The Salvation Army
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from The Salvation Army:

The Salvation Army Pay & Benefits reviews

Australia678 reviews
Salvation Army is a volunteer organisation which raises money for charity by selling donations made by the community to the community. Salvation Army is friendly and relaxing place of work.
You either get it or you don't, but if you do, its a great team of like minded people, a large and varied organisation. It has faith based elements, but many non-faith based jobs too, so it suits all types who want to do caring work that makes a real difference. They are an inclusive employer and workplace and have a really positive culture.
Pros
Sense of purpose, many lovely people
Cons
not for profit = lower salary for work than you would get in different organisations, they have a lean workforce, I was made redundant
Little knowledge of professional practices in the workplace when dealing with volunteers and their safety. Support systems for employees was in conflict with volunteer structure.
Pros
Community benefits
Cons
No resources for employees/volunteers
I do sorting of donated goods. I do not get paid because I am on Job Search Allowance. I work only 2 full days in a week. I am allowed to work 15 hours a week.
Enjoyed my time at the salvation army. Had fun working there on the weekend. However, I was volunteering for experience and is now looking for paid employment.
Working at the Salvation Army is a rewarding job. You are helping to raise money for people in need You are always busy and you get to interact with the general public too.
The salvation army is a great job the only reason why I am looking for more work is there isn't alot of hours.
I cant afford to pay bills and or save any money.
Good staff to resident ratios.
New management, good changes coming

Questionable team work

Most RNs good, others treat carers like rubbish and inferior to them.

Shifts are not shared fairly

Residents not assessed fairly.
Eg absconding resident put in low care and residents on sling put in low care set up.
really good happy to work and easy. I don't think so they paid for a volunteer. I chose to work the salvation army because they help a lot people that why I donate my time because I don't have money.
the salvation army is very good place to work with a very good team environment. i've been at 3 locations and each one is very good. i look forward to working there again.
Pros
can buy clothes
Cons
always on feet
they supplied use with breakfast and lunch, they were happy, joyful and caring. there stock was well and kept tight and clean. the hardest part was how young i was at the time.
Money oriented, Salvation Army values disregarded.
They do not care about staff, poor job security, management make it clear to staff that everyone is replaceable.
Pros
Salary packaging
Cons
Poor and unsupportive management.
A wonderful and rewarding organization to work for, to bring so much hope, and support to the community who is in deep need. A very supportive environment, great flexibility and lots of perks including salary packaging.
Pros
Lots of breaks and supervision
Cons
Too far from home.
I enjoyed my coworkers and managers, it was a great environment to work in. I was a volunteer so I wasn't paid a salary but those that were seemed happy.
not there anymore i have left the job
i have learned to make coffee

always busy
or sometimes not busy at all

it was fun working there through
Pros
free lunches
Cons
It was a good work environment and taught me how to be a relible and good . i would reccomend working there for experince and a stepping stone into the work force
Pros
good team work
Cons
long days sometimes
Good people to work with. Easy work. Much sorting out with clothes and books. Keeping shopfront tidy. Organising warehouse. Working for a good cause. Good bargains.
Pros
Good people
Cons
No free lunch
It was a great experience being a volunteer worker at the Salvation Army, I participated in the Red shield appeal door knocks and it was fun working as a team to raise funds
I volunteered to door knock, handing out pamphlets. Although it did not pay i learned valuable people skills. the hours were long especially in the summer but it was good nonetheless.
was a enjoying working at the salvation army, as i was given training in areas i lack and was treated well within the work place. the hours and breaks were fair and respectable
We had a small party with the residents. We all were very excited and happy. I noticed that most of the residents came to join them which made me more happy for them. However, I was sad for the other residents who were missing their family.
Pros
free gifts