Target Australia

Target Australia Employee Reviews

Australia466 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

its okay

Most days had different working environments - some days would be very slow and boring others would be too fast pace. at the beginning there was little to no training and were expected to learn everything yourself

Pros

make friends

Cons

poor pay

Productive and fun

Target is good for a casual job. However, if you want to become part-time or full-time it is highly unlikely. Pay is good for a first time job or a teenager, but not good if you’re living off of it. Management and team are good. Would recommend.

Pros

Benefits, short hours

Cons

Short breaks, could be pay

Unrealistically Difficult Performance Objectives with Low Pay.

They will keep giving you tasks even after your shift is over but not pay you extra. They immediately cut pay if you arrive late but don't pay extra for working extra. Managers give unrealistically difficult goals and actually expect you to finish it. Pay is underwhelming except on Sundays where they pay you 1.5x.

Passive aggressive managers and daily confusion

My managers were really passive aggressive about literally anything you did wrong. The duties were extremely confusing to coordinate, managers didn’t help.

Pros

Short hours

Cons

Short breaks, annoying managers, little pay

Started at a casual, ended up going into management

I started working at Target as a Christmas casual when I was 15. Over the years, I worked various different contracts while studying at uni. Eventually was asked to go into management, which I accepted as I enjoyed my job so much. If you are hardworking, it is a very accomodating place to work.

Pls don’t work here

Don’t work here. The managers will never respond to you. You will be cleaning the store most of the time. You will never meet other people. And the pay is terrible.

Fun place to work

Great place and people ,they are helpful if you don't know how to do a job. Management is easy to talk to,fun atmosphere ,we have games that we play,every Friday we have a different theme

Excellent place to work

Have been with Target for nearly 20 years which says it all. Any job can be stressful but the culture and people at Target make it the best place to work.

Great place to start

Target was a great place for me to start out of school, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a job out of school, but as I've got older the cracks have begun to show. To start with the good, you can get hired just for showing up near Christmas time. Whilst this is good for young people, it means that there is always one or two people who probably wouldn't have got the job in a usual setting. In a job like target, the attitude and work ethic of one person often affects everyone elseCompounding with this, management is scared of paperwork so they never fire people. The punishment for lousy performance is to just cut your shifts (without telling you there is a problem) until you get sick of it and leave. There was a person at my workplace who would walk off the job at a precise time every day and go to the bathroom for half an hour, something that all the managers were aware of among other things and they were never let go. Again, this is probably the most secure job on earth but you will be frustrated by the morons if you actually care. As for the managers very few are competent and if you look into them you'll find elements of nepotism and immense 'sucking up' that got them there. I know of at least two people who got promotions soon after a friend of theirs became manager or the manager left and recommended them. Of the ones who got their on their own merit, they treat the rulebook like the bible. If you do something they don't like they will claim you were going against Target's processes, even if what you did showed initiative (and especially if what you did -

No job security.

I both enjoyed and hated working for Target but things have changed slightly now. Some team members make your bad times ok and worth staying if you don’t get made redundant because of the position you worked your way into. No loyalty from the ones who run the company, you are just a replaceable number to them. If it wasn’t for that I’d still be there and possibly retired there.

Great first job

Great first job or casual job, lots of variety in positions. No real progression or advancement in career unless you were in the clique or on managers good side.

Nice

Good environment with decent management and flexible hours. However the shifts given are short if not during peak periods like Christmas and you can find better pay elsewhere.

Pros

Flexible working hours and 20% discount on clothing and accessories

Cons

Short shifts

Productive, keeps you on your toes, flexible

I worked at Target for 4 years. I started out as someone who tidied the store and now work at the customer service desk. My team members are all lovely and my managers are helpful and flexible when it comes to a work and life balance. Sometimes it can get a little overwhelming when it’s busy, but the team makes it worth the while!

Pros

Good culture, friendly team

Cons

Can get very busy, short-staffed sometimes

Not the worst for a first job

Started working a little while ago and it’s not the worst place to start working, very overwhelming for me because of anxiety but generally pretty nice to junior casual workers in my experience

make new friends easily

worked there for 3 years, it was great for 2 years. but on my last year i would only get roster once in a fortnight. they would only give out shifts on the group chat and it was first come first serve. i eventually got tired of it and left. management was not that good.

Pros

bonus cards

Cons

unstable

Positive and supportive

Lots of different jobs in the one place , each department has its own jobs in itself, so many opportunities to learn , good place to develop customer service skills

Productive, good work experience

It was a great introduction to the workforce! Got into Target for work experience and they really expose you to what its like to wake up and gwt ready to work.

Could not bare to work here for the sake of my sanity

I was only at Target for a few months as I could not stand it. My managers were passive aggressive and did not like to help. They also did not listen to my requests. Most of the employees were quite nice but I don't think many of them liked their job.

Fun place to work

Fun environment to work in, management listens to staff and there's always work to do which keeps us busy. Very fast paced during holiday seasons but no one is overu worked, an issue could be there is a constant stream of new employees coming in.

Worked here for 8 years and loved it :) obviously some managers aren’t so great but lots of good people! Pay was good and so was the environment. I miss it sometimes.

Was a decent job

The pay was $22 for a 19 year old. Often got asked to do more shifts as a casual or to stay longer. Was difficult to get others to cover your shifts.

Pros

Staff were nice.

Cons

Sometimes 3 hour shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target Australia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Target Australia with