TAFE NSW

TAFE NSW Employee Reviews

Australia99 reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Good place to work .

Takes a while to get use to the bureaucracy and learn to tick all the right boxes, otherwise good as long as you stay out of office politics and say the right things to the right people.

Pros

Good people.

Cons

Frustrating systems.

Stressful Workplace

Systems introduced resulted in multiple handling and significantly more time taken to get through work. Unrealistic goals. Poor management with intimidation tactics used. Used to be a good workplace.

Good Place to work

The work life balance is really great, having the option to work from home two days a week. Team leaders are informative and always happy to help. No micro managing, which is good.

Good pay, managment sucked

Good pay, staff was nice, though the big wigs wanted to cut funding to everything so they could keep their cashflow so everyone else had to bite the dust.

Cooperative and good

Good culture and very good professionals and experienced peopleSettling in is faster than many other placesIt requests access requests will take time

Very hard to fit in

Phone, counter, staff, students, problem solving with students, teachers and management, complaints, data entry a lot of data entry, call centre. Many different personalities, but some students were very happy with their success at studies and that what we are at TAFE for.

Great job but we are all going now so time to move on

Its we a great ride 19 years at Tafe it had good days and bad but you work though it,because that was the job to look after people and property,but it all gone now they getting rid of as so time to move on to a new story

Cons

38 hour weeks

It's a good job for practical teachers.

Teaching at TAFE is very rewarding as the students want to be there and learn. You can concentrate on the subject rather than having to motivate them constantly. This doesn't mean you can ignore making the lesson engaging.

Pros

Good working environment

Cons

Strange hours, start at 4 for example.

bad culture in office

Management was poor. Don't recommend working there. A lot of favoritism going on. NOt promoted on merit. Worst ex[erience in my life. Bad culture in office.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

bad management

Large and Inclusive Organisation

TAFE is a trusted organisation with great flexibility, work-life balance and job security.The smaller team you work with is always supportive and looking out for one-another - as it is sometimes hard to be part of such a large machine.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

progressing isn't so easy

Learning place

It's a learning facility and you have to bring your brain to the place. For me it was a good environment with great teachers end good class mates. I would do it again if it helped me get a job.

Cohesive, Caring and Cooperative

TAFE NSW is a great place to work. I have finally found my niche after more than two decades of working in a very difficult environment (a well known public hospital in Camperdown), where job insecurity, bullying, toxic environment was a standard expectation. At TAFE NSW, job satisfaction is finally a reality as is work flexibility. I have to pinch myself to believe I have such a great job!

Pros

Many

Cons

Not many

8 yrs fulltime toxic backstabbing hypicrites

After 8 yrs fulltime employment the hypocrisy and nepatism was to much. TAFE nsw have a god complex and spend far to much tax payers money hiding the truth, they certainly dont get audited with the same criteria as private rto's, they would be out of business in any public sector. My section had poorly skilled tradesman teaching anything but the unit guide content, no student fails and teachers are far from being current

Pros

Staff are protected while performing managments dodgy duties, like deleting credits and enroling students in units they have already done.

Cons

If you speak up you will be bullied out of employment using any tactics available.

Enjoyed working for TAFE NSW, where i learnt to deal with different people

Enjoyed working for TAFE NSW , learnt different areas and learnt how to deal with difficult situations and people. Learning different systems, speaking to different cultures, helping others the best way i had been taught.

Pros

Staff Members and satisfaction from knowing i could help with the limited resources

Cons

Very little training on product and no consistency

Disappointing

No training provided yet if a customer is not happy with your answer then the consultant gets the blame from management. They offer no support or training they simply just do not renew your contract.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Lack of support and training from management

Recruitment Process Wasteful and Stressful

There are 3 stages of recruitment: formal written application,a panel interview with a technical test and finally the successful candidate has to find a head teacher for employment. After all that perhaps there's casual employment at the whim of head teacher. I've actually been dismissed from a long term casual position when a new head teacher arrived and "tested" my reaction to her intentional provocation. The recruitment process is wasteful and bureaucratic. Many Head teachers don't have the skills or the moral fibre to be given the right to deny successful candidates a teaching position. I hope that TAFE does not receive government contracts. It would be a misuse of taxpayer funding. Smaller private colleges are more flexible and efficient.

Pros

Facilities such as libraries and I.T

Cons

Staffing and Recruitment, very poor working status as casuals, Head teachers having a role in recruitment, the lack of personal connection with a large bureaucratic organisation

Great Employer - Mind Numbing Management

Too many bureaucrats that like to spend other peoples money. Only a small percentage of them have made a success of anything outside of TAFE, hence the reason they are so good at spending other peoples money.

It's not what you know, but who you know

Don't expect to be treated well by management unless you are a personal friend, even if you are a GREAT teacher. TAFENSW barely follow RTO requirements for Assessments. Older campuses, "cook" students and teachers in non-air-conditioned classrooms that reach temperatures over 36C in summer (and below 10C in winter. - 8 hours) Students were fantastic.... great to help them succeed in their courses. Students were very appreciative of good teaching. Often said so in class.

Pros

Hourly Pay rate

Cons

Lack of personal integrity of managers. Poor temperature control/environment in classroom.

Typical Government Job

TAFE offers the benefits of a typical APS job. You can expect things to be a little slow at times but you are always guaranteed a comfortable work environment.

Not an employer of choice

No respect from ICT management, and no regard for welfare of employees from ICT management. After a serious operation I had not received a return to work plan 1 year after I returned to work. No one from People and Safety contacted me regarding my welfare and how I was going post return to work. Requests to work from home from GP and Neurosurgeon we’re ignored by my manager and People and Safety. No return to work plan and no follow up on my welfare. Old tafe was a great place to work. The new one TAFE NSW structure has people stepping over others to further their career. I would not recommend anyone to work for the NTO (New Tafe Order); TAFE NSW.

Working as an educator for 10 years was very fulfilling

Tafe is a wonderful exciting area to work in . I would work back there tomorrow. Tafe is essential for the ongoing strength and success of Australia today and the future

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TAFE NSW. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare TAFE NSW with

• TAFE NSW
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?