The Reject Shop Employee Review

View all The Reject Shop reviews

A great starting point, but not a place to thrive at the moment
Casual assistant/part time manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria18 February 2019
I started at TRS as a casual at a store in Victoria, before becoming part time and eventually a part time manager, who would run the store where suitable.

In the beginning, the culture of the store, the camaraderie of the team, was great for the first five or so years of my tenure. There seemed to be more flexibility and awareness of frontline staff from senior stakeholders in the company.

When the company started to struggle financially, the culture of the store/region/company started to take a turn for the worse and gradually declined. As such there was a ridiculously high turnover of store management due to the pressure, low resources and high standards set in the region at the time.

You'll get your usually difficult, out of touch management as per standard in the retail industry, but at the time, having another new store manager who showed sociopathic tendencies didn't help matters.

Unfortunately all this had a trickle down effect and I found that the place was not the same and had changed immensely since when I first started. Won't go into details for obvious reasons, but during this period some casuals and full time staff were treated terribly, both personally and professionally.

TRS is a great place to start out and build your capacity and skills, especially if it is a first job. A competent and empathetic management team can make or break a store and can have a huge difference. I have made many friends from TRS and look back at most of my time there very fondly. I have picked up some good skills from working in retail and they have allowed me to build
  more... my capacity and grow in other areas.

At this point in time TRS doesn't seem to be a viable place to build a career and stick around in the long term, as the environment is just too difficult to work in, you really need to have a passion and serious dedication to stick it out. As a casual, you'll most likely be shielded from the difficulties though.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and building relationships, the hardest part was trying to manage senior managements high expectations on a shoestring budget.

Recommend as a first job/transitional role.
Pros
Reasonable pay, smaller team allows you to build more meaningful relationships
Cons
At times a lack of professionalism and toxic culture can hurt

Other The Reject Shop Employee Reviews

Best place to start off! Loved TRS
Sales Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Traralgon VIC6 June 2019
Fantastic manager, staff, store, etc
I am extremely happy with my time here and wish I could have stayed longer!
I highly recommend that if you are a young person not sure of where to begin, The Reject Shop is the best place to start. Particularly the one in Traralgon
Pros
Friendly and supportive staff, discount card, store is easy to navigate, great hours
Cons
N/a
Very friendly atmosphere
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gungahlin ACT5 June 2019
I was welcomed by all team members as an addition to their store, I learned new skills ie: how to create missing price labels for items on the shelves. I would help to open the store ready for the busy day ahead, I was predominately on the cash register but if it were quiet I would help to replenish the shelve, at keep my area clean at all times. I did not find anything hard about my job, I most enjoyed assisting the customers and ensuring they left us happy and wanting to return to our store again. I was disappointed to leave after such a short time but we had decided to relocate to Queensland.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
there were none

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Reject Shop. Our community is ready to answer.