Strandbags Employee Reviews

Productuve workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mill Park VIC7 May 2019
Enjoyed working at strandbags. This retail store helped me become more out spoke and also helped me gain product knowledge on different brands, more so travel bags and their accessories.
Pros
Casual pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Super energetic workplace!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, Australia23 March 2019
I had so much fun working for Strandbags - they take care of their employees and the benefits are great. Beautiful products and care is taken with all items. Sales targets are reasonable and we also had a GREAT team! Very exhilarating and ever-changing environment.
Pros
Great customer demographic
Cons
Regional manager a little disconnected from local stores
toxic environment with high staff turn over
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  qld18 March 2019
Strandbags culture forces staff to compete against each other to fulfill personal budgets which results in staff stealing sales from each other (including the manager) just to keep hours.

Staff are constantly stressed and dismissed when concerns are raised, dubbed as 'lazy' and 'entitled' and general gas lighting and bullying occurs by management and other staff daily.

There is no loyalty to staff, they will cut you down to 3 hours a week and cite 'performance' as a reason, which would be reasonable if budgets were feasible.

Management will tell you staff only do one stock shift a week that makes it impossible to make budget, and will generally target one or two staff for the actual day to day behind the scenes jobs so its impossible to make your budget then blame you for not making your budget.

If anyone comes in with a strandbags bag in hand, staff will scatter away so they don't have to process the likely return, again, including the manager.

Backrooms are cramped and stock is piled from the ground to the ceiling, with luggage everywhere in a tiny room which makes it hard to use ladders safely.

Have received emails from head office that when a leather bag comes in with mould on it to wipe it off and sell it anyways.

The only good part of this job is he camaraderie you can build with some staff because you're all in the same boat.

The point of sale system is old, outdated and every single process is overly complicated with multiple paperwork, all designed with the intention of All Staff Steals.
Pros
some genuine friends can be made here
Cons
toxic environment, high budgets, no sense of team
Productive and geared towards growth as it is a family run business.
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  Miranda NSW14 March 2019
A great company to work for as long as you are achieving thier goals,
They help provide you with full training,
Following the Strandbags recipe is fairly easy,
No imagination needed in this role
Pros
Company has many checklists for you to follow
Cons
Long working hours above and beyond your paid hours expected
Terrible to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA24 February 2019
Manager has favourites and would give 80% of the hours to friend while workers who have worked there almost 20 years have to scrape by on 10 hours a week.
NO incentives or any reward for consistent hard work and exceeding budgets. But manager get bonuses.
Constant pressure to achieve budgets and hours get taken away for the stupidest reasons, like if the back room is a mess.
Pros
40% off bags
Cons
Hard work and barely any hours
Strandbags was very big on customer satisfaction and was a fun environment to work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW27 January 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying my customers needs. The Team of workers was exceptional and the hours were flexible .It was a very satisfying job, close to home and Management was very understanding to all of the staffs needs.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working weekends
Great team to work with, fun environment and challenging but rewarding work.
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Baldivis WA14 January 2019
I enjoyed working for strandbags as I worked with great people and the environment was amazing. I also enjoyed how busy it kept me. My manager was patient and understanding and fair.
Worst workplace EVER!
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 September 2018
This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Shifts are meant to be based on sales and yet they aren't and are just given to the women who are friends with the manager. Upper management is useless! They never care about anything until you don't make budget and then they make sure to call and tell you how disappointing you are and how you must not have tried hard enough. The store rooms are unsafe as they are way overstocked and never organised properly. I hurt myself numerous times and made incident reports and not once did the regional or manager ask if I was ok. We were treated like slaves and given numerous unrealistic tasks and high budgets to do during a 3 hour shift and if they aren't done by the end of shift we lose hours the following week. Its made harder by casuals having to compete for sales and some resorting to bullying tactics and stealing sales in order to make their budget. There is so many more things wrong with this company but I will stop there. All in all I would never recommend working here to anyone!
Pros
40% off full price stock
Cons
Everything else
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 July 2018
- Meeting KPI's and conversion rates
- 100% Customer Service
- Happy and fun work atmosphere
- Great staff benefits and rewards
- Social interactions with staff and customers
Average retail job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD20 June 2018
This job is okay. The pay is average, and there are basically no bonuses unless you're a manager. There's not really any job stability as the only permanent positions are management. KPI pressure is pretty high given there's no rewards - only the punishment of losing hours if you don't make targets. Hard to progress in the company too - a lot of outside hires for management positions.

Not a bad job for a student but wouldn't consider it a career move.
Pros
Fun to talk about travel with luggage customers
Cons
No progression/benefits/stability
Amazing work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA14 May 2018
Strandbags was a wonderful company to work for,
Realistic targets, paid bonuses, area manager was absolutely fantastic! Paid Staff training sessions, they want you to be your best!
Great computer system little room for error.
Started as a casual and made my way up to store manager.
Fast paced work environment, always something to do and new things to learn!
Pros
Bonuses, great discounts, awesome team environment
Cons
No holidays over Xmas
Productive fun workplace
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Mirrabooka WA5 April 2018
Customer service
teamwork
problem solving
cash handling

Great friendly, productive team. Great experience, Great Company.
I learnt a lot here and carry many skill with me for the future.
Overall not very good
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Airport QLD16 March 2018
Management is terrible, regional managers or a particular one is a nightmare, unreliable, untrustworthy, childish and plain rude. No respect for casual staff. As for the general manager some like to pick and choose, rosters are supposedly based on KIP’s which is not the case as it is who she favours the most regardless of the amount of work they or others do. I would not reccomand.
Pros
40% discount off full priced items
Cons
Highly competetive workplace due to budgets needing to be met to get shifts
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW3 March 2018
I worked at Strandbags for just over two years. When I began, budgets were reasonable and from that, I was not stressed at work about getting shifts as I could make my budget. As time went on, budgets went up, competitiveness between staff increased and stress increased to make budgets. No benefits for making budget. Only trouble from upper management if you were unable to make budget.
Good discount on stock, poor OH&S requirements due to overstocking in the back room and not enough space.
Pros
Discounts, varied shifts, reasonable pay
Cons
Sales focused, competitive workplace, under appreicated
Terrible people skills in upper management poor culture
Previous store manager (Former Employee) –  Nsw20 February 2018
Not a happy environment bullying tactics from upper management poor people skills & unprofessional
high & unrealistic targets & expectations
no support don’t believe in team focus is on individual
Pros
Cons
Unhappy demeaning culture
Horrible people to work for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA27 January 2018
These girls are so nice to your face, but then say horrible things about you behind your back. Doesn't give you enough training and expects you to know everything. Not enough hours.
Pros
A lot of effort put in and not appreciated for your efforts
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC5 December 2017
This company has a lot of potential of being a good place to work for,If they took the time to appreciate their staff and get a manger who new their products and how to work as a team . It would put less pressure on people ,relying on other staff members to train and do their own job
Pros
Learnt alot about products
Cons
not appreciated for all the hard work you put in .
Good opportunity
Retail (Former Employee) –  Dubbo NSW20 November 2017
Working at strandbags was good. I learnt quite a lot whilst my short period of working there. I was able to work individually at times which gave me confidence that I was capable of doing the job unsupervised.
I found it hard though when it came to busy times in the store as we were required to be store security as there was no security provided.
Working in strandbags
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 November 2017
Absolutely loved working in strandbags. everything from the work itself, my co workers, the atmosphere and even sometimes the customers, i felt at home when working at strandbags and had the respect from my boss and 2nd assistant. i was constantly praised for my work with enabled me to excel higher.
Busy sales environment which is balanced with an awesome team
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA23 October 2017
Exceptionally busy sales environment
I have learned of the importance of multi-skilling, KPIs and sales focus, customer service and boundaries at this workplace
Relaxed but professional management
Supportive and team
Pros
Great team of people, Flexible hours if you are a student, Management is professional
Cons
Shop is too small/crowded, High staff turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strandbags. Our community is ready to answer.