The Cotton On Group

Australia476 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 476 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,504 reviews

Productive and sometimes difficult

Working at cotton on can sometimes be demanding as they require a certain standers of (kpis)Management will pressure you and push you to reach certain goals even if customers don't was to purchase anything extra. It is a fun environment and i have made Alot of friends but the kpi standard can be very hard to reach

Productive and fun workplace

Productive and fun workplace. Great team and awesome 50% benefits. Opportunity to go into VM, transfer to other stores and liaise with head office team. Overall enjoyable and easy- going workplace with great people.

Pros

Long breaks and great benefits

Cons

Pressure on workload

Decent

great work life and culture. Learned easily as the job went on. rush hours were sometimes difficult. Management was good too, flexible hours able to work at different stores.

Pros

good atmosphere

Cons

angry customers

boring

boring as, worked during coronavirus was hectic unorganised didn't know who i could talk to about hours or anything might not be like that now. dont want to do that job again but maybe something else there.

Fun

Fun encouraging teamsgood training program, inspiring managersflexible shiftsStaff benefits positive culture and working atmosphereperformance management through huddle

Fun place to work

I worked at Cotton On for nearly 3 years. As a casual employee it was a very relaxed environment. There is quite a lot of pressure to achieve KPIs but other than that it's quite an easy job. Management could've been better as many of us felt they didn't understand what it was like to work on the shop floor at all different times, not just peak. I didn't experience much job advancement opportunities but many of my coworkers did, it just depends on how much the managers like you, not about your skills. 90% of my coworkers were lovely people and great to work with, a great sense of a team.

Beneficial but toxic work environment

Generous 50% staff discount however little to no training and expect you to know how to do everything. Half of the time I’m at the front and embarrass myself because no one has trained me properly. Stressful environment, pushes staff to sell more to people and guilt when not enough made. I transferred to a store more closer to me and I was struggling to adjust so I would acquire some help to settle in, however they treat me like someone who isn’t capable instead of giving me the support when I need it. Depending where you work staff are passive aggressive, will act nice and will likely talk behind your back. Not to mention the lack of diversity of staff

It’s a great place

i love working here. I love the culture and the way that the store is set out. Overall, I would recommend working here

Pros

Discount

Cons

Amazing first retail job, super difficult to progress past casual

I met the most incredible group of people while working for cotton on. While management isn’t the best I couldn’t recommend this job more for someone looking for a first retail job. If you have worked in retail before there are definitely better places to work. I worked at cotton on for 1.5 years and they refused to teach me to open, close , cash up or manage because I was a casual. With such a large group working for the store they don’t need to teach everyone how to do everything and it can be extremely difficult to progress. While saying this you learn many important skills and I loved this job.

management ruins the whole experience

although you can't know beforehand, do not work here if your area managers are rude. you don't see too much of them, but they have large impacts on your hours, how hard your manager goes on you and your KPI's and goals. the brisbane are managers are absolutely the worst people i have EVER worked for. they're absolutely the rudest, most uptight people.the people you work with in-store are lovely, day-to-day tasks are relatively easy, but the stress and pressure are simply not worth it if you're looking to work here long-term.in saying that, for a casual high school/uni job that you plan to keep for a few months, the pay/discount is good and hours are sometimes decent depending on if you can play favoritism.

Don't Waste Your Time

It would appear to be nice to work for Cotton On but management including HR isn't great and unprofessional. No career advancement and the people who become managers in individual stores are often undeserved or bad at their jobs. They hire lazy incompetent people because the turnover rate of so high and they need staff so they hire just about anyone. Everyone is so unfriendly even to customers and there is a lot of favouritsm including from the "area managers".

Pros

50% discounts on clothes

Cons

everything else

The best place to work at IF you have the right management.

I’ve been at Cotton on for 3 years and it has been the best job I’ve had retail wise, I’ve made amazing friendships, learnt new things to take me to a senior role if I’m wanting aswell but I had horrible management. It was all favortism, a completely toxic workplace and I was treated horribly, continuously picked on by my 2IC and not treated well at all by my manager, all the favorites got good hours and if I was lucky I got a 5 hour shift a week OR even Fortnight after Christmas peak while everyone was still getting full hour days or multiple 5 hour shifts a week. My managers continuously made me feel as if my work wasn’t good enough, I never got recognition for the good I did, yet all the new people and favorites were treated like absolute gold. Continuously got spoken badly about to other coworkers by my manager and 2IC to the point where I decided to leave because they made me hate my job, made me feel as though I had to walk on eggshells, continuously got anxiety before my shift and would continuously get nit picked on about anything they possibly could find to nit pick me for. It’s a good work environment IF you have the right managers that don’t play favorites, know how to properly manage, treat everyone fairly, give everyone a chance to grow, actually care about the well-being and life of their staff and not just if they’re able to work. I’ve worked at amazing Cotton on stores before where I never ran into this problem of being treated horribly and feeling like an outsider but there are some cotton ons that are like this, the good thing is you can always just transfer -

Pros

Friendships, learning how to progress in your role, discount.

Cons

Toxic management, favortism, treated horribly.

Good first retail job

It was my first retail job and it was a great experience getting to know the industry however, depending on where your store is it can be pretty boring and slow. especially on weekdays. also shifts are pretty short ranging from 3-5hrs most of the time and managers will roster you on the closing shift alone without any support.

Fast paced, competitive, not much support

Made some of my closest mates during my 4yrs at COG, even met my partner here; however management pressure/ competitiveness and a lack of support from upper management really took its toll. For a company that promotes being people first, they are far from it; they are completely money driven in all aspects of the company. Head office mostly supports larger stores (ie Chadstone, Bourke st), smaller stores really struggle with training and have a high worker turnover due to poor recruitment. Pressure to meet sales targets starts at the top and filters down through every level; casuals often are rostered based on sales figures alone, rather than availability or reliability. Career progression is very limited without the support of state leaders/ head office team workers to get you a foot in the door. Seen a lot of highly experienced managers get overlooked for promotions where the position went to someone with little to no experience/ training. I loved a lot of my time at COG but the best thing I’ve done for my career is leave.

Pros

50% off discount for myself and friends/ family

Cons

Poor work culture, management, training and team member retention

Good first job

- decent pay- fairly high paced- how good the work will be depends on whos managing- can be very understaffed at time and hard to rely on shift covers

Pros

good pay and flexible hours

Cons

understaffed

Amazing support

Amazing support with upper management, and ability to transfer from other brands is a plus Discount Kpis have high benchmark but if your willing to put in the work there’s always recognition

An amazing place to work with the best staff.

Every shift was unique and there was never a dull moment. The managers were all really friendly and eager to teach. The majority of shifts are spent maintaining store appearance, which is a lot of fun, and serving at the registers. Most customers were super friendly too.

Pros

Great work environment and discounts across COG brands

Super fun workplace

Absolutely loved working at typo, recommend it to anyone. Very supportive environment. The pay is actually really good and theres a lot of potentional for career growth

Pros

Friendly environment, good hours

Good Retail Job

Pays well, work life balance, uniform deals, management was good, made lifelong friends, there is long hours and stressful when by yourself. learnt key customer service skills

Great retail experience

I’d recommend getting a job at cotton on if you’re looking to seek work within retail as it’s a great starting point. The training and store environment was great, however sometimes management won’t give much notice for rostering shifts.

Staff to work with are lovely

staff are great. discount at all the brands are awesome. rosters are unreliable due to quieter periods throughout the year. very strict on KPIs and upselling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Cotton On Group with