The Cotton On Group

Seasonal Associate57 reviews
Australia57 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 57 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,523 reviews

An amazing place to work with the best staff.

Every shift was unique and there was never a dull moment. The managers were all really friendly and eager to teach. The majority of shifts are spent maintaining store appearance, which is a lot of fun, and serving at the registers. Most customers were super friendly too.

Pros

Great work environment and discounts across COG brands

Definitely shows support

This was my first job and I was nervous and excited. With them knowing I had a speech impediment disability (which means you don't let enough air into the lungs incase you get excited, stressed, upset, etc. And you stutter and mumble your words). They are very supportive when it came to that. If I had any issues with anything, they listened and acted on it straight away. They train you until you feel comfortable doing it on your own.

Pros

Management, fellow workers

Cons

Just one fellow Christmas casual, that's it

The Cotton On Group insights

What people like
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

Fun workplace

Everyone was really nice and overall culture was great. The discount is fantastic. As a Christmas casual there is no guarantee that you will be kept on.

Pros

Great discount

Fun and fast paced environment

Interview process was fast and got the offer in one day.Staff were fun and friendly. Staff rooster communication was not the best and inconsistent.

overall good workplace

I worked as a christmas casual but didn't get many hours (about 8 hours per week). The training was good, I was given 3 training shifts along with an online learning platform. It was fast-paced yet you quickly get the hang of it after a few shifts. It was a good experience for a first job.

Pros

50% discount

Competitive and mean culture, alright pay, huge turnover rate.

My high up manager was lovely, but i found the work environment to be fairly toxic.A typical day would be greeting customers, LOTS of folding and keeping your area neat and tidy. Most of the managers are in their early 20s so i guess maybe thats why the culture seemed off, or because they know the turnover rate is high so they talk to and treat their Xmas casuals as disposable. Most of the employees had a very weird energy and it felt extremely cliquey, if you weren't overtly friendly to popular workers you'd be ignored and won't advance in your career, or definitely let go after the Xmas period.The hardest part of the job is how extremely busy our particular store got as well as keeping up with how quickly tables/racks got destroyed by customers, most enjoyable part of the job was probably the perks (you get 50% off everything) and as an LGBT person i felt completely comfortable.

Pros

Staff discount, trendy clothes

Cons

Cliquey workplace culture, fast paced, high turnover rate.

Chill and relaxing place to work at

Staff were amazing. It was like working with your mates. I was only a Christmas casual but I would definitely recommend working here. You pick up as you go and you’ll always have help. Overall it was a chill and fun place to work at. Only downside was that there wasn’t many shifts but it’s perfect when you have a second job.

Pros

Staff have 50% off

Cons

Not many shifts

Friendly hands-on learning and fast-paced environment

I had a really enjoyable experience during the busy Christmas season. During my employment and training (where you learn how they operate things and about the company), my team mates and team leaders were exceptionally friendly and understanding with me - they were pretty supportive and I felt welcomed pretty early on.

Pros

Discounts, breaks, friendly team mates, convenient work-life balance, supportive training

Cons

Sore legs and feet from busy days - reminder: get better shoes.

Not what I thought it’d be

I thought it would be fun and relaxed. Instead I felt pressured to sell products and push people into buying things which I don’t like happening to me let alone trying to do it to someone else. A manager came up to me on my first day and told me “we need to make $2000 in 15 minutes” what a joke. I was having nightmares about ways in which I can sell products. Also, I was not advised of my work schedule/hours. One day a manager called me, asked me to come into work, then 10 minutes later said , don’t worry we’ve found someone else. So rude. Never want to work for that company ever again

Collaborative and fun

Fun place to work, nice people. Typical day stocking up shelves, tidying up and serving customers. Dealing with loud children was the hardest part but also very fun. Learned register and cash handling skills.

Productive and Fun

Was only there for a few months as a casual so I did not learn to much. I learnt how to clean, tend to customers via phone and in person. They were lovely people.

Not my ideal work place

It was a very fast paced and competitive place to work but you still were able to learn a few skills for further jobs. The management was okay but sometimes the amount of stress didn't really feel like it was worth it, because of the pay rate.

it was okay but could be better

took for ever to start working. many time i felt like i was not welcome by other staff, but some where very nice. only got 3 shifts the time working there

Severe lack of management

Took longer than a month to actually start working. The training website was down, in store training was very casual and rushed. Didn't want the casuals to do anything, instead kept them busy with little jobs to occupy time. Very stingy on shifts. Apart from the week of Christmas, all casuals had a 3-hour shift per week. Got workers in from other Cotton on Group stores doing more shifts than the casuals. Workplace was very competitive and not friendly. I just felt incredibly out of the loop. Would not recommend this job to anyone. Only perk was the work was easy, and the customers were fun.

Perfect Role

My time at Cotton On was spent as a Christmas Casual and was very well spent. Management was very friendly and I was extensively taught about the retail operations within Cotton On which assisted my preparation for the fast-paced environment that characterises Christmas. I learnt how to operate registers as well as clean up the store. The girls I worked with were extremely friendly and welcoming and it was like a family environment which I was comfortable in. The discounts were also amazing (50%) and assisted greatly to dress for work (have to wear Cotton On clothes) and I've saved a lot using this discount. The only downside was my lack of shifts - I was placed in a store that already had enough people so I did not receive a great number of shifts.

Great work family build new relationships

Throughout my experiences working for Cotton On I've built a new work family having fun and great laughs. Meeting customers each day or see some come back in and having a conversation with them, helping them with what they need. One of the best things was if you needed help there's no point of being scared you are encouraged to ask for help and you learn from it all.

Pros

The people

Cons

To short of hours working

not good

not enough training given and then being expected to know everything when barely given shifts, high expectations by co workers who are not hlpful and judgemental.

Good place to work as a casual

The employee benefits and the hourly rates for casuals are really good. The people I worked with were really supportive and helpful and I had a wonderful time.

nice team environment and work space

It was a decent first job. staff were friendly, working environment was nice, safe and productive. they gave really uneven shifts however but perhaps that was because it was Christmas casual position. I went from 2-3 shifts a week to 1 or none a week and I only worked around a month or so. but the hours were good and it was a pleasant experience

productive and fun workplace

Everyone around me was extremely friendly and willing to help me out if i needed it. I learned a lot about customer service and developed many skills such as communication and time-management.

It was amazing

I'm so sad I couldn't stay any longer but I learnt a lot about sales through them, and i would definitely get a job with them again, the community is great.

Pros

great staff discount

Cons

sometimes late hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Cotton On Group with