The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

Little to No hours
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Narellan NSW29 April 2019
Worked at cotton on Narellan as a casual.
Only received 3 hours a week and lucky to get that some weeks, going without a shift for 2 weeks straight. Management cancelled shift 1 hour before I was required to work.
Manager was very heiarchical and treated casuals poorly. She failed to train me on the register, leaving me with no skills developed and other staff stressed as a result. The only “training” I received was how to fold clothes. Not even training, more common sense.
The only benefit was staff discount.
Extremely disappointed, left this store with no skills or experience for future employment opportunities.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Management and little to no hours
Fun workplace - lacks communication
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shellharbour NSW22 April 2019
Was told before I started my position was permanent then I became temporary for the Christmas peak. Whilst trying to figure out what was happening there was mixed communication amongst managers and eventually I was forgotten.
I worked really hard whilst employed and received a lot of praise from managers, but this was quickly tainted by what I can only imagine was other staff feeling threatened and then reporting my work to be lacking.
I know this review is a little negative but I did enjoy working there and would hope to do so in the future
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
If your not in with the “it” crowd forget about advancing
Loved Supre
Casual shop assistant for (Former Employee) –  Supre Spencer Street Outle18 April 2019
Supre at Spencer St was a fantastic place to have a first job. The fast paced nature of the store made it a productive learning environment and now I feel more ready to take on new jobs.
5 Star!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Maroochydore QLD14 April 2019
I love working with the cotton on group! Honestly just such great people and so supportive. Not to mention how great the foundation is and how much it actually helps.
Pros
50% off full priced items
productive and fun workplace
Christmas casual retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Epping VIC9 April 2019
Everyone around me was extremely friendly and willing to help me out if i needed it. I learned a lot about customer service and developed many skills such as communication and time-management.
Great if your fantastic at meeting KPI's
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 April 2019
COG's values that they show employees are more like buzz words rather than put into practice. Only valued as a Team Member if you meet there KPI's......
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No growth, no long term opportunity, treated as a number, fake facade!
Good for first-time workers or Part-time
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC25 March 2019
Loved working for the company and admired their passion for their brand. Opportunities to learn many new things. Would recommend as a first job or part-time job for uni students. Management can be very biased, probably the only negative.
It was amazing
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warringah Mall NSW23 March 2019
I'm so sad I couldn't stay any longer but I learnt a lot about sales through them, and i would definitely get a job with them again, the community is great.
Pros
great staff discount
Cons
sometimes late hours
Productive, fun and caring environment
Store developer intern (Current Employee) –  North Geelong VIC23 March 2019
It is a very good place to work, everyone in my department is kind and very welcoming, with a mixture of fun conversation and co-curricular activities during office hours there is excellent work productive and great time management.
Poor treatment of Casual team members from management
Senior Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC11 March 2019
For a company that prides itself with "people first" Cotton On does not display such a thing. Casuals are basically left to do everything on the shop floor while store managers get the credit for their hard work. There is absolutely no recognition for hard work in this company. Store managers and higher management look at team members like second class citizens basically always blaming them for everything that is wrong with the store and sales. Very KPI focused and team members are expected to reach unrealistic results at the end of the day otherwise they will cop some kind of pressuring or bullying from management which creates a stressful work environment. OHS regulations are never abided by, as a team member you are expected to haul boxes after boxes from the backroom on a daily basis with no help from anyone.
Pros
50% off discount across the Cotton On Group brands
Cons
No recognition whatsoever of great work from management.
People that work there are awesome
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD5 March 2019
A fun environment to be in hard work has its up and down days but what job doesn’t learnt a lot about working in teams as well as an individual.

Learn to manage a team, how to approach a situation or task.
Pros
Free lunches every first Friday of the month
Cons
Some days lack of communication from management
Average
Senior Casual (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 March 2019
I was with them for quite a while. Found that it was really difficult to communicate with managers and regionals without backlash. Everything was too personal.
Fun place to work with great discount
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Launceston TAS2 March 2019
I started as a Christmas casual and ended up staying on as a permanent casual, the work itself is easy, once you learn how to use the computer, it’s serve customers, meet targets, keep the store clean and unpack stock really. With the bonus of good music to listen to while you work.

Hours are a bit sporadic for casuals, I went from about 10 a week in the beginning to about 17 for almost a year then without warning back to 3. It makes it hard when you give your all to a job and then are unable to survive and pay bills but I guess that’s the nature of most casual jobs.
Pros
Great discount. Fun work vibe.
Cons
Sporadic hours. Company seems to cut shifts and over work others to save money.
Fun and relaxed work place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ryde NSW27 February 2019
A typical day consists of serving customers, running clothes from the fitting rooms, putting out stock and attending to customers. However shifts are usually quite short.
Pros
Cool back room, 50% off products
Cons
No hours
Fun Workplace
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC25 February 2019
Learnt proper work life balance. Great group of Management eager to help. left Cotton On due to amount of travel to an from work

Travel was the hardest part. Most enjoyable was the ability to express yourself and knowing your opinion counted.
Pros
Cons
Travel
Bad Management but good benefit
Senior Casual (Current Employee) –  QLD23 February 2019
Worked here for over 12 months and, during this time a family member passed away and management expected me to continue with work during the planing of the funeral. I was only working as a casual at the time so I took some time off and management was not happy that I had and when I returned to work the environment from higher management was very hostile. When we went into the Christmas period, the new juniors were not trained properly and were expected to perform at the same level as senior staff and both junior and senior staff were reprimanded for the lack of training.
Pros
Cotton On Dicount
Cons
Poor management, Hostility, Under payment, Lack of Training
productive and fun work environment
CASUAL RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Melton VIC20 February 2019
I learned key skills, like customer service and how to approach customers. it was a very fun environment and was quite a fast pace at times. The culture was nice, and I never felt like was judged or wasn't doing a good job
Pros
staff discount
Cons
pay wasn't great
maybe
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs VIC19 February 2019
Great company! Great place to work and get experience. Don't expect to get more than 1 shift a week unless you have another job ( which most of the team have second jobs. ) If you want to work here have a second job at hand, I didn't think id need a second job as I was getting 4 shifts a week including weekends but now new manager and more team members means 1 to 0 shifts a week for me.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
to many team members not enough hours.
Productive wokr place
RETAIL CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Orange NSW13 February 2019
Cotton on was a fun and enjoyable place to work, it feels as though you are part of a famiky with yout team members. Cotton on is an amazing business!!
BEST discount- very snobby environment!
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Epping10 February 2019
Very good for training and opening up to other retail brands.

Hardest part of the job was the addition of WAPS and maintaining the ratios- does it really matter all that much?
Pros
50% discount on all brands for friends and family with no restriction, 75% off at supre for supre workers (specific times of the year), strong management teams at mega stores
Cons
Long hours, very b*&chy environment, bad management in small stores, little hours in mega stores

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.