The Cotton On Group

The Cotton On Group Employee Reviews in Brisbane QLD

Brisbane QLD19 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 19 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,523 reviews

management ruins the whole experience

although you can't know beforehand, do not work here if your area managers are rude. you don't see too much of them, but they have large impacts on your hours, how hard your manager goes on you and your KPI's and goals. the brisbane are managers are absolutely the worst people i have EVER worked for. they're absolutely the rudest, most uptight people.the people you work with in-store are lovely, day-to-day tasks are relatively easy, but the stress and pressure are simply not worth it if you're looking to work here long-term.in saying that, for a casual high school/uni job that you plan to keep for a few months, the pay/discount is good and hours are sometimes decent depending on if you can play favoritism.

An amazing place to work with the best staff.

Every shift was unique and there was never a dull moment. The managers were all really friendly and eager to teach. The majority of shifts are spent maintaining store appearance, which is a lot of fun, and serving at the registers. Most customers were super friendly too.

Pros

Great work environment and discounts across COG brands

The Cotton On Group insights

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energising work tasks
  • Support from manager

Fine if you need a uni job

I worked at COG for a handful of years. I enjoy customer service roles and fashion retail and I did enjoy this job for a good couple of years. It's ideally perfect for someone studying in my opinion due to hrs, flexibility and the discount. However, here are some basic facts: 1) The management was below average (and we'd had a few!) and would pit us against each other by choosing obvious favorites. Ego's would form and people would become bossy, etc. All for hrs. Our store was a VERY toxic workplace and I've heard the same from other stores. Myself and quite seriously everyone I worked with has stories of us going home in tear and often at work too. 2) It isn't fair. You don' get hrs based off your skills or availability, it's straight up favoritism. 3) The targets and KPI'S are usually very un-reachable and the pressure is REAL. I do feel bad for store managers here, the pressure does come from above them - but the way it was handled was always shocking. The day to day tasks though, are not tough. Greet customers, chat, fold, steam, hang, scan. 4) You will never get promoted, no matter what. Trust me. If one does, they stay in middle mgmt for years and drop out of uni. 5) The other casuals are amazing. I have made lifelong friends. I am so grateful for the job for bringing me that. 6) COG pay fairly and the discount is great. This is perfect if you need 10-15 hrs a week and have other things on your horizon and can take on or ignore the bitchiness. 7) There were weeks when I had 4 hrs and others had easily 30 for no reason other than favoritism. No joke. I reckon -

Was not the best experience for me

I found the staff to be extremely rude and judgemental, as well as some of the management. They were all quite snobby and not willing to let you make mistakes and learn from them. Although the discount was fun while it lasted, I would never put myself through that torment again.

Fun work environment with supportive team

Working at Cotton On was a great experience, the staff were very accommodating and friendly, and helped train me up to standard. My manager made sure to guide me through difficult tasks but gave me independence wherever they could.

Good for Christmas Casuals

I worked at Typo as an xmas casual and it was pretty fun and exciting, everyday was different and the discount was sweeeet (50% off). I think only one person out of maybe 13 was hired permanently after the contract though, so just keep that into consideration!

People that work there are awesome

A fun environment to be in hard work has its up and down days but what job doesn’t learnt a lot about working in teams as well as an individual. Learn to manage a team, how to approach a situation or task.

Pros

Free lunches every first Friday of the month

Cons

Some days lack of communication from management

Great teams, great discount, great pay. But terrible upper management.

Upper management have unrealistic expectations which they put onto managers, and then casuals, with very little support. Nothing is ever good enough, if you achieve the 6 or 7 targets, all you get is relief because you won't get in trouble. But if you don't achieve the KPIS, expect a phone call from the regional managers telling you to do better in a condescending tone, as well as shifts being cut with little notice. Favoritism plays a big role in shifts so beware. The only reason people don't quit sooner is because the other casuals are great people, and the discount and the pay is amazing.

Pros

Staff discount, pay, team

Cons

Treated replaceable

I grew up in Cotton On

I was young when I started as a Casual at CO - but have worked at 5 different locations over 8 years. I have worked hard and this has opened doors for me to grow in maturity, work ethic, co worker/management relations and I know I am one of those employees that keep the wheel turning instore. You can experience every motion every day - from fun to " had enough" But its all part of the learning

Pros

Can make some good friends

Cons

Work Life Balance is unrealistic at times

It is Ok

Unless you are a manager, you may only get 6-10 hours a week. No job security, nor annual or sick leave. Depending on what store you work at, it can be really boring and get low customers. You could work a 5hr shift and get no 10min break. Expected to buy your own clothes to wear to work (Work suited clothes). Some managers play favorites with staff, so don't expect many hours if you need more than 10 you may not get it.

Pros

discount

Cons

low hours

Has relaxation room

the workplace in general is a good place to work everyone department gets along with one another there is never too much of a work load put on person.

A mind challenge

While I had nothing against the job itself, was very easy and often a job that requires little training, unfortunately, communication, poor management and an overall toxic and clicky workplace made it less than desirable to work for.

Pros

staff discounts

Cons

bad communication, management and toxic workplace.

Fun workplace

Typo provides opportunities for career progress and creates a fun environment to work in. My only issues with Typo are the personal politics of management staff and a lack of communication between management and the casual staff.

Pros

Staff discount, friendly work environment.

Fun & different

When i was working here i was living in Australia at the time, i thought it was a good and enjoyable experience, i didn't have any trouble at all, the people i worked with were absolutely kind and caring about all workers. The job was quite mellowed out nothing hard and nothing easy it was just the perfect job.

Pros

40% Discounts On The Shop

Cons

Alot Of Thieves

fun, fast paced, had a workout/relaxing room.

Full on from the get go, always something new to learn, co-workers were awesome always down for a laugh, never a dull moment.

Pros

occasional free lunches for hard work

Cons

not enough hours

great environment and flexible roster

Great place to work. Supportive team environment. Great staff discount. Fun. Very flexible with rostered hours and work life balance. Hours could sometimes be longer. Management dont always offer staff internal promotion before bringing in someone from another store. Some management staff are inexperienced should probably not be in management. overall i love my job.

Pros

50% staff discount on CO CO Kids Rubi Supre Factory Typo CO Body

Cons

short shifts, few shifts, lack of internal promotion

Productive and fun environment

Working at this company has helped me improve my customer service skills. I have also gained some new friends and made a great improvement in my career. I have learned many different ways on how to sell the products within the store, I've learnt about the companies requirements and the goals we have to reach each working day and how to succeed in reaching them. Cotton On is a great place to work for but it does need a more productive managing system. The most enjoyable part about the job is working with customers and working with my team workers, there is not a blunt day, its always a fun and exciting environment. I really get along with my co-workers, we've all built a strong inside and outside relationship.

A fun place to work

Very fun place to work with awesome staff discount! Awesome products that make your working day fun!

no comment.

I did enjoy my job. Although I do think the expectations were ridiculously high in store, From budgets to getting daily tasks, getting everything done almost seemed impossible to achieve! Higher management weren't very pleasant either. It seems to me like their culture was "treat em mean keep em keen" and sadly a lot of Australian retail business's operate that way which is completely wrong! It just doesn't make employees very enthusiastic to come to work everyday when your not getting rewarded for the fantastic job you have been doing, every day it's picking at something new. Training was terrible and I learnt absolutely nothing because my trainer was as intelligent as a squirrel In store casuals were not trained properly as the store manager was just too lazy to properly train them. with all of the blood, sweat, stress and tears you put in the job, in the end the good money really isnt even worth it. and you'll never get promoted, just saying! With the right management I think cotton on group would have an amazing reputation. But sadly the company is just not living up to the company values in which they set so high fore themselves. Oh well, better luck next time CO.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Cotton On Group with