The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 522 reviews matching the search See all 10,227 reviews
2 small breaks in a day
E-Bay Assistant (Current Employee) –  Noble Park VIC28 March 2019
Good work life balance, morning and afternoon tea breaks, not enough staff to provide extra support, friendly workplace culture, the hardest part of job is always bending down alot, wish they would provide table length support, poor OHS.
Pros
taking breaks
Cons
Poor OHS
Good
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gepps Cross SA25 March 2019
It was a good work environment and taught me how to be a relible and good . i would reccomend working there for experince and a stepping stone into the work force
Pros
good team work
Cons
long days sometimes
we have a good laugh while we are working
Retail Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Redcliffe QLD23 March 2019
we get on with our work by putting tags on clothing, and putting out into the shop,get on well with everyone, how to put clothing into there colours, rags outs that is fun, i work with some amazing people
Pros
buy our lunches
Cons
9 to 5
Overall a decent place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Glen Waverley VIC23 March 2019
I had some fun working at Salvos. If you enjoy standard retail work, then you'll enjoy working here as most of the work is separating different items into their specified area, checking if they're in good condition, and also pricing them. Very repetitive, but some of the items people donate are very interesting!
Table tennis
Minister of Religion 26yrs/ labourer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD17 March 2019
I was a pastor for 26 yrs ministering to people about personal problems,plus preaching ,marriages, funerals.baptisms-plus work also in different factories ,and 9 years at the Sydney Water Board.
Community work
Charity Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Ipswich QLD17 March 2019
It is a good place to not only help your community but to also gain work experience. It has friendly volunteer workers and you get to meet a lot of new people.
Pros
Good place to gain experience and make friends
Cons
No wages volunteer only
Voluntary
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Weston ACT17 March 2019
Contact during this time was with the Salvos stores at Tuggeranong and Weston. Duties involved sorting shelving pricing and service to customers. good working environments
Store person (Former Employee) –  Griffith NSW15 March 2019
Good people to work with. Easy work. Much sorting out with clothes and books. Keeping shopfront tidy. Organising warehouse. Working for a good cause. Good bargains.
Pros
Good people
Cons
No free lunch
Volunteer Role
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT21 February 2019
I was somewhat disappointed with my time here. There was bullying by another older female volunteer who lorded it over other volunteers. Management are aware of what she's doung but do nothing about her. The role was boring, cionsisting of repetitive work with no variety to mix up ones day so therefore no trust in giving volunteers more rewarding duties. In many ways I was treated like a child just out of school. The bully dobbed on me and when a certain female staff member came and told me off I felr like I was back in the classroom.Overall it is a toxic environment run like a military camp. My one extra star is for tbe Manager she was very nice but her assiatant was soneone who did not sit well with me.
Pros
Cons
As above
Great people to work for
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 February 2019
I learned mountains about both myself and the world around me working for the salvation army. It was truly a growing experience for me learning to appreciate everything in life.
Pros
meeting wonderful people
Cons
socialising with people after work and weekend
serving coffee part time volunteer (Former Employee) –  Noble Park VIC11 February 2019
Life is too short if you are worry to much, but need to learn and appreciate what you got is more important than what you haven't got
because depression will build up with negative attitude surrounding you.
Pros
have a drink at the pub after long day work
Cons
enjoy AFL sports
It was good experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Central Coast NSW31 January 2019
I only did some daily activities for them not full time or part time work, However, I did expand my social skills and planning abilities, while also knowing I may have helped someone in need.
learn a lot of new skills regarding retail
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 January 2019
I volunteered here for two years so I would not know anything about the salaries therefore I cannot rate that, Job security/advancement.

Never a dull moment volunteering working for the stores. The people are lovely forged alot of lifelong friends. Every minute of the day there was always something different to do from sorting clothes, to pricing of clothes, shoes, toys etc so much fun learnt so much.

Taught by some lovely people so patient and never pressured or under pressure. Management amazing you have the big bosses coming in to check to see not just how the shop is going but also asking the volunteers if they are okay.

Would love to work there instead of volunteering.
Pros
working with amazing people and giving back to the community
Cons
What are they? nothing here
i was very busy
volunteer work (Former Employee) –  Burwood NSW15 January 2019
whilst at the salvation army as a volunteer I learned time management skills how to pick and pack clothing ,furniture etc .I learned a little about retail eg I had to sort clothing out by size ,gender ,style and used or brand new from the large amount of donations that were sored in the factory and delivered on a daily basis . I also gained confidence although I wasn't getting paid it was all positive for my self asteem.
Pros
discounts
Cons
long hours and travel
Fun time fundraising
Volunteer worker (Former Employee) –  Blacktown NSW31 December 2018
It was a great experience being a volunteer worker at the Salvation Army, I participated in the Red shield appeal door knocks and it was fun working as a team to raise funds
Great modern workplace
Care Service Employee, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Narrabundah ACT28 November 2018
Working with Salvation Army. If you try to forget about the religious aspect of the organisation, it was a great place. I had many days that were filled with laughter and a few that made me sad - this is to be expected in the type of work I did.
I had many chances to learn new skills and took them.
Pros
Free meals and great staff
Cons
residents passing
productive and enjoying work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC28 November 2018
was a enjoying working at the salvation army, as i was given training in areas i lack and was treated well within the work place. the hours and breaks were fair and respectable
Fun and multicultural place
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW23 November 2018
It was a fun experience, where I got to work with new people and help the homeless and the needy. I particularly liked the idea of being able to easily communicate with everyone around me and the staff at the Salvation Army was quite helpful when I was unsure about what to do.
Productive and fun workplace for young volunteerers
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Salisbury Downs SA17 November 2018
In a typical day, I was taught about the systems the store had in place to sell their products. I would independently find small tasks to do or help customers throughout the day. Because of being a volunteer, I wasn't allowed to work as the cashier. Working at Salvos wasn't hard at all, everyone was there to help me and everyone was extremely understanding. I loved being able to interact with the customers during the day and helping them find what they needed
Pros
Friendly staff
Productive and Enjoyable environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 November 2018
A typical day working at the Salvation Army was often a very long day with minimal to no breaks or sitting. However, this was all the a good cause putting the time and effort into making sure there is affordable and good quality items for people that are unable to spend as much money on these items.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours of standing up, but that also contributing into being the most enjoyable part of the job by meeting a wide variety of people from all environments and cultures wanting to start conversation or needing help with specific items.
Pros
Lovely Staff and Customers
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

54.4K