Subway

Brisbane QLD79 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 79 reviews matching the searchSee all 54,984 reviews

Pretty good

I enjoyed working here. The work wasn't too hard, but it got stressful when closing sometimes. The people were my favourite part, the people I worked with were really nice and most of the customers were pretty nice too. The hardest part for me was doing closing shifts on busy days.

Pros

Friendly team, staff discount

Cons

Short staffed, sometimes overworked

Fast paced, friendly workplace

It depends on what restaurant you work at, but overall the experience was great. Paid well and paid for weekends and public holidays. Management were easy to get along with.

Not Worth It

Management is terrible at Subway. They don't care about their staff regardless of what they say. I've worked across multiple stores and all I can say is that it's disappointing how much we work for such little pay. But, I would recommend this job for a junior high school student, it provides decent work experience. As a senior staff member, I got asked several times to cover multiple shifts over various stores, they wouldn't respect my availability - no matter how many times I tell them + update it. The management team is quick to blame the staff without really looking into anything. I've noticed Subway staff members gossip a quite a bit... It low-key feels like high school over again. The hardest part of the job would be when your junior staff doesn't want to do their part or don't do it properly, so, you have to backtrack and do their jobs (again). If not that, the lack of staff when working at certain points - some nights we can't close the store at the delegated time due to sales and cleaning jobs (we only have 2 staff members). The only things I enjoyed at subway were the free meals (occasionally)/ 50% all meals on shift. The workplace is toxic although you do meet some cool people.

Pros

50% discount, time-management

Cons

inconsistant hours, low pay, bad management

Actual realistic jobs roles, compared to what was mentioned during the interview compared to expectations now are far different.

I have managed to achieve some impressive goals in my very short time as Manager - including the first REVS Pass for the store in more than five previous evaluations! Upon finding out only 48hrs prior to the check of how badly the restaurant has previously performed.Without knowing this previously I had already begun many improvements in-store including retraining, maintenance, cleaning and customer experience intiatives… With gaining this first Pass that was seemingly impossible for the store I have equally not received even a ‘Thankyou’ from any senior staff, nor the owners, instead simply just able to gain the smile and appreciation of a few of my good, reliable and productive staff.On top of this no appreciation for the constant excessively long hours in my own time to improve the Stores quality from the Front door, all the way to the Back! Yes, working for free and even paying to get basic improvements and organisational things done. The processes are outdated, the system has multitudes of fail points, and the staff are overworked and underpaid. I don’t show this to anyone, I am a professional through and through, but change needs to happen or the Subway brand is going to struggle to stay around for much longer in it’s current form.The jobs are not, instead they are made difficult, primarily by a poor outdated system and a very poor training process

not the greatest place for wanting to advance

doesn’t provide good communication , work life balance is the greatest, pay isn’t the best may have changed though haven’t been there since a few years

Gross, money hungry corporate, parading around like a family buisness

Don’t ever work for them! Especially if you’re someone with self respect and are able to be assertive, they want mindless drones to run their stores. There’s an expectation that you and your co workers will not work together at all so everyone just does their own thing, Instead of working together. Workers have to do so much in so little time, it’s an incredibly clique-y environment and the managers are very possessive of tasks, and there’s a chance a crazy co worker might stab you from time to time, because they don’t fire people ever! They especially don’t do training to see if you’re any good at the job, they just chuck you right in. There is nothing good about this job

Pros

25% off on food, and maybe a lovely regular customer

Cons

Everything else!!!!

Okay / productivr

Good for a 1st job for people in fast food industry.Hours and working across different stores is good to see how others are run, gives you good food handling experience.

Fun! Good For Young Part-Time Students

The Pay Is Really Good For A Younger Person, Relatively Easy Work But Also Provides Really Useful Hospitality Skills For The Future, Good Hours For Those With The Availability.

Pros

Pay & Management

Cons

Long Hours & Extensive Training

Toxic

Awful management, dying brand, terrible culture at all 3 stores I worked at. Usually understaffed. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless desperate & hopefully you don't stay too long.

unproductive, bullying

at the subway restaurant I worked at I experienced work place bullying. on my first day other people were telling me about how they hated working there, I never got any training, overall the environment was dull.

Easy job, good for high school students

I worked at subway for a year as a casual while in my last year of high school. The job was very easy to learn and pick up with lots of opportunity to be promoted after a few months if you do well. Quality of management will vary depending where you work. I don't know if this was just my store, but there was always so much drama and pettiness between coworkers. Overall very good if in high school as you can work evenings and early mornings as well as weekends, however it might take you a while before getting consistent shifts. Pay is too low if a uni student/grad or living out of home but reasonable for 14 to 18 year olds still living at home. Not the best casual job I've had but its a good foot in the door as a young person to gain experience for a better job as they don't require experience to be hired.

Pros

Free drinks during work hours, easy work

Cons

Sometimes rude and picky customers, difficult coworkers

Tolerable Job

Worked as a senior sandwich artist, and in that position you have more responsibilities than a junior sandwich artist obviously. Everyday was a new day some days were busy others not, there were frequent customers and some not-so nice customers. Management is quite iffy but alright. Overall working there was quite tolerable, can be fun when working along side another fellow colleague, and was able to learn new skills but it isn't a great long-term job because the pay isn't that great, no penalty rates on the weekends and public holidays; and everything is repetitive so it becomes non-enjoyable after awhile. When it came to rostering, the rosters come out weekly so it gets quite messy when you have plans or schooling/uni.

Pros

25% off staff discounts

Cons

Stressful when you're by yourself, The pay rate isn't great, Rosters are unorganized, Last minute callings to cover shifts

It was okay

People were great but the pay wasn't worth the work. I think Subway has a fair amount of things to work on as far as pay goes. The people however were great to work with.

Fun Workplace, Poor Management and Overall Care of Owner

Worked at Subway for 5 years while studying at uni. Shifts are flexible to study and there is a healthy job work/life balance. Most other employees were wonderful to work with and created an overall fun environment to work. Unfortunately, the owner was very slack when it came to taking care of his business and disregarded the health and safety of staff. There were numerous hazards and risks observed by employees and brought to the attention of the owner to be rectified. However, he didn't attempt to solve issues, even if there was risk of injury. Pay is average, no penalty rates. Owner also tried to underpay staff numerous staff and when this was brought up, staff were told to 'just take extra breaks sometime'. Obviously the work experience has a lot to do with who the owner is.

Fast paced and stressful job

Not a job for someone that can't handle multitasking and being yelled at by management. They understaff people on closing shifts and leave all the cleaning work to the junior to do. They have unrealistic expectations and expect the junior to complete 3 hours' worth of cleaning tasks in only 1.5 hours while serving customers.

Very friendly environment

Manager/s at Subway are very understanding when you have personal and work problems and are very fair when they occur. Pay gets better the higher your position is, but overall a nice place to be at.

Subway

Subway was good, the environment is really good and so are the people. Provides great experience in the food industry and helps prepare you for a fast paced environment

Workplace environment and salary rate

subway is a great place to work if you don't have a university. This job provides pros and cons. Pros being, the job is enjoyable and the amount of amazing people you meet, however the cons it provides is the fact that they have a really low salary rate and you don't even get paid for overworking.

Friendly environment

Great team mates great quality controll of food products excellent customer service levels good levels of experience and knowledge of all products on menu

extremely fast- paced however under- appreciated work

The physical environment is dirty and unprofessional. Management and store owners do not acknowledge or appreciate the work of their employees. The only positive aspect of working at Subway were the connections made with fellow employees.

Not paid enough for the enormous work load

Subway was okay, but the amount of work they expect you to do for the little pay you receive is ridiculous. I left because I knew I could have an easier job elsewhere for almost double the pay. Consider how much you need money before getting the job... and expect heaps of chores and cleaning.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Subway with