The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

Terrible company at every level of management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 September 2018
I have worked under two division brands within this company previously and I can say for certain it's the most disgustingly run organisation with a high turnover rate of employees from both a Managerial position and those who work as casuals.

They do not reward their employees or acknowledge them for their efforts when meeting or exceeding KPI/Sales targets and the constant VM (Visual Merchandise) updates to the stores is a complete hinderance.

People who say they've enjoyed their time working for this company are kidding themselves. Like most retail workplaces, there are PERSONALITIES and politics - and this overall COG brand is no exception.

You're guaranteed to:
- Not have genuine support by management (at various levels)
- They operate like a cult and treat casuals like dirt (favouritism with employees - an obvious example for shifts)
- The overall work vibe + environment is fake and demanding from an internal and external point of view

I highly discourage people from applying for Cotton On Group and any of their brand divisions.

Making note of their high turnover rate with staff - it's absolutely abysmal. People don't even last because it's unrewarding and pushy. Lack of consideration completely to support employees and their concerns.

If you're applying for a casual - good luck, shifts are dependent on either business needs, manager favouritism and generally its a bare minimum of 3 hour shifts for an entire week.

If you're a full-time Manager or Assistant M/2IC - the salary is laughable and a complete joke.

Don't rate it, its a fake faux culture
  more... that showcases happy and positive vibes although behind the scenes - it's actually a circus.  less
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Laughable shift hours and amount of shifts given, personalities, lower-upper management, VM updates, work culture
The co-workers were fun and easy to work with
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Wacol QLD5 September 2018
During my time at Cotton On DC I found the workers to be hard work, motivated people. They were also very easy to get on with. The training was exciting and I enjoyed it.
Pros
Free fruit, access to recreational activities during breaks
Cons
Working on my feet all day
So many perks working for this company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 September 2018
I worked part time as a sales assistant in one of the Cotton On group stores during this time. I had duties such as ordering, managing and taking out stock, displaying items of clothing, serving customers, dealing with any queries or complaints, advising customers on their purchases, helping with promotions and handling deliveries.
Ethical
senior casual (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 August 2018
Theyre very very kind and friendly however some alot of favorism. The pay is awesome. Dont care about workes as much as customers. Taught me how to work well under pressure
Great enviroment
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Liverpool NSW6 August 2018
I enjoy working at cotton on as I am able to work on my customer service skills and knowledge of our products each day. i enjoy the customers that cotton on attracts. There has been plenty of issues regarding being understaffed, and the stores (Ive worked at two stores and experienced this in both) do not give out enough hours to handle, process, and distribute stock onto the floor whilst still maintaining store cleanliness and strong customer orientation. the stock to employee/hours ratio are unbalanced, making it hard to stay on stop of workplace requirements. Other than that, a really great place to gain some retail experience
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Not enough hours
Great Team
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 August 2018
There is always a great group of people to work with. Pretty fun and easy.
The company, however, can be quite hierarchical and the little people get left behind.
Communication is an issue as well.
Cotton On
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joondalup WA1 August 2018
Cotton on had good hours, good staff. Didnt always get the right break. You can have a 10 minute break on 4 hours but not all stores let you. The staff discount is good
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Break
Enjoyable
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 July 2018
love working with clothes, however there can be times where customers become rude for anything, a lot learned from cotton on with promoting items that are not really as popular as others
Pros
discount
Cons
customers
fun work place
Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Perth WA18 July 2018
working at this company is much like a family, the training and experience from working here I have been able to take on to my future employers and excel further from there.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
first in first served mentality to job progression.
Awesome Christmas casual job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA6 July 2018
Great place to work as a Christmas casual. Received lots of hours and great discounts throughout the cotton on brand. Gets very hectic around Christmas time.
Pros
discount
Cons
on feet all day
Fun environment with amazing people to work for
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northland Shopping Centre VIC1 July 2018
I worked for the cotton on group only for a short period of time and I can truly say it's it the only company I feel at home with.The people really take care of you and you and the people you work with become your family. The system is really easy to pick up so no dramas there and bonus discounts!
Pros
50% accross the whole cotton on group for you and your family
Cons
sometimes the day can go slow if there are not many people shopping
very fast paced working environment
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 June 2018
the management was very poor and a typical day at work would be very fast paced and working towards reaching the day's set KPIs. It was an overall good learning experience.
Pros
50% off staff discount across brands
Cons
long hours and poor management
Amazing people and perks, awful management and little career advancement
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Australia9 June 2018
The culture is incredible and you typically make great friends (and the 50% discount is good), but i've been there for 2 years and i'm still in the same position as I was. Upper management doesn't listen and nothing is ever good enough. You probably will never move up. A lot of clique-y behaviour.
Pros
Discounts are neat
Cons
Soul draining
Fast-paced, busy work place.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia31 May 2018
As a manager for Typo, a stationary store under the Cotton On Group umbrella, I learnt much about running a store, personnel management, visual merchandising, loss prevention and handling sensitive information and moneys. Always fast paced, Typo and Cotton On challenged all who work there including myself to work as hard as we could and attain our goals.
Pros
Great team environment, great discounts.
Cons
Lack of breaks, highly demanding.
Good welfare, Good security well-being
Pick Packer (Current Employee) –  Lara VIC14 May 2018
Nice Boss. Have free bread and stuff for toast. good friends.Have coffee tea milk sugar. Free fruits. Free water. Have table tennis and basketball. Have food truck come 2 day a week.
Pros
Free lunch and drink on special day
Cons
long hour good pay
Fun but demanding
Casual Team Member (Current Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD9 May 2018
The Cotton On Group have amazing products and try to foster a great work environment but they are very sales orientated to their detriment. They expect amazing KPIs all the time and neglect the staff member at times.
Pros
Foster a fun work culture
Cons
Sales orientated to the detriment of their staff
Fun and bubble workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Typo Glebe NSW15 April 2018
I loved working for the Cotton On Group! My store at Typo in Glebe was really fun during Christmas time. Through this role I was taught a lot of independence such as opening and closing the store by myself, meeting and exceeding sales targets and banking.
terrible management/culture
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT12 April 2018
-poor management that is ill trained and that degrades staff below them
-no work/life balance
-not enough hours, excess casual employment
-not enough permanent staff
Great place to work! Really enjoyed being part of the set up of a completely new store
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth Central Business District WA5 April 2018
I was disappointed with the way in which I found out I would not be continuing as a casual because I enjoyed the work environment when I was there. I feel as though the management that was there at the time was extremely unprofessional which was frustrating but the culture of the store was still strong due to the other permanent staff present in the store.
Fun workmates, bad management
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 April 2018
Pretty casual average retail job - not much room for job advancement. Good university casual job, decent pay but low hours. Strict management - high expectations with low acknowledgements.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Short hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.