Sydney Trains

Sydney Trains Employee Reviews

Australia69 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Very relaxing place to work. Good salary and many opportunities to act in different roles. However, as with all government roles there is a lot of red tape.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Boring at times

Sydney Trains

Good job, great people to work with at lower level, and lower and the majority senior management. Job Security is an issue, as there have been a number of restructures, and even though they have consultation, the decision of the makeup of the area is a done deal.

Your experience there depends on who you know.

It seems to be a place of who you know rather than what you know to get any promotions or career change in Sydney Trains. Some people get all the career development opportunities over and over again and others get nothing. Management is reactive rather than proactive at the moment they are terrible and have no consideration for train crew or station staff and the impact that it has on them. There is no work-life balance when you are train crew or station staff. It only exists for office staff. You cannot get leave for months at a time and it can go over a year especially when they are short-staffed.

Management is pale, male and stale

While there is a diverse culture within the organisation it is difficult to progress into senior management. Many good people found better jobs in other areas of transport when promotions were not forthcoming. Essentially it became a boys club.

great place to work

Very complex role in customer service. every day is different and challenging. Probably the best workplace I had in the past 18 years. I would not change it

Pros

Free transport, clean lunchroom, lovely management

Cons

Air pollution when working underground, Shift work it's hectic at times., Not really much transparency and career progression

Toxic management

Dont get part time as you wait long time to get full-time. You are lucky to get full-time unless they hire fulltime even though you are wating in the list to get fulltime for years 😒

Pros

Travel is free

Cons

Shift work

No career growth - you will be stuck in your role

Old Managers with old thinking don't promote new candidates. There are career progressions unless you suck up-to to management for wrong things. Very Bureaucratic.

Pros

Marker Rate pay

Cons

Nil Career Growth prospects

sydneytrains

Sydneytrains has no work life balance. You have to come to work two full weekends every of four weeks. Make you live away from home for two weeks straight never get to see your family. A lot of workers get divorced because of this

Pros

not many

ok

good pay .. shift work available … careful with culture ,, hard physical job uniform supplied …… career opportunities ……………………………………………………………………………………...

Friendly place to work

During my time working at Sydney Trains I have had many challenges with the projects i have undertaken and successfully handle them and delivered on time.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sydney Trains?

Very friendly and supportive employees

Very nice people, know how to work together. Have a togetherness culture. Many proud at their work. However, some management rules are causing frustration and instability - Limit contractors to 3 years, tap on and off, no WFH for contractors.

Pros

People

Cons

Strict management rules

Productive place to work

Sydney Trains Staff are friendly and helpful, the Maintenance Centre I was working at, was a really good place to work, the facilities are always clean. I would recommend working for Sydney Trains.

The team at Sydney Trains are highly intelligent and personable. A real joy to work with

The days were always busy with new challenges to keep you interested and motivated. Learning new systems was exciting and the team culture was very supportive. I would go back in a heart beat.

Team no direction, not a place to be female

Actual had a coworker refuse to shake my hand in front of supplier saying he didn't shake hands with woman. When complaining my business unit manager actually reprimanded me for being culturally insensitive. Bid boys club. A uck in the past. Many people promoted way beyond their ability.

Pros

State government pay rates are generous

Cons

Gender discrimination rife, nepotism rife

Beaurocratic

A place where beaurocracy trumps common sense and business logic. This place needs a management overhaul. The atmosphere is very sullen and environment is non collaborative.

It is challenging and rewarding as i am very safety concious

I enjoy the work but the job security or follow on at the end of a project is not secure. The work has been at time hands on which I enjoy,I believe the challenges of maintaining various work sites is competitive and some contractors really know their work where as others dont and that is why the challenge of showing them/ telling them the right way is something i enjoy. Safety first and production.

Enjoyable to work with winning team. Good training and flexibility. Safety culture is very great. Process policy are difficult for an outsider. Good proejct methdology.

High salaries

Divided unfriendly culture Unions against Management Hard to inject change & improvement Salary packages & guaranteed annual increases are what people stick around for.

Respectful, just culture, medium paced

Sydney Trains is a good place to work because it currently has a several new projects in the pipeline. There is a respectul culture and there is strong management support to build a deep-rooted safety culture.

Plenty of support, reasonable management involvement, allows autonomy

Generally enjoyable, work. Training is good. Higher than normal salary. Well trained staff. Free travel. Very good procedures and quality systems. Would recommend.

Culture change .

Challenging old school culture that is difficult to manage. The organization is 15 years behind the new ways of management. Very much a command and control environment with some old fashioned boys club mentality.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sydney Trains. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Sydney Trains with