The Reject Shop Employee Reviews

Great pay, poor management
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merrylands NSW11 February 2018
I worked at this company for 2 years and found they really lacked in loyalty. They would bombard you with hours one week and then the next month or so you'd be without work/income. I tried to juggle work and uni; it was difficult. I would give up going to a lecture at uni to cover a shift they were desperate for someone to cover and they'd never appreciate your effort or hard work. The area manager came in once and told my store manager that he's never seen the registers so neatly kept and well managed how I had run then; yet she still would nitpick at my work and always have an excuse not to roster me. Plain and simple, I had gotten too old and my wage was too high so they hired lots of younger kids and gave them all the shifts. The only good things is the people you work with (besides management) are awesome and lifetime friends, and the pay is probably the best you could find.
bad experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pakenham VIC10 February 2018
only 3 hours a fortnight and no training provided. Only 2 people in store at once, so very busy at the registers, poor management and organizational skills.
A good place to work with a great team
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Western Suburbs VIC29 January 2018
Store visits
Identify business opportunities with store teams
Review compliance to policies and procedures
Admin tasks eg Emails
Getting to every store on a consistent basis to add value
Delivering great results
Working with great teams and developing them to be their best
Pros
Work autonmously
Cons
A lot of travel/driving
Good Employees
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  South Australia28 January 2018
I enjoy the reject shop except when i went for the job interview i was told i would be getting a lot more hours that what im getting.averaging 9-15 hours a week .
Pros
Workers
Cons
Lack of hours
Good Company
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne25 January 2018
Like all retail management positions there is very little work/life balance. However, they do have a good culture and I did enjoy working there.

They don't like to promote from within so once you reach a store manager there is not a lot of room to expand your career.
Pros
Good culture
Cons
poor work life balance
job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Maryborough QLD22 January 2018
great place to work great people to work with but communication and job stability are lacking

helping customers is the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
freindly staff/team
Cons
lacking of hours for workers
Hard workplace environment
Team Member- casual (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga NSW21 January 2018
It was a good job however boring at times in which I didn't really learn a lot. Management was good some of the time however it was difficult to work under them at some stages. The workplace did not have a lot of culture in which the hardest part was working on the registers as it was not made any more efficient. The most enjoyable part was working with a few of the co-workers as it sometimes was fun.
Productive, fast pace place to work
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Maddington WA6 January 2018
Typical day would consist of interaction with customers, replenishment of stock.
During my time there I learnt alot from the basics of retail to management requirements.
When you have a good repore the team members, it can make your day alot of fun and achieve alot more.
Pros
Flexibility with shifts
Cons
long hours, (especially management), not much of a family life
good job for retail
Supervisor, casual (Current Employee) –  Kawana QLD20 December 2017
the reject shop is a very family like environment, for a retail job it is probably up there with some of the best. Although, the training of new staff could be done better and they cant always promise you shifts. but overall the reject shop is better then most retail jobs.
One of the best companies I've worked for
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC10 December 2017
I loved working for The Reject Shop, staff were all treated nicely, good hours, easy and nice jobs, well payed and nice environment. I would of never left other then the fact I moved states away. Great company to work for, trains the staff very well.
Pros
Great hours and good pay
It has pros, and it has cons
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wagga Wagga South NSW8 December 2017
Significant lack of true organisation, leaving a laid back feeling, learnt skills that helped in life, and made several lifelong friends. The culture is friendly, but the disorganisation and lack of notification from up the chain to those lower leaves you feeling not so great about your job.
Pros
Laid back, learnt important skills, made lifelong friends
Cons
Lack of true organisation
great place to work
Sales assistant at the Reject shop Taree (Former Employee) –  Taree NSW5 December 2017
The reject shop is a great place to work as a teenager. the managment staff are great, the hours are usually good but can be tiresome if they don't rotate your duties.
Pros
$25 gift card annually
a workplace
Customer Service & Stocker (Former Employee) –  Glendale NSW30 November 2017
the manager at glendale is really rude towards all new employees, only has favourites towards older employees, the job is good for some points but not all the time
Fun Place to work
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hervey Bay QLD28 November 2017
Work was fun but hours were never constant and manager were rude and never happy and if jobs were not completed managers took it out on the staff in rude ways
Pros
employees got along with each other
Cons
managers were rude and hours werent constant
Very helpful as a first job, gave me experience in retail and in a workplace environment
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Deagon QLD22 November 2017
This job was my first job and I have gained a lot of experience working with customers and other employees through this opportunity. I learnt to deal with customer enquiries and responsibilities and care as an employee.
productive and entertaining work enviroment
staff (Former Employee) –  Perth WA16 November 2017
productive and a fun workplace with funny workmate.
while working at the reject shop i have learned and gained some valuable skills that will contribute to any future role i hold in the retail industry.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hour
only for work experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Werribee VIC16 November 2017
i worked at rejected for only 2 weeks. I gain skills from stacking up shelves and communicating with customers for the first time as it was my first time working.
Good and bad
Team Member (Casual) (Former Employee) –  South Adelaide SA13 November 2017
Shifts for casuals are not guaranteed, didn't get on the roster for 6 weeks, called in twice for others calling up sick. Any other time I was on the roster, I only got 3 hours a week, 5 at the max. Managers always changing which caused inconsistency with the way the store was run. Team members complained about each other behind their backs. Wasn't made to feel a part of the team, always on register by myself with a trolley of stock. Only got taught how to operate register and put out stock so if I was asked to do anything else but didn't know how, they were funny towards me and made me feel dumb for not knowing.
Pros
awesome pay
Cons
hardly any shifts
Stimulating workplace with great employees
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Narre Warren VIC12 November 2017
- A typical day at work includes moving stock around and arranging them on shelves. Meeting new and old customers everyday that are good in nature and polite to staff.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Quite times
Toxic, uncaring, progression nonexistent
Full-Time 2IC (Former Employee) –  Jimboomba QLD10 November 2017
Extremely toxic environment, everyone has something to say about everyone else but only behind their backs. Management just alienate and throw staff around
Cons
Horrible Management, No Progression Incentives, Bad Work Practices

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Reject Shop. Our community is ready to answer.