Subway
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Subway Employee Reviews

Australia1,409 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 1,409 reviews matching the searchSee all 53,397 reviews

Quiet mostly but can get stressful (typically for beginners)

Managers were quite polite and explained to me what I had to do. You learn how to use the cash register and perform quite manual tasks. Very few customers can be difficult to work with.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Every shift is the same thing

Pretty good

I enjoyed working here. The work wasn't too hard, but it got stressful when closing sometimes. The people were my favourite part, the people I worked with were really nice and most of the customers were pretty nice too. The hardest part for me was doing closing shifts on busy days.

Pros

Friendly team, staff discount

Cons

Short staffed, sometimes overworked

Overworked, underpaid, customers suck

The job itself wasn't bad, when we were busy like any store I could be stressful but the management was poor, the owner didn't care about the employees. We were very underpaid and they employed us part time instead if casual. We were overworked often asked to work many more hours then we should, also I was lucky in charge of closing the store at 16 with no other seniors. Would be an alright job but needs different management

Exhaustive environment with no support

Don’t work here for long, as a high schedule/uni student it’s better than no income but unless you are already some who can work autonomously, you will struggle.

Pros

Discounted food

Cons

The summary is that I was under a lot of pressure and stress, it just got to hard for me.

It was okay at first but things just didn't work out and everything just got to hard as much as l wanted to keep working at subway and try my best, it felt like everything l did just wasn't going right.

Pros

Free discounts

Cons

Difficult customers

Good and bad experience

Typical fast food joint that only cares about making profits and doesn't care about or value their employees.May look like an easy job on the outside but on the inside is definitely not an easy job. Requires you to be fast paced, and serve customers while at the same time doing a lot of behind the scenes work like heavy lifting, dish washing, preparing and stocking food, cleaning and so on.

Pros

Good coworkers and supervisors, Good training, Making subs can be fun, Free food, Talking to customers, Some benefits

Cons

Coworkers who are lazy/incompetent/unhygienic/nit picky, Rude customers and delivery drivers, Stressful, No time to rest, Wrong pay, No penalty/award rates, Rostered alone for long hours to save on "costs", Expected to do the workload of 2-3 people by yourself, Always ignored by manager

Alright place

The interview was okay. The manager was a bit disorganised and stingy; liked to give people very little amounts of food and would get angry if you added “too much”. Seemed quite disorganised and like they were losing money.

Pros

Free meal every shift

Cons

Low pay, long hours

A bit too much for a new person.

have to memorise all the ingredients expected to know everything stressfulnot too many ppl working at the same timemanagement is okayco-workers are okay

Pros

free lunches

Cons

fast-paced

good for your first job I guess

the hardest part was when it would get busy and all the customers would get annoyed and it tends to stress you out, sometimes a customer would order a lot and that would also stress you out. but the workers there are usually very nice.

Pros

free food and drinks

Cons

Good management, interesting work, low pay

This is a good place to work for your first job. The management was good, I worked with my manager most shifts so he understands what it is like working in fast food and treats us fairly. The work is interesting and it is a fast paced place to work when busy. I learnt a lot from this job. The negatives are that they pay is not great. I was paid a part time wage when I really should have been paid casual wage as I don't have part time benefits.

Pros

Free lunches Good management Great workplace culture Enjoyable work

Cons

Low pay

Can be good if your boss isn’t a manic jerk

Dreaded work. Boss is a control freak. Thought I was going to get fired if I gave a customer more than two napkins. The staff were good to work with tho.

Pros

Cool colleagues

Cons

Everything else

good job for students

i worked here for a year during high school and it’s honestly a great job! there’s not many workers during shifts (usually just you and another person) so it’s usually a calm and relaxed environment, however during peak hour it gets extremely busy, and can be difficult especially with a whole line waiting to be serve with limited workers on shift and only one toaster.

Pros

- free 6inch per shift, great work life balance, management was very understanding, very quiet at times

Cons

- limited workers on shift

Okay / productivr

Good for a 1st job for people in fast food industry.Hours and working across different stores is good to see how others are run, gives you good food handling experience.

Horrible management, late pay, wrong pay amount, terrible communication, bullying and lack of consistency

Pay is always inaccurate and late, weekly rosters are always changing and never consistent. There is a lot of staff but no one wants to come in to work. There is also poor management due to them rarely coming in to help train people. When they do come in the always mess up peoples hours on the time sheet and pick on staff members for doing small things incorrectly. Their communication is terrible regards to questions and concerns. They seem to care about sales more than their employees and the employees well-being. When you ask them about getting new uniform it takes around 2 months to receive it and ends up being an incorrect size you didn’t ask for. Overall hated working here

Pros

50% discount after 5 hours

Cons

Everything else

Bad place to work at, really stressful.

The management at subway was horrible. The managers don’t train you on how to do anything they just tell you to watch what everyone else is doing and then do it. I didn’t know what ingredients were which I was just expected to know. I spent most my time washing dishes because no one wanted to help train me on how to making sandwiches. I was starting to get better at making sandwiches but then i received an email saying I failed to pass the probation period when I never even received any proper training from anyone. I was just expected to know what to do. Horrible experience don’t work there

Cons

All of it, pay was bad, the stores were disgusting

Fun! Good For Young Part-Time Students

The Pay Is Really Good For A Younger Person, Relatively Easy Work But Also Provides Really Useful Hospitality Skills For The Future, Good Hours For Those With The Availability.

Pros

Pay & Management

Cons

Long Hours & Extensive Training

Good first job especially for fast food

In the scheme of things, Subway was a good place to work at for fast food as you don't have to stand over grillers/fryers and there's not as much manual work. The coworkers I had were all pretty nice. Manager was a big aggregator of the gossip however we knew at the end of the day she had our back. However, never got paid any superannuation in the whole time that I worked there despite me being 18-19 and the franchisee owning a fancy car and the like. Food safety fluctuated depending who was on shift.

Pros

50% discount, nice people

Cons

No super

Worst part time job so far

Little to no training, thrown into deep end and expected to know everything. Continued to get into trouble for things that weren’t my fault, people weren’t held accountable for their mistakes and blame placed on me. No support at all from management. Asked for an extra staff member when I required however never received it and had to stay back ridiculous hours. Again no support from management.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, no support from management, poor pay, poor management.

Meh place to work at

Typical day would be doing prep, baking bread, serving customers and doing platters. Management wasn't that great as we kept getting different managers every few months. Store would struggle due to understaff. Management was also kinda of racist. Management would care about you but not so much. The policy of asking someone else to cover your shift when you called in sick was absolutely ridiculous like I reckon even if I admitted to the hospital, they would still want me to call people to cover my shift. If you didn't find a cover for your shift for which you called in sick, you would have to go in and work. That is actually ridiculous, I don't know the policy makers were thinking, it makes it hard on us as employees. Some staff left the dishes or prep for the next person so they did not care about the next person in shift. Customers were super rude when we told we are out of some items and when they were told that there weren't any in the warehouse, they made it look like it was our fault. The whole atmosphere of coming into work was not great cause it was literally the same thing everyday

Pros

Sometime free lunches. 50% discount

Cons

Poor Management, Repetitive work, Pay is not that great

Toxic

Awful management, dying brand, terrible culture at all 3 stores I worked at. Usually understaffed. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless desperate & hopefully you don't stay too long.

Bad workplace

Over worked and under paid. The managers get away with treating you like dirt and less than human. Almost all shift are understaffed and when someone calls In sick there are not enough people to cover. ZOver all to much work or little outcome.

Pros

50% discount while working

Cons

Under staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7