The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews

Amazing people and perks, awful management and little career advancement
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Australia9 June 2018
The culture is incredible and you typically make great friends (and the 50% discount is good), but i've been there for 2 years and i'm still in the same position as I was. Upper management doesn't listen and nothing is ever good enough. You probably will never move up. A lot of clique-y behaviour.
Pros
Discounts are neat
Cons
Soul draining
Fast-paced, busy work place.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sydney, Australia31 May 2018
As a manager for Typo, a stationary store under the Cotton On Group umbrella, I learnt much about running a store, personnel management, visual merchandising, loss prevention and handling sensitive information and moneys. Always fast paced, Typo and Cotton On challenged all who work there including myself to work as hard as we could and attain our goals.
Pros
Great team environment, great discounts.
Cons
Lack of breaks, highly demanding.
Manipulative and poor management. Hours cut. Demanding.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Not comfortable saying.16 May 2018
Went into the job feeling it was going to be a positive and fun experience - turned out to be quite the opposite. Concerns I voiced were scrutinised and questioned, KPI-reliant performance was extremely demanding on all staff, which impacted our confidence and worth in the store, having shifts cut due to petty behaviour from management and because they kept hiring new staff when we didn’t need any. I used to work every day with good hours, which decreased to 1 or 2 short shifts per week. I feel as if it is a bullying environment where people aren’t put first. Really disappointed.
Pros
Met some good long-term friends. Pay is great.
Cons
Bully-culture. Breach of confidentiality. Poor management. Huge staff turnover.
Good welfare, Good security well-being
Pick Packer (Current Employee) –  Lara VIC14 May 2018
Nice Boss. Have free bread and stuff for toast. good friends.Have coffee tea milk sugar. Free fruits. Free water. Have table tennis and basketball. Have food truck come 2 day a week.
Pros
Free lunch and drink on special day
Cons
long hour good pay
Fun but demanding
Casual Team Member (Current Employee) –  Rockhampton QLD9 May 2018
The Cotton On Group have amazing products and try to foster a great work environment but they are very sales orientated to their detriment. They expect amazing KPIs all the time and neglect the staff member at times.
Pros
Foster a fun work culture
Cons
Sales orientated to the detriment of their staff
Fun and bubble workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Typo Glebe NSW15 April 2018
I loved working for the Cotton On Group! My store at Typo in Glebe was really fun during Christmas time. Through this role I was taught a lot of independence such as opening and closing the store by myself, meeting and exceeding sales targets and banking.
terrible management/culture
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT12 April 2018
-poor management that is ill trained and that degrades staff below them
-no work/life balance
-not enough hours, excess casual employment
-not enough permanent staff
Great place to work! Really enjoyed being part of the set up of a completely new store
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth Central Business District WA5 April 2018
I was disappointed with the way in which I found out I would not be continuing as a casual because I enjoyed the work environment when I was there. I feel as though the management that was there at the time was extremely unprofessional which was frustrating but the culture of the store was still strong due to the other permanent staff present in the store.
Fun workmates, bad management
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 April 2018
Pretty casual average retail job - not much room for job advancement. Good university casual job, decent pay but low hours. Strict management - high expectations with low acknowledgements.
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Short hours
Amazing for casual!
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA31 March 2018
By far the best job ive had in terms of fun environment getting stuff done. Everyones encouraging and nice to be around. A lot of help and training. Great great people. Only thing they need is FULL TIME POSITIONS! othereise nothin to fault
Pros
People.
Cons
No full time options
Fun workplace and great working experience
Part-Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malaysia29 March 2018
Plenty of work to do to keep you on your toes. A fast-paced working environment and friendly team members. Able to learn or sharpen multiple skills while working here.
Great shop. Awful managment. Griffith nsw
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Griffith NsW27 March 2018
High staff turn over.
Preferential treatment of staff members....
Treatment of staff members rude and unprofessional.
Untidy and messy store room often left for other staff members to have to clean up.
Alot of gossip from manager.
Overall disheartening and negative experience.
Never to return again.
Pros
Lovely products.
Cons
Too many to list. Proceed cautiously at this particular store.
Fun place to work if you have a good team...
Field Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Rather not say21 March 2018
A poorly run business that is struggling to make sales and therefore struggling to look after their people.

They(head office management) talk a lot about "People First" but in reality its "Money First".

Over worked physically and mentally. Poor pay for the HUGE expectations.

Can definitely make it a fun place to work if you can manage your managers to get what you want.
Pros
great discount
Cons
unorganised business
Great company culture, fantastic people
Casual Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Karrinyup WA19 March 2018
I worked for Cotton On for over 4 years while studying.
Overall great vibe, lovely people to work with, always learning new things.
I was a casual which is great for flexible working hours, but not so good if you needed a certain amount of hours & income.
I was given a lot of responsibility, trained how to open & close the store, run shifts managing other staff and eventually given the opportunity to manage my own store.
The management are very friendly and supportive, everyone works really hard.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unstable hours as casual
Such a great workplace
Sales Assisstant (Current Employee) –  West Perth WA19 March 2018
Everyone there is so lovely and so great to work with. The managers are so great, and allow you to be flexible with hours. Unfortunately there are many hours available so this is a good job to have while your studying but probably not good if you need full time hours.
okish
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woden ACT14 March 2018
This job would have been a lot better if management were more organised, If i received more training than I did, If staff were nicer and if I got paid more than $14 PH.
Fun environment and benefits to the workers
Retail Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waurn Ponds VIC12 March 2018
A typical day of work is customer service and styling followed by constant determination to complete daily budgets. I've learnt a lot of Merchandising and management skills as i enjoy merchandising.
Pros
Generous Discounts
Cons
Not much support
Good place to work, not enough hours
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Clarkson9 March 2018
I worked for Cotton On In Clarkson Perth WA
I found the management to be helpful and informative.
I spent my time mostly folding and hanging items, and helping customers. The hardest part of the job for me was the music was too loud and I had difficulty hearing instructions in some areas of the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the customers, 99% of whom were lovely.
happy job.
Pros
good place to work, & discount
Cons
Not enough hours
fun place
Christmas Casual Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA5 March 2018
a typical day at work was very fast paced but enjoyable, I was supported well both by my team and other managers. I was able to build on my customer service knowledge and it made me fall in love with retail.
Fun and friendly environment to work in
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC21 February 2018
The employees working there were all very friendly and easy to get along with making work seem much more fun and helps time go by quickly. Nice work environment to be surrounded in.
Pros
long breaks, great employees
Cons
gets busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.