The Reject Shop Employee Reviews

fast paced environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queensland18 May 2019
Fast paced work place but unfortunately if you find yourself in a position with not so positive people you just become a number and the work life balance starts to disappear.
Pros
good staff discount
Cons
long hours, physically demanding
Dont apply unless you want to be treated like your worthless
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool NSW13 May 2019
Management are terrible and the HR don't help. With anything if you like being treated like a dog and getting paid like bad then this is the job for you. Also don't forget to be either family or friends with the manager you you get priority over everyone else with shifts
Pros
Cons
Alot
Good first job
Casual worker, supervisor and Casual manager (Former Employee) –  Seven Hills NSW7 May 2019
i have had this job for a long time it has its ups and down but overall enjoy working there. Great co-workers and management at Seven hills. Stressful at times but still enjoyable work
productive
TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Cranbourne VIC29 April 2019
Positive work enviroment, with plenty of learning oppurtunity. I learned customer service and team managment skills. welcoming staff and team members.
Ok
Casual Team Member (Former Employee) –  Merrylands NSW28 April 2019
The Reject Shop was the perfect place for someone who was still in school and get needed some extra cash.
The shifts were ok but they cut mine down to 3 hours once a fortnight.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Terrible management at Maryborough Store
Team member (Former Employee) –  Maryborough QLD22 March 2019
The management and treatment I had experienced at The Reject Shop, Maryborough store was awful. Bullying, laziness and incorrect following of procedure and protocol was quite common and not dealt with.
Great work environment to work in
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burleigh Heads QLD15 March 2019
Overall great experience working there. Every staff member is well trained and mannered. However they could provide more hours as the company decreases them, they could be more generous with giving hours to their casual staff.
Fun and up beat work place
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gunnedah NSW13 March 2019
Work with a great team, just need more hrs,as I am on a contract the companies policy is to offer more hours to a casual before a permanent/ part time
Pros
Work alongside friends
Cons
Can't give me more hrs
A great place !
Sale Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 February 2019
I enjoy working at the rejects shop as the customers are friendly and I am able to communicate with a range of people.I have learned how to speak to people, how to maintain a positive personality even in hard situations, how to problem solve and how to deal with money. Workplace culture is good and management is as well. The hardest part of the job is working hard but never achieving anything, or dealing with challenging customers. The most enjoyable part is working with fun people and great customers!
Pros
helps to build important skills
Cons
not good enough pay or shifts
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Top Ryde NSW25 February 2019
My working experience in reject shop has been pretty great. the whole experience has always been pleasant and the people I have worked with for the past 3 years have been beyond fantastic
Pros
great environment
Cons
Short Hours
A great starting point, but not a place to thrive at the moment
Casual assistant/part time manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria18 February 2019
I started at TRS as a casual at a store in Victoria, before becoming part time and eventually a part time manager, who would run the store where suitable.

In the beginning, the culture of the store, the camaraderie of the team, was great for the first five or so years of my tenure. There seemed to be more flexibility and awareness of frontline staff from senior stakeholders in the company.

When the company started to struggle financially, the culture of the store/region/company started to take a turn for the worse and gradually declined. As such there was a ridiculously high turnover of store management due to the pressure, low resources and high standards set in the region at the time.

You'll get your usually difficult, out of touch management as per standard in the retail industry, but at the time, having another new store manager who showed sociopathic tendencies didn't help matters.

Unfortunately all this had a trickle down effect and I found that the place was not the same and had changed immensely since when I first started. Won't go into details for obvious reasons, but during this period some casuals and full time staff were treated terribly, both personally and professionally.

TRS is a great place to start out and build your capacity and skills, especially if it is a first job. A competent and empathetic management team can make or break a store and can have a huge difference. I have made many friends from TRS and look back at most of my time there very fondly. I have picked up some good skills from working in retail and they have allowed me to build
  more... my capacity and grow in other areas.

At this point in time TRS doesn't seem to be a viable place to build a career and stick around in the long term, as the environment is just too difficult to work in, you really need to have a passion and serious dedication to stick it out. As a casual, you'll most likely be shielded from the difficulties though.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and building relationships, the hardest part was trying to manage senior managements high expectations on a shoestring budget.

Recommend as a first job/transitional role.
Pros
Reasonable pay, smaller team allows you to build more meaningful relationships
Cons
At times a lack of professionalism and toxic culture can hurt
I really enjoy working at The Reject Shop
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Windsor NSW10 February 2019
It is a fun and productive environment, where individuals are given the opportunity to gain a new range of skills and experiences. The company heavily supports its workers to ensure their health and safety.
Negative working Experience
Retail Assistant Services (Former Employee) –  Garden City QLD17 January 2019
The reject shop, whilst a good store to shop at, the management is atrocious. Every shift I would be on edge constantly, with managers picking at every detail. It made every shift a guessing game of whether it would be a good shift or an appalling one, with no in-between.
Pros and Cons
Retail Assistant / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kotara NSW16 January 2019
I was lucky enough to work with a lot of friendly colleagues and my time at The Reject Shop was enjoyable. A typical day included serving customers on the registers, packing shelves with stock, and tidying up the store.
Fun and friendly work environment.
CLERK (Former Employee) –  Deniliquin NSW15 January 2019
I enjoyed working at the reject shop as it suited my school and social life well, This job taught me a lot about how to work with customers and how to run the floor independently. Meeting new people everyday was the best part about this job, it was great a experience.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
long hours standing on your feet
productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brandon Park VIC4 January 2019
Learnt how to cash/use the register. Learnt how to stock/refill shelves. learnt how to do stocktake and mark down prices on items. The management were supportive.
Pros
cold work place
Cons
standing on feet all day
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Robina QLD9 December 2018
The Reject Shop is an easy going retail store with opportunities to work as a customer service representative and restock and organize shelves, the management of the Reject Shop is well represented and the layout of the stores are always well presented. Working at The Reject Shop i found that the most enjoyable part of the job was serving customers and contributing to making someones day better with a friendly conversation, there isn't a lot about the job i found hard besides an occasional fast-paced day on the cash register.
Pros
Easy going
Cons
Fast paced
fun workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roselands NSW4 December 2018
sales floor and customer service and the management is very good nice managers the workplace culture is very good, the hardest part of the job is sales floor
Pros
get a good break
Cons
long hrs
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW29 November 2018
Its A Great workplace, people here are lovely and most of the customers are regulary so you create a bond with them, its a fun and open minded place managment is good, they always check up on you and make sure u do the tasks in a safe and proper way
Pros
celebrations
Management is not great
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD20 November 2018
Of the 3 managers that I worked with only 1 manager was professional and effective at their job. The other 2 managers were not pleasant to staff and were extremely difficult to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Reject Shop. Our community is ready to answer.