The Australian Red Cross Lifeblood

The Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Management reviews

Has the potential to be a fantastic place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA11 October 2019
The management culture is toxic and bullying in nature and due to being a National company sites are isolated and vulnerable to the poor management structure
Whistle blowers are pushed out the door and policy is not adhered to or respected
I was warned about the culture prior to starting and didn’t realise how bad it would be! All the good staff leave or are pushed out the door
Pros
Cons
Toxic culture in middle management
Target focused
Donor Services Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne16 May 2019
It is rewarding working for the Blood Service as you know you're helping to save lives, however it is very targets and numbers based. There is more focus why we didn't meet our blood target for the day, instead of looking at staffing and seeing that the centre was incredibly short staffed and run off their feet and couldn't collect to the target. There is no regard for staff, it is constantly short staffed and management continue to increase targets and don't understand why sick leave is so high and why a lot of people resign in their first year.
Work/life balance can be really difficult as all centres are now open 7 days and it can be hard to get a roster in which you have 2 days off next to each other. You work evenings, early mornings and weekends.

The people you work with are usually really lovely and helpful, but management are dreadful.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
upper management, stronger focus on targets rather than wellbeing of staff
Bullying Culture from the top
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney, AU2 December 2018
Steer clear from working for this organisation. Unless you are willing to bully and harass your team and employees, you will be bullied and harassed yourself.
The organisation could use a major shake-up. A few whistleblowers would take the whole thing down.
Australia should be terrified that this organisation has such a hold over the blood supply, it's only a matter of time before more deaths occur because of the bad practices.
Pros
Recognised organisation; Decent coworkers
Cons
Bullying, overworked
picked up donors from various buisneses in the CBD and Outer Suburbs
Shuttle Bus driver (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne VIC16 July 2018
I started at various times of the day picking up groups of blood donors in the CBD and outer suburban areas of Melbourne and transporting them to the closest donor centres and using the skills I have learnt over the years to relax the new donors before they got to the donor centre. As I was out of the office most of the time I found the management were always inclusive in letting me know what was going on and making sure I was included in any after hours activities. The culture was great and I enjoyed every minute I worked there and was disappointed the shuttle Program was ending. As I was dealing with many various personalities and work place cultures it further enhanced my customer skills. I didn't find any part of the job hard although it was a challenge to find the best route around the various road works and traffic jams.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and working with the other staff at the Blood Bank.
Pros
working with the team and the occasional night out
Cons
the money
Efficient and friendly workplace
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD13 July 2018
- I learned many things at the blood service, what blood types there are, who can/cannot donate and why.
- Management team are very friendly and try to make their crew as happy as possible in the work place
- All staff are friendly and happy with one another
- The hardest part of the job is making sure all donors are okay after donating
- The most enjoyable part is seeing how happy donors are after donating and knowing that your job is a great cause.
Stressful on the donor floor every shift
Donor services (Former Employee) –  Victoria7 February 2018
Pressured every shift to meet key performance indicators. Monitored regarding performance of time to couch, how many assessments attended, % of successful venepuncture, % of successful collections, meeting targets for collection.
No thanks for working under stress everyday. No cover for sick leave, or annual leave. Same amount of collections targeted with skeleton staff as full staff. Management constantly pushing for more collections in a quicker time frame, more collections = more plasma to CSL.
Pros
Working with lovely donors
Cons
Short staffed, constant pressure, to meet more and more collections, Little acknowledgment of working under pressure every day.
Helpful and friedly workplace environment
Current Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ballarat VIC30 November 2015
Staff and management are helpful an supportive.

Assisting donors during and after blood and plasma donation.

I don't find any part hard. However, working as an EEN in aged care can be emotionally and physically challenging, but also very rewarding.

I enjoy knowing that I am helping a vital service when not working elsewhere.
Pros
I enjoy knowing that I am helping a vital service when not working elsewhere.
Cons
No cons as yet
Rewarding
Each day was different and varied it involved managing a team of Customer Service Officers, Complaints Management, Customer Relationship Building and Sales Based Calls.
Customer Service is something I am very experienced in but this role opened me up to a different form of Complaint Management and Customer Relationship Building.
Management and co-workers were very supportive and promoted a team environment with open door policies.
The hardest part of the job was learning all about the Medical Industry which I was foreign to initially. The most enjoyable part was building strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Knowing what you were doing made a difference in peoples lives, this is something I take with me in all my roles in one form or another.
Pros
The Staff
Cons
Nil