Strandbags Management reviews

Worst workplace EVER!
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 September 2018
This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Shifts are meant to be based on sales and yet they aren't and are just given to the women who are friends with the manager. Upper management is useless! They never care about anything until you don't make budget and then they make sure to call and tell you how disappointing you are and how you must not have tried hard enough. The store rooms are unsafe as they are way overstocked and never organised properly. I hurt myself numerous times and made incident reports and not once did the regional or manager ask if I was ok. We were treated like slaves and given numerous unrealistic tasks and high budgets to do during a 3 hour shift and if they aren't done by the end of shift we lose hours the following week. Its made harder by casuals having to compete for sales and some resorting to bullying tactics and stealing sales in order to make their budget. There is so many more things wrong with this company but I will stop there. All in all I would never recommend working here to anyone!
Pros
40% off full price stock
Cons
Everything else
Overall not very good
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Airport QLD16 March 2018
Management is terrible, regional managers or a particular one is a nightmare, unreliable, untrustworthy, childish and plain rude. No respect for casual staff. As for the general manager some like to pick and choose, rosters are supposedly based on KIP’s which is not the case as it is who she favours the most regardless of the amount of work they or others do. I would not reccomand.
Pros
40% discount off full priced items
Cons
Highly competetive workplace due to budgets needing to be met to get shifts
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW3 March 2018
I worked at Strandbags for just over two years. When I began, budgets were reasonable and from that, I was not stressed at work about getting shifts as I could make my budget. As time went on, budgets went up, competitiveness between staff increased and stress increased to make budgets. No benefits for making budget. Only trouble from upper management if you were unable to make budget.
Good discount on stock, poor OH&S requirements due to overstocking in the back room and not enough space.
Pros
Discounts, varied shifts, reasonable pay
Cons
Sales focused, competitive workplace, under appreicated
Terrible people skills in upper management poor culture
Previous store manager (Former Employee) –  Nsw20 February 2018
Not a happy environment bullying tactics from upper management poor people skills & unprofessional
high & unrealistic targets & expectations
no support don’t believe in team focus is on individual
Pros
Cons
Unhappy demeaning culture
Horrible people to work for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA27 January 2018
These girls are so nice to your face, but then say horrible things about you behind your back. Doesn't give you enough training and expects you to know everything. Not enough hours.
Pros
Busy sales environment which is balanced with an awesome team
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA23 October 2017
Exceptionally busy sales environment
I have learned of the importance of multi-skilling, KPIs and sales focus, customer service and boundaries at this workplace
Relaxed but professional management
Supportive and team
Pros
Great team of people, Flexible hours if you are a student, Management is professional
Cons
Shop is too small/crowded, High staff turnover
This was a good company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitfords Beach WA4 October 2017
This company was goid to work for i had not to many issues only with some staff due to bad attitude but other than that fine. I wish they really learned to value there team
Pros
I had great staff
Cons
No communication
Bully manager
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA16 August 2017
the ladies i worked with were great and it was such a great environment until the bully manager comes in. worse is the regional manager knows about all these but didn't do anything about it. just as bad
Pros
great workmates
Cons
bully manager
Unrealistic expectations
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 July 2017
The lowest income
Unrealistic expectations
Impossible to complete tasks in time given
Regional Managers don't answer phone or return calls
Head Office over staffed
No H R department for staff issues
Pros
Cons
Huge amount of your own time used to keep store to company expectations
Horrible pay. No support
Manager (Former Employee) –  Queensland8 March 2017
Minimum wage, not much support from regional managers, can go weeks without speaking, never replies or reads emails. Every store is the same they don't look at how individual stores are trading and offer changes that would help.sales are always the same and the product mark up is horrible. Their gross profit would be through the roof. If you Make the stores monthly budget management get a bonus but they're unrealistic budgets and bonuses are paid on top of your wage so it all goes to tax any way. Casual staff get paid well for the amount of work they have to do.
Once you're a manager there's no futher advancement. Quiet a boring job
Pros
Meet great people
Cons
Lack of support and wage
Worse place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC14 February 2017
Not a happy environment the manager was rude and didn't know how to speak to staff . She would say one thing and do another . Never take charge of her wrong doing and would blame the casuals. Roster was based on favourites this particular store will go down the drain very fast with management like that . Have been in retail for a long time have never worked for such an inconsistent company .
Pros
Meet a great friend
Cons
Manager
No support from Regional Manager - didn't even reply to messages, emails or phone calls.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD4 October 2016
Had a theft and the regional manager wouldn't even reply to my calls or email or message! Unrealistic budgets especially on Sundays and Public Holidays! Rosters all over the place and would be called in last minute. Found that some staff were favoured over the other. My regional manager spoke behind my back and my manager told me! Do not reccomend. They didn't even ask for my keys back when I resigned!
Pros
Double tome and a half on public holidays.
Poor regional managers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria14 September 2016
Fantastic team members at store level. Its a shame you don't have the support needed from the regional managers. Regional managers are not easily contacted, unrealistic targets and bully managers.

Poor rate of pay in relation to the work load.

I do not recommend working for this company
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Terrible regional managers and rate of pay
poorly paid managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne South East VIC9 July 2016
I started as a manager early in the year, and quickly relised it was not a good company to work for,
The pay for managers is atrocious literally just over $700 a week...FOR A MANAGER!!!
They do not have managers work on a sunday or public holiday as it costs more...they are all about KPI'S, budgets, cutting hrs, not helping their staff,
The only good thing about me working at strandbags was my team, they were amazing and really enjoyed working with them, (they have also left due to hrs being cut) 3hrs a week... strandbags are a joke.
Massive turnover in managers especially, does not have a good reputation for a business at all.
Absolutely not worth anyones time or effort to work for strandbags,,, plus you will never be appreciated.
Pros
good staff members (if they don't quit due to hrs being cut)
Cons
no respect, area manager is sole reason many people quit as well as bad pay, unrealistic budgets, no help
Up and down work environment
Retail Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast, QLD8 December 2015
Inconsistent work place, supportive management. Very much about numbers and budgets not alot of room to grow and further your career. It is a very hit and miss shop, there would be days when very busy and others when you were dead quiet. Always something to do so no standing around. There was not a lot of variety in duties it is pretty black and white and the same tasks day to day the only varying factor was the customers needs and wants.
Completely unprofessional workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobart, TAS20 October 2015
Managers were awful, treated casual staff like scum whilst taking as many breaks as they could and offering money to stay back on shifts for them. Regional manager was the reason I resigned, not recognition or respect for anyone but managers. High staff turnover due to unprofessional and unfair treatment of casuals.
very low income for a Managers role
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney8 September 2015
You never get reconised for the hard work you put in. They are a very tight company you never ever get a pay rise.
In my 6yrs as a store manager not once did i get a pay rise for my efforts. Theres no opportunity for growth in your career. Store managers come & go. Regional managers come & go

There expectations are too high. If your a casual & you dont meet your daily target then you don't get hrs the next week
Pros
40% discount on bags
Cons
long days, no help from higher management
lot's of fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Munno Para, SA29 April 2015
loved it ..the Team I worked with , to me were fantastic, reliable, honest , all the things that you wish in a team . and their passion for sales was undeniable ...perhaps that was why I was so happy there ...I didn't have to worry about anything ...apart from striving for budget ...even that we had fun with ... and we always had a great regional for advice, the support from the office girls to the Management was always there .This is a professional Company, so we all knew what was expected ....
Pros
the whole team was fun
Cons
too much paperwork started to creep in to the point of ridiculous
Horrible company to work for
Casual (Former Employee) –  Mackay6 November 2014
In under 3 years I had 4 managers and 3 area managers. There is a reason people don't stay with this company and they have a high turn over of staff. Anyone I know who has worked for them only has bad things to say. They have no communication skills, unrealistic budget expectations and too much pressure on their stores to meet these goals.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Done lots of over time unpaid. You don't get recognised for your efforts. They never say thank you.
A solid and stable Company with Customer Service and Staff Development a huge focus
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Sth Aust22 April 2014
On the job training and coaching of all staff was part of a typical day at work. Along with this, store presentation, achievement of Sales Budgets, Management of costs, mentoring and developing the team were paramount to Strandbags success
Strandbags is a great Company to work for and offers stability and room for advancement. Every day provided different challenges but I found this exciting and rewarding.
Pros
Good work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strandbags. Our community is ready to answer.