The Cotton On Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 430 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,341 reviews

Good pay but unstable hours

I worked in an outlet store and it was a great first introduction to fashion retail!The KPIs are super unrealistic, and if you aren’t comfortable pushing sales, it probably won’t be fun for you at all.Everyone is casual besides the managers and this makes hours and pay really unreliable. Some weeks you could work five shifts, and the next week only one. It makes keeping up a social life hard because you often don’t have much disposable income and most days I wasn’t working I tried to keep clear in the possibility I might get called in. Like even if I had just worked six days in a row, I would still try to keep the following day free because what if the week after I only got one shift? The pay itself is really good though, and you get penalty rates as well.If you are hired as a Christmas casual, do not expect to be kept on afterwards. They only hire Christmas casuals because they need all team members in store to work Boxing Day, in addition to extra staff they’re able to call in during the Christmas week itself based on sales. You’re likely to get one shift a week until Christmas, but you’ll probably be confused each time you work because of how little time you spend in the store. But this is an ideal job over Christmas if you’re looking for a second job or are a teenager with little financial needs.I guess it’s true for most fashion retail, but the girls my store personally hired were all skinny, white Instagram-model types who always wore revealing clothes like yoga pants and crop tops to work everyday. It’s definitely not their or management’s fault, but I always -

Pros

Brilliant pay and penalty rates, fun work environment

Cons

Unreliable hours, overstaffed

Ok

Overall good, great for students! Hours are unstable but stabilise if your kept after Christmas. Good work cultures, kpis can be somewhat unrealistic. If you do well you get more hours.

Love everything about the job with the cotton on group

Amazing and fun experience, I love every second of working for the cotton on group and the work environment is so welcoming and supportive! Everyone works so well together.

Best company I've ever worked for

Hands down Cotton On Kids is the best job I've ever had. The Cotton On Group are an amazing company that honestly cares about their team, the customers and the wider community.

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Competitive and mean culture, alright pay, huge turnover rate.

My high up manager was lovely, but i found the work environment to be fairly toxic.A typical day would be greeting customers, LOTS of folding and keeping your area neat and tidy. Most of the managers are in their early 20s so i guess maybe thats why the culture seemed off, or because they know the turnover rate is high so they talk to and treat their Xmas casuals as disposable. Most of the employees had a very weird energy and it felt extremely cliquey, if you weren't overtly friendly to popular workers you'd be ignored and won't advance in your career, or definitely let go after the Xmas period.The hardest part of the job is how extremely busy our particular store got as well as keeping up with how quickly tables/racks got destroyed by customers, most enjoyable part of the job was probably the perks (you get 50% off everything) and as an LGBT person i felt completely comfortable.

Pros

Staff discount, trendy clothes

Cons

Cliquey workplace culture, fast paced, high turnover rate.

Very busy yet exciting warehouse

Traffic management is very good, its just sometimes people doesnt care of their own risk. Even people do the right thing, some not because their too lazy to abide rules

Fast paced but enjoyable

I enjoyed my experience at Cotton On Kids, but my regional was not very supportive and I felt that my team deserved more. She is not there anymore, so it is probably better. I was offered great opportunities and I loved my team, head office is a wonderful place and the perks were great. I worked incredibly hard for those perks, but it was a fun place with good product!

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Poor upper management, not enough hours for staff

Really depends on your management

Work is not hard and once you have the hang of it it isn't difficult at all, very kpi focused and can be obsessive over people shop-lifting, you have to act like you care about those things to stay in the role. I had an excellent store manager who I felt was fair and gave shifts out accordingly, but the management changes all the time. New store manager picks favourites and allocates shifts based on that.

Pros

50% discount, decent pay

Cons

management

Not enough hours

Casual employment with a good hourly wage and staff discount. However, not enough hours were available for shift allocation. 3 hour shifts is the norm, with too many staff members to allocate shifts too. I am confused as to why they were hiring when there were more workers available to work then there were more shifts to be allocated. Staff and management were nice and easy to talk to. However, I made my decision to leave as even for a casual worker I cannot solely survive on 1-2 3 hour shifts a week.

Pros

staff discount

Cons

not enough hours

Laid back, positive work space.

Enjoyed working every shift, customers were friendly and work wasn't too difficult. Managers were understanding, reasonable and polite. I really liked working here made me happy.

Pros

Great discount 50 percent off

Cons

Pretty standard working environment in retail

A nice atmosphere in stores and with the teams, everyone is friendly and helpful. Although it could get gossipy and managment can play favourites but overall pretty good. The task expectations are beyond though and time frames unrealistic. Overtime was expected from management and full time positions rarely opened up (in WA) so not many chances for progression. They make the day to day fun and put a big emphasis on having fun on the job. Company is very "reactive" and seems alot more disorganised since covid happened, wihch made it frustrating in such an unsure time.

Pros

Long lunch breaks, good discounts and good people!

Cons

Expectations of management and take advantage of good workers

Chill and relaxing place to work at

Staff were amazing. It was like working with your mates. I was only a Christmas casual but I would definitely recommend working here. You pick up as you go and you’ll always have help. Overall it was a chill and fun place to work at. Only downside was that there wasn’t many shifts but it’s perfect when you have a second job.

Pros

Staff have 50% off

Cons

Not many shifts

Friendly hands-on learning and fast-paced environment

I had a really enjoyable experience during the busy Christmas season. During my employment and training (where you learn how they operate things and about the company), my team mates and team leaders were exceptionally friendly and understanding with me - they were pretty supportive and I felt welcomed pretty early on.

Pros

Discounts, breaks, friendly team mates, convenient work-life balance, supportive training

Cons

Sore legs and feet from busy days - reminder: get better shoes.

Mostly Friendly Atmosphere

Although they tended to play music too loud with inappropriate lyrics for the workplace. My overall experience with Cotton On was an enjoyable one. And I would go back and work there anytime!

Pros

Great Co-workers

Cons

Loud Inappropriate Music Played Over PA Speakers

3 years a casual in 2 stores, often hoping between stores to help out! This is what gave me more experience. Every time I had to go to a different store I learnt something new. Before I knew it I was ready for a management role! It was a great experience. Working with my team learning more and teaching what I knew to grow and create a great team! I had so much higher management support it was a great experience! I went back back to casual to expand my family.

Pros

Support so much support!

Cons

Breaking bad news to team members I built great relationships with

Amazinggggg

Best place I recommend working in because your working with the nicest people and the culture in that shop is just amazing and because I’m only casual Rn the pay is actually amazing

Pros

Casual pay is amazing, the people are great to work with and the manager is just absolutely amazing

Cons

Non

big work load and high customer volume suits someone who enjoys always being busy

open progressive company fast paced with fashion and decision making open and approachable management teams strong head office and dc support with a fun and supportive team culture

Pros

great discount for friends and family

Very friendly culture, unfortunate management.

I worked there for a Christmas period, and we had a manager for two days before she left and we were left understaffed and under-trained. Because of this I was given a very high paced environment and not many opportunities to learn things like register and store procedures. However, I did focus on customer service and did my absolute best to continue to provide quality service for our customers and keeping the store looking at the correct standard.

Was a good experience

Great people. However the managers are horrible at remembering shift changes and letting you know what they've changed. Had issues with my pay nearly every paycheck. But I would recommend it. They never keep Christmas Casuals though.

It's a fun and lively workplace

The atmosphere is usually relaxed and all the people are genuinely friendly and fun to work with and I enjoy working there. Management are also very nice and understanding and are great at their jobs.

Dont do it

Terrible company to be employed under. Management dont treat you human,just a number. Promises not adhered to. Staff try to stay positive but it's difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• The Cotton On Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?