The Cotton On Group

Perth WA20 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,523 reviews

Fun place to work

I worked at Cotton On for nearly 3 years. As a casual employee it was a very relaxed environment. There is quite a lot of pressure to achieve KPIs but other than that it's quite an easy job. Management could've been better as many of us felt they didn't understand what it was like to work on the shop floor at all different times, not just peak. I didn't experience much job advancement opportunities but many of my coworkers did, it just depends on how much the managers like you, not about your skills. 90% of my coworkers were lovely people and great to work with, a great sense of a team.

Hideous vibes, stressed and worn out staff

Harrased by customers, SA'd there, management never lasted, bullying, gossip, extreme pressure from head office for already worn out management for kpi's

Pros

Discount, Other casuals are great

Cons

No continuity in shifts, pays not amazing, overstimulating, s assault and bullying reports ignored, management cant last past 6 months, no career opportunities if you dont suck up

The Cotton On Group insights

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

The best place to work at IF you have the right management.

I’ve been at Cotton on for 3 years and it has been the best job I’ve had retail wise, I’ve made amazing friendships, learnt new things to take me to a senior role if I’m wanting aswell but I had horrible management. It was all favortism, a completely toxic workplace and I was treated horribly, continuously picked on by my 2IC and not treated well at all by my manager, all the favorites got good hours and if I was lucky I got a 5 hour shift a week OR even Fortnight after Christmas peak while everyone was still getting full hour days or multiple 5 hour shifts a week. My managers continuously made me feel as if my work wasn’t good enough, I never got recognition for the good I did, yet all the new people and favorites were treated like absolute gold. Continuously got spoken badly about to other coworkers by my manager and 2IC to the point where I decided to leave because they made me hate my job, made me feel as though I had to walk on eggshells, continuously got anxiety before my shift and would continuously get nit picked on about anything they possibly could find to nit pick me for. It’s a good work environment IF you have the right managers that don’t play favorites, know how to properly manage, treat everyone fairly, give everyone a chance to grow, actually care about the well-being and life of their staff and not just if they’re able to work. I’ve worked at amazing Cotton on stores before where I never ran into this problem of being treated horribly and feeling like an outsider but there are some cotton ons that are like this, the good thing is you can always just transfer -

Pros

Friendships, learning how to progress in your role, discount.

Cons

Toxic management, favortism, treated horribly.

Not bad while studying but gets old

Better to work at a smaller store than a Mega it’s more friendly and less intense. Regional managers but lot of pressure on managers and some them will take it out in you. Can be very stressful to work during peak and they can go to extreme lengths and put you in risky situations to avoid people stealing things but refuse to get security at a busy mega city store.

productive but kpis are pushed

twas an okay place to work, nothing crazy lol. i had a good experience but would also never return. the management was alright but needed a lot of work.

Good but challenging workplace!

Working at Cotton On can be fun yet challenging. There is strong competition amongst stores and employees to meet KPI targets, which at times may be challenging or unreasonable to attain. A typical day involves vigorous engagement with customers, processing sales, cleaning and maintaining store presentation and stock - A never-ending heap of stock if you work in an outlet store. There is a lot of pressure from management to drive sales and KPIs as well as maintain an impeccable store presentation for surprise visits. Managers are under even more stress from upper management which trickles down to their employees.

Pros

The 50% off discount

Cons

Competitive and stressful workplace culture

Competitive and mean culture, alright pay, huge turnover rate.

My high up manager was lovely, but i found the work environment to be fairly toxic.A typical day would be greeting customers, LOTS of folding and keeping your area neat and tidy. Most of the managers are in their early 20s so i guess maybe thats why the culture seemed off, or because they know the turnover rate is high so they talk to and treat their Xmas casuals as disposable. Most of the employees had a very weird energy and it felt extremely cliquey, if you weren't overtly friendly to popular workers you'd be ignored and won't advance in your career, or definitely let go after the Xmas period.The hardest part of the job is how extremely busy our particular store got as well as keeping up with how quickly tables/racks got destroyed by customers, most enjoyable part of the job was probably the perks (you get 50% off everything) and as an LGBT person i felt completely comfortable.

Pros

Staff discount, trendy clothes

Cons

Cliquey workplace culture, fast paced, high turnover rate.

Really depends on your management

Work is not hard and once you have the hang of it it isn't difficult at all, very kpi focused and can be obsessive over people shop-lifting, you have to act like you care about those things to stay in the role. I had an excellent store manager who I felt was fair and gave shifts out accordingly, but the management changes all the time. New store manager picks favourites and allocates shifts based on that.

Pros

50% discount, decent pay

Cons

management

Pretty standard working environment in retail

A nice atmosphere in stores and with the teams, everyone is friendly and helpful. Although it could get gossipy and managment can play favourites but overall pretty good. The task expectations are beyond though and time frames unrealistic. Overtime was expected from management and full time positions rarely opened up (in WA) so not many chances for progression. They make the day to day fun and put a big emphasis on having fun on the job. Company is very "reactive" and seems alot more disorganised since covid happened, wihch made it frustrating in such an unsure time.

Pros

Long lunch breaks, good discounts and good people!

Cons

Expectations of management and take advantage of good workers

A fun and exciting place to work at .

Cotton On Group is a fun , busy place to work for . The staff and management were always friendly and helpful to work with . I highly recommend working for the cotton on group

not good

not enough training given and then being expected to know everything when barely given shifts, high expectations by co workers who are not hlpful and judgemental.

Productivity and Team members

Life working at Factorie is great, my team members are amazing people both during and outside of work, very friendly and supporting! The working environment is fun as well as productive. We all learn alot and at the same time enjoy working together as a team

Pros

discounts

Cons

not enough hours

fun work place

working at this company is much like a family, the training and experience from working here I have been able to take on to my future employers and excel further from there.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

first in first served mentality to job progression.

Fun workplace

I’ve learnt so much in the few months I’ve been here. Management group is really supportive and amazing with training. The teams are all beautiful and overall working here is FUN!!!

Pros

Meet beautiful people everyday

Cons

N/a

Amazing for casual!

By far the best job ive had in terms of fun environment getting stuff done. Everyones encouraging and nice to be around. A lot of help and training. Great great people. Only thing they need is FULL TIME POSITIONS! othereise nothin to fault

Pros

People.

Cons

No full time options

Fun and rewarding job

Working for the COG (Cotton on group) was the most fun at a job I have ever had. The teams in the brands are amazing and supportive, the rewards (discounts and other product rewards) are amazing, will definitely miss the discount.

Pros

DIscount

Cons

Inconsistant hours

really fun work environment

a young peoples clothing store with great music and clothes. Cotton on have a specific way they like every thing done and you receive ongoing training throughout your career. As a retail store the emphasis is on sales and helping customers. There is also stock coming in all the time to unpack and put away, cleaning at the end of the day and reports to do daily to management.

Pros

fun environment

Cons

on your feet all day

busy fitting rooms, overtime work

I recommend to come into the store you're applying for on a busy trade day and look at the fitting rooms, around the store etc. it is what it is, they have low prices, be prepared for the fast pace, multitasking and overtime, overtime, overtime(if you are a FT) which was a common ongoing practice across the stores.

Pros

clothes

Cons

overtime work

Fun place to work.

Hard work producing so many balloons on Saturday's, no time to rest. Was very exhausting. But nice people to work with. And very creative.

....

• Customer Relations • Supervision of staff on selected shifts • Counter Sales • Daily Banking & Cash Handling • General Store Duties

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Cotton On Group with