Swinburne University of Technology
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Swinburne University of Technology Employee Reviews

Swinburne was a great place to work with, working with a supportive team on exciting and niche projects. However, similar to other academic environments, your job is not secured due to the restricted funding. Swinburne is fast moving forward, which will be recognised in a few years!
Pros
Collaborative Team
Cons
Job Security
Working at Swinburne means wasting the time. Low science knowledge, poor experimental equipment. Very slow processing for doing experimental and providing resources. Very poor knowledge staffs. All should be independently with limited experienced staffs. All looking at you to find a solution.
I learnt about time management doing task that was not habitual in my previous habitual. Complete the allocated task in the scheduled time it was the harder part but it was also the most useful experience for further jobs
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Occasional lacking in time to complete the allocated tasks
Swinburne offers a lot of opportunity to delve deeper into IT projects normally not available on normal positions. The Dev tasks are coming at a rate slower than Digital Agencies or Corporate, however there is no way they run out. The work environment offers a nice work/life balance and it has a very collaborative vibe.
An average employer with a variety of options and business areas for employees to be exposed to. A complex working environment with constant challenges and changes.
I strongly recommend Swinburne University of Technology as a great work place. I am enjoying work here as we have challenging but collaborative work environment.
I work from home which offers excellent work life balance. There is plenty of support on offer should it be needed. Work presents interaction with students providing a rewarding experience
A good place to work and a diverse culture. People are kind. I got to learn a lot about volunteering. Swinburne has many clubs and all clubs collaborate to celebrate different cultures.
I joined there soon after my completion of my Master's degree. It was more of an internship than a professional job. The work environment was good. Liked the job culture and the staff i worked with.
A typical university environment where opportunities are abundant but is often hobbled by a broken bureaucracy. Salaries for the rank and file employees are low compared to industry. However that's somewhat offset by the freedom to explore new ideas and technologies.
I taught at engineering school for the semester one and two. It was difficult at first, as I found it hard to cope with the discipline issues in the classroom. However, after few weeks I found my ground, and I learned what worked with the students, and how to keep the discipline at a reasonable level. It was an extraordinary time.
A good place to learn for new start. Job security and good super. Swinburne is lean in staff strength and gets to pick up lots of new skills. Management is lean and colleagues are easy to work with. There is sporadic development program for staff and staff need to be proactive in learning. I had learnt much from the work and contribute much of the work for the years in the University. It is a interesting place for new graduates to begin career.
Supportive colleagues Need more investment on science research facilities Should have more chances for early career researchers to participate and create a more active environment
I volunteered as a teacher aide for the Neuroscience Major Head at Swinburne University, specifically for the Neuroimaging Unit that is delivered to 2nd Year students
Typical day was answering student enquiries on phone and email. Job was really intense as they have a lot of students, but management does their best to ensure that you have adequate rest. Students can be abusive sometimes, and parents always call in to find information. However, student information must be kept confidential. Lunch times are staggered and usually alone as student HQ has to be always manned by someone. The hours are not too long, and pay is decent. There is opportunity to progress but may require consistency. Always remain polite and courteous
Pros
Pay, short hours
Cons
Intense job, abusive students
research, literature review knowledge and communication skills bureaucratic sometimes professional and optimistic limited career development good union
I did two stints at Swinburne. The first one was better than the most recent experience. During my second stint, I enjoyed working with the Production Manager, who gave me many responsibilities and I learnt a lot from my time there.
Pros
There are always something fun to look forward to
Cons
Too many heads with differing views
Enjoyed time at Swinburne, good people you want to create a culture of innovation and create use of technology. Also campus in a good location, easy to get to via public transport.
Swinburne was a great place to continue my work. Employees gets benefits and Human Resources were very helpful. My supervisor was great and was helping me in all aspects.
A place I am proud to come to work and give it my all to not enjoy enjoy myself but to maximise my skill to do extremely well in my role. To challenge myself daily and to set goals that I can achieve, going above and beyond
Pros
POsitivity and a strong work culture
Cons
long hours and exhaustion
Great place to work. Work smarter not harder, may seem a little impossible these days. I had the best time, we made sure we had a laugh almost everyday. It was a constant changing environment in a Facilities deparment, we would have a burst wate rmain to roof leaks, to break ins, to suspicious behaviou, andpower outages, all within an hour. So from the Reception, to CoOrdinator to Maintenance, Supervisor, Manager, Director. It can be all hands on deck within minutes. We were a very cohesive team, and led by some professional leaders. I sure miss my colleagues.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Sadly higher expectations for lesser pay nowadays.