The Disability Trust
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The Disability Trust Employee Reviews for Disability Support Worker

Disability Support Worker8 reviews
Australia8 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

good workplace environment

the disability trust, is a good place to work if you like a face paced, and unique environment, no day is ever the same and you get the feeling of supporting someone.

Compassionate, dedicated staff

Like any work place there will always be a few who don't match up to expectations. However overall working for The Disability Trust has been the best disability support services in my 12 years experience to work for. They have/had by far some of the most compassionate, educated, experienced managers I have worked with. The dedication to families in need and drive to come up with ways to support them and problem solve ideas has taught me so much about what it means to work in this industry. Many of the support workers I also worked with a very dedicated and supportive to their clients and families. They have also had much more structure, upto date policy and continual improvements and training then any of the 5 other companies I have worked in.

Disability Support Work

The most enjoyable part of the job is the skill development. Witnessing the participants growth make this job worthwhile. While it is not an easy job, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Fast paced job, and very rewarding. I enjoy a challenage.

Upon commencement as a casual disability support worker I was placed into work immediately, I never had a buddy to show me the ropes. I quickly learned that you have to be quick on your feet. I love the clients who I work with and that would be the most enjoyable part of my job. To see my clients faces light up when I arrive for me shift is heart warming to say the least. I love that my clients have trust and faith in me. The hardest part of my job is working with young disabled children. Its heart breaking, but I always put on my happy face and do what is needed to do.

Working at Disability Trust

This job was one of the best jobs I've ever had in my adult working life. The management were helpful, the staff were brilliant and the clients we looked after day after day really made it easy to get out of bed whenever I needed to go to work.

Overstaffed and poor casual work

Work for casual staff is for group care and individual support. These are fun but I have seen new staff members not recieve any shadow hours with clients thats ok if you are expereinced, but not qualified and inexperienced staff have shifts with new clients with only a SAP sheet to show them what to do. It's not fair on the client or worker, DT is still wanting casual staff, which I don't understand as new casual staff are finding only a few shifts are available, Shifts that are handed out can be for only a hour or maybe a little more. The focus is on the clients not so good for staff support

Pros

Co-workers staff no a lot

Cons

Management and no shifts

Loved the work disliked the management.

Day shift started at 6 am. You do a change over with the afternoon/night shift person. Catch up on what happened the night before. Read the weeks reports if you haven't worked all week. Start organizing breakfast. Residents wake up, help the residents that need help to get their breakfast. Clean up after breakfast. Organize the residents that need showers and who just need to wash their faces and get dressed. Start to hurry those who need to go to jobs or day placements. Drive them to the places that they have to be. Come back to house to catch up on paperwork and any house work Organize lunch for those that are at home. Go and pick up the workers and day placement residents and return them home. Leave at 4 pm, when the afternoon/night shift staff come into work.

Pros

Social outings to the club and residents win meat trays.

Cons

Over qualified managers taking a disliking certain staff.

basketball , soccer, road trip

Typical day at work is looking after the clients and give them all the attention they needs , we do different activities during the day , we go for day trips to different events happening in the community . It gets busy sometimes but the team work is good , management is available when needs and very supportive . Hardest part of work is when you don't understand what the client needs when they are agitated or when they can not speak proper english. Enjoyable part of work is meeting new clients , learning a lot about them and knowing different backgrounds of people .

Cons

8 am to 5 pm not that bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Disability Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• The Disability Trust