The Cotton On Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The Cotton On Group Management reviews

Clear
3.5Work–Life Balance

Found 144 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,333 reviews

Really depends on your management

Work is not hard and once you have the hang of it it isn't difficult at all, very kpi focused and can be obsessive over people shop-lifting, you have to act like you care about those things to stay in the role. I had an excellent store manager who I felt was fair and gave shifts out accordingly, but the management changes all the time. New store manager picks favourites and allocates shifts based on that.

Pros

50% discount, decent pay

Cons

management

Fast paced but enjoyable

I enjoyed my experience at Cotton On Kids, but my regional was not very supportive and I felt that my team deserved more. She is not there anymore, so it is probably better. I was offered great opportunities and I loved my team, head office is a wonderful place and the perks were great. I worked incredibly hard for those perks, but it was a fun place with good product!

Pros

Staff discount

Cons

Poor upper management, not enough hours for staff

Not enough hours

Casual employment with a good hourly wage and staff discount. However, not enough hours were available for shift allocation. 3 hour shifts is the norm, with too many staff members to allocate shifts too. I am confused as to why they were hiring when there were more workers available to work then there were more shifts to be allocated. Staff and management were nice and easy to talk to. However, I made my decision to leave as even for a casual worker I cannot solely survive on 1-2 3 hour shifts a week.

Pros

staff discount

Cons

not enough hours

Pretty standard working environment in retail

A nice atmosphere in stores and with the teams, everyone is friendly and helpful. Although it could get gossipy and managment can play favourites but overall pretty good. The task expectations are beyond though and time frames unrealistic. Overtime was expected from management and full time positions rarely opened up (in WA) so not many chances for progression. They make the day to day fun and put a big emphasis on having fun on the job. Company is very "reactive" and seems alot more disorganised since covid happened, wihch made it frustrating in such an unsure time.

Pros

Long lunch breaks, good discounts and good people!

Cons

Expectations of management and take advantage of good workers

3 years a casual in 2 stores, often hoping between stores to help out! This is what gave me more experience. Every time I had to go to a different store I learnt something new. Before I knew it I was ready for a management role! It was a great experience. Working with my team learning more and teaching what I knew to grow and create a great team! I had so much higher management support it was a great experience! I went back back to casual to expand my family.

Pros

Support so much support!

Cons

Breaking bad news to team members I built great relationships with

big work load and high customer volume suits someone who enjoys always being busy

open progressive company fast paced with fashion and decision making open and approachable management teams strong head office and dc support with a fun and supportive team culture

Pros

great discount for friends and family

Was a good experience

Great people. However the managers are horrible at remembering shift changes and letting you know what they've changed. Had issues with my pay nearly every paycheck. But I would recommend it. They never keep Christmas Casuals though.

It's a fun and lively workplace

The atmosphere is usually relaxed and all the people are genuinely friendly and fun to work with and I enjoy working there. Management are also very nice and understanding and are great at their jobs.

Dont do it

Terrible company to be employed under. Management dont treat you human,just a number. Promises not adhered to. Staff try to stay positive but it's difficult.

Red flags from start to finish

Pros - great discount across all brands Cons- upper management was a disaster to work with - they micromanage so much that theres no point having managers

Positive workplace culture

The Cotton On Group has a strong sense of camaraderie with numerous services offered to support employee wellbeing. People are very approachable and management encourage and motivate employee learning and employment growth.

Pros

Employment incentives

Fine if you need a uni job

I worked at COG for a handful of years. I enjoy customer service roles and fashion retail and I did enjoy this job for a good couple of years. It's ideally perfect for someone studying in my opinion due to hrs, flexibility and the discount. However, here are some basic facts: 1) The management was below average (and we'd had a few!) and would pit us against each other by choosing obvious favorites. Ego's would form and people would become bossy, etc. All for hrs. Our store was a VERY toxic workplace and I've heard the same from other stores. Myself and quite seriously everyone I worked with has stories of us going home in tear and often at work too. 2) It isn't fair. You don' get hrs based off your skills or availability, it's straight up favoritism. 3) The targets and KPI'S are usually very un-reachable and the pressure is REAL. I do feel bad for store managers here, the pressure does come from above them - but the way it was handled was always shocking. The day to day tasks though, are not tough. Greet customers, chat, fold, steam, hang, scan. 4) You will never get promoted, no matter what. Trust me. If one does, they stay in middle mgmt for years and drop out of uni. 5) The other casuals are amazing. I have made lifelong friends. I am so grateful for the job for bringing me that. 6) COG pay fairly and the discount is great. This is perfect if you need 10-15 hrs a week and have other things on your horizon and can take on or ignore the bitchiness. 7) There were weeks when I had 4 hrs and others had easily 30 for no reason other than favoritism. No joke. I reckon -

fun and productive

management of areas were not great to work for didn't commend you on the hard work you did, management of overall company was great. high intake of customer service and stock, can be fast paced around busy times of year. good first job in retail. lack of train was provided in my intense, but overall good to work for.

Nothing to say

I have nothing to say about this as I worked there for a very short time. Great working environment Awesome management Not enough work Would work there again

Average

i learnt skills and strengthened current ones but it isn't a long term role and isn't much career progression. The management needs improvement as well

Not my ideal work place

It was a very fast paced and competitive place to work but you still were able to learn a few skills for further jobs. The management was okay but sometimes the amount of stress didn't really feel like it was worth it, because of the pay rate.

Was not the best experience for me

I found the staff to be extremely rude and judgemental, as well as some of the management. They were all quite snobby and not willing to let you make mistakes and learn from them. Although the discount was fun while it lasted, I would never put myself through that torment again.

Job can be fun as long as you have a good team

Management here is absolutely terrible and they give responsibilities to new casuals that are way above their pay grade. They teach you a lot but often expect you to know certain things that aren't exactly your role. Management have expectations that are way too high - and often there is no winning in any situation.

intense management

for a casual worker, the job was way too stressful with way too many unreasonable expectations from management. staff benefits were great and the pay was good.

Fun environment working with a great team

I found my time at Cotton On extremely fun, fast paced, and very customer focused. I enjoyed working with the team and felt that every day enabled strong working relations with both my team mates, management and being able to always exceed customer service standards.

Love my job!

Cotton On has been on of the greatest jobs I've had. The environment, team and company are all fantastic. With the right support of management, you can really progress and learn more. They've been fantastic and understanding to issues both in store and in life. The workplace is fun and easy work. You're regularly attending to customers and really engaging with them so if you love that customer interaction this is the best place for you. They push you for KPIs but don't set unrealistic expectations. They love to help you learn more about the store, the products and customer service. The pay is pretty good and the discount is soooo nice. Only downside is that casual shifts come and go depending on how the store operates. You can have a tonne of hours on fortnight and the next have one or two shifts so think about your bills and lifestyle and budget accordingly. Highly recommended cotton on, I've never loved a work place so much before.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Cotton On Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• The Cotton On Group