Telstra Employee Reviews

friendly work environment
Customer service consultant complex (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT15 April 2018
fast paced help desk ,all tools and training provided to complete required tasks .
Good work place culture ,safe environment ,encourages and provides further training and education in many fields across Telstra
Pros
fun and friendly work environment
Cons
No free parking
Prior to privatisation was a great place to work however work culture changed immensely.
Level 6 Manager (Former Employee) –  Bundaberg QLD15 April 2018
Starting at the bottom level and over a period of years it was great to learn all the new technology being phased in. Hardest part of the job was the constant changes involved with becoming a private company. A great place to work and enjoy family lifestyle.
Strong project focused with high level of service expectation
Business / Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA14 April 2018
Strong project focused with high level of service expectation.
High level of support for workplace culture and Job work / life balance
Customer focused
Stats driven
Excellent safety culture in high risk environment
it's just a job - political, bad workplace culture, old school, avoidable
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC12 April 2018
lots of jobs available

work culture sucks
management rules
avoid this place, if possible

my learning is it's good to just start your work experience and get out at the earliest.

Further up the chain, it's fun as the cronies do all the jobs and the managers relax and protect their cushioned existence.
productive and fun workplace
CATV installer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC9 April 2018
excellent salary and benefits. Company van, company phone and winter and summer uniforms supplied. CATV course payed for and payed while doing the course.
Pros
Van, Tools, Phone, Uniforms supplied
Cons
6 month contracts
Sales Consultant
telstra Business Centre - Solutions Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD5 April 2018
great place when I first started, They also have great learning potential if you put in the hard yards. but they are not really open to listening to staff, its their way or the highway. There is a lot of bullying in the work place and a lot of staff turn over
Pros
Awesome building and facilities
Cons
to much pressure
the most enjoyable part of the job
Customer service officer (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC28 March 2018
Enjoyed working with Telstra and its staff and clients and providing excellent service to our clients Extremely well rewarded whist working there.,in one particular was awarded Vic/ Tas customer service representative of the year also in the same year was awarded 4th nationally
Pros
Great rewardes
Cons
when provided with extra pay a cosequence was that lost our jobs
Great team
Field Deployment Support - Northern Remote QLD (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD26 March 2018
Great team
Great hours
Great management
We were made redundant due to centralisation of deployment to Brisbane
Lots of fun great team to work with
Lifelong friends
Introduction into Technology
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool NSW20 March 2018
I spent 12 years with this company and made many friends . This was a retail role so dealt with a lot of different people which always made the job interesting .We had many social occasions which was great for team morale . Career wise I advanced from a shop assistant into a Store Manager .
Pros
Varied from day to day never boring
Cons
Rotating roster
Never again
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Queen Street QLD18 March 2018
Sales representative making outbound calls to anyone who was with Telstra.. Yes I was that annoying telemarketer trying to force you to upgrade or sell more. Never liked it because I hate forcing people to buy things!!.
full time position 9 - 5pm
Sitting all day and making calls all day
Pros
Good weekly pay
Cons
Everything else
Great work culture and work/life balance
Content Partners Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW15 March 2018
Telstra has helped me gain a lot of new experiences and skills by allowing me to dip into various tasks/projects. It's got a great working culture and is all about providing its staff flexibility to ensure they have a a good work/life balance.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Approval processes
Good Place to Work
Proffessional Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW14 March 2018
Good, changing culture throughout the workplace. Telstra is currently digitising and modernising and is an exciting place to work at present

The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility and opportunity to learn more skills
Workplace
Information Technologist (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW13 March 2018
Workplace culture is good. Management is good. Good work life balance. Not enough reward for hard working employee. Salary is not that much as compared to others ins similar position.
Pros
Good work-life balance
Cons
Salary not enough
Happy days
technician (Current Employee) –  Perth WA7 March 2018
Enjoyed my time with Telecom and am still enjoying contracting to Telstra to this day.
A typical day involves logging in to the Telstra server and accepting the workload for the day. After breakfast I travel to my first appointment and begin my day.
Pros
Rostered day off.
Cons
HSE over regulation.
Telecommunications
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Docklands VIC 30084 March 2018
A well known telecommunications company with far too many management changes at the lower levels. Before Team Managers start to work with their staff and get to know them in order to build on the relationship, a new Manager enters the scene and the process starts all over. Record keeping between Managers on staff is poor but the staff are pretty good to get you through your day to day activities.

If you get a good Manager and you work together to achieve team goals, they are supportive. No real coaching and development as it seems it's a tick box system and no other follow up during the month regarding what to work on and of course not aligned with the month especially target setting for the month which is already 2 weeks in.

Opportunities are based again on who you know, not if they are the correct person. Managers do not like staff who challenge them as they rather like being dictators.

Overall, not a bad company to work for.
Pros
As above
Cons
As above
productive and fun
Design Specialist at Client (Current Employee) –  Newcastle NSW27 February 2018
working with Telstra is a great opportunity.
always it is fun, productive working with Telstra
Management is so good , help you in all aspects of your career.
For most it was a great place to work.
Band 5 Communications Officer (Technician) (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC27 February 2018
I was lucky enough to have a flexible work place in relation to my work day and the order in which jobs were completed up until the restructure of Telstra. After which time things changed and not necessarily for the best from a rural/remote customer point. They are still judged as being urban customers as judged by a map on the wall.
Change occurs very slowly
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD18 February 2018
Change can take a very long time to occur in some areas of Telstra. This aside it is a great place to work and the perks are very attractive - they treat their permanent employees well
Pros
Perks
Cons
Even the simple processes are somehow made complex
Good job culture
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC10 February 2018
Good place to work and learn. The work/ life balance if nice.
There are many benefits apart from salary. Job security is great.
Here is the best job culture I enjoy in my entire career.
First job
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 February 2018
This was my first job working in an office environment, the role itself exposed me to a better understanding of how an office functions and how projects are managed, improving my knowledge of things like basic Microsoft Office skills, databases etc.

The culture was fine, perhaps a little stale. Not a terribly stimulating workplace and personally my role didn't involve a great deal of training. The people were by and large good and had a willingness to help you to learn new skills and understanding, but this was more of an ad hoc nature rather than any kind of formal training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Telstra. Our community is ready to answer.