Sushiya Employee Reviews

Ambiente de trabajo tranquilo y buen salario
Camarera (Current Employee) –  Barcelona, Barcelona provincia26 March 2019
Un buen lugar para trabajar, con un buen pago por hora
Cons
muy pocas horas por camarera
Better jobs out there
Sushi Maker (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TX7 January 2019
Manager threatens that he will fire you just for asking for a day off. No lenient hours whatsoever, no talking to the manager without getting lectured. Worst place to work at by far.
Worst place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Auburn, AL29 July 2018
Discrimination exists between male and female. Didn’t get paid appropriately. Job procedures change every week. There are 4 bosses. They rebuke first even though they didn’t teach servers how it works.
Pros
Free soup
Cons
No lunch or dinner
It was a College Job
SUSHI CHEF (Former Employee) –  College Station, TX4 May 2018
The hours were long and and pay wasn't that good. But owner of the shop was nice and taught how to make sushi well. Gave me a chance and without the job could not have paid rent.
Working with sushi is fun but it is a lot of work!
Sushi Demo (Current Employee) –  Austin, TX23 April 2018
I mostly do food demos so I interact with the customers five days a week. 7 hours a day. I have tried working in the back but it is a lot of prep work. Cutting vegetables, shelling shrimp, rolling spring rolls, packaging sauces, packaging pot stickers, cooking pot stickers, etc. Unless you have really good stamina working the hours for prep is very tiring and exhausting.

Sushi demoing is fun depending on how slow or busy the day is. You do meet a lot of people and get to interact with them. It is a great feeling seeing customers come back for a product you recommended. Sushi demo requires you to interact with customers, take special orders, inform sushi chefs of missing items, and keeping the display neat and orderly.
Pros
Free sushi lunch, still get paid through lunch
Cons
Easy once you get the products memorized
Sushi Cook (Current Employee) –  Del Rio, TX9 March 2018
Was a very good and stable job. Very easy to work at once you learn the various sushi. As a closer was fairly easy to get into a groove to make it a quick and fast closing process.
Empresa especializada.
Garçom (Former Employee) –  Rua Limeira. Marília SP1 December 2017
O Sushiya é uma empresa que atende clientes requintados e suas famílias. Com ambiente aconchegante e limpo. Aprendi com essa primeira experiência trabalhando em restaurante e com os cursos que ganhei. Eu era responsável com um companheiro de salão pela manutenção e limpeza do ambiente; servindo os clientes com cortesia e profissionalismo.
Comfortable working environment and nice co-workers
Server (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CA28 April 2017
The Sushiya in Chula Vista is in a great location that is going to see a steady rise in customers over the coming years due to the rise in residential construction in this area.
low volume workplace
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA28 March 2017
good place to get experience in the food industry. flexible schedules and they will train you to move up from host to server quickly. tips are lows because the crowd is mostly students.
Fun place to work
Direct Marketing (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX1 April 2016
I was the demonstration person that would allow people to sample the sushi being sold. The chef we had was wonderful and my manager was great with people and always went out of the way to make my work easy and comfortable. I was always reminded of how important I was to the organization. The job could be difficult being in the public and having to take care of anyone who would walk up, but I enjoyed talking to everyone and getting people involved. Many people tried sushi for the first time standing in front of me. Lunch was provided every day and I had regular snacks and coffee during the shift. I could work as much as I wanted and they worked with my schedule better than most.
Pros
Yummy food, great time talking to people
Cons
Standing for long periods of time
Very fast paced and fun
Sushi Chef (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX5 August 2015
As soon as I would clock in I would grab as much material as I could to prepare the ingredients for our products. Most of the work day consisted of running between our freezer/refrigerator and replenishing stock.

I learned how to make beautiful rolls of sushi and pot stickers.

The managers worked alongside everyone else as equal. Very seldom did management have to step in to correct an issue. My co-workers as well as management were very fun to work with, and we would share stories throughout our 12 hour shift.

The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet in a centralized location for prolonged periods of time. If you weren't on your lunch break, you were working. There wasn't even a minute of slack allowed.

I absolutely loved being able to create beautiful rolls of sushi, and fulfilling special customer requests for items that weren't on the menu.
Pros
Free food, awesome coworkers, fast paced
Cons
Long hours, no place to kneel/sit or relax
Not a very good place.
Dishwasher and fryer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI24 July 2014
It was a great job until a new kitchen manager took over and hired his family members. I went from getting 40 hours a week to 12.
Pros
It was an awesome job when I started.
Cons
It had very bad managment
Enjoyable work environment
Head Hostess (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI20 January 2014
It is a fun and enjoyable work environment. The staff is very friendly.
Not a fun job
Food Representative (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TX8 August 2013
Standing all day, making announcements and smelling fish. The old boss was a pervert and like to hit on younger girls.
Pros
free sushi
Cons
hurting feet
Great place to work, great co-workers
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI1 July 2012
Working as a hostess at Sushiya is fun, greeting people and hearing about how much they enjoyed their experience is very rewarding. The management is great and my fellow co-workers are easy to work with. The hardest part of my job is multitasking when the restaurant gets busy.