The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

NO shifts
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  brisk11 December 2018
Worked as a Christmas casual and for three months worked four times, all three hour shifts. Staff was very friends but did not care about Christmas casuals, whom were all young and wanted to get a start in the workforce.
It is Ok
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD10 December 2018
Unless you are a manager, you may only get 6-10 hours a week. No job security, nor annual or sick leave.

Depending on what store you work at, it can be really boring and get low customers. You could work a 5hr shift and get no 10min break.

Expected to buy your own clothes to wear to work (Work suited clothes).

Some managers play favorites with staff, so don't expect many hours if you need more than 10 you may not get it.
Pros
discount
Cons
low hours
Mixed experiences
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brookside Centre QLD4 December 2018
As standard as any retail job. Casual roles are always deterred by younger (and inexperienced) management within the store who mostly do not have the experience to drive sales and encourage/develop a younger team.

Area managers are in high turnover generally because of ridiculously large responsibilities. If anything, this can be solved my limiting the amount of stores an area manager can supervise and would result in better performance, smoother business and happier (and better managed) retail staff.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Immaturity
Friendly environment
Retail Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC20 November 2018
The work quite repetitive, working in Factorie not very stressful job, manager are friendly, they trust you, always try her best to understand what we need
Pros
discount
Cons
short hours for casual
Good for first experience
Christmas Casual (Former Employee) –  Canning Vale WA18 November 2018
Cotton On is a good place to start work and learn about the workforce, however there was little to no training, (one induction day that taught me incorrect ways to fold things and didn't cover everything I should know) making my skills limited yet I was expected to know everything.

The job would have been a lot better and I would have been a much more reliable worker if I had proper training and support.
As expected a casual job in xmas times wasn't very flexible, which sucks but it's fair enough.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere in retail though, so this position helped me understand how it works.
Pros
Enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
long hours, not flexible, management, training issues
Great
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Central Coast NSW18 November 2018
Love my job, its that simple
busy, fast paced, a load of work to do in one day but the end result is worth it.
family cultured work environment
great company
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  sydney7 November 2018
This job has taught me a lot about caring about customers and their needs. Its a fast paced job especially during holidays. The managers constantly get moved to different stores so you get to meet different people and experience different types of management. Good work mates.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not enough shifts given
Fun working environment
Full Time Ladies (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 October 2018
Working full time at cotton on consists of being a leader towards the team members. On a day to day basis we process stock deliveries, visual merchandising, focus on standards and great customer service. We have great team members and management on board, always get the work done with team work. Hardest park of the job would definitely be dealing with tough customers but we always go above and beyond to give them that great customer service and give them what they want and need. Most enjoyable part of the job are the team members at cotton on. They're fun and comfortable to work with.
Pros
great team members
Cons
over staffed
Terrible company at every level of management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 September 2018
I have worked under two division brands within this company previously and I can say for certain it's the most disgustingly run organisation with a high turnover rate of employees from both a Managerial position and those who work as casuals.

They do not reward their employees or acknowledge them for their efforts when meeting or exceeding KPI/Sales targets and the constant VM (Visual Merchandise) updates to the stores is a complete hinderance.

People who say they've enjoyed their time working for this company are kidding themselves. Like most retail workplaces, there are PERSONALITIES and politics - and this overall COG brand is no exception.

You're guaranteed to:
- Not have genuine support by management (at various levels)
- They operate like a cult and treat casuals like dirt (favouritism with employees - an obvious example for shifts)
- The overall work vibe + environment is fake and demanding from an internal and external point of view

I highly discourage people from applying for Cotton On Group and any of their brand divisions.

Making note of their high turnover rate with staff - it's absolutely abysmal. People don't even last because it's unrewarding and pushy. Lack of consideration completely to support employees and their concerns.

If you're applying for a casual - good luck, shifts are dependent on either business needs, manager favouritism and generally its a bare minimum of 3 hour shifts for an entire week.

If you're a full-time Manager or Assistant M/2IC - the salary is laughable and a complete joke.

Don't rate it, its a fake faux culture
  more... that showcases happy and positive vibes although behind the scenes - it's actually a circus.  less
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Laughable shift hours and amount of shifts given, personalities, lower-upper management, VM updates, work culture
The co-workers were fun and easy to work with
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Wacol QLD5 September 2018
During my time at Cotton On DC I found the workers to be hard work, motivated people. They were also very easy to get on with. The training was exciting and I enjoyed it.
Pros
Free fruit, access to recreational activities during breaks
Cons
Working on my feet all day
So many perks working for this company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 September 2018
I worked part time as a sales assistant in one of the Cotton On group stores during this time. I had duties such as ordering, managing and taking out stock, displaying items of clothing, serving customers, dealing with any queries or complaints, advising customers on their purchases, helping with promotions and handling deliveries.
Ethical
senior casual (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 August 2018
Theyre very very kind and friendly however some alot of favorism. The pay is awesome. Dont care about workes as much as customers. Taught me how to work well under pressure
Enjoyable work-place with an awesome culture
Casual Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 August 2018
A great place to work as a casual assistant and ideal for someone who wants to start their career in Retail Management.
Working with mostly young and similar minded casuals, any day is an enjoyable day.
Having a strong workplace culture, Cotton On believes that each employee is a member of the Cotton On family and the strong family bond among all managers and casuals is something very unique to the cotton on group.
Most enjoyable part : Customer Interaction
Hardest part : Being an acting team leader in the store
Pros
salary
Cons
stressful
Great enviroment
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Liverpool NSW6 August 2018
I enjoy working at cotton on as I am able to work on my customer service skills and knowledge of our products each day. i enjoy the customers that cotton on attracts. There has been plenty of issues regarding being understaffed, and the stores (Ive worked at two stores and experienced this in both) do not give out enough hours to handle, process, and distribute stock onto the floor whilst still maintaining store cleanliness and strong customer orientation. the stock to employee/hours ratio are unbalanced, making it hard to stay on stop of workplace requirements. Other than that, a really great place to gain some retail experience
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Team
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 August 2018
There is always a great group of people to work with. Pretty fun and easy.
The company, however, can be quite hierarchical and the little people get left behind.
Communication is an issue as well.
Cotton On
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA1 August 2018
Cotton on had good hours, good staff. Didnt always get the right break. You can have a 10 minute break on 4 hours but not all stores let you. The staff discount is good
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Break
Enjoyable
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 July 2018
love working with clothes, however there can be times where customers become rude for anything, a lot learned from cotton on with promoting items that are not really as popular as others
Pros
discount
Cons
customers
fun work place
Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA18 July 2018
working at this company is much like a family, the training and experience from working here I have been able to take on to my future employers and excel further from there.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
first in first served mentality to job progression.
Awesome Christmas casual job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA6 July 2018
Great place to work as a Christmas casual. Received lots of hours and great discounts throughout the cotton on brand. Gets very hectic around Christmas time.
Pros
discount
Cons
on feet all day
Fun environment with amazing people to work for
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northland Shopping Centre VIC1 July 2018
I worked for the cotton on group only for a short period of time and I can truly say it's it the only company I feel at home with.The people really take care of you and you and the people you work with become your family. The system is really easy to pick up so no dramas there and bonus discounts!
Pros
50% accross the whole cotton on group for you and your family
Cons
sometimes the day can go slow if there are not many people shopping

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.