The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

productive and enjoying work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC28 November 2018
was a enjoying working at the salvation army, as i was given training in areas i lack and was treated well within the work place. the hours and breaks were fair and respectable
Fun and multicultural place
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW23 November 2018
It was a fun experience, where I got to work with new people and help the homeless and the needy. I particularly liked the idea of being able to easily communicate with everyone around me and the staff at the Salvation Army was quite helpful when I was unsure about what to do.
Productive and fun workplace for young volunteerers
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Salisbury Downs SA17 November 2018
In a typical day, I was taught about the systems the store had in place to sell their products. I would independently find small tasks to do or help customers throughout the day. Because of being a volunteer, I wasn't allowed to work as the cashier. Working at Salvos wasn't hard at all, everyone was there to help me and everyone was extremely understanding. I loved being able to interact with the customers during the day and helping them find what they needed
Pros
Friendly staff
Productive and Enjoyable environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 November 2018
A typical day working at the Salvation Army was often a very long day with minimal to no breaks or sitting. However, this was all the a good cause putting the time and effort into making sure there is affordable and good quality items for people that are unable to spend as much money on these items.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours of standing up, but that also contributing into being the most enjoyable part of the job by meeting a wide variety of people from all environments and cultures wanting to start conversation or needing help with specific items.
Pros
Lovely Staff and Customers
Cons
Long Hours
Productive, motivating with day to day different jobs titles.
Sales Assistant/ Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Perth WA4 November 2018
my every day routine is different by each day, everyday i learn to from customers and from my peers. it is good to see how well manage the store is. from a volunteer's perspective i have had the pleasure working with all cultures and characters in this dynamic workplace.
the hardest part of this job is having to leave due to personal reasons. the most enjoyable part of the job is forming a relationship with my co-workers and also with customers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no salary
Lovely people doing great job
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA30 October 2018
I am happy I had a chance to be part of The Salvation Army, working with kind, caring people, my family and I needed to move very far, so cannot continue.
Pros
Friendly environment, free coffee, cookies
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Campbellfield VIC30 October 2018
when i worked at the salvation army i learnt the kills of teamwork, and everyone i worked with were amazing, they were all very helpful and kind towards me.
Pros
amazing people to work with
Cons
didnt work there longer
Great experience
Fundraising volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 October 2018
I was only a volunteer for the Salvos, but the entire experience felt extremely rewarding, as you work in a very close group to raise money for a great cause.
Pros
Become closer to different people
Cons
Requires you to be fit and lively for long hours
Volunteer sales
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Neutral Bay NSW24 October 2018
Good range of products and good flow of customers in shop.
Manager good in management.
We had xmas dinner as appreciation for our volunteering.
great
Great working environment
HOME AND COMUNNITY HEALTH CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Riverview, Ipswich, Queensland21 October 2018
Enjoy the work, really like the diversity of personality from both clientele and staff members. Only downside not consistent work without own vehicle
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Not enough hours for me
productive
worker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC20 October 2018
I am progressive, and contribute to the organisation. A teamwork-oriented environment in a company that empowers employees to create and take initiatives. thanks
Decisions that are made make no sense
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 October 2018
The decisions that are made make no financial or practical sense. The decisions pay little attention to what has worked well but reflect the personal opinions of the decision makers!
Pros
The people working on the ground are wonderful
Cons
The military connotations carry through to their treatment of staff., which is very suppressive
Good place to do volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kings Park SA17 October 2018
Good place to do volunteering. Nice people and great opportunities available. I work at the front of the shop, greeting customers and processing their sales.
productive and well run place
Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Pooraka SA16 October 2018
a typical day at work could consist of many things from sorting and pricing clothes to sorting brick a brack and then finding somewhere on the showroom floor to put it to going out on the truck and doing home deliveries. place is great everyone's easy going. hardest part is lifting heavy stuff probably also the most enjoyable
being a volunteer in a op shop
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 October 2018
Being a volunteer in a op shop can be a great experience as you get to met and greet new people and work with many different people. Volunteering for 5 years once a week you learn how communication skills, customer service, stock control, cleaning and other retail jobs.
Pros
meting new people
Cons
no cons
Amazing work place
CSE (Former Employee) –  Collaroy NSW15 October 2018
Beautiful aged care Facility only thing lacking is the management etc. Coworkers are awsome friendly esp the RNs. They help eachother alot like teamwork. Only thing is some coworkers dont know how to respect others by speaking at their own tongue language other then that everything's spot on
Friendly charitable environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Epping NSW3 October 2018
Learnt that some of the locals are regular donors of Salvation Army.
With two other friends, we all door-knocked within a delegated area. The least favourable thing that can ever happen on a door-knocking fundraiser is not receiving a response to your doorknock. Interesting thing is some houses have the coolest doorbells out there. Best thing is that we are rewarded with a free celebratory BBQ.
Pros
free BBQ at the end
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Moree NSW26 September 2018
Able to help people, great volunteering experience, lovely people to work for, average paced, so your not overworking yourself, great opportunity to put back into your community.
Pros
Being able to put back into the community
Cons
was a good place to start learning skills in retail
Storeperson (Former Employee) –  Belconnen ACT20 September 2018
i really liked doing voluntary work their , a good place to start a career in-retail to gain more skills in that area .As well as the other staff were always willing to help and not judge anyone
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
long days
Great place where people care about you
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Gosford NSW16 September 2018
I Volunteer on the sound desk regularly and other random task like working a food stand or collecting for the Red Shield Appeal as they appear. Its got a great group of people and its never makes you feel like quitting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

54K