The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Fun
Retail Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mordialloc VIC8 August 2018
The other volunteers there were always welcoming and approachable, and the times are quite flexible. You get to know regulars and feel morally benefited. When I was there, presentation was fantastic and storage organisation was up to standard.
it was fun caring and inviting
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth South WA7 August 2018
i learnt how to sort cloth very good work eathices greeting customs learning the cash register.helping customs being mindful of others working one on one and in a team.
Pros
working with a intelligent manger .
Staff are Rude & Items way over priced
Bad (Former Employee) –  Heidelberg VIC1 August 2018
I’ve really noticed over the past few years that items or should I say rubbish way over priced.

If these items have been donated wouldn’t it be better to make prices affordable?
The clothing smells & worn out & most pretty much not worth $1.
I found Kmart to be heaps cheaper & it’s brand new.

I’m sure some people do Donate expensive & collectable items. But the volenteers take
Pros
Not
Cons
Volunteer
Educational employment
Employment consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto NSW31 July 2018
Able to identify with clients their needs also able to support individuals to gain employment and have a better quality of life. The salvation army had assisted my own development in many aspects it had give my life a path to follow (Not knowing that at the time) my career path had changed for the better.
Pros
Meeting interesting people with stories of their life struggles
Cons
Being transfered throughtout the Newcastle area
interesting experiance
Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Canning Vale WA18 July 2018
The work I did with the Salvo Stores was an interesting experience.
Lots of different people and different places to go.
While the work was physically demanding, I enjoyed being out on the road driving 10Tonne truck.
great place to volunteer
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Mermaid Beach QLD8 July 2018
sort through donations then tag then place in shop.
customer service and delivery organizing on furniture.
allpoint of sales duties including telephone inquiries
no room for advancement as a volunteer..
Pros
customer service
Cons
no salary
Fun workplace with friendly employer
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Townsville QLD29 June 2018
I had to do work for the dole and was glad I choose to do it at Salvos. They had a lot of friendly people who works there even the store manager was awesome.
Fun and productive work environment
Volunteer - Retail Merchandising (Former Employee) –  minchinbury nsw27 June 2018
putting products out on shelves
learned how they organise the clothing in the warehouse
hardest part about the job is organising the colours of the clothes and knowing where to put them on the shopfront
the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and helping customers
Fun and productive workplace
Current Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lithogw NSW 279025 June 2018
I learned more about customer service and there needs. A typical day involved customer service, cleaning and moving some furniture. I also done some banking for the manager.
Pros
Good hours/good crew to work with.
Cons
No longer with the Salvation Army.
great experience working there, especially my fellow employees.
Warehouse /Customer Service/ Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marayong NSW24 June 2018
a lot of diversity there, easy going people who are very understanding, always helping out when there is a problem, the job set out was very straight forward, often great customers and also great customer service.
Lots of politics
A senior role responsible for marketing (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW22 June 2018
A fabulous cause undermined by politics, poor ethics and weak leadership. turbulent environment during national merger with a lack of adherence to change management best practice.
Great workplace with friendly staff
SALES ASSISTANT - VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Newcastle NSW20 June 2018
A typical day at work would be sorting through donations, organising and sticking the store and assisting customers. I learnt how to operate a cash register and the skills involved in customer service. The management was excellent and considerate if I could not make it to a shift. The workplace culture was very relaxed but hardworking. Everyone has a role to play in the store and organisation was integral as there was a lot to be done. The hardest part of the job was sorting through the huge number of donations that come in as some of these donations were also not suitable for the store at all. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with staff and customers.
Positive work place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Windsor NSW19 June 2018
The Salvation Army were supportive and encouraging and I will be looking to gain further experience by volunteering when other projects become available.
Very unfriendly working environement
Employment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Maitland NSW19 June 2018
Worked as an Employment Consultant. A culture of covert exclusion and bullying from long-term staff. Similar to working on a production line, poor management and HR. A new employee given the worst clients from everyone else's caseload and expected to meet targets. No proper training or support. No receptionist so whilst conducting one to one appointments with clients, also had to go to front counter and answer incoming calls. Case workers treated clients terribly. A lot of backbiting from staff about other staff and clients. Overall a terrible experience.
Pros
Being able to help the clients.Able to leave the office at lunch break and the wages were good
Cons
Hostile and toxic work environment, unfriendly staff and unsupportive management and HR department
fun workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  South Australia15 June 2018
A typical day would be bringing in donations, pricing items and putting clothing on racks as well as putting items on shelves. I learnt how to communicate with customers.
Pros
break time
Cons
when people throw donations on the floor without bags
Good work organisation and customer services
Customer service (Former Employee) –  The Salvation Army Manduarh14 June 2018
Every Salvation Army employee/volunteer strives to satisfy customers and have a wide variety of produces customers can buy, each donation is carefully sorted through putting the best out for customers to buy. The employees were fun to work with are hardworking and put 100% effort in what they done for the store.
Challenging and Busy
Post Placement/Work for the Dole Consultant (Former Employee) –  Modbury SA11 June 2018
Challenging and fast paced industry. Supportive group of people to work with. On the job training. I learnt a lot about my role. Management was supportive in my role. Hardest part of job was the new role i was given as a Work for the Dole Consultant as it was a new program in the company
Fun workplace, happy smiling people.Work together and communications
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Baldivis WA10 June 2018
Very warm and welcoming store. Communication is the keys to help workers as well as customers.
To ensure the safety of our colleagues and customers in the store.
Calm job with good skills teaching
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wynnum QLD7 June 2018
Was a lovely environment to work in and enjoyed my time volunteering there. The other employees were really nice and the job was easy to do and I received very good training from the other staff.
Productive,fun and calming work environment
Casual Volunteer worker (Former Employee) –  Biggera Waters QLD 421629 May 2018
I enjoyed working at the salvation army because it was in a calming environment to be in. A typical day of work would consist of helping the customers, managing stock with in the store, changing the display if needed, cleaning or wiping down surfaces, and help organise the stock in the back of the store.
Pros
Work experience in a retail envronment
Cons
Standing for a long period of time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

53.7K