Sydney Trains Employee Reviews

Decent workplace
Team Leader Traction Linesman (Current Employee) –  Hornsby NSW14 November 2018
Busy moving fast paced. Moving forward with stake holders and contractors.
Culture is changing and moving forward with new computer systems and management systems.
Pros
Safety and conditions
Cons
Shift work
An interesting culture
ENGINEERING OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Strathfield NSW23 October 2018
Promotions depend on toadying to management and very little to do with capability.

There's people in their second DECADE of their apprenticeship whilst people who pass their exams get booted out.
Great Place
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Burwood NSW23 September 2018
I have been with Sydney Trains for 10 years. I have seen 3 major changes in Sydney Trains during my tenure in Sydney Trains. Sometime work pressure is bit high but it is still great place to work. Good team work, good leadership team and support. I have given lot of flexibility and opportunities to learn new things and helped me to develop my career. Organisation promotes new ideas and provides required support for improvement. Sydney Trains strongly beliefs in SPACE (Safety, Pride, Accountability, Collaboration and Excellence).
Pros
Great Place
Good Place to Work
Transition to Support Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Burwood NSW23 September 2018
Pros
Good working environment
Horrid Work life
Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW23 September 2018
Horrid Work life.
MANAGEMENT HAS ZERO IDEA ON YOUR EVERYDAY NEEDS.
Management, work tirelessly to build profiles to persecute you, if you screw up even a little bit.
in 24 years, I seen 2 x NYE party with family, and worked all but 4 christmas's, which were posted with 2 weeks notice.
Pros
Dollars
Cons
Management & poor worklife.
Sydney Trains is a very good employer.
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Parramatta Station, Parramatta, NSW22 September 2018
As a front line customer service officer, I am the first person of contact with the travelling public. I served hundreds of people everyday from multi-cultural backgrounds, various age groups, different sexual preferences, disabilities, etc.

Sydney Trains is an EEO employer. Every employee is trained on Equal Employment Opportunities, Work Health and Safety and Fire and Evacuation Emergency.

Our workplace culture is customer focus and safety first.

The hardest part of my job is when there is a service delay and people are upset and they become difficult and abusive.

The best part of my job is when you know that you've made a difference in someone's life even in a small way and they appreciated it.
Pros
free travel on public transport during employment, free uniforms
Cons
new technology kill jobs
Good work culture
Train Signaller Grade 3 (Current Employee) –  Central Coast NSW10 June 2018
A typical day at work consists of communicating with other staff and management to provide efficient rail services. Checking work health and safety practices and emergency situations are adhered to. Most employees of Sydney Trains have been therefor a long period of time making them loyal to the job.
Pros
Good pay rate
Cons
Shift work
Safe and productive
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 February 2018
Safe environment ,training provided,enjoyable job.
Knowing I trained my staff to perform tasks safely and accordingly to Organisations standards.
Multicultural environment brought competition amongst staff in training and safety procedures.
The hardest part of the job was trying to satisfy staff with suitable rosters for possession and closedown work.They all wanted the OT.
I mostly enjoyed successful achievements of projects and daily scheduled work knowing that I planned,organised,lead and controlled as the Manager.
Pros
Certificate for Zero Incidents
Cons
Lot of weekend work
Project environment has been productive and effective
Transition and Change Control, PMO (Current Employee) –  Haymarket NSW5 February 2018
I worked in the PMO for a large SAP Program for almost three years. It has been a challenge to work on such a big complex program but it was successfully delivered. I worked on a project improving the technology in the Plant Hire Services department for RailCorp so this is the second time I've worked for the organisation. The most enjoyable part of the job is some of the people I have worked with and around.
I love my work
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 September 2017
I have worked for the government for 20 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have gotten to meet a lot of great work mates and made some close friends. Speaking and getting to know the customers has been a great benefit and made my job easier.
Pros
Great team work
customer service delivery
Customer Service Delivery (Former Employee) –  Blacktown NSW 21486 August 2017
always dealing with customers and delivering excellent service to passengers to make sure they commute to and from work without delay pass on any delays due to unforseen cirmcimstances
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
on feet all day due to work policies
Pay is good but management is bad
Cleaning Attendant (Current Employee) –  Sydney Western Suburbs NSW18 June 2017
Work is not hard it's the people you work with who's bad and the management is not helpful at all.the shift work is killing me specially night shift well in fact I'm having hard time sleeping at daytime. So many times I've tried talking to managers of our department it falls on deaf ear.
Pros
Pay is good but the hours is bad
Cons
Shift work is not good
Productive work place
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW16 June 2017
I have learned about workplace culture and enjoyed every moment at the job. Learned about human behaviors and typical culture of Sydney Trains. Learned about how to manage the subordinates and work along with them as a part of the team.
Pros
Flexible hours of work
Cons
Some days to work was long hours
was a good work place
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Auburn NSW16 May 2017
I mainly worked at auburn railway station. The staff were like a family from management down.i worked for Trackfast in which i despatched parcels throughout the state and interstate this job was enjoyable i also did ticket sales and station presentation
Pros
a friendly work place
Cons
shift work
Don't give me a reason to sack you culture!
Plant Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW2 May 2017
Can be a good place if one can find the right section to work in!The workplace has a culture of some people getting it easy at the expense of people at "the coalface" doing the real work! Management comes to mind on these thoughts!
Pros
Free transport
Cons
Family comes second to work rosters
Provided well financially
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Blacktown29 March 2017
Able to adapt to to emergency situations experience in many fields Always complete tasks to perfection regardless of lmpotsnce Work group leader in charge of crew of 5 or more
Managed construction projects and completed on time and with in budget
Hold first aid certificate and OHS policies white card
Pros
Stable
Cons
Secure
A dynamic workplace always striving for best practice
Document Controller (Current Employee) –  Pitt Street Sydney NSW26 February 2017
I've worked for Sydney Trains for nearly 19 years.

I check my emails and phone voice mail and prioritise tasks that require to be done.
I have learned advanced time management, negotiation & conflict resolution skills, always striving to complete tasks on time in an efficient and effective manner.
I've learnt to liaise with all stakeholders when a tasks require completion and if a task cannot be completed on time inform all parties including my supervisor and manager of revise target date before task due.
The workplace culture in Sydney Trains is good but it has changed over the years its now all about results and the camaraderie has waned substantially outside my work section.
The hardest part of job is pleasing all stakeholders when multiple tasks are due the same time that is why i constantly inform stakeholders of current situation either via phone call, email or in person if within same building.
I like the challenge of the job and my immediate section staff we try to maintain a high standard and friendly atmosphere.
Pros
Free Travel pass to and from work
Cons
sometimes same tasks each day
CHANGE FACILITATOR (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW30 December 2016
Good government department to work for, appreciates skills and experience developed elsewhere and is interested in trying new ideas. I have, in the short time I've worked there, been able to develop and grow as a change professional, more so than in other roles.
Pros
Easy going work culture and committed people
Cons
Few
A highly proffesional safe place to work
Maintenance- plant machine operator (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW27 December 2016
Good advancement opportunities with the right qualification you can easily move from one sectors to another . Examples are if you wanted a more customer focused experience it would be easy to transfer to a station position or if you prefer bring isolated a train crew role would be preferred .
Pros
Good environment with good support services
Cons
Don't provide staff with cofffee got to bring your own
Not provided
Sydney Trains - Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW14 December 2016
The work was generally very easy, and, the most enjoyable part of the role was assisting Sydney Trains managers to gain an understanding of what resources they would need to commit and when to support the Transport Access Program.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sydney Trains. Our community is ready to answer.