Subway

Subway Employee Reviews

Australia1,443 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 1,443 reviews matching the searchSee all 54,690 reviews

Can be a fun place to work at times

Easy to learnFast pacedCan be stressfulUnrealistic times given to open and close the shop Have to learn every aspect of running the store regardless of position

Too low of a pay

The wages and the work you do and the amount of it, do not match. The job is heavily understaffed so you might end up doing the work of 2 to 3 people at a time by yourself.

Fast paced, friendly workplace

It depends on what restaurant you work at, but overall the experience was great. Paid well and paid for weekends and public holidays. Management were easy to get along with.

Why do I have to write one of these it’s annoying and they were okay the people there are nice they listen and over all it quite nice I wouldn’t recommend if this is your first job

Pros

Free drink

Cons

The first shift is hectic

Poor Pay

I was paid below minimum and was not given penalty rates upon working public holidays or weekends or over time. The people I worked with were overall nasty and enjoyed spreading rumours about eachother. They pick on new people and make it hard to enjoy coming to work.

Pros

50% off employee discount

Cons

No extra pay and below minimum wage

Fast paced and management was terrible

Subway is a good first job, it has alot of benefits in regards to learning good skills, which can be used in future opportunities. Although the job was extremely stressful and management was super unprofessional. I found that they broke alot of rules in regards to casual staff such as not allowing staff to book time off. They also struggled with maintaining a good strong work team due to the treatment of staff. On busy days we would be understaffed and then reemed for any mistakes/getting out late the next day. I also found that the owners specifically at most subways are very hard to get along with due to favouritism and they would talk about you behind your back. I think it is a good first job but as someone who has worked at subway for a while, I have found that you have to be super careful with knowing your rights as a casual employee and making sure that your boss cannot abuse your lack of knowledge and take advantage of that, especially for younger staff. Also the customers can be super abusive and disrespectful. You get treated horribly sometimes because they forget that you're human.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

unpredictable schedule, management

productive and fun

working here has been great, especially for gaining experience. I got to make friends as well as good work life balance. I really love working in Subway.

Mid

It's a fun place to work at when there are not too many customers. Stocking up is easy and everything overall is easy to get the hang of when you are properly trained

Subway

I worked here in Mooloolaba and Kawana stores and had a very bad experience being understaffed with only 2 staff when needed 5 or 6 during peak times. Management didn't do anything to help when there were issues and I was paid poorly. Few workers were okay to get along with however others were hard to deal with such as vaping underage out the back while we tried to serve customers. There was very fast turn over of staff where people wouldn't come back after first trial and only two stayed through months of working. Therefore we weren't trained because they didn't take time for that. I don't like to give bad reviews and have heard of other good subways to work at but here was a very poor experience.

Overall it’s a good part time job but not career wise

Currently working there (6 months), love the management and people i work with! Sometimes there are long hours (with senior staff) but overall, they’re very flexible with your availability.Caution: it’s part time not casual so no casual loading which sucks

Pros

Free 6 inch sub

Cons

Long hours, difficult customers

Stressful + Poor management

You aren’t treated well for how much you put into the company, the staff are always good but the workload is so stressful for minimum pay, since they’re always pushing you to do better and go above and beyond but don’t appreciate you for it

Pros

Good staff, 50% discount while working

Cons

Stressful, poorly managed

Not Worth It

Management is terrible at Subway. They don't care about their staff regardless of what they say. I've worked across multiple stores and all I can say is that it's disappointing how much we work for such little pay. But, I would recommend this job for a junior high school student, it provides decent work experience. As a senior staff member, I got asked several times to cover multiple shifts over various stores, they wouldn't respect my availability - no matter how many times I tell them + update it. The management team is quick to blame the staff without really looking into anything. I've noticed Subway staff members gossip a quite a bit... It low-key feels like high school over again. The hardest part of the job would be when your junior staff doesn't want to do their part or don't do it properly, so, you have to backtrack and do their jobs (again). If not that, the lack of staff when working at certain points - some nights we can't close the store at the delegated time due to sales and cleaning jobs (we only have 2 staff members). The only things I enjoyed at subway were the free meals (occasionally)/ 50% all meals on shift. The workplace is toxic although you do meet some cool people.

Pros

50% discount, time-management

Cons

inconsistant hours, low pay, bad management

not good job

the money was very bad and management is very different and allways changing as they moved store to store but i only worked there 1 day a year so it was fine.

terrible workplace

it is super easy to work at subway - it’s not a hard job at all. however, at my subway, working there was awful. we were expected to work overtime with no extra pay, which sometimes resulted in less than 10 hours between shifts. our boss was manipulative and continuously gaslit employees.

Pros

easy job

Cons

unrealistic hours and working expectations, bad management

Actual realistic jobs roles, compared to what was mentioned during the interview compared to expectations now are far different.

I have managed to achieve some impressive goals in my very short time as Manager - including the first REVS Pass for the store in more than five previous evaluations! Upon finding out only 48hrs prior to the check of how badly the restaurant has previously performed.Without knowing this previously I had already begun many improvements in-store including retraining, maintenance, cleaning and customer experience intiatives… With gaining this first Pass that was seemingly impossible for the store I have equally not received even a ‘Thankyou’ from any senior staff, nor the owners, instead simply just able to gain the smile and appreciation of a few of my good, reliable and productive staff.On top of this no appreciation for the constant excessively long hours in my own time to improve the Stores quality from the Front door, all the way to the Back! Yes, working for free and even paying to get basic improvements and organisational things done. The processes are outdated, the system has multitudes of fail points, and the staff are overworked and underpaid. I don’t show this to anyone, I am a professional through and through, but change needs to happen or the Subway brand is going to struggle to stay around for much longer in it’s current form.The jobs are not, instead they are made difficult, primarily by a poor outdated system and a very poor training process

Fast paced, okay management, understaffed

It was an okay overall work experience, nice as a first job save for car type of thing. Management didnt really respect my availability as they were typically understaffed so i struggled alot to balance work/life/study. As a fulltime university student, i had to defer multiple times to manage stress. The people you work with are nice, sometimes theres drama, depending on where you’re at.

Lots of fun, made great friends. Would definitely recommend to new workers as you learn a lot and have a good time learning. Management isn’t bad and is very flexible

Amazing co-workers awful upper management

Co-workers are lovely people. Plenty of time to bond and look after each other. AWFUL owner. No rates. Doesn't care about your safety. Please for the love of god read your contract very very carefully. You could end up signing away every weekend of the foreseeable future and getting no extra pay for it. Minimum wage on a public holiday with no rates. CHRISTMAS EVE with no rates. Your co workers will make or break this job too.

Pros

Amazing Co-workers and you learn a lot

Cons

A bad owner can really take advantage of you

Fun and easy

Working at subway is exactly what you think it would be like. Coworkers are great for the most part, I made some good friends. I didn’t have a great experience with the management however because it’s a franchise the quality will vary from place to place. You clean and make sandwiches and you’re able to go home and not think about work until you start again. Definitely a good first job, gives you the basic skills.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Subway as a whole is not a nice company

While it varies from store to store the people you work with and for are lovely but the company header of Subway is pretty bad. I didn’t feel like they cared about their franchises or their employees at all.

Pros

You make good friendships

Cons

Early starts, ridiculous store costs, don’t buy into the company unless you want to own more than one.

Managment is horrible, they treat employees like dirt and every shift is stressful because bad employees arent held accountable

Employees who dont do their job have no reprimand of any kind meaning the person on the next shift has to do their work as well for no extra pay. Managment does not care about employees - they only care about the store making more money. They put insane amounts of pressure of the manager to perform and threaten them with being fired if they dont live up to impossible. There has not been a 6 month period while I have worked there where no one has quit. The pay is minimum wage for the industry and is only worth it if you are lucky enough to work at a quiet store with a great manager (who the higher ups like) and habe coworkers who actually do their jobs. Because of the quick employeee turnover times, you do get to meet a lot of people and the fast paced environment means you speak to many different people every day. This provides a great opportunity to develop customer service skills as they are essential for this job. I would not reccomend working here if you care about your mental health as the job is stressful and you constantly will feel like you dont matter to the higher ups but if for some reason you do decide too, you will greatly develop your customer service/people skills, potentially make some friends and learn basic food handling skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Subway with