The Cotton On Group

Retail Sales Associate97 reviews
Australia97 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 97 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,523 reviews

Fun and relaxed placed to work at

Started as a Christmas casual and although it was busy it was still a fun relaxed placed to work with good pay on public holidays. Shifts were short though and not enough hours.

Productive and fun work-place. No job-security for Christmas Casuals

The job over-all was straightforward and (at times) fun. The interview process was a group interview, everyone introduced themselves and then we learnt about the companies values. I got hired in a Christmas Casual position. Everybody was very nice, especially management. However the culture is very social, a key aspect in keeping the job is keeping up with friendships internally and (at times) this also meant drama. Shifts started with a small meeting with the manager and other staff starting the same time as you. The manager would break down the targets for the day and you would be assigned your section. This was all very straight forward. Probably took everyone a week to get a smooth handle on all the roles. Very independent tasks, however being helpful is important. Hours were great, too. Typically worked 3-4 8 hour shifts a week over the Christmas period (November-January). No job security, especially if you don’t fit into the social culture of the job. Once February came around, lots of us were left with no work, or just (maybe) 1-2 shifts a week.

Pros

Relaxed environment, fast-paced but manageable, independent work, good hours, decent casual rates

Cons

No job security

The Cotton On Group insights

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

Productive and sometimes difficult

Working at cotton on can sometimes be demanding as they require a certain standers of (kpis)Management will pressure you and push you to reach certain goals even if customers don't was to purchase anything extra. It is a fun environment and i have made Alot of friends but the kpi standard can be very hard to reach

Productive and fun workplace

Productive and fun workplace. Great team and awesome 50% benefits. Opportunity to go into VM, transfer to other stores and liaise with head office team. Overall enjoyable and easy- going workplace with great people.

Pros

Long breaks and great benefits

Cons

Pressure on workload

Decent

great work life and culture. Learned easily as the job went on. rush hours were sometimes difficult. Management was good too, flexible hours able to work at different stores.

Pros

good atmosphere

Cons

angry customers

Fun place to work

I worked at Cotton On for nearly 3 years. As a casual employee it was a very relaxed environment. There is quite a lot of pressure to achieve KPIs but other than that it's quite an easy job. Management could've been better as many of us felt they didn't understand what it was like to work on the shop floor at all different times, not just peak. I didn't experience much job advancement opportunities but many of my coworkers did, it just depends on how much the managers like you, not about your skills. 90% of my coworkers were lovely people and great to work with, a great sense of a team.

Amazing first retail job, super difficult to progress past casual

I met the most incredible group of people while working for cotton on. While management isn’t the best I couldn’t recommend this job more for someone looking for a first retail job. If you have worked in retail before there are definitely better places to work. I worked at cotton on for 1.5 years and they refused to teach me to open, close , cash up or manage because I was a casual. With such a large group working for the store they don’t need to teach everyone how to do everything and it can be extremely difficult to progress. While saying this you learn many important skills and I loved this job.

management ruins the whole experience

although you can't know beforehand, do not work here if your area managers are rude. you don't see too much of them, but they have large impacts on your hours, how hard your manager goes on you and your KPI's and goals. the brisbane are managers are absolutely the worst people i have EVER worked for. they're absolutely the rudest, most uptight people.the people you work with in-store are lovely, day-to-day tasks are relatively easy, but the stress and pressure are simply not worth it if you're looking to work here long-term.in saying that, for a casual high school/uni job that you plan to keep for a few months, the pay/discount is good and hours are sometimes decent depending on if you can play favoritism.

Good first job

- decent pay- fairly high paced- how good the work will be depends on whos managing- can be very understaffed at time and hard to rely on shift covers

Pros

good pay and flexible hours

Cons

understaffed

Fun workplace, Poor management

I was a Christmas casual and they let me off at the end of my shift with no warning at all. I was a bit bummed as I ended up being jobless for a month or two since I had no notice to find another job I struggled with paying rent. Managers can’t handle constructive feedback, they let off two of my workmates for being honest. The team was overall a bunch of good people, just a shame a few of the managers aren’t as professional as they should be.

Alright workplace

There is sufficient training and staff members were alright. However, you find the work to become repetitive over time. Working as a Christmas casual seemed suitable as I don’t find this to be a job I’d enjoy in the long run but a great place to start if you want to get into retail work.

Fun for a first job, overall company values are poor and management at Broadbeach QLD is shocking

I enjoyed working at Cotton On until I worked at Broadbeach. The store is very poorly managed and they cause lots of drama. Rosters are supposed to be performance-based but are in fact friendship based. This is disappointing for the international workers (and anyone in general) who lives paycheck to paycheck, when hours are so inconsistent and sporadic. Coworkers are great company and some great friendships have been built, but don't want to work for this company again because of this experience. Company values are poor and it's sad to see how much plastic and rubbish and write-offs we go through every day. ps. if you don't feel comfortable lifting something heavy or pushing a heavy table, don't do it and don't feel pressured. It's better you don't hurt yourself

Pros

Coworkers - lovely girls Easy job

Cons

Management Poor environmental efforts Fast Fashion

I absolutely adore working at Cotton On!

Cotton On created an amazing environment to work in! I personally found it to be super friendly yet fast-paced, my managers are super friendly and my co-workers are great to work with. I definitely recommend Cotton On to anyone who wishes to apply! :))

Pros

50% Discount

Act sweet at first, then treats you badly towards the end

Cons: - Unpaid overtime- Managers lack compassion and understanding of the employment law. They would misinterpret the law and ask you to do what they want - Horrible rosters, they give you shifts for the next 3 weeks, then delete them 3 days prior to the shifts, then call you in the morning to come to work ASAP. - Was told to lie to customers about the price to increase the sales number- Little support and training from the managers- dismiss you when you speak up about your rights, even from the HR- overall Cotton On is a fast-fashion, they talk highly about the value of the people, but really what they care about is the money- didn't appreciate your work and would just dismiss you like you don't existPros: - easy job I guess, but not the part where we have to convince customers to spend more money where they don't need it- some people would say the 50% discount, but I don't shop their brands

Pros

idk

Cons

no appreciation, lack of compassion towards other, lack of support

Love everything about the job with the cotton on group

Amazing and fun experience, I love every second of working for the cotton on group and the work environment is so welcoming and supportive! Everyone works so well together.

Laid back, positive work space.

Enjoyed working every shift, customers were friendly and work wasn't too difficult. Managers were understanding, reasonable and polite. I really liked working here made me happy.

Pros

Great discount 50 percent off

Positive workplace culture

The Cotton On Group has a strong sense of camaraderie with numerous services offered to support employee wellbeing. People are very approachable and management encourage and motivate employee learning and employment growth.

Pros

Employment incentives

Fine if you need a uni job

I worked at COG for a handful of years. I enjoy customer service roles and fashion retail and I did enjoy this job for a good couple of years. It's ideally perfect for someone studying in my opinion due to hrs, flexibility and the discount. However, here are some basic facts: 1) The management was below average (and we'd had a few!) and would pit us against each other by choosing obvious favorites. Ego's would form and people would become bossy, etc. All for hrs. Our store was a VERY toxic workplace and I've heard the same from other stores. Myself and quite seriously everyone I worked with has stories of us going home in tear and often at work too. 2) It isn't fair. You don' get hrs based off your skills or availability, it's straight up favoritism. 3) The targets and KPI'S are usually very un-reachable and the pressure is REAL. I do feel bad for store managers here, the pressure does come from above them - but the way it was handled was always shocking. The day to day tasks though, are not tough. Greet customers, chat, fold, steam, hang, scan. 4) You will never get promoted, no matter what. Trust me. If one does, they stay in middle mgmt for years and drop out of uni. 5) The other casuals are amazing. I have made lifelong friends. I am so grateful for the job for bringing me that. 6) COG pay fairly and the discount is great. This is perfect if you need 10-15 hrs a week and have other things on your horizon and can take on or ignore the bitchiness. 7) There were weeks when I had 4 hrs and others had easily 30 for no reason other than favoritism. No joke. I reckon -

fast paced and competitive, but failed to give me hours

Working at cotton on allows you t build strong bonds with the people you work with, however, casual stuff are taken advantage of, leaving me specially with barely any hours per week.

Was not the best experience for me

I found the staff to be extremely rude and judgemental, as well as some of the management. They were all quite snobby and not willing to let you make mistakes and learn from them. Although the discount was fun while it lasted, I would never put myself through that torment again.

Job can be fun as long as you have a good team

Management here is absolutely terrible and they give responsibilities to new casuals that are way above their pay grade. They teach you a lot but often expect you to know certain things that aren't exactly your role. Management have expectations that are way too high - and often there is no winning in any situation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Cotton On Group with