TLC Health Care Employee Reviews for PCW

POOR POOR aged care home. Residents treated like cattle. WARNING!!!
PCW (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 August 2018
In all honesty I CANNOT recommend this group as fair and decent employers.

The preferred style of management is autocratic and staff are not included in any decision making processes. Staff are treated as objects, or tools to be used to maximize profits for the company.

Positive feedback and praise is NON - EXISTENT and one is left feeling unappreciated and undervalued yet their expectations are high.

Staff cutbacks have increased the workload for those on the floor, thus it may be reasonable to assume residents may not receive the timely care they request or require. Due to the OPPRESSIVE nature of the environment and POOR MORALE, staff turnover is high with many terrific carers and nurses resigning. Numerous individuals have been sacked and given very feeble reasons for the termination of their services. It could be deduced that the practice of challenging those in positions of authority is viewed in a very dim light, even if the aim is to promote healthy change and ensure best practice. Staff opinion is not a consideration and people may be subjected to suspensions or dismissal should they voice discontent or concerns associated with their roles. Various former staff members have alleged VICTIMIZATION / HARASSMENT.

Whilst the company openly admits to being "a business" with the aim being to generate profit for stakeholders, the general public is unaware that in order to do this satisfactorily, care delivery by definition, may be compromised. Many of the managers are Enrolled nurses rather than Registered Nurses and this creates problems in terms of RNs asserting
  more... their legal rights whilst being under the direction of lesser qualified health professionals. The company does not employ a Director of Nursing or a Clinical Care Co-ordinator to oversee the performance of nursing staff, and it needs to be said with all respect that Enrolled Nurses do not have the skill, knowledge or education to direct or oversee the provision of gold standard resident care. Having studied the company website and the advertising spin, my personal opinion is that they fall short of the claims made.

The Care staff are marvelous, but they're overworked and underpaid for their contribution. However, there is an extremely large, well staffed administrative Head Office whose employees have enormous pull in the running of the company but are rarely sighted at the actual nursing homes, and if they ARE it is to resolve some issue that threatens company reputation.

Letters to HR expressing concerns are not acknowledged, and one is not provided with any feedback and/or information that may have resulted from investigations (indeed one would NOT even know whether their issue had been considered or addressed!) Morale is currently at an all-time low, and should anyone dare to enquire as to the reason for rapid, unanticipated, seemingly unproductive change employees are told they have choices and if they do not "like" the direction the facility is taking then they should leave....NOW! With that sort of response forthcoming it is no wonder that employees actually take management at it's word and GO!

Still no reasonable explanation has been given for the implementation of apparently drastic alterations to operations at ground level. As the company is in the throes of extending one of their facilities by 60 beds, one must ask whether this attitude will ensure they have adequate staff numbers to man it!! I for one would certainly never recommend anyone seeks employment with this privately owned and operated business.
Having said all that and expressed my personal opinion I must say that the carers are terrific and deserve to be treated with more dignity and respect than they are accorded.

The elderly residents are wonderful, they're a joy to care for and the wisdom and experience they continue to impart is precious beyond measure.
I have learned through my time with TLC that money & profits rather than altruism & benevolence form the basis for establishing aged care facilities.

I believe that there is no small measure of exploitation occurring in all privately owned concerns and I find this disturbing. It is my feeling that nursing homes/residential facilities should NO longer be be the domain of private sector enterprises, but revert back to the public sector for management by the Dept of Health & Ageing and be operated by appropriately educated, skilled, qualified health care professionals who have committed themselves to caring for the elderly for all the "right" reasons.