The Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Employee Reviews

Favorite job to date!
Great work /life balace and working environment. Lots of room for advancement and growth. Great pay and fun place to work while helping to make a difference and save lives.
Has the potential to be a fantastic place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA11 October 2019
The management culture is toxic and bullying in nature and due to being a National company sites are isolated and vulnerable to the poor management structure
Whistle blowers are pushed out the door and policy is not adhered to or respected
I was warned about the culture prior to starting and didn’t realise how bad it would be! All the good staff leave or are pushed out the door
Pros
Cons
Toxic culture in middle management
service
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  West Perth WA25 July 2019
red cross save lives knowing i was part of a team that is giving some one other there in the world a second chance to live, for me that all the motivation i needed as a represented them on a door to door sales basic through a company that gave me the chance
Target focused
Donor Services Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne16 May 2019
It is rewarding working for the Blood Service as you know you're helping to save lives, however it is very targets and numbers based. There is more focus why we didn't meet our blood target for the day, instead of looking at staffing and seeing that the centre was incredibly short staffed and run off their feet and couldn't collect to the target. There is no regard for staff, it is constantly short staffed and management continue to increase targets and don't understand why sick leave is so high and why a lot of people resign in their first year.
Work/life balance can be really difficult as all centres are now open 7 days and it can be hard to get a roster in which you have 2 days off next to each other. You work evenings, early mornings and weekends.

The people you work with are usually really lovely and helpful, but management are dreadful.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
upper management, stronger focus on targets rather than wellbeing of staff
great purpose for working, to help others in need.
Great team environment, really good job satisfaction helping people in need. Talking to the generous blood donors and organising times for them to come in and donate blood and blood products was really full filling.
Pros
great people
Cons
too many target changes over the last twelve months to keep a track of.
Bullying Culture from the top
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney, AU2 December 2018
Steer clear from working for this organisation. Unless you are willing to bully and harass your team and employees, you will be bullied and harassed yourself.
The organisation could use a major shake-up. A few whistleblowers would take the whole thing down.
Australia should be terrified that this organisation has such a hold over the blood supply, it's only a matter of time before more deaths occur because of the bad practices.
Pros
Recognised organisation; Decent coworkers
Cons
Bullying, overworked
picked up donors from various buisneses in the CBD and Outer Suburbs
Shuttle Bus driver (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne VIC16 July 2018
I started at various times of the day picking up groups of blood donors in the CBD and outer suburban areas of Melbourne and transporting them to the closest donor centres and using the skills I have learnt over the years to relax the new donors before they got to the donor centre. As I was out of the office most of the time I found the management were always inclusive in letting me know what was going on and making sure I was included in any after hours activities. The culture was great and I enjoyed every minute I worked there and was disappointed the shuttle Program was ending. As I was dealing with many various personalities and work place cultures it further enhanced my customer skills. I didn't find any part of the job hard although it was a challenge to find the best route around the various road works and traffic jams.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and working with the other staff at the Blood Bank.
Pros
working with the team and the occasional night out
Cons
the money
Efficient and friendly workplace
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 July 2018
- I learned many things at the blood service, what blood types there are, who can/cannot donate and why.
- Management team are very friendly and try to make their crew as happy as possible in the work place
- All staff are friendly and happy with one another
- The hardest part of the job is making sure all donors are okay after donating
- The most enjoyable part is seeing how happy donors are after donating and knowing that your job is a great cause.
Stressful on the donor floor every shift
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Victoria7 February 2018
Pressured every shift to meet key performance indicators. Monitored regarding performance of time to couch, how many assessments attended, % of successful venepuncture, % of successful collections, meeting targets for collection.
No thanks for working under stress everyday. No cover for sick leave, or annual leave. Same amount of collections targeted with skeleton staff as full staff. Management constantly pushing for more collections in a quicker time frame, more collections = more plasma to CSL.
Pros
Working with lovely donors
Cons
Short staffed, constant pressure, to meet more and more collections, Little acknowledgment of working under pressure every day.
Great place to work. Had a great manager, team and colleagues. 100% job satisfaction
People & Culture Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA13 November 2017
I enjoyed and loved my job. Had a great manager and leader, great leadership team as well, and more importantly, the work the Blood Service continues to do for the community - Saving Lives.
Pros
Great team spirit and belief in our organisation values, mission and vision.
Cons
Can't of any.
Company mission is good but staff are treated poorly.
Laboratory Technician and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kelvin Grove QLD18 October 2017
Structual changes to company that do not accomodate staff needs or concerns are common place. Non transparent nature of proceedings also contributes to the creation of poor staff culture and job satisfaction.
Great Personal Development opportunities
Administration & Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne VIC31 May 2017
Aust Red Cross Blood Service provides employees great opportunities and training to advance your career and skills.

Great organisation to work for providing a life saving product to the community.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
lovely , rewarding place to work at.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Regent arcade, Adelaide8 December 2016
Red Cross blood service is a rewarding place to work, knowing you are helping save lives everyday. regular donors may come every 2 weeks, they become part of your working family.
Pros
Saving lives
Cons
Hours of work
great knowledge and training development opportunities
Endorsed Enrolled Nurse - phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Liverpool NSW27 May 2016
great work environment. poor management.
i enjoyed working at the blood bank in Liverpool, but work life balance is shocking, as well as career development i couldn't balance uni and working there, so i had to leave.
Pros
great pay
Cons
poorly managed donor centre
Great team of dedicated staff
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 February 2016
A typical day was keeping donors not waiting. Ensuring no wait times in the interview process as well as the donating process.
I learnt so much about haematology the uses also the blood groups. Understanding the process of donating and controlling adverse outcomes. As well as learning plasma and platelet donating process.
Not always having enough staff eg.sick leave, holidays. It was difficult to leave a great work environment but I felt professionally I wanted to do more
Helpful and friedly workplace environment
Current Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ballarat VIC30 November 2015
Staff and management are helpful an supportive.

Assisting donors during and after blood and plasma donation.

I don't find any part hard. However, working as an EEN in aged care can be emotionally and physically challenging, but also very rewarding.

I enjoy knowing that I am helping a vital service when not working elsewhere.
Pros
I enjoy knowing that I am helping a vital service when not working elsewhere.
Cons
No cons as yet
Great Place!!!
Shift Coordinator / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brisbane18 October 2015
Great people and great culture... looks after their staff very well!!! Excellent health and safety focus as well! ARCBS also gives you that sense of pride in working for an organisation that helps others.
Pros
brilliant company to work for!
Cons
shift work
Australian Red Cross Blood Service
Customer service (Former Employee) –  19 Grenfell street, adelaide 500025 July 2015
Mostly taking inbound and outbound calls at the centre mainly to book appointments and/or answer questions which i found really rewarding.
Pros
Job security
Cons
working in a confined call centre
Youthful workplace culture with loads of training
Tele-Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Adelaide ARCBS25 April 2015
The call centre at ARCBS was newly founded about a year before I started work there. Since then the call centre has doubled it's size and workforce as well as upgrading the facilities.
Pros
Youthful and fun
Cons
Limited workplace benefits
Rewarding
Each day was different and varied it involved managing a team of Customer Service Officers, Complaints Management, Customer Relationship Building and Sales Based Calls.
Customer Service is something I am very experienced in but this role opened me up to a different form of Complaint Management and Customer Relationship Building.
Management and co-workers were very supportive and promoted a team environment with open door policies.
The hardest part of the job was learning all about the Medical Industry which I was foreign to initially. The most enjoyable part was building strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Knowing what you were doing made a difference in peoples lives, this is something I take with me in all my roles in one form or another.
Pros
The Staff
Cons
Nil

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Australian Red Cross Lifeblood. Our community is ready to answer.

The Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Reviews by Location