The Salvation Army Employee Reviews

Found 512 reviews matching the search See all 9,994 reviews
socialising with people after work and weekend
serving coffee part time volunteer (Former Employee) –  Noble Park VIC11 February 2019
Life is too short if you are worry to much, but need to learn and appreciate what you got is more important than what you haven't got
because depression will build up with negative attitude surrounding you.
Pros
have a drink at the pub after long day work
Cons
enjoy AFL sports
It was good experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Central Coast NSW31 January 2019
I only did some daily activities for them not full time or part time work, However, I did expand my social skills and planning abilities, while also knowing I may have helped someone in need.
learn a lot of new skills regarding retail
RETAIL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 January 2019
I volunteered here for two years so I would not know anything about the salaries therefore I cannot rate that, Job security/advancement.

Never a dull moment volunteering working for the stores. The people are lovely forged alot of lifelong friends. Every minute of the day there was always something different to do from sorting clothes, to pricing of clothes, shoes, toys etc so much fun learnt so much.

Taught by some lovely people so patient and never pressured or under pressure. Management amazing you have the big bosses coming in to check to see not just how the shop is going but also asking the volunteers if they are okay.

Would love to work there instead of volunteering.
Pros
working with amazing people and giving back to the community
Cons
What are they? nothing here
i was very busy
volunteer work (Former Employee) –  Burwood NSW15 January 2019
whilst at the salvation army as a volunteer I learned time management skills how to pick and pack clothing ,furniture etc .I learned a little about retail eg I had to sort clothing out by size ,gender ,style and used or brand new from the large amount of donations that were sored in the factory and delivered on a daily basis . I also gained confidence although I wasn't getting paid it was all positive for my self asteem.
Pros
discounts
Cons
long hours and travel
Fun time fundraising
Volunteer worker (Former Employee) –  Blacktown NSW31 December 2018
It was a great experience being a volunteer worker at the Salvation Army, I participated in the Red shield appeal door knocks and it was fun working as a team to raise funds
Great modern workplace
Care Service Employee, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Narrabundah ACT28 November 2018
Working with Salvation Army. If you try to forget about the religious aspect of the organisation, it was a great place. I had many days that were filled with laughter and a few that made me sad - this is to be expected in the type of work I did.
I had many chances to learn new skills and took them.
Pros
Free meals and great staff
Cons
residents passing
productive and enjoying work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ballarat VIC28 November 2018
was a enjoying working at the salvation army, as i was given training in areas i lack and was treated well within the work place. the hours and breaks were fair and respectable
Fun and multicultural place
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW23 November 2018
It was a fun experience, where I got to work with new people and help the homeless and the needy. I particularly liked the idea of being able to easily communicate with everyone around me and the staff at the Salvation Army was quite helpful when I was unsure about what to do.
Productive and fun workplace for young volunteerers
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Salisbury Downs SA17 November 2018
In a typical day, I was taught about the systems the store had in place to sell their products. I would independently find small tasks to do or help customers throughout the day. Because of being a volunteer, I wasn't allowed to work as the cashier. Working at Salvos wasn't hard at all, everyone was there to help me and everyone was extremely understanding. I loved being able to interact with the customers during the day and helping them find what they needed
Pros
Friendly staff
Productive and Enjoyable environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Perth WA6 November 2018
A typical day working at the Salvation Army was often a very long day with minimal to no breaks or sitting. However, this was all the a good cause putting the time and effort into making sure there is affordable and good quality items for people that are unable to spend as much money on these items.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours of standing up, but that also contributing into being the most enjoyable part of the job by meeting a wide variety of people from all environments and cultures wanting to start conversation or needing help with specific items.
Pros
Lovely Staff and Customers
Cons
Long Hours
Productive, motivating with day to day different jobs titles.
Sales Assistant/ Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Perth WA4 November 2018
my every day routine is different by each day, everyday i learn to from customers and from my peers. it is good to see how well manage the store is. from a volunteer's perspective i have had the pleasure working with all cultures and characters in this dynamic workplace.
the hardest part of this job is having to leave due to personal reasons. the most enjoyable part of the job is forming a relationship with my co-workers and also with customers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no salary
Lovely people doing great job
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth WA30 October 2018
I am happy I had a chance to be part of The Salvation Army, working with kind, caring people, my family and I needed to move very far, so cannot continue.
Pros
Friendly environment, free coffee, cookies
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Campbellfield VIC30 October 2018
when i worked at the salvation army i learnt the kills of teamwork, and everyone i worked with were amazing, they were all very helpful and kind towards me.
Pros
amazing people to work with
Cons
didnt work there longer
Great experience
Fundraising volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW28 October 2018
I was only a volunteer for the Salvos, but the entire experience felt extremely rewarding, as you work in a very close group to raise money for a great cause.
Pros
Become closer to different people
Cons
Requires you to be fit and lively for long hours
Volunteer sales
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Neutral Bay NSW24 October 2018
Good range of products and good flow of customers in shop.
Manager good in management.
We had xmas dinner as appreciation for our volunteering.
great
Great working environment
HOME AND COMUNNITY HEALTH CARE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Riverview, Ipswich, Queensland21 October 2018
Enjoy the work, really like the diversity of personality from both clientele and staff members. Only downside not consistent work without own vehicle
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
Not enough hours for me
productive
worker (Former Employee) –  Melbourne Eastern Suburbs VIC20 October 2018
I am progressive, and contribute to the organisation. A teamwork-oriented environment in a company that empowers employees to create and take initiatives. thanks
Decisions that are made make no sense
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 October 2018
The decisions that are made make no financial or practical sense. The decisions pay little attention to what has worked well but reflect the personal opinions of the decision makers!
Pros
The people working on the ground are wonderful
Cons
The military connotations carry through to their treatment of staff., which is very suppressive
Good place to do volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Kings Park SA17 October 2018
Good place to do volunteering. Nice people and great opportunities available. I work at the front of the shop, greeting customers and processing their sales.
productive and well run place
Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Pooraka SA16 October 2018
a typical day at work could consist of many things from sorting and pricing clothes to sorting brick a brack and then finding somewhere on the showroom floor to put it to going out on the truck and doing home deliveries. place is great everyone's easy going. hardest part is lifting heavy stuff probably also the most enjoyable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Salvation Army. Our community is ready to answer.

54.3K