Target Australia Employee Reviews

Demoralized Employees and Poor Management
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Lakes QLD17 October 2018
A typical day at work:
For those that work for online, barely any help is provided to them. For those that work in hard goods there might be 1 or 2 people covering all the departments. Lucky to ever see 3 employees for that area. Being told how to do simple tasks that you never get wrong nor neglect. Being over worked and constantly hearing people call in sick. Work cages/rails 24/7 and never doing your other jobs other than tidy.

What you learned:
How to tidy, present and maintain a department. And how to not run a store, and of course how to run a store.

Management:
Barely on the floor. Tend to scream and belittle employees. One manager likes to tell people how to do their job all the time for the most simple of jobs. Like how to print, scan an item. Regardless of those people all ready knowing how to do it. Lack of discipline on the floor due to absence of management on floor. Regional manager also part of the problem at Target North Lakes.

Workplace Culture:
1 year ago and beyond into the past, good workplace culture. Now, toxic and demoralizing. Employees appear not interested in work due to being demoralized and management.

The hardest part of the job:
The workplace's culture and management.

The most enjoyable part of the job:
Being able to actually work in your assigned department and serving customers that need assistance instead of tidying, working palates and working cages/rails 24/7. Also includes the overloaded back dock with it's contents dating back many months and never being worked onto the floor.
Pros
Refit, Self Service Registers, Online Orders, Bonuses
Cons
Poor Management, Toxic Environment, Lack of Staff on Floor
having to communicate with new people
Cemo (Former Employee) –  Granville NSW11 October 2018
having to socialize with new people in the workplace at target, this is why it inspires me to work there. Also I did work experience there and it was great.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Decent people active work place
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Armidale NSW8 October 2018
Nice first job work place, friendly staff and customers, beautiful merchandise, clean and tidy store, lovely set up and friendly vibes all round nice place to shop and work
Pros
monthly discounts
Cons
spacey shifts for casuals
Overall okay place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Unley SA 50617 October 2018
Doesn't really care about their staff once they turn 18 or older, they much rather prefer hiring cheap 15 year olds to do jobs which shows they don't value quality, loyal employees whatsoever so they can slowly get rid of the other employees. Keep hiring managers from no target or even department store background and then wonder why they move on so quickly or cant do their job
Pros
Make good friends
Cons
No respect for employees
Fun place to work with excellent training program.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bundaberg QLD14 September 2018
Enjoyable environment to work. Great staff who are professional and enjoy dealing with customers. Management are always happy to assist when needed.
Customer Service Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Townsville QLD2 September 2018
Target is a great place to work as first job or make it a career with opptunties to go onto department manager & store manager, opptunties to go further within Target.
Provides good customer service and respects between staff
Target | Mount Gambier SA | Casual Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mount Gambier SA15 August 2018
Target taught me personally a lot of new skills in which I can use in my future jobs and it also has great customer service towards all customers ensuring that their needs come first.
Mean Girls meets Hunger Games
Design (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC10 August 2018
A toxic working environment and culture led by a "boys club" management team. Bullying and ostracism are rife and ignored by those who should be dealing with it . The office environment is more like a high school playground than a professional work environment. Staff are overworked and burnt out with a revolving door of employees leaving every day. Avoid at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Toxic culture, overworked staff, poor management
Productive, Educational and Fun
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kotara NSW9 August 2018
Love working for this company, great staff and management. I have learnt a lot from this company being my first place of employment and it's a fun work environment to be in.
Great workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA6 August 2018
Enjoyed working here very much. The managers and co workers were all great to work with. Everyone very respectful. Unfortunately had to leave due to falling pregnant.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Excellent
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Randwick NSW19 July 2018
Having a excellent experience at Target getting experience in retail and sales. When I went on work placement I learnt about the small jobs at Target and how I learnt how to communicate with others or by myself
Pros
Friendly service
Bad Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth SA17 July 2018
The staff at target was good, the people you worked with were top notch class A people but the managerial staff were abhorrent. They looked down on the day to day workers as if they were nothing, took no complaint seriously and even cut pay/hours whenever they felt like it without telling you.
You would rather die!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth SA15 July 2018
Team members can be great or gossiping. Managers steal team members compliments from the regional or store managers in order to better themselves. Managers don't teach, senior staff have to teach and help new team members.
a great place to learn new skills and progress within the company.
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberwell NSW1 July 2018
every day is different with new people to meet
how to access a situation and debrief away from possible conficts
some have different ways of achieving the same goal
a non discriminate place to work embracing differences
adjusting to shifts day and afternoon
meeting and getting to know staff and become friends
Pros
christmas celebrations
Cons
adjusting to hours
Fun relaxed atmosphere lace to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Picton NSW20 June 2018
Good staff friendly customers. Good place to work at - very easy to understand how to use registers and laybuy machines. Enjoyed my time working for this company
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Not busy enough
The actual job was Niven but the environment of the workers was a Bit negative for me
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 June 2018
The work was very normal but for me I didn’t feel comfortable because some workers were a bit rude and I did work with them still with an open mind but I would rather work in a more relaxed environment that way you can achieve more. When I first started there were a couple that were really nice but some werent very inviting to me or helped me.
Pros
Nice customers and some nice workers
Cons
Some rude workers
Productive and enjoyable workplace but with poor management
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Perth WA4 May 2018
Target was a great first job and I found it very easy to get stuck into working and learn about the culture around me, but the management was a bit poor due to them always changing casual shifts after promising multiple of us casual workers a permanent shift at least once a week. I would receive phone calls stating that I haven't come in for a shift when my name was not on the roster for that coming day/week. I also was put on the registers all weekend in peak times after only receiving 3 hours of training nearly 9 months previous.
Pros
Decent breaks, good workmates
Cons
poor management, no shifts
What I learned
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Hurstville29 April 2018
Working for Target, this is where I learned the foundations for working in retail. Target offers extensive training across all areas of the retail world.
Pros
training, incentives, management, salary
Cons
Na
It’s a no from me.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 April 2018
Big promises, with next to no outcome. The recruitment process was torture especially for the role that I was applying for. Would not recommended working here.
Long hours and no recognition what so ever. Customer service is pretty dismal, and the team are there for the money, not the experience.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
great place with environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC18 April 2018
A good place to work with and great people and environment also the manger is a good person and keeps the store functioning. The customers feel welcomed when at the store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target Australia. Our community is ready to answer.