TAFE NSW
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

TAFE NSW Employee Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Great Employer - Mind Numbing Management

Too many bureaucrats that like to spend other peoples money. Only a small percentage of them have made a success of anything outside of TAFE, hence the reason they are so good at spending other peoples money.

bad culture in office

Management was poor. Don't recommend working there. A lot of favoritism going on. NOt promoted on merit. Worst ex[erience in my life. Bad culture in office.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

bad management

Large and Inclusive Organisation

TAFE is a trusted organisation with great flexibility, work-life balance and job security.The smaller team you work with is always supportive and looking out for one-another - as it is sometimes hard to be part of such a large machine.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

progressing isn't so easy

Learning place

It's a learning facility and you have to bring your brain to the place. For me it was a good environment with great teachers end good class mates. I would do it again if it helped me get a job.

Cohesive, Caring and Cooperative

TAFE NSW is a great place to work. I have finally found my niche after more than two decades of working in a very difficult environment (a well known public hospital in Camperdown), where job insecurity, bullying, toxic environment was a standard expectation. At TAFE NSW, job satisfaction is finally a reality as is work flexibility. I have to pinch myself to believe I have such a great job!

Pros

Many

Cons

Not many

8 yrs fulltime toxic backstabbing hypicrites

After 8 yrs fulltime employment the hypocrisy and nepatism was to much. TAFE nsw have a god complex and spend far to much tax payers money hiding the truth, they certainly dont get audited with the same criteria as private rto's, they would be out of business in any public sector. My section had poorly skilled tradesman teaching anything but the unit guide content, no student fails and teachers are far from being current

Pros

Staff are protected while performing managments dodgy duties, like deleting credits and enroling students in units they have already done.

Cons

If you speak up you will be bullied out of employment using any tactics available.

Enjoyed working for TAFE NSW, where i learnt to deal with different people

Enjoyed working for TAFE NSW , learnt different areas and learnt how to deal with difficult situations and people. Learning different systems, speaking to different cultures, helping others the best way i had been taught.

Pros

Staff Members and satisfaction from knowing i could help with the limited resources

Cons

Very little training on product and no consistency

Disappointing

No training provided yet if a customer is not happy with your answer then the consultant gets the blame from management. They offer no support or training they simply just do not renew your contract.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Lack of support and training from management

Recruitment Process Wasteful and Stressful

There are 3 stages of recruitment: formal written application,a panel interview with a technical test and finally the successful candidate has to find a head teacher for employment. After all that perhaps there's casual employment at the whim of head teacher. I've actually been dismissed from a long term casual position when a new head teacher arrived and "tested" my reaction to her intentional provocation. The recruitment process is wasteful and bureaucratic. Many Head teachers don't have the skills or the moral fibre to be given the right to deny successful candidates a teaching position. I hope that TAFE does not receive government contracts. It would be a misuse of taxpayer funding. Smaller private colleges are more flexible and efficient.

Pros

Facilities such as libraries and I.T

Cons

Staffing and Recruitment, very poor working status as casuals, Head teachers having a role in recruitment, the lack of personal connection with a large bureaucratic organisation

It's not what you know, but who you know

Don't expect to be treated well by management unless you are a personal friend, even if you are a GREAT teacher. TAFENSW barely follow RTO requirements for Assessments. Older campuses, "cook" students and teachers in non-air-conditioned classrooms that reach temperatures over 36C in summer (and below 10C in winter. - 8 hours) Students were fantastic.... great to help them succeed in their courses. Students were very appreciative of good teaching. Often said so in class.

Pros

Hourly Pay rate

Cons

Lack of personal integrity of managers. Poor temperature control/environment in classroom.

Typical Government Job

TAFE offers the benefits of a typical APS job. You can expect things to be a little slow at times but you are always guaranteed a comfortable work environment.

Not an employer of choice

No respect from ICT management, and no regard for welfare of employees from ICT management. After a serious operation I had not received a return to work plan 1 year after I returned to work. No one from People and Safety contacted me regarding my welfare and how I was going post return to work. Requests to work from home from GP and Neurosurgeon we’re ignored by my manager and People and Safety. No return to work plan and no follow up on my welfare. Old tafe was a great place to work. The new one TAFE NSW structure has people stepping over others to further their career. I would not recommend anyone to work for the NTO (New Tafe Order); TAFE NSW.

Working as an educator for 10 years was very fulfilling

Tafe is a wonderful exciting area to work in . I would work back there tomorrow. Tafe is essential for the ongoing strength and success of Australia today and the future

Beautful people I was lucky enough to study with

A lot about Mental Health and the world we live in Also psychology and counselling and how to help young children exposed to abuse also about organising a system in which to maintain and help other people, whether they be the aged or disabled we are all apart of a community in which we all play a part doing work experience with the elderly and disabled gave me an insight of their day to day struggles and also I've learned to appreciate what I have and I love making them smile back at me :)

Great team, friendly environment

TAFE is a good place to work. Hours of work are good. Approachable team leaders, achievable targets and people with alot of knowledge of systems and processes

Hunter TAFE

Fantastic place to work with knowledgeable friendly people. Good opportunity for career advancement. I started as a 1/2 data entry clerk and progressed through the ranks. Very transparent work place.

Political with poor culture

Complex and political with poor leadership. The new Enterprise is still run by regional managers and teachers with poor attitudes towards commercial reality.

Pros

Flexible work hours

challenging

Some great staff and students to work with. Organisation in constant state of change. Pick a different wall each day to bang your head against. Systems are "clunky & outdated." Equipment is non existent- need a printer- good luck finding one that works.

People were nice to be around.

Enjoyed working with honest people. People were friendly, pretty hard working and nice. Enjoyed working within a team. Most enjoyable thing that I enjoyed was data entry of invoices.

Good place to work in the short term

Working at TAFE NSW has been a great experience with a variety of work and people to get along with. Its good to have the facilities like libraries and canteens on site. The sad part is the way its been run down with staff not valued and no one caring about the massive turnover.

Pros

Respected employer, lots of great people

Cons

No long term prospects, most staff on contract

N/a

A good place to work even though it has a lot of changes that might impact the amount of work assigned to an employee. It has a lot of flexibility in regards to time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TAFE NSW. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• TAFE NSW