Subway

Australia41 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 41 reviews matching the searchSee all 54,658 reviews

Meh place to work at

Typical day would be doing prep, baking bread, serving customers and doing platters. Management wasn't that great as we kept getting different managers every few months. Store would struggle due to understaff. Management was also kinda of racist. Management would care about you but not so much. The policy of asking someone else to cover your shift when you called in sick was absolutely ridiculous like I reckon even if I admitted to the hospital, they would still want me to call people to cover my shift. If you didn't find a cover for your shift for which you called in sick, you would have to go in and work. That is actually ridiculous, I don't know the policy makers were thinking, it makes it hard on us as employees. Some staff left the dishes or prep for the next person so they did not care about the next person in shift. Customers were super rude when we told we are out of some items and when they were told that there weren't any in the warehouse, they made it look like it was our fault. The whole atmosphere of coming into work was not great cause it was literally the same thing everyday

Pros

Sometime free lunches. 50% discount

Cons

Poor Management, Repetitive work, Pay is not that great

Same thing each day

They hire anyone and put the responsibility of bad staff on their good staff and expect them to carry the weigh, really bad pay, asked for my contract multiple times and never received it. Expected to cover someone else’s shift when they called in sick for the night so had to do overtime without being asked.

Pros

Some great people

Cons

Shocking pay, bad management, no benefits.

Tolerable Job

Worked as a senior sandwich artist, and in that position you have more responsibilities than a junior sandwich artist obviously. Everyday was a new day some days were busy others not, there were frequent customers and some not-so nice customers. Management is quite iffy but alright. Overall working there was quite tolerable, can be fun when working along side another fellow colleague, and was able to learn new skills but it isn't a great long-term job because the pay isn't that great, no penalty rates on the weekends and public holidays; and everything is repetitive so it becomes non-enjoyable after awhile. When it came to rostering, the rosters come out weekly so it gets quite messy when you have plans or schooling/uni.

Pros

25% off staff discounts

Cons

Stressful when you're by yourself, The pay rate isn't great, Rosters are unorganized, Last minute callings to cover shifts

productive workplace

i enjoyed working at subway. i was the duty manager and later i managed the store. senior management depends from person to person. the store i worked was one of the busiest stores and it gave me the opportunity and ability to work my self in a fast paced environment.

Working in Subway was a great experience

I have enjoyed working in Subway but now it’s time for me to move on and found job in my career field (accounting). I have learnt a lot from working there.

Poorly treated

Worked as senior staff member for my brother for 8 yrs trained staff was in charge of night shift. New owners took over promised nothing would change, one and a half weeks hrs reduced from 30 to 3 senior staff status taken away from me. Overall was disgusted with treatment.Would not recommend working for Subway.

Good first job

Its a good first job or job to have when studying as you have a felxible roster and good manager to work with, recoomend it for young adults or teenagers

Fast-paced and fun work environment.

Working here was a great experience and enhanced my customer service skills by putting me in a stressful, fast-paced working environment. It was a fun workplace and made friends with coworkers as everyone was really friendly.

The restaurant that i worked at as horrible, i was bullied by the staff and the owner.

i would recommend working in a small restaurant like subway it is a great first job or for someone who is wanting to get a second job. Although the restaurant i worked at i was harassed/ bullied by the staff , and i was harassed/ abused by a male team member and the owner sided with the male team member, and didn't review any CCTV and they all said that i was lying.

Pros

Free lunchs

Cons

Abuse from the staff/ management

Ok

Bad management, even worse training, everyone gets little to no training, head office is no better. They force people to come in for shifts even though they can’t. They discriminate people with tattoos and they expect seniors to train juniors instead of actually giving them formal training it’s ridiculous

Productive and fun workplace

Busy work environment that taught me valuable, customer service and administration skills to take into my next job. Great people, great culture if you're willing to work hard

Good first job

Great job if you can handle a fast paced and stressful environment when it is busy. Minimum wage but is pretty fair considering the job is quite relaxed.

Small improvements = better store environment!

I have worked at 6 different Subway stores within the two and a half years that I have been working, due to relocating a few times. I have had a few bad experiences with getting underpaid and not getting enough hours...this resulted in not being rostered on and being let go. Pay is definitely not enough to live off of. I have probably only been involved with a good team of people at one of those stores. Managers always rostered me on even if I told them in advance that I couldn’t work. Overall experience has been decent but definitely could be much better.

Not paid enough for the enormous work load

Subway was okay, but the amount of work they expect you to do for the little pay you receive is ridiculous. I left because I knew I could have an easier job elsewhere for almost double the pay. Consider how much you need money before getting the job... and expect heaps of chores and cleaning.

Productive, fast-paced and supportive

Depending on whether it is a day shift or a night shift your day can be very different. Nightshift can be busy in terms of cleanup and preparation for the next day. Day shift can be busy in terms of customer intake and managing the stock rotation and the amount of dishes to not overwhelm the night crew.

Pros

50% off meals when on shift

Cons

low hours

Bad place to work for.

Overall subway isn’t a good company to work for. You are required to do manager roles when being a senior and junior. Even though that is quite great, the stress isn’t worth it. The pay is also terrible and now we’re only allowed to do 4.5 hours per shift and can’t do over 25 hours. How is one to afford anything with the terrible pay and little hours. The staff are amazing but managers are terrible and they don’t care about your well being.

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

Pay, hours, everything.

Lessons from Work

During my time at work, I have learnt how to be more independent and how to get things done quickly and efficiently by myself and also in a team. Had fun.

Pros

free lunches, experiences

Flexible workplace with a few problems

Subway itself is a great company however there were problems throughout the store with only taking breaks if the manager had given you a break on the roster and this meant that many Junior members that worked 5 hour shifts were not given the break they were required. No employee discounts were given and I believe that due to no breaks, employees should be rewarded with such discounts. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to serve. It is fun and you are able to communicate with customers and work on improving customer service skills. I believe that Subway is a flexible workplace if you are in school or completing Tertiary studies. I do suggest that if any problems occur within the workplace, take them to the higher Subway management or to Work Fair.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Unheard

Fun

Got to work the hours I wanted when I was at school with people I liked. Everyone really got along with each other. The pay wasn't bad because of sick leave and annual leave.

Good workplace

Was a good environment to work within. I enjoyed taking on the role of manager and assisting.everyone with tasks that had to be completed during my 3 years there.

Pros

Cons

Long days

Productive and fun work place

Everyday was met with laughs and fun. Co workers were easy to get along with. I was able to learn how to handle money, manage my time, and how to create the perfect subway sandwich.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Subway