The Reject Shop Management reviews

Gave me money
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Willetton WA18 June 2019
Wasn't happy about the amount of shift i was getting. Manger didn't give enough shifts the the staff working. The people were nice and a good bunch to be around
Pros
People who worked there
Cons
No hours given the management
Good starting job
Casual Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Macquarie NSW5 June 2019
Occassionally overrun due to lack of staff and excess of customers. Good starting workplace however, recommend to 16-20 year olds as a casual job. 3/5
Productive and clean environment.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Burleigh Heads QLD28 May 2019
Staff and management work hard to keep very high standards instore and create an easy going and fun work environment. I have enjoyed working with this company because they give the opportunities to further your career in the industry.
An Alright Place
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Cessnock NSW21 May 2019
The Reject Shop is a good start for anybody who has a lack of retail/supermarket type of job experience. The pay is generous as a casual, however it does come with a price. The management team whilst I was an employee appeared to have no respect for their employees, nor for their mental, physical and emotional well being, or just did not care enough. Whilst this was a good job, the way they let casuals go is, at least to say, horrible.
Pros
Casual wages were great.
Cons
Had no consideration of employees mental health state.
Dont apply unless you want to be treated like your worthless
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool NSW13 May 2019
Management are terrible and the HR don't help. With anything if you like being treated like a dog and getting paid like bad then this is the job for you. Also don't forget to be either family or friends with the manager you you get priority over everyone else with shifts
Pros
Cons
Alot
Good first job
Casual worker, supervisor and Casual manager (Former Employee) –  Seven Hills NSW7 May 2019
i have had this job for a long time it has its ups and down but overall enjoy working there. Great co-workers and management at Seven hills. Stressful at times but still enjoyable work
Terrible management at Maryborough Store
Team member (Former Employee) –  Maryborough QLD22 March 2019
The management and treatment I had experienced at The Reject Shop, Maryborough store was awful. Bullying, laziness and incorrect following of procedure and protocol was quite common and not dealt with.
A great place !
Sale Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 February 2019
I enjoy working at the rejects shop as the customers are friendly and I am able to communicate with a range of people.I have learned how to speak to people, how to maintain a positive personality even in hard situations, how to problem solve and how to deal with money. Workplace culture is good and management is as well. The hardest part of the job is working hard but never achieving anything, or dealing with challenging customers. The most enjoyable part is working with fun people and great customers!
Pros
helps to build important skills
Cons
not good enough pay or shifts
A great starting point, but not a place to thrive at the moment
Casual assistant/part time manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria18 February 2019
I started at TRS as a casual at a store in Victoria, before becoming part time and eventually a part time manager, who would run the store where suitable.

In the beginning, the culture of the store, the camaraderie of the team, was great for the first five or so years of my tenure. There seemed to be more flexibility and awareness of frontline staff from senior stakeholders in the company.

When the company started to struggle financially, the culture of the store/region/company started to take a turn for the worse and gradually declined. As such there was a ridiculously high turnover of store management due to the pressure, low resources and high standards set in the region at the time.

You'll get your usually difficult, out of touch management as per standard in the retail industry, but at the time, having another new store manager who showed sociopathic tendencies didn't help matters.

Unfortunately all this had a trickle down effect and I found that the place was not the same and had changed immensely since when I first started. Won't go into details for obvious reasons, but during this period some casuals and full time staff were treated terribly, both personally and professionally.

TRS is a great place to start out and build your capacity and skills, especially if it is a first job. A competent and empathetic management team can make or break a store and can have a huge difference. I have made many friends from TRS and look back at most of my time there very fondly. I have picked up some good skills from working in retail and they have allowed me to build
  more... my capacity and grow in other areas.

At this point in time TRS doesn't seem to be a viable place to build a career and stick around in the long term, as the environment is just too difficult to work in, you really need to have a passion and serious dedication to stick it out. As a casual, you'll most likely be shielded from the difficulties though.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and building relationships, the hardest part was trying to manage senior managements high expectations on a shoestring budget.

Recommend as a first job/transitional role.
Pros
Reasonable pay, smaller team allows you to build more meaningful relationships
Cons
At times a lack of professionalism and toxic culture can hurt
Negative working Experience
Retail Assistant Services (Former Employee) –  Garden City QLD17 January 2019
The reject shop, whilst a good store to shop at, the management is atrocious. Every shift I would be on edge constantly, with managers picking at every detail. It made every shift a guessing game of whether it would be a good shift or an appalling one, with no in-between.
productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brandon Park VIC4 January 2019
Learnt how to cash/use the register. Learnt how to stock/refill shelves. learnt how to do stocktake and mark down prices on items. The management were supportive.
Pros
cold work place
Cons
standing on feet all day
productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Robina QLD9 December 2018
The Reject Shop is an easy going retail store with opportunities to work as a customer service representative and restock and organize shelves, the management of the Reject Shop is well represented and the layout of the stores are always well presented. Working at The Reject Shop i found that the most enjoyable part of the job was serving customers and contributing to making someones day better with a friendly conversation, there isn't a lot about the job i found hard besides an occasional fast-paced day on the cash register.
Pros
Easy going
Cons
Fast paced
fun workplace
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roselands NSW4 December 2018
sales floor and customer service and the management is very good nice managers the workplace culture is very good, the hardest part of the job is sales floor
Pros
get a good break
Cons
long hrs
Management is not great
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD20 November 2018
Of the 3 managers that I worked with only 1 manager was professional and effective at their job. The other 2 managers were not pleasant to staff and were extremely difficult to work with.
Not good
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maryborough QLD2 November 2018
I was bullied alot working here. Not fun, was made to feel weak and useless not funn hated it hate my life stop this is annoying omg hlp me stop omg this is uslss
The reject shop review
Team member (Current Employee) –  Hollywood plaza SA26 October 2018
My typical day at work is usually me at the registers serving customers, stocking the shelves and/or putting products back on the shelves for the next day. I have learned how to work quick on my feet as well as how to use a basic register system. I have learnt how to effectively communicate to customers and staff as well as recover and stock shelves. Overall the management is alright but could do with improving like the amount of hours given to staff as well as communication. The culture at the reject shop is okay. The hardest part of the job is lifting heavy stock on shelves. The most enjoyable part of working at the reject shop is getting to work with lovely people.
Cons
Not enough hours, not getting a break
Meh
Stock hand (Former Employee) –  Benalla VIC22 October 2018
A reject shop opened in the same store right after the warehouse vacated the building so it was only natural to apply for what seemed like the same position st a similar company. The new management team lacked understanding of the local marketplace and unwilling to hear feedback or adapt to the local community, I left after a couple of months
Pros
Paid employment
Cons
Clueless leadership
Secure Workplace
Team member/customer service (Current Employee) –  Mentone VIC15 September 2018
A good employer with many opportunities and benefits. Always learning something new and growing within the company.

The management is structured and efficient while the workplace culture is fair, tolerant and friendly.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 September 2018
The reject shop was a fun and enjoyable place to work as the management is amazing and made me more confident, developed skills such as cash handling and responsibility
Professional Enviroment
Reach Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Hazelmere WA5 September 2018
Excellent structure and rewiews for work load and work management.

The working day is managed through a site break management system. the working day is broken down into 3 runs with breaks inbetween to help the day flow by.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Reject Shop. Our community is ready to answer.