Subway

Sandwich Maker824 reviews
Australia824 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 824 reviews matching the searchSee all 54,658 reviews

Can be a fun place to work at times

Easy to learnFast pacedCan be stressfulUnrealistic times given to open and close the shop Have to learn every aspect of running the store regardless of position

Why do I have to write one of these it’s annoying and they were okay the people there are nice they listen and over all it quite nice I wouldn’t recommend if this is your first job

Pros

Free drink

Cons

The first shift is hectic

Poor Pay

I was paid below minimum and was not given penalty rates upon working public holidays or weekends or over time. The people I worked with were overall nasty and enjoyed spreading rumours about eachother. They pick on new people and make it hard to enjoy coming to work.

Pros

50% off employee discount

Cons

No extra pay and below minimum wage

Fast paced and management was terrible

Subway is a good first job, it has alot of benefits in regards to learning good skills, which can be used in future opportunities. Although the job was extremely stressful and management was super unprofessional. I found that they broke alot of rules in regards to casual staff such as not allowing staff to book time off. They also struggled with maintaining a good strong work team due to the treatment of staff. On busy days we would be understaffed and then reemed for any mistakes/getting out late the next day. I also found that the owners specifically at most subways are very hard to get along with due to favouritism and they would talk about you behind your back. I think it is a good first job but as someone who has worked at subway for a while, I have found that you have to be super careful with knowing your rights as a casual employee and making sure that your boss cannot abuse your lack of knowledge and take advantage of that, especially for younger staff. Also the customers can be super abusive and disrespectful. You get treated horribly sometimes because they forget that you're human.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

unpredictable schedule, management

Overall it’s a good part time job but not career wise

Currently working there (6 months), love the management and people i work with! Sometimes there are long hours (with senior staff) but overall, they’re very flexible with your availability.Caution: it’s part time not casual so no casual loading which sucks

Pros

Free 6 inch sub

Cons

Long hours, difficult customers

Not Worth It

Management is terrible at Subway. They don't care about their staff regardless of what they say. I've worked across multiple stores and all I can say is that it's disappointing how much we work for such little pay. But, I would recommend this job for a junior high school student, it provides decent work experience. As a senior staff member, I got asked several times to cover multiple shifts over various stores, they wouldn't respect my availability - no matter how many times I tell them + update it. The management team is quick to blame the staff without really looking into anything. I've noticed Subway staff members gossip a quite a bit... It low-key feels like high school over again. The hardest part of the job would be when your junior staff doesn't want to do their part or don't do it properly, so, you have to backtrack and do their jobs (again). If not that, the lack of staff when working at certain points - some nights we can't close the store at the delegated time due to sales and cleaning jobs (we only have 2 staff members). The only things I enjoyed at subway were the free meals (occasionally)/ 50% all meals on shift. The workplace is toxic although you do meet some cool people.

Pros

50% discount, time-management

Cons

inconsistant hours, low pay, bad management

Fast paced, okay management, understaffed

It was an okay overall work experience, nice as a first job save for car type of thing. Management didnt really respect my availability as they were typically understaffed so i struggled alot to balance work/life/study. As a fulltime university student, i had to defer multiple times to manage stress. The people you work with are nice, sometimes theres drama, depending on where you’re at.

Amazing co-workers awful upper management

Co-workers are lovely people. Plenty of time to bond and look after each other. AWFUL owner. No rates. Doesn't care about your safety. Please for the love of god read your contract very very carefully. You could end up signing away every weekend of the foreseeable future and getting no extra pay for it. Minimum wage on a public holiday with no rates. CHRISTMAS EVE with no rates. Your co workers will make or break this job too.

Pros

Amazing Co-workers and you learn a lot

Cons

A bad owner can really take advantage of you

Fun and easy

Working at subway is exactly what you think it would be like. Coworkers are great for the most part, I made some good friends. I didn’t have a great experience with the management however because it’s a franchise the quality will vary from place to place. You clean and make sandwiches and you’re able to go home and not think about work until you start again. Definitely a good first job, gives you the basic skills.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Subway as a whole is not a nice company

While it varies from store to store the people you work with and for are lovely but the company header of Subway is pretty bad. I didn’t feel like they cared about their franchises or their employees at all.

Pros

You make good friendships

Cons

Early starts, ridiculous store costs, don’t buy into the company unless you want to own more than one.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Subway?

Managment is horrible, they treat employees like dirt and every shift is stressful because bad employees arent held accountable

Employees who dont do their job have no reprimand of any kind meaning the person on the next shift has to do their work as well for no extra pay. Managment does not care about employees - they only care about the store making more money. They put insane amounts of pressure of the manager to perform and threaten them with being fired if they dont live up to impossible. There has not been a 6 month period while I have worked there where no one has quit. The pay is minimum wage for the industry and is only worth it if you are lucky enough to work at a quiet store with a great manager (who the higher ups like) and habe coworkers who actually do their jobs. Because of the quick employeee turnover times, you do get to meet a lot of people and the fast paced environment means you speak to many different people every day. This provides a great opportunity to develop customer service skills as they are essential for this job. I would not reccomend working here if you care about your mental health as the job is stressful and you constantly will feel like you dont matter to the higher ups but if for some reason you do decide too, you will greatly develop your customer service/people skills, potentially make some friends and learn basic food handling skills.

not the greatest place for wanting to advance

doesn’t provide good communication , work life balance is the greatest, pay isn’t the best may have changed though haven’t been there since a few years

It’s okay for a first job

Look I can’t say many people stuck around for long. The job itself sucks it’s the people you work with that make it better but even then it’s very competitive

Alright workplace, horrible management and pay rates.

I would not recommend this workplace to anyone under the age of 18, as the wages are unfair and below minimum wage for a casual worker. Employee’s are okay but management is terrible. Some horrible things go on behind the scenes of what is being put in your food.

Pros

other staff are okay

Cons

long hours, unpaid break, horrible wages, terrible manager.

Fun place to work. Pay is soo low, it's non-existent.

Management is helpful and great overallWork is easy and quick to learnFree foodFun co-workersReally bad payOverall, a good place for a first job

Same thing day in and day out

Good first job but definitely you need to move on after time. Once you hit manager not much further to go. Subway it's self is fine, the OTR franchisee is absolutely useless

Pros

The people

Cons

Underpaid

fast paced environment

Fast paced environment but family-like co workers with a wide age range of workers but majority girls bc of the ‘Subway look’. Have to be confident with talking to customers

Pros

Free lunches and snacks

Cons

long-ish hours and always standing up

Overall okay. Just expect a very fast paced, quick job. Not for those who like paying attention to detail or thorough work. The older you are, the more they obviously expect from you as they have to pay you more than they pay younger teenagers.

Pros

Good pay for the industry and good shifts

Cons

Expect you to work very very fast

Fast paced, stressful and difficult to enter workplace

Job was good, however pay rate was not fair and accommodating. Struggle to live off what was been paid by subway, application process after interview is long and very unnecessary as they retrained you on all of it. Benefits are very poor only 25% off during a shift, with no other bonuses

Pros

Gain customer communication experience

Cons

Long hours Poor coordination Mixed information Training online doesn’t line up with store training

I have worked at 3 different subways and the management is always terrible

They dont answer messages or phone calls for weeks at a time, don't give enough hours. Work is easy once you're trained but still stressful when it's really busy.

Pros

Free subs, friendly coworkers

Cons

Fast paced, bad management

Quiet mostly but can get stressful (typically for beginners)

Managers were quite polite and explained to me what I had to do. You learn how to use the cash register and perform quite manual tasks. Very few customers can be difficult to work with.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Every shift is the same thing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Subway
  • Sandwich Maker
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?