TAFE NSW
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

TAFE NSW Employee Reviews

Australia87 reviews
Too many bureaucrats that like to spend other peoples money. Only a small percentage of them have made a success of anything outside of TAFE, hence the reason they are so good at spending other peoples money.
Enjoyed working for TAFE NSW , learnt different areas and learnt how to deal with difficult situations and people.

Learning different systems, speaking to different cultures, helping others the best way i had been taught.
Pros
Staff Members and satisfaction from knowing i could help with the limited resources
Cons
Very little training on product and no consistency
No training provided yet if a customer is not happy with your answer then the consultant gets the blame from management. They offer no support or training they simply just do not renew your contract.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of support and training from management
There are 3 stages of recruitment: formal written application,a panel interview with a technical test and finally the successful candidate has to find a head teacher for employment. After all that perhaps there's casual employment at the whim of head teacher. I've actually been dismissed from a long term casual position when a new head teacher arrived and "tested" my reaction to her intentional provocation.

The recruitment process is wasteful and bureaucratic. Many Head teachers don't have the skills or the moral fibre to be given the right to deny successful candidates a teaching position. I hope that TAFE does not receive government contracts. It would be a misuse of taxpayer funding. Smaller private colleges are more flexible and efficient.
Pros
Facilities such as libraries and I.T
Cons
Staffing and Recruitment, very poor working status as casuals, Head teachers having a role in recruitment, the lack of personal connection with a large bureaucratic organisation
Don't expect to be treated well by management unless you are a personal friend, even if you are a GREAT teacher. TAFENSW barely follow RTO requirements for Assessments. Older campuses, "cook" students and teachers in non-air-conditioned classrooms that reach temperatures over 36C in summer (and below 10C in winter. - 8 hours) Students were fantastic.... great to help them succeed in their courses. Students were very appreciative of good teaching. Often said so in class.
Pros
Hourly Pay rate
Cons
Lack of personal integrity of managers. Poor temperature control/environment in classroom.
TAFE offers the benefits of a typical APS job. You can expect things to be a little slow at times but you are always guaranteed a comfortable work environment.
No respect from ICT management, and no regard for welfare of employees from ICT management. After a serious operation I had not received a return to work plan 1 year after I returned to work. No one from People and Safety contacted me regarding my welfare and how I was going post return to work. Requests to work from home from GP and Neurosurgeon we’re ignored by my manager and People and Safety. No return to work plan and no follow up on my welfare. Old tafe was a great place to work. The new one TAFE NSW structure has people stepping over others to further their career. I would not recommend anyone to work for the NTO (New Tafe Order); TAFE NSW.
Tafe is a wonderful exciting area to work in . I would work back there tomorrow.
Tafe is essential for the ongoing strength and success of Australia today and the future
A lot about Mental Health and the world we live in
Also psychology and counselling and how to help young children exposed to abuse

also about organising a system in which to maintain and help other people, whether they be the aged or disabled we are all apart of a community in which we all play a part

doing work experience with the elderly and disabled gave me an insight of their day to day struggles and also I've learned to appreciate what I have and I love making them smile back at me :)
TAFE is a good place to work. Hours of work are good. Approachable team leaders, achievable targets and people with alot of knowledge of systems and processes
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at TAFE NSW?
Fantastic place to work with knowledgeable friendly people.

Good opportunity for career advancement. I started as a 1/2 data entry clerk and progressed through the ranks.

Very transparent work place.
Complex and political with poor leadership.
The new Enterprise is still run by regional managers and teachers with poor attitudes towards commercial reality.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Some great staff and students to work with. Organisation in constant state of change.
Pick a different wall each day to bang your head against.

Systems are "clunky & outdated."

Equipment is non existent- need a printer- good luck finding one that works.
Enjoyed working with honest people.

People were friendly, pretty hard working and nice.

Enjoyed working within a team.

Most enjoyable thing that I enjoyed was data entry of invoices.
Working at TAFE NSW has been a great experience with a variety of work and people to get along with. Its good to have the facilities like libraries and canteens on site. The sad part is the way its been run down with staff not valued and no one caring about the massive turnover.
Pros
Respected employer, lots of great people
Cons
No long term prospects, most staff on contract
A good place to work even though it has a lot of changes that might impact the amount of work assigned to an employee. It has a lot of flexibility in regards to time.
Playsession is a part of our unit. It exposes students as to what and how a child care centre usually operates on a day to day basis. The most enjoyable part of this practise was that I get to interact with children.
a great experience filled with amazing people. It has been a pleasure having been able to put my time in. I will definitely miss the people and the work.
Organisation is in transition having survived a competition massacre. Quality staff and programs but organisationally static due to poor management fit and knowledge along with overwhelming budget restrictions and compliance pressure.
I started off as a student when I was offered casual work within TAFE. I enjoyed it so much that I am still here 8 years later.

I have worked in many roles but my favourite is my current role in ICT Assets. I have learnt high level use of the internal systems such as Service Now and SAP and use these daily, where I respond to customer requests and enquiries, ordering IT equipment to be sent to campuses all across NSW.

The workplace culture in my office is awesome, it is a fun place to work with smiling faces and support.
Nobody in my team has a permanent job. This makes us feel very insecure. Although management try to make the workplace enjoyable, it doesn't make up for the fact that we are essentially sitting in a classroom with old computers and dodgy chairs waiting for the eventual amalgamation of TAFE NSW.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at TAFE NSW. Our community is ready to answer.