Swinburne University of Technology Employee Reviews

I loved my job, campus, colleagues and department.
Facilities Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Croydon VIC16 April 2019
Great place to work. Work smarter not harder, may seem a little impossible these days. I had the best time, we made sure we had a laugh almost everyday. It was a constant changing environment in a Facilities deparment, we would have a burst wate rmain to roof leaks, to break ins, to suspicious behaviou, andpower outages, all within an hour. So from the Reception, to CoOrdinator to Maintenance, Supervisor, Manager, Director. It can be all hands on deck within minutes. We were a very cohesive team, and led by some professional leaders. I sure miss my colleagues.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Sadly higher expectations for lesser pay nowadays.
great team to work with
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Carrum Downs VIC18 March 2019
Great support and easy online accessible module. Teachers are really helpful, and quick at replying if you need help, administartion was good and always the first place to approach if you ever stuck
very fun, mind blowing, exciting
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 January 2019
Work experience at Swinburne University has been designed to give the feel of a real life science based work environment, with much of the time dedicated to showcasing its various tasks, jobs and facilities. It has been wonderful to get such an in depth insight, and was exceptionally fun, interesting and an overall positive experience.
Productive and Fun
Content Writer (Major Projects) (Current Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC4 December 2018
It is a very good place to work at, the support from other colleagues was immense. Working hours was flexible and it enabled me to have a good life balance
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Travelling distance
Great university with good learning facilities
Student (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC22 November 2018
My usual day as a student is get to university which is very easily accessible because of Glenferri station right outside Swinburne University. Then attending lectures and tutorials and spending countless hours in the library on assignments and revision.
Pros
Easily accessible because of train station outside
Cons
Bad timetables
Administration and teaching
TAFE International Officer (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC15 November 2018
Started with ESL teaching, then moved on to teaching in Foundation studies. I was then appointed as an International Officer, to monitor international students progress and be aware of any assistance they might require.
Pros
interesting and challenging
good company
Security Coordinator & Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Various8 November 2018
Very good employer.
This is an educational institution and has to comply with a lot of guidelines. Would fully recommend this employer if you are able to obtain employment with them.
Fun working environment but slow paced at times.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glenferrie VIC22 October 2018
Swinburne University was a very fun environment to work in, however I would often find myself not busy at all and looking for jobs to do quite often..
Pros
Lovely team
Cons
Distance
Excellent work place with a lot of learning adn support
Network Help Desk (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC30 August 2018
It was great workplace to start the career. Learned a lot of things which helped me to progress in my career. Learned Australian work culture. Applied the skills and knowledge that I learned during my education at Swinburne.
Great team environment
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 May 2018
The best thing for working at Swinburne Online is the wonderful team members and the environment.

Pay is good and increases as you advance.

Room for improvement can be better however.
Pros
Great team environment
Cons
At times bias within teams
Swinburne
University Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC22 February 2018
Very transient workforce. Poor management. Bullying. Hours kept low. Lack of adequate training or resources. Work evaluated on the basis of student feedback.
Very unprofessional.
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
No job security, not enough hours, no commitment to workers
Not good PAVE management
Casual Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 February 2018
The PAVE mangeress blatently ignored the prescribed hurdles she set and that I was to assess student on so that the student pass rate would be higher into the tertiary level. This is opnly setting up the students to fail. It would be far better to have a stronger foundation for the students so they dont fail at the higher levels. Also far too many international students whose English writing made no sense on the exams I was marking.
Second supervisor on final year masters projects (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 January 2018
Swinburne University gave me an opportunity to prepare monthly presentations to teachers and develop confidence in public speaking by presenting PowerPoint presentations and graphs to an audience. Constant communication with students and student support teams ensured that my customer service skills were being used n a daily basis.
Summary
Full time Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC7 January 2018
Boutique University
Senior Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC30 November 2017
Great campus and educational atmosphere.
Easy to get to by train.
A large variety of courses and teaching modes.
Close to all amenities at Glenferrie and many terrific eateries
Pros
Close to city
Cons
Lack of parking
Worst. Job. Ever.
Student Registration Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia20 November 2017
Worst place I have ever worked. NO ONE knows what's going on half the time, and the systems that are in place are archaic and unintuitive. Half of my day was sitting around waiting for work.
huge multi-cultural environment
Design research (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 November 2017
I have been working at Swinburne University of Technology since October 2013 as an education design and HCI researcher. it has offered good facilities for staff and friendly work environment, and the only thing is low salary.
Pros
cross-cultural environment
Cons
low salary
Benefits and amazing tasks
Course advise specialist (Former Employee) –  Australia6 October 2017
I love problem solving which is what working here is all about! They have taught me everything I know about Administration and great quality customer service
Pros
Superannuation benefit is high, great maternity leave cover, approval of extended leave without pay for a holiday
Productive workplace
GOVERNANCE AND SECRETARIAT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 September 2017
I enjoyed my various roles at Swinburne. For a large organisation in some ways you do feel part of a family. Compliance training was beneficial, something you may not get at a small organisation.
Awesome Place to Work
Product Design Engineer and Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC11 September 2017
Working at Swinburne was an unbelievable experience. The work-life balance was outstanding and all of my co-workers quickly became friends. I would highly recommend Swinburne to anyone considering employment here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swinburne University of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

Swinburne University of Technology Reviews by Location