Strandbags Management reviews

toxic environment with high staff turn over
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  qld18 March 2019
Strandbags culture forces staff to compete against each other to fulfill personal budgets which results in staff stealing sales from each other (including the manager) just to keep hours.

Staff are constantly stressed and dismissed when concerns are raised, dubbed as 'lazy' and 'entitled' and general gas lighting and bullying occurs by management and other staff daily.

There is no loyalty to staff, they will cut you down to 3 hours a week and cite 'performance' as a reason, which would be reasonable if budgets were feasible.

Management will tell you staff only do one stock shift a week that makes it impossible to make budget, and will generally target one or two staff for the actual day to day behind the scenes jobs so its impossible to make your budget then blame you for not making your budget.

If anyone comes in with a strandbags bag in hand, staff will scatter away so they don't have to process the likely return, again, including the manager.

Backrooms are cramped and stock is piled from the ground to the ceiling, with luggage everywhere in a tiny room which makes it hard to use ladders safely.

Have received emails from head office that when a leather bag comes in with mould on it to wipe it off and sell it anyways.

The only good part of this job is he camaraderie you can build with some staff because you're all in the same boat.

The point of sale system is old, outdated and every single process is overly complicated with multiple paperwork, all designed with the intention of All Staff Steals.
Pros
some genuine friends can be made here
Cons
toxic environment, high budgets, no sense of team
Strandbags was very big on customer satisfaction and was a fun environment to work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coffs Harbour NSW27 January 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying my customers needs. The Team of workers was exceptional and the hours were flexible .It was a very satisfying job, close to home and Management was very understanding to all of the staffs needs.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Working weekends
Worst workplace EVER!
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 September 2018
This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Shifts are meant to be based on sales and yet they aren't and are just given to the women who are friends with the manager. Upper management is useless! They never care about anything until you don't make budget and then they make sure to call and tell you how disappointing you are and how you must not have tried hard enough. The store rooms are unsafe as they are way overstocked and never organised properly. I hurt myself numerous times and made incident reports and not once did the regional or manager ask if I was ok. We were treated like slaves and given numerous unrealistic tasks and high budgets to do during a 3 hour shift and if they aren't done by the end of shift we lose hours the following week. Its made harder by casuals having to compete for sales and some resorting to bullying tactics and stealing sales in order to make their budget. There is so many more things wrong with this company but I will stop there. All in all I would never recommend working here to anyone!
Pros
40% off full price stock
Cons
Everything else
Overall not very good
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane Airport QLD16 March 2018
Management is terrible, regional managers or a particular one is a nightmare, unreliable, untrustworthy, childish and plain rude. No respect for casual staff. As for the general manager some like to pick and choose, rosters are supposedly based on KIP’s which is not the case as it is who she favours the most regardless of the amount of work they or others do. I would not reccomand.
Pros
40% discount off full priced items
Cons
Highly competetive workplace due to budgets needing to be met to get shifts
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW3 March 2018
I worked at Strandbags for just over two years. When I began, budgets were reasonable and from that, I was not stressed at work about getting shifts as I could make my budget. As time went on, budgets went up, competitiveness between staff increased and stress increased to make budgets. No benefits for making budget. Only trouble from upper management if you were unable to make budget.
Good discount on stock, poor OH&S requirements due to overstocking in the back room and not enough space.
Pros
Discounts, varied shifts, reasonable pay
Cons
Sales focused, competitive workplace, under appreicated
Terrible people skills in upper management poor culture
Previous store manager (Former Employee) –  Nsw20 February 2018
Not a happy environment bullying tactics from upper management poor people skills & unprofessional
high & unrealistic targets & expectations
no support don’t believe in team focus is on individual
Pros
Cons
Unhappy demeaning culture
Horrible people to work for.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA27 January 2018
These girls are so nice to your face, but then say horrible things about you behind your back. Doesn't give you enough training and expects you to know everything. Not enough hours.
Pros
Busy sales environment which is balanced with an awesome team
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Perth WA23 October 2017
Exceptionally busy sales environment
I have learned of the importance of multi-skilling, KPIs and sales focus, customer service and boundaries at this workplace
Relaxed but professional management
Supportive and team
Pros
Great team of people, Flexible hours if you are a student, Management is professional
Cons
Shop is too small/crowded, High staff turnover
This was a good company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitfords Beach WA4 October 2017
This company was goid to work for i had not to many issues only with some staff due to bad attitude but other than that fine. I wish they really learned to value there team
Pros
I had great staff
Cons
No communication
Bully manager
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA16 August 2017
the ladies i worked with were great and it was such a great environment until the bully manager comes in. worse is the regional manager knows about all these but didn't do anything about it. just as bad
Pros
great workmates
Cons
bully manager
Unrealistic expectations
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 July 2017
The lowest income
Unrealistic expectations
Impossible to complete tasks in time given
Regional Managers don't answer phone or return calls
Head Office over staffed
No H R department for staff issues
Pros
Cons
Huge amount of your own time used to keep store to company expectations
Horrible pay. No support
Manager (Former Employee) –  Queensland8 March 2017
Minimum wage, not much support from regional managers, can go weeks without speaking, never replies or reads emails. Every store is the same they don't look at how individual stores are trading and offer changes that would help.sales are always the same and the product mark up is horrible. Their gross profit would be through the roof. If you Make the stores monthly budget management get a bonus but they're unrealistic budgets and bonuses are paid on top of your wage so it all goes to tax any way. Casual staff get paid well for the amount of work they have to do.
Once you're a manager there's no futher advancement. Quiet a boring job
Pros
Meet great people
Cons
Lack of support and wage
Worse place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC14 February 2017
Not a happy environment the manager was rude and didn't know how to speak to staff . She would say one thing and do another . Never take charge of her wrong doing and would blame the casuals. Roster was based on favourites this particular store will go down the drain very fast with management like that . Have been in retail for a long time have never worked for such an inconsistent company .
Pros
Meet a great friend
Cons
Manager
manager at orang mall not a good person
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dubbo NSW9 January 2017
i loved working for strand bags dubs square but working at orang mall was stressful and uncomfortable. would work for the company again but not under the orana mall manager
No support from Regional Manager - didn't even reply to messages, emails or phone calls.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD4 October 2016
Had a theft and the regional manager wouldn't even reply to my calls or email or message! Unrealistic budgets especially on Sundays and Public Holidays! Rosters all over the place and would be called in last minute. Found that some staff were favoured over the other. My regional manager spoke behind my back and my manager told me! Do not reccomend. They didn't even ask for my keys back when I resigned!
Pros
Double tome and a half on public holidays.
Poor regional managers
Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria14 September 2016
Fantastic team members at store level. Its a shame you don't have the support needed from the regional managers. Regional managers are not easily contacted, unrealistic targets and bully managers.

Poor rate of pay in relation to the work load.

I do not recommend working for this company
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Terrible regional managers and rate of pay
poorly paid managers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne South East VIC9 July 2016
I started as a manager early in the year, and quickly relised it was not a good company to work for,
The pay for managers is atrocious literally just over $700 a week...FOR A MANAGER!!!
They do not have managers work on a sunday or public holiday as it costs more...they are all about KPI'S, budgets, cutting hrs, not helping their staff,
The only good thing about me working at strandbags was my team, they were amazing and really enjoyed working with them, (they have also left due to hrs being cut) 3hrs a week... strandbags are a joke.
Massive turnover in managers especially, does not have a good reputation for a business at all.
Absolutely not worth anyones time or effort to work for strandbags,,, plus you will never be appreciated.
Pros
good staff members (if they don't quit due to hrs being cut)
Cons
no respect, area manager is sole reason many people quit as well as bad pay, unrealistic budgets, no help
Up and down work environment
Retail Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast, QLD8 December 2015
Inconsistent work place, supportive management. Very much about numbers and budgets not alot of room to grow and further your career. It is a very hit and miss shop, there would be days when very busy and others when you were dead quiet. Always something to do so no standing around. There was not a lot of variety in duties it is pretty black and white and the same tasks day to day the only varying factor was the customers needs and wants.
Completely unprofessional workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hobart, TAS20 October 2015
Managers were awful, treated casual staff like scum whilst taking as many breaks as they could and offering money to stay back on shifts for them. Regional manager was the reason I resigned, not recognition or respect for anyone but managers. High staff turnover due to unprofessional and unfair treatment of casuals.
very low income for a Managers role
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney8 September 2015
You never get reconised for the hard work you put in. They are a very tight company you never ever get a pay rise.
In my 6yrs as a store manager not once did i get a pay rise for my efforts. Theres no opportunity for growth in your career. Store managers come & go. Regional managers come & go

There expectations are too high. If your a casual & you dont meet your daily target then you don't get hrs the next week
Pros
40% discount on bags
Cons
long days, no help from higher management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Strandbags. Our community is ready to answer.