awful to work here. Everything from food, milk, water and plastic is wasted daily if not hourly, which takes a toll. However, even with poor management, bad hours and extreme wastage, if you have a good team at your store, you'll form lifelong bonds - the culture at Starbucks is great between baristas, I guess bonding over how bad things can get really strengthens friendship.
Pros
free coffee, great team, easy work
Cons
bad management, employees are treated as replaceable
Starbucks is a company that heavily relies on team work.

Yet with hard work and kindness, it pays off at the end.

Giving a worker the confidence and positivity to do most tasks.
Been employed for a couple of years, budgets are tight so labour is scarce, expected to do a lot more than being paid for, loss of penalty rates, overall training not the best
Overall a great workplace if you’re in the right store. Made lots of good friends here. Always hated how wasteful they were though and there were some very long hard hours.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
very messy, no order
Starbucks prides themselves on great quality, both service and goods wise. Extra care is taken for its employers as they build healthy customer and server relationships, to personalize each experience. very healthy workplace
Before working for Starbucks I had never been a Barista before. They were kind enough to give me a fair chance and it work out pretty well. Thank you.
Pros
Team work
The constant bombardment to cut hours from higher management has led to the partners in store feeling stressed and overwhelmed. It seems the company is more interested in the bottom line than looking after its people. The “values” of Starbucks that were driven at the beginning of employment are not the same. Don’t preach being for the people and then turn around and do the opposite. I literally had a higher up say to me “it doesn’t matter if it’s effects the customer service, as long as we meet the labour budget”. They don’t care about the people, customers or staff.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours, terrible work life balance