The Pancake Parlour Employee Reviews

Undignified.
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 March 2019
Throughout my two-year multi-platform experience at The Pancake Parlour, I found that their company morale was short of non-existent. With a number of separate issues I and my colleagues faced throughout my time there, none of the issues were brought to higher attention, dealt with or compensated for. Some of these issues included staff harassment, management workplace bullying and lack of response from head office when placing these complaints. On reflection, my colleagues were wonderful, the wage was above average for the role but the nature of the company was not somewhere I would choose to work again.
Absolutely terrible experience. The management are weird and owners are involved in Scientology.
Hired as a manager (Former Employee) –  Chadstone VIC10 February 2019
The management are weird and owners are all involved in Scientology.

The pancake parlour would have to be one of the worst places to work, especially for naive children and young adults.

The company is involved in Scientology and is designed to take advantage of both its employees and customers. It’s all about the money....

The venues aren’t as clean as they should be, the food handling process is unsanitary and the whole concept of the business is to make money and save money by taking advantage of their staff. They continually cut corners by sending staff home early, instead of finishing the jobs they should get done, like detail cleaning the venue at the end of the day. Instead they leave the venue to fester and stinking of off dairy products which haven’t been cleaned properly.

They charge a ridiculous amount for the food and beverages they sell. Considering the majority of their food stuffs is made from the basic ingredients like flour, water, sugar, milk, cream, fat, meats and potatoes. The products actually have a tremendous profit margin and markup on them which make them extremely overpriced.

The company also takes advantage of using young and naive employees to save money. Many of which are promised promotions and roles of authority as an incentive to work hard, however in most cases they are just selling them a dream. I found most of the employees were expecting promotions to management and several were actually hired or responded to advertisements for management, yet once they begin employment they are convinced they would have to work in
  more... each area of the business for many months on end, several years in fact before they are considered and paid as a manager, yet the pay, responsibilities and title never come. They are geniuses by advertising for management, yet once the employee begins, they are actually placed in as a normal floor member, and paid as a floor member, whether it be in the kitchen, bar or dining area.

The company strategy is to employ hard working, overvexperinced employees with a hope to reach management, yet pay them minimum wages and have them what they call “master each area of the business” before they are considered and paid for what they were initially hired to do “manage” the store, venue.

Overall it was a terrible experience.

Oh, not to mention watching the old greasy male manager/s sleeze all over young girls.
Pros
Ice cream and pancakes
Cons
Everything else
Fun workplace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Highpoint Shopping Centre VIC20 January 2019
Great place to work while you're young and confident. I find the best waiters at this place aren't lazy, juggle seating customers, running food, drinks and serving customers within the minute they sit down. It can be fast paced and stressful, but that's like any job in hospitality you just have to learn along the way and take note.

Lovely restaurant manager at this place, always helped me out and he taught me how to handle stress at peak times and do everything the best way. His smile makes the work environment so much better.

Casual pay for an adult is AMAZING! Especially weekends. The only downside is the hours. Some weeks you can get 3 shifts or work max hours, but the truth is it all depends on how good you are, your availabilities and peak times. This is a 24hr restaurant too so you can work some randoms hours.

Learning the iPad can be a bit difficult. But study the abbreviations and layout, and you'll be acing it.

Most enjoyable part of the job, is the people. Unfortunately if you don't get along with the people, it will never be enjoyable. Kitchen staff and waiters were super friendly and funny. If you're confident, have a positive attitude, you're social, fast and efficient.
This job is perfect for you!
Pros
Flexible hours, the staff, the pay
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Horrible workplace and even worse managment
IT Waitress (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC8 January 2019
Working at the pancake parlour I was never given proper training, I was pushed aside and ignored even the manager who 'trained' me didn't remember me which was extremely rude and I was only ever given 4 shifts in 5 months of working there.
Pros
Cons
Everything about it made it a horrible experience
Barely worked at all
Waiter/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 December 2018
I was hired for a local pancake parlour and received decent shifts for the first few weeks, and then I was lucky to get 1 shift a week. I would ask for shifts but never received any. Good place for casual work but I wasn't impressed with how I or other people I knew were treated. Pay was awful.
Tolerable but wouldn't recommend
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 May 2018
Worked across several restaurants. Found management to be quite strange, clique-y and incredibly stingy. Management would send some employees home as soon as it got quiet, and then would act all surprised when it got busy again and the remaining staff were run off their feet. I was told to "scoop" strawberry stems out with a spoon because cutting them off "caused too much wastage" despite this being more time-efficient and barely causing more wastage. I was told I would be getting X amount of hours and ended up working less than half that most weeks. When I resigned the manager on duty said "I thought you were going to!" in a fake-nice tone. This job is tolerable but I wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Most floor staff are cross-trained - waiting, drinks, kitchen prep
Cons
Unpredictable hours, you lose your work-life balance if you want to make decent money, management were borderline insufferable
All over the place
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC7 November 2017
The pancake parlour can be a fun place to work but, it is very unpredictable. It is often understaffed on a busy day and overstuffed on a quiet day,
Throughout the time of working there as a casual waiter, I've worked a two hour shift which was awful and I've worked a seven hour shift. The hours are not very well managed, and I've had to compromise a lot of plans to only then be told that I am; starting later, finishing early, finishing later.
Pros
Meeting nice and considerate staff
Cons
Is not very organised
Great salary benefits and job security
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Malvern East VIC24 July 2017
Work life balance non existent if you want to be successful in the role and progress. No freedom in managing your own business, constantly micro managed by senior management
Great place
Chef Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 May 2017
Its a great place to work and learn a lot about the food and to how to cook good stuff.
They pay you very well and they are very strict with it.
Its a pleasure to work for them.
Pros
Awesome place
Cons
Dont feed their employees.
enjoyable to work for a successful growing company
Head Waitress (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA11 November 2016
Enjoyable and rewarding experience with working with a diverse range of products and services professional and friendly atmosphere and staff members were punctual and reliable
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Management are rude to struggling staff
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Doncaster VIC8 October 2016
The pancake parlour is a good job for experienced waitstaff who can handle fast paced stressful environments. But the management is much to be desired.
-Was told i'd never work past midnight, then the next night i was made to stay until 4:30am.
-On my 3rd day was put in the bussiest section, then yelled at when i said i was struggling. (even thought the staff who had been there for much longer also would have struggled.
-Was told that if i seated someone, to tell the waiter/waitress in that section so they were aware to attend to them, but then the manager would constantly seat people without telling me.
-Manager yelled at me for having a migraine.
-When i quit i explained it was because of health issues, and the manager mumbled under his breath (but obviously loud enough for me to hear) "yeah well we all have health issues and we still manage to work but whatever"
Pros
lots of work so lots of money
Cons
Management and long hours
Fun team of people but a very demanding job both physically and mentally
Cook (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 June 2016
Multi-tasking and ensuring high standards of food and food health and safety are met
How to work fast paced and how to communicate well with other team members when in full service
Delegating tasks to other team members
Learning new recipes and how to serve up dishes perfectly everytime
Management can often struggle to get everything to run smoothly and perfectly as restaurants are very hectic places
Staff can get very stressed out
Co-workers are the most friendly and fun team members I have ever worked with in any job (I have worked 3 other jobs before this), they really get you through the hard days
The best part of the job is serving up good food and working with fun people who often become your friends outside of work
The hardest part of the job is the heat in the kitchen, the physical and mental stresses of time management in the kitchen, and also the monotony of the job (in other words doing the same thing many many times such as cooking the same recipes everyday, cleaning lots of dishes every shift and cleaning the kitchen itself)
Pros
Food allowance for cooks
Cons
Working in a hot kitchen
Fairly bad place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 May 2016
The company has lost track of the concept of a good management system, choosing unskilled, uneducated (in terms of management) people to lead the restaurant. This often results in many shifts that are severely undertstaffed (3-4 cooks on a very busy Friday night) causing severe pressure on the entire restaurant, or grotesquely over staffed (7 cooks on a Wednesday day). The latter often involving employees being told to go home after only 2 hours work.

They also seem to have forgotten a golden rule of business. If you antagonise the senior workers (I.e. The workers who basically train your entire work staff) by being ludicrously unfair (yes I do understand the concept of entry level jobs and can without a doubt say this) you set the company up to fail in the long run by having a gradual exponential decay in quality of workers due to the original workers leaving.

The only plus I can say for this company is: if you're a Univeristy student with a flexible timetable, then by all means it's good for the money if you don't mind not sleeping. And they always somehow manage to hire the nicest people.

If you need the job, take it. If not, it's not worth the headache it brings. Glad not to be working here anymore.
Pros
Money is good, friendly staff
Cons
Management is useless
Best place to work
Cook/Chef (Current Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC13 November 2015
The place is with a friendly atmosphere and the managers are really friendly. Appreciate all the good work done and advices on the areas the workers needs to improve. Cooking and getting feedbacks from customers is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Free Meal
Great Place to work
WAITRESS (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia16 December 2014
My job as a waitress was to take orders, serve food and drinks and keep my station clean and tidy.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Low wage
Friendly Atmosphere and Good benefits
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, VIC4 September 2014
The Pancake parlour is a fantastic place to work if you feel you're suited for a job as a waiter. The food is beautiful, the customers are generally polite and the other workers are absolutely brilliant.
The hardest part of the job is juggling running food and drinks and managing customers however that isn't even a real issue.
I've learned many things about being a waiter and could also if I so desired obtain further training in preparing drinks.

I would definetely reccomend the Doncaster Pancake Parlour for anybody who wishes to obtain a job as a waiter
Pros
50% off food, Potential for elevation, drinks training provided
Cons
No end time
Lovely work place, great workmates and friendly manager
Office Manager / Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Canberra City29 July 2012
It was a really great place to work at. I had a lot of work, particulary the back log from the year before i commenced, but I had the autonomy to address it in a manner suitable to my workstyle. I actually felt appreciated by the owner and floor staff. Unfortunately the Owner was not willing to neg. pay/hours once I have 'worked myself out' of the full time work load and wanted to scale down the hours. I found it somewhat unfair seeing that when it was necessary in the beggining I worked 12 hour days to get on top of the historical issues.
Pros
free coffee & cheaper or free meals (usually kitchen mistakes or 'must use' items)
Cons
owner was not willing to neg. pay/hours once i