Tesla Employee Reviews

New Challenges Every Day
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CA19 October 2018
Great place to work. High Energetic Work Place, Full Of Opportunity and New Challenges. I am very grateful for the opportunity and all the experience. Highly Recommended.
Great people, great mission, Not the best organization
Regional Channel Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA19 October 2018
Had a great time working for Tesla and i respect the product. The people are great, leadership leaves something to be desired, promotions for management do not scrutinize leadership traits, but go off of performance in a particular role. Pay is good, hours are intense, very demanding, but overall fast paced and great energy.
Good in theory
Equipment Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NV19 October 2018
This is a factory, just like any other. The culture that is promoted by the company is not reflective in the workplace. The management structure, while flattened to resemble an IT business platform has reformed itself into a mass production - top down management structure. Unfortunately, the mentality of their previous employers had carried over to a "do-as-I-say or else" relationship with hourly employees. It is not uncommon to have your employment threatened at least once a month or more in a group setting. The ambiguity surrounding the guidelines for advancement is unmatched. All available information pertaining to it is obsolete, the rules and metrics are unstated, and keeping your pay private because it "causes people to quit" is openly promoted.
Protective footwear is mandatory, and you are give a voucher that partial covers the cost. Tools are sparse and stolen regularly. There is not a training program or training in place for skilled trades. There is not tuition reimbursement, but they do offer student loan restructuring. They have 401k but it does not match.
If you have the aspirations of coming on in a lower position and then advancing into another, i.e. Technician to Engineer, it is highly unlikely and very inadvisable. Moving out of an area or out of a slot is difficult. Many people here have tried and are very locked into a position they can not move through. If you plan to join the team, you have the upper hand with the recruiting. You have matched their stringent qualitative requirements in their process. Deeply consider what they have seen. If you undersell
  more... yourself, it will take you a long time to recover to where you actually are.
While there are large pockets of highly toxic leaders, not all areas are affected. There are some incredible individuals with teams that can make employment here wildly rewarding. However, those areas have very little movement, for obvious reasons. The company does have great health benefits at a very low cost. But the pay is low. About six dollars an hour below the local area for matching work. There is a tremendous amount that can be learned here, and is usable anywhere else, if you mind the 24 month relocation assistance pro-rata repayment. Shift work is 12 hours a day, night shift has a premium. The commute is aggressive and dangerous. Serious accidents are a regular occurrence. Long shift work, funneled access to the factory, from a two lane highway are not filled with mindful drivers in reliable and safe transportation. However, they do offer shuttle services, but still on the same roads.
Pros
Cafe is nice, great benefits, lots of sugar available, really cool equipment
Cons
Ambiguity in metrics and pay, lots of sugar available, mass production mentality
long days short weeks
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NV18 October 2018
Twelve hour days three to four days a week.
Free soda cereal gold fish and pretzels.
Benefits include great health insurance 401k free legal advice
Up pace work speed
Tesla
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CA17 October 2018
Very Stressful
Did not learn anything
Management was friendly
Enjoyable part is working with the employees
No work culture
Management was nice and friendly
unsafe conditions
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CA17 October 2018
I was recruited through Linkedin and was told this would be a day shift position, after I was excepted I was called 2 days before orientation and was told that the shift I was told i was going to be on was changed and I would be working the night shift. After I resigned my last position of night shift.
Pros
cereal in the break room along with free ice cream. Exercize room and clean locker area
Cons
working conditions
what you learned
DMV Title Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CA17 October 2018
I have learned to efficiently do DMV Paperwork and get thm out on a timely matter. I have a set amount of paper that need to be sent out per hour and found this to be somewhat of a challenge at first. But with the proper trainng Im able to do much more than expected
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Travel time horrible
Sudden changes frequently
Business Processing (Former Employee) –  Draper, Ut17 October 2018
Processes and job locations often changed without notice. Not much communication between management and working employees lead to confusion and uncertainty.
Pros
Early shifts availabe
Cons
Less vacation time
Good work if you have no where else to go.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV16 October 2018
2 hours of commuting plus 12 hour shifts can take a toll on those who aren't prepared for it. Work/Life balance is terrible, but if you live close and need the money its ok.

Don't expect to last long, the turnover rate is around 1-2 months on average.
Great
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MD16 October 2018
Great place to come to work for it was the people that made it great! the mission was just a plus. It was a good time in working and learning from logistics to cost analyst
Cons
not enough pay for the work
Long hours. Disposable, like cattle. Fighting for your worth only creates waves.
EOL Technician II (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CA 9453615 October 2018
Been here 6 years. No one takes it seriously because:

-Likelihood of injury is preset, and it's high if you perform repetitive tasks.Tesla does not like to pay for work-related injuries, even if it's a proven issue. They have on-going manpower issues because they refuse to investigate the source of ergo problems. You may find yourself placed back into the exact same harmful environment, over and over, until you quit.
Their actions say, "Its easier to replace you, than to spend money on "'our' problems."

-A general lack of effort to make things fair- new employees become leads before their experienced co-workers, and no one cares! And despite being asked to host training over and OVER, "Experienced Tech" never receives raise/level up for this, only more people to train. Friends become leaders, not skilled or experienced workers.

-Managers leak unconfirmed information to the team about the opportunity for growth, in order to motivate and get more results from employees. In reality, these positions and advancement opportunities do not exist.
EXAMPLE- I was told that I earned a new position, and I performed those job duties to a tee as directed by supervisor, for over a month. Then I was told that this position never existed. I was re-established in my old department underneath people that I had trained before I had initially moved. When I inquired about receiving recognition for these tasks, I was reminded by HR and (current) management that I never signed any paperwork related to a promotion or title-change. Thus, all discussion regarding employment advancement at
  more... that time, and any work that I had done up until that point was null and void.

-Managers delay or prevent people from signing official paperwork to solidify their final title/pay. This is so the team "direction" and personnel can be switched around on the fly, preventing an employee from holding managers/directors accountable for previous progress made towards a level-up/raise!

If you work here, you will be stuck this three-month loop until you play the friend-game;

New review process> New project/direction> New management> New Quarter > Repeat

OH and this is the BEST PART...
If you don't like what goes on here and how you're treated...HR has no problem reminding you that,

YOU ARE AN "AT WILL" EMPLOYEE

...and they don't owe you spit!
Pros
The "Cool" factor to outsiders
Cons
You are no more than a number to them.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA15 October 2018
Really love working here. Great staff and they take care of their own! Flexible hours, and they didn't give you a hard time about taking a day off every once in a while.
Pros
Friendly staff
Fun But Tough
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CA15 October 2018
Good people, but expect to be a self-starter who learns on the job and has long hours. Have to meet your goals no matter what, and everyone there on a permanent basis is a crazy hard worker.
Its a good job.
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CA12 October 2018
I can get the work done. I don't have issues with other coworkers. It takes a while getting used to when you are a trainee but if you have enough spirit to try, you can achieve it and it will all be easy. Hours are long but so are the days off. The pay is pretty good.
Great Company
Scheduling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Draper, UT11 October 2018
Great company to work for I believe in what they are doing but its still a volatile start up. I was laid off when they consolidated my department but still would love to work for them.
It’s an okay place
Service Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Draper, UT11 October 2018
The training environment has really rushed and I didn’t feel like Specialist were given the proper tools to succeed in their jobs. The benefits are amazing though.
Stressful
Field Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MD11 October 2018
The overall mission of TESLA is very important. Accelerating the world to clean and sustainable energies is very important. There will be many areas that TESLA will impact the globe for a positive experience.
wil een nieuw baan
productiemedewerker (Current Employee) –  Tilburg10 October 2018
Heb een vast contract maar wil een nieuw baan met een beter salaris.
Great company to work for!
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ10 October 2018
Tesla was an amazing company to work for. Being that it is (was) a younger company when I worked there, their was not much structure which I enjoyed. You never knew what the day would bring.
Fun
N/A (Current Employee) –  Fremont CA9 October 2018
I would love to work for Tesla I hear good things I was with Ford Motor until I retired and I am still young. I have applied for Tesla a couple of times with no feed back. I am a very hard worker with a lot of knowledge and experience Tesla would be glad to have me if only they gave me a chance. I am willing to relocate I would pay for my own relocation I would love to live in CA. It is time for to do something Different. I was on my last job for 21 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesla. Our community is ready to answer.