Subway

Australia36 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 36 reviews matching the searchSee all 54,611 reviews

Overworked, underpaid, customers suck

The job itself wasn't bad, when we were busy like any store I could be stressful but the management was poor, the owner didn't care about the employees. We were very underpaid and they employed us part time instead if casual. We were overworked often asked to work many more hours then we should, also I was lucky in charge of closing the store at 16 with no other seniors. Would be an alright job but needs different management

Subway

I worked here in Mooloolaba and Kawana stores and had a very bad experience being understaffed with only 2 staff when needed 5 or 6 during peak times. Management didn't do anything to help when there were issues and I was paid poorly. Few workers were okay to get along with however others were hard to deal with such as vaping underage out the back while we tried to serve customers. There was very fast turn over of staff where people wouldn't come back after first trial and only two stayed through months of working. Therefore we weren't trained because they didn't take time for that. I don't like to give bad reviews and have heard of other good subways to work at but here was a very poor experience.

good job for students

i worked here for a year during high school and it’s honestly a great job! there’s not many workers during shifts (usually just you and another person) so it’s usually a calm and relaxed environment, however during peak hour it gets extremely busy, and can be difficult especially with a whole line waiting to be serve with limited workers on shift and only one toaster.

Pros

- free 6inch per shift, great work life balance, management was very understanding, very quiet at times

Cons

- limited workers on shift

Easy job, good for high school students

I worked at subway for a year as a casual while in my last year of high school. The job was very easy to learn and pick up with lots of opportunity to be promoted after a few months if you do well. Quality of management will vary depending where you work. I don't know if this was just my store, but there was always so much drama and pettiness between coworkers. Overall very good if in high school as you can work evenings and early mornings as well as weekends, however it might take you a while before getting consistent shifts. Pay is too low if a uni student/grad or living out of home but reasonable for 14 to 18 year olds still living at home. Not the best casual job I've had but its a good foot in the door as a young person to gain experience for a better job as they don't require experience to be hired.

Pros

Free drinks during work hours, easy work

Cons

Sometimes rude and picky customers, difficult coworkers

Productive and fun work place

I had a lot of fun working their, The staff is very helpful and cooperative, I have learnt a lot which includes effective team work skills and how to build good relations with the fellow members

Wasn't a very friendly place to work for.

Wasn't the best place to work for. The boss would undermine you and belittle you. Decided it wasn't where i wanted to work and decided to leave so i did.

Productive and Enjoyable

Typical day: When you enter the back, you get ready and go to the front to do the customer's orders. Learnt: Be fast and listen carefully to the people Workplace Culture: They are very helpful, so don't be afraid to ask for help Hardest: Rush hours Enjoyable: Cheap lunch and you are occupied so time goes fast.

Pros

50% of Lunch

Cons

Long orders

Wasn't a fun place to be

The management wouldn't take care of the staff. Though i learned customer service by working there. The hardest thing was working with management that don't go beyond their way to train the staff.

Low pay with no benefit

Under payed, worked for free, yelled at. Good people to work with and a good job if you are being properly treated by your employer. I have learnt several things working there that i can take to a new job

Good culture and Workplace

Easy, good management led me to stay in the role for a long time. Good people at the workplace and comfortable hours surrounding other commitments also allowed me to continue working at Subway Windsor

Pros

People

Cons

Weekend Shift

Badly managed, no advancement, low salary

Low wages for workers, little in the way of job advancement and managers are often too strict. Training is either three hours long or six months long.

Senior Sandwich Artist

An amazing team and day to day job but sadly no career progression due to poor management and terrible pay. Workplace culture is very friendly and kind (everyone is eager to help and grow together). The hardest part would be the min pay and little hours as the manager does not consider anyone 'eligible' to be paid under their actual roles (i.e Seniors get paid as a trainee junior).The only thing that has kept me going for 4 years is the amazing team and customers.

Pros

Good Team, Amazing customers

Cons

Not enough hours, poor pay, bad management

Good work place

I enjoy working at the store I work at for subway the people that I work with are very inclusive and we all work together in a very productive manner which makes the store a positive work environment

Pros

Work environment

Cons

Not enough hours

Fun workplace

Really fun. Completed orders and cleaned store. When no customers were there food was prepped. Team was close and got along very well. No problems with management.

The people are great the pay is not

A typical day of work is tedious but representative of any job within the fast food industry. I learnt many skills including food preparation processes and customer service skills. Management is good and understanding. Non-management employees are an amazing group of young people and by far the best reason to work art subway.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

low pay

Great people and learnt skills

Has given me lots of experience. The customers here are usually friendly and we get regular customers too. I have made some great friends and met new people, easy job because you either serve or clean and it's pretty quiet

Pros

free lunch, 50% off!

Cons

gets boring

fast paced and chilled environment

nice working environment which included answering phones, taking orders, preparing food, making meals, money handling, giving recommendations and applying sales and cleaning/doing dishes. I learnt a lot better time management, how to deal with rush hour stress and how to effectively and generously talk to all customers.

Pros

free lunch

Cons

short lunch break

I worked there for a few years and became supervisor looking after new employees.

Subway as a first job was a good experience in the working field, friendly staff and close by. I got to know regulars and meet new people every day in the workplace.

Lucky to have a very cool manager.

The working culture is amazing. Good pay and good management. Get shifts that are promised. No stress at work. Surrounded by great work mates. Lunches are the mist enjoyable part of the job.

Pros

Free lunch

Worst job ever

The roster had always changed. it was never set out to be a good place. was never organised. could never have enough people instore working. 2 people is not enough people

Nope

Does not listen to employees, will roster you on days where you told them you can't work. No training, left on own after first shift. Expected to stay after closing to clean, although not paid (when already underpaid)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Subway. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Subway