The Good Guys

The Good Guys Employee Reviews

Australia112 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Fun, competitive, learning

Fun place to work if you like talking to people.Gets hectic sometimes.Attention to detail is a must.Good staff discounts.Good commission. Depends on the manager.

Doing good!

Good culture all round, no pressure to work in the office although a very good place to be with regular events in the office e.g. Artists coming in to perform at lunch time!

Pros

Staff discount across The Good Guys and JB Hi-Fi

Cons

Fast pace isnt for everyone

Huge learning potential

Very easy to use software that could make u work efficiently, which is quite rarely seen in retailer head office. Work could be stressful as it's fast moving goods, but learn and grow a lot on the job. The only disadvantage is the limited career progression, but definitely a good training ground to learn and grow your business acumen in retail world.

Worst workplace

Maribyrnong store was the most toxic environment, especially with the management. They will over work you, gaslight you and play favouritism like crazy. RUN.

Pros

Going home

Cons

Controlling, No work life balance, intolerant to leave requests

Quick pace environment where KPI'S are measured & valued.

Great opportunities for highly motivated individuals who can work well with others, to achieve team results. Must be willing to adapt & work in face pace environments.

Productive and fun work environment

Awesome place to work good friendly environment awesome managment team who help and guide you to success and want to see you succeed. All staff are friendly

Pros

Good Lunch Breaks, Good Managment

Cons

Bad Pay, hard to move in ranks but is possible

Not bad

Not bad for work but no more money making in jobRelaxed environment Ever since owned by jbhifi it’s gone downhill No more fun to work therePolitics in work

Pros

Not bad

Cons

Hardly any money anymore

No support from Management

My time at the Good Guys was stressful as there was little support from Management and supervisors. Toxic culture due to sales targets and competitive staff members. No support with incoming calls which are non stop. Unreasonable break times (lunch at 3pm). Not recommended.

Good not great

Started in 2018 and ended in 2022.Was fast-paced and sometimes stressful, and management was ok most of the time. Sometimes angry customers can put a sour mood on the day.

Good Guys Marion Amazing!!

Great Store Manager & Floor Managers, fantastic work ethics, support, help, encouragement, amazing work culture,fair, respectful, great team, all one asks for : )

Pros

respect

Cons

Minimal wage with next to no management

The job itself could be quite fulfilling and wholesome; the ability to help customers find what they need while attaining sales KPI's.However management is next to non-existent both in the store and in corporate.This therefore ties into my main concern and issue; KPI's and commission based selling is not as "accessible" to all staff (in particular new).Staff members that have been there for several years get away with doing nothing but selling high ticket items and NOTHING ELSE!This means no phone calls, no complaints, no stock refilling, no ticket repricing etc.This is all left to the new staff or staff that are more easily approachable.Now management could get involved and "MANAGE" said staff members, however this is not the case. This "boys club" mentality is a far out-dated principle that needs to be addressed asap.This aside, the salary is a complete joke.Employees on $22 p/h; this includes admin, warehouse or sales.(keeping in mind; yes, only sales team-members can earn commission)Definitely would not recommend!!

Fast paced environment, good pay, stressful quotas

The managers and staff at my store in particular are great people to work with. Staff discount is really good. There is a lot of pressure to meet sales targets and to push for extended warranties and there isn't much training which made it stressful to do tasks I wasn't taught how to do beforehand. Job culture of course is different from store to store

Pros

teamwork based environment, staff discount, fast-paced evironment

Cons

lack of training, stressful quotas

Not a nice place to work, one particular staff member was an awful person to work with right from day one.

Wish I had never started work at this place. Some of the staff were not friendly. I have always got along with everyone. It's such a shame to have worked with someone who was such a nasty person.

Pay is fair overall working at good guys can be stressful

The managers are the worst have no idea how they became managers in the first place, the workers are lazy and can be rude to customers, the managers roster you on days you specifically tell them in advance you can’t work

Stressful and little to no help

Working there is stressful, if you’re in sales there’s so many things you need to offer and are berated my managers when not done every time. Managers let people get away with being racist if they make the company lots of money

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Stress

Amazing environment

I started working here and straight away everyone was really welcoming and willing to help me all they could. They treated my like family and made me comfortable to be around themPay is really good too at $28 an hour

Pros

Great discounts and pay

Cons

Casuals aren’t always guaranteed shifts

Terrible

Long work week with little in return, the amount of hours you work does not justify the terrible pay. Full time workers get as low as $21.Shifts are non-negotiable.

Pros

Discount from jb hi-fi but not much

Cons

Long working week. Compulsory boxing day

not good experience

The not friendly work environment lots of internal politics, very unhuldy culture There are few good peoples as well HR team is good but some departmental mangers are not good

Good pay but stressful environment

When I started working there it was great, but one by one the people who made work enjoyable started leaving, and I couldn't blame them. The store in general is messy and unorganised when it comes to stock and displays, which leads to impatient customers and annoyed managers. Some of my colleagues would swipe sales under my nose, but then never do any cleaning or merchandising and leave that to the casual workers, further weakening their chance of making their weekly targets. Shifts would be taken away or added at the last minute, where I would either not have a shift for weeks or would work almost every day for a month. The store is in an odd location meaning you will not be getting many customers, and therefore will not likely make your target. Managers would try to be nice and reasonable, but they can only do so much, and come off as quite two-faced.

Pros

Good pay, especially with casual rate and commission

Cons

Very unorganised, and some nasty colleagues

The Best Workplace I have ever worked at The Good Guys

I have been involved in selling all of my life and moved to retail sales about 9 years ago when I took up my position as a whitegoods/cooking Salesperson at The Good Guys, Maitland NSW The Management Team are hard but fair and are flexible for example they will roster you off to give you time to go to say a wedding. The Management Team both in our Store and at Head Office encourages personal growth and are very supportive. If you put up your hand for help it is there. The Store is like a family to me very helpful and friendly. From my experience, The Good Guys is a great place to work. There are no factions or backstabbers.

Pros

Very supportive working environment, praise offered for a job well done.

Cons

You have to meet sales targets continually but that is sales in a nut

Productive and fun working space

A fast paced environment Learnt skills in admin and sales hardest part is learning the tasks and duties as they could be quite overwhelming most enjoyable part is working in team through positive and supportive environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Good Guys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The Good Guys with