Sydney Trains
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Sydney Trains Employee Reviews in Sydney NSW

3.7Work–Life Balance

Team no direction, not a place to be female

Actual had a coworker refuse to shake my hand in front of supplier saying he didn't shake hands with woman. When complaining my business unit manager actually reprimanded me for being culturally insensitive. Bid boys club. A uck in the past. Many people promoted way beyond their ability.

Pros

State government pay rates are generous

Cons

Gender discrimination rife, nepotism rife

No career growth - you will be stuck in your role

Old Managers with old thinking don't promote new candidates. There are career progressions unless you suck up-to to management for wrong things. Very Bureaucratic.

Pros

Marker Rate pay

Cons

Nil Career Growth prospects

Beaurocratic

A place where beaurocracy trumps common sense and business logic. This place needs a management overhaul. The atmosphere is very sullen and environment is non collaborative.

High salaries

Divided unfriendly culture Unions against Management Hard to inject change & improvement Salary packages & guaranteed annual increases are what people stick around for.

Respectful, just culture, medium paced

Sydney Trains is a good place to work because it currently has a several new projects in the pipeline. There is a respectul culture and there is strong management support to build a deep-rooted safety culture.

Plenty of support, reasonable management involvement, allows autonomy

Generally enjoyable, work. Training is good. Higher than normal salary. Well trained staff. Free travel. Very good procedures and quality systems. Would recommend.

Culture change .

Challenging old school culture that is difficult to manage. The organization is 15 years behind the new ways of management. Very much a command and control environment with some old fashioned boys club mentality.

Fantastic

No day is the same, great job, great life, great people, plenty of opportunity to advance forward, i would highly recommend working here to anyone who is keen

Nice place and staff

Nice people and a good culture. Government restructuring makes everyone a bit uneasy. Tendency towards contractors in many positions. Great safety training and initiatives.

Overall good place to work

Daily would clean the platforms and stairs etc. hardest part would be the rotating roster. Overall good place to work but wasn’t the right fit for me after a while.

What its really like.

No two days are ever the same, there are a lot of great point about work here most of all the people you work with. Management can be scary at times but you learn to manage that by doing exactly what you are there for. There is room for advancement if you are willing to put in the hard yards. Overall it can be a thoroughly enjoyable career if that's what you want.

Pros

Free travel, annual leave entitlements

Cons

Shift work

Horrid Work life

Horrid Work life. MANAGEMENT HAS ZERO IDEA ON YOUR EVERYDAY NEEDS. Management, work tirelessly to build profiles to persecute you, if you screw up even a little bit. in 24 years, I seen 2 x NYE party with family, and worked all but 4 christmas's, which were posted with 2 weeks notice.

Pros

Dollars

Cons

Management & poor worklife.

Safe and productive

Safe environment ,training provided,enjoyable job. Knowing I trained my staff to perform tasks safely and accordingly to Organisations standards. Multicultural environment brought competition amongst staff in training and safety procedures. The hardest part of the job was trying to satisfy staff with suitable rosters for possession and closedown work.They all wanted the OT. I mostly enjoyed successful achievements of projects and daily scheduled work knowing that I planned,organised,lead and controlled as the Manager.

Pros

Certificate for Zero Incidents

Cons

Lot of weekend work

I love my work

I have worked for the government for 20 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have gotten to meet a lot of great work mates and made some close friends. Speaking and getting to know the customers has been a great benefit and made my job easier.

Pros

Great team work

Productive work place

I have learned about workplace culture and enjoyed every moment at the job. Learned about human behaviors and typical culture of Sydney Trains. Learned about how to manage the subordinates and work along with them as a part of the team.

Pros

Flexible hours of work

Cons

Some days to work was long hours

A dynamic workplace always striving for best practice

I've worked for Sydney Trains for nearly 19 years. I check my emails and phone voice mail and prioritise tasks that require to be done. I have learned advanced time management, negotiation & conflict resolution skills, always striving to complete tasks on time in an efficient and effective manner. I've learnt to liaise with all stakeholders when a tasks require completion and if a task cannot be completed on time inform all parties including my supervisor and manager of revise target date before task due. The workplace culture in Sydney Trains is good but it has changed over the years its now all about results and the camaraderie has waned substantially outside my work section. The hardest part of job is pleasing all stakeholders when multiple tasks are due the same time that is why i constantly inform stakeholders of current situation either via phone call, email or in person if within same building. I like the challenge of the job and my immediate section staff we try to maintain a high standard and friendly atmosphere.

Pros

Free Travel pass to and from work

Cons

sometimes same tasks each day

Good government department to work for, appreciates skills and experience developed elsewhere and is interested in trying new ideas. I have, in the short time I've worked there, been able to develop and grow as a change professional, more so than in other roles.

Pros

Easy going work culture and committed people

Cons

Few

A highly proffesional safe place to work

Good advancement opportunities with the right qualification you can easily move from one sectors to another . Examples are if you wanted a more customer focused experience it would be easy to transfer to a station position or if you prefer bring isolated a train crew role would be preferred .

Pros

Good environment with good support services

Cons

Don't provide staff with cofffee got to bring your own

Interesting projects

-Interesting projects -Variety of skill sets were required which necessitated steep "on the job" learning -Varied workforce with diverse skills and values

Pros

work life balance

Cons

very political

Electrifying work place

My Experience at Sydney trains was phenomenal. I thoroughly loved the Synergy in the organisation. The atmosphere was fantastic where people always had a laugh which relieved a lot of tension.

Always working away . Never home .

Should be more flexible Long shofts Never home Never see my family . Im not sure wat u want from me in this review but its like the job itself . Always wanting more out of me . Never happy.....

Pros

Not sure

Cons

Never home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sydney Trains. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Sydney Trains