Swinburne University of Technology Employee Reviews

Swinburne
University Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC22 February 2018
Very transient workforce. Poor management. Bullying. Hours kept low. Lack of adequate training or resources. Work evaluated on the basis of student feedback.
Very unprofessional.
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
No job security, not enough hours, no commitment to workers
Not good PAVE management
Casual Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 February 2018
The PAVE mangeress blatently ignored the prescribed hurdles she set and that I was to assess student on so that the student pass rate would be higher into the tertiary level. This is opnly setting up the students to fail. It would be far better to have a stronger foundation for the students so they dont fail at the higher levels. Also far too many international students whose English writing made no sense on the exams I was marking.
Second supervisor on final year masters projects (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 January 2018
Swinburne University gave me an opportunity to prepare monthly presentations to teachers and develop confidence in public speaking by presenting PowerPoint presentations and graphs to an audience. Constant communication with students and student support teams ensured that my customer service skills were being used n a daily basis.
Summary
Full time Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC7 January 2018
Boutique University
Senior Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC30 November 2017
Great campus and educational atmosphere.
Easy to get to by train.
A large variety of courses and teaching modes.
Close to all amenities at Glenferrie and many terrific eateries
Pros
Close to city
Cons
Lack of parking
Worst. Job. Ever.
Student Registration Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia20 November 2017
Worst place I have ever worked. NO ONE knows what's going on half the time, and the systems that are in place are archaic and unintuitive. Half of my day was sitting around waiting for work.
huge multi-cultural environment
Design research (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 November 2017
I have been working at Swinburne University of Technology since October 2013 as an education design and HCI researcher. it has offered good facilities for staff and friendly work environment, and the only thing is low salary.
Pros
cross-cultural environment
Cons
low salary
Benefits and amazing tasks
Course advise specialist (Former Employee) –  Australia6 October 2017
I love problem solving which is what working here is all about! They have taught me everything I know about Administration and great quality customer service
Pros
Superannuation benefit is high, great maternity leave cover, approval of extended leave without pay for a holiday
Productive workplace
GOVERNANCE AND SECRETARIAT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 September 2017
I enjoyed my various roles at Swinburne. For a large organisation in some ways you do feel part of a family. Compliance training was beneficial, something you may not get at a small organisation.
Awesome Place to Work
Product Design Engineer and Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC11 September 2017
Working at Swinburne was an unbelievable experience. The work-life balance was outstanding and all of my co-workers quickly became friends. I would highly recommend Swinburne to anyone considering employment here.

Want to know more about Swinburne University of Technology?

Ask a question
concierge
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC16 August 2017
Enjoyed helping both international and domestic students. Guiding them with queries such as withdrawing and adding units to courses as well as assisting in appointments with career advisors.
Good workplace.
IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 June 2017
I am enjoying my work at Swinburne University. The work environment is really good and helpful to grow and encourage skills. Management is very supportive.
fun days at work
hawthorn campus chair (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC7 June 2017
working at the university was a great experience for me and as well as convenient as i was a stay on campus student. the people at the office were really helpful and accommodating at all the time.
Pros
free passes to event organised by other campuses
Cons
Good university for science and research
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 May 2017
At Swinburne University I did my PhD in Computational Science. Here I also gained 4 years of teaching assistance and lab demonstration experience on Engineering Mathematics, Computational Science, Numerical Methods and Programming courses. Its a good university for science and research.
Renewable energy
Teacher, Electronics engineer (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC29 April 2017
You have a complete freedom to add to the teaching material provided. the topic was re-newable energy, mainly solar energy.
The material was in line with the latest technolgies at the time.
Great
Temp position - through Dixon Appointment (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 March 2017
I have already done Swinburne review. Worked there few different times and every time the experience was just wonderful.
A very negative experience
Student Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC23 November 2016
My Swinburne experience was a brief and unhappy one. The actual job did not match the position description or the selection criteria. A lot of extremely mindless administrative tasks were dumped on top of the tasks I was led to believe would be involved. Management did not seem to have a good understanding of the day to day tasks. Staff morale in my area (PAVE) was extremely low and there were numerous staff changes in the short time I was there. IT and other systems and processes around the university were appallingly unreliable and cumbersome. There were many student complaints about processes as well.
Pros
Great options for lunch, good location and some pleasant colleagues
Cons
Cumbersome processes, unreliable IT systems and poor out of touch management
typical
Student (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia9 August 2016
Potential to be good program. Professors reluctant to share their knowledge and assume most students are inferior.
There have been some excellent graduates and a few have acquired PhD's.
I find the old adage "if you can't, teach" applies. I do not believe many of the professors could not compete in a corporate environment; but that is just my opinion. I have worked with many PhD geoscientists and they eventually lose their "perceived god status" and become excellent contributors.
Pros
Cons
boredom
The most amazing university experience!
International Student Representative Business Dept (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 February 2016
The years at Swinburne have been some of the best of my life. Having been quite a prominent student of my batch and organizing some multi-cultural sporting events, I was elected as the International Students Representative in the Business department.

It was an amazing experience to welcome new students, discuss their problems with the board to facilitate their university lives for the better. It was part of my responsibility to arrange events to help the students settle into university life better.

I was awared a certificate at the time of graduation for my performace/achievements as the International Students Representative. This role taught me a lot of leadership qualities, how to deal with people and understand their problems as well as find solutions, manage finances and organize events etc.
Pros
Socializing with people from all over the world
Leaves a lot to be desired
[anonymous] (Current Employee) –  Hawthorn, VIC5 January 2016
Only do it if you're desperate... or, maybe if you secure a senior, permanent position... or, I hear astrophysics is nice?!

Unfortunately it seems, desperation to make up for long standing short-comings in practice, trying to keep up with the competition with a disproportionately strong focus on marketing, and rorting as many international students as possible in the process takes precedence over delivering a quality product and a valuable environment.

The computer network is terrible too. Often things wrong, and not enough support to fix it. Follow up to issues comes sometimes weeks later!! Although, I suspect that is a lack of management spending, not inadequately skilled support personnel.

However, I'm led to believe a lot of this and the cons aren't just Swinburne but rather Higher Education in Australia as a whole.
Pros
Free bean-ground coffee
Cons
Lack of job security and few future prospects, payment infrequency, very little inter-disciplinary engagement, heavy politics and bureaucracy, and a severe lack of constructive dialogue between management, administration and academic staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swinburne University of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

Swinburne University of Technology Reviews by Location