Sydney Trains logo
Sydney Trains
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Sydney Trains Employee Reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

ok

good pay .. shift work available … careful with culture ,, hard physical job uniform supplied …… career opportunities ……………………………………………………………………………………...

A depressing work environment.

You are just a number. Shift work is challenging. Start times vary from 1am to 11pm. You are rostered to work public holidays. You don't have a choice. That includes EASTER. Xmass day and new years. Your h o lists arerostered you don't get a choice.

Pros

Free travel on trains.

Cons

Extremely difficult shift work.

No career growth - you will be stuck in your role

Old Managers with old thinking don't promote new candidates. There are career progressions unless you suck up-to to management for wrong things. Very Bureaucratic.

Pros

Marker Rate pay

Cons

Nil Career Growth prospects

sydneytrains

Sydneytrains has no work life balance. You have to come to work two full weekends every of four weeks. Make you live away from home for two weeks straight never get to see your family. A lot of workers get divorced because of this

Pros

not many

Friendly place to work

During my time working at Sydney Trains I have had many challenges with the projects i have undertaken and successfully handle them and delivered on time.

Very friendly and supportive employees

Very nice people, know how to work together. Have a togetherness culture. Many proud at their work. However, some management rules are causing frustration and instability - Limit contractors to 3 years, tap on and off, no WFH for contractors.

Pros

People

Cons

Strict management rules

Productive place to work

Sydney Trains Staff are friendly and helpful, the Maintenance Centre I was working at, was a really good place to work, the facilities are always clean. I would recommend working for Sydney Trains.

The team at Sydney Trains are highly intelligent and personable. A real joy to work with

The days were always busy with new challenges to keep you interested and motivated. Learning new systems was exciting and the team culture was very supportive. I would go back in a heart beat.

Team no direction, not a place to be female

Actual had a coworker refuse to shake my hand in front of supplier saying he didn't shake hands with woman. When complaining my business unit manager actually reprimanded me for being culturally insensitive. Bid boys club. A uck in the past. Many people promoted way beyond their ability.

Pros

State government pay rates are generous

Cons

Gender discrimination rife, nepotism rife

Beaurocratic

A place where beaurocracy trumps common sense and business logic. This place needs a management overhaul. The atmosphere is very sullen and environment is non collaborative.

Jobs at Sydney Trains

See more jobs

It is challenging and rewarding as i am very safety concious

I enjoy the work but the job security or follow on at the end of a project is not secure. The work has been at time hands on which I enjoy,I believe the challenges of maintaining various work sites is competitive and some contractors really know their work where as others dont and that is why the challenge of showing them/ telling them the right way is something i enjoy. Safety first and production.

Enjoyable to work with winning team. Good training and flexibility. Safety culture is very great. Process policy are difficult for an outsider. Good proejct methdology.

High salaries

Divided unfriendly culture Unions against Management Hard to inject change & improvement Salary packages & guaranteed annual increases are what people stick around for.

Respectful, just culture, medium paced

Sydney Trains is a good place to work because it currently has a several new projects in the pipeline. There is a respectul culture and there is strong management support to build a deep-rooted safety culture.

Plenty of support, reasonable management involvement, allows autonomy

Generally enjoyable, work. Training is good. Higher than normal salary. Well trained staff. Free travel. Very good procedures and quality systems. Would recommend.

Culture change .

Challenging old school culture that is difficult to manage. The organization is 15 years behind the new ways of management. Very much a command and control environment with some old fashioned boys club mentality.

Fantastic

No day is the same, great job, great life, great people, plenty of opportunity to advance forward, i would highly recommend working here to anyone who is keen

Great job

I worked 18 and a half years and now I’m trying too get a start again after taking redundancy 4 years ago. I liked the job and hope I get a restart soon.

Bad workplace

i was apply the role but the role does not what on PD also the manager think they know much about the role actually they are also new the role totally opposite of what I applied for and also i was not told or transparent about who do I report at the end of the day they just said not performed well but they did not look the KPI or performance from other team members when they dislike you.. you out of the game... disappointing to join sydney trains teams at clyde

Fun and Innovative workplace

Fun to work with where people with different personalities are gathered working towards common goal. Helping and sharing each other. However, security and stability of work has been questionable across the organization.

Nice place and staff

Nice people and a good culture. Government restructuring makes everyone a bit uneasy. Tendency towards contractors in many positions. Great safety training and initiatives.
  • Sydney Trains