The University of Queensland

The University of Queensland Employee Reviews

Australia109 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Productive in academic

I am a medical doctor from Sri Lanka, currently working at UQ to complete my post-doc overseas training. When considering the UQ premises, it's really a safe place to work with a multicultural background. Respect each other, and there are so many opportunities to learn. The management team is really helpful and fair.We have weekly seminars and divisional meetings for professional development. I enjoy the stay with the team.

Pros

Safe work place

Bad place to work

I know the work at the UQ is terribly troublesome. At the first glance, it is quite unstable, since there is no specific budget to support the PhD candidates and researchers for even a short term job. In fact it is not a productive place to supply a stable budget for the employees. Especially for PhD candidates who are the main workforce of research purposes. By contrast, too much high salary and job stability is secured for the managers, and advisors who hold some simple jobs such as only speaking in defective meetings and email communications during a working day. They are quite rude toward the research candidates and humiliate whenever they want. Moreover, they don't have scientific command and competency as their affiliations (professor, etc.) imply. Nepotism is the most important factor in the university's selection criteria for the roles' candidates.

Pros

I guess nothing

Cons

Everything I wrote in the above text.

Competitive, toxic culture

I guess it depends on which team/group you work with but as for me, my advice is to just Work and go home, don't report bad behavior you've experienced or witness or you will get into so much extra unnecessary drama and trouble.

Pros

Nice campus

Cons

No proper staff support

Out of common sense, Racism, Bullying, Bureaucracy.

Interesting place but more on the negative side. Most staff work under stress, without vision and open talks among colleagues. Come to work here and you will regret it. Best wishes.

Excellent place for researchers

An excellent university with very professional management and advisors.Lab facilities are up to date. The quality of the research is very good. I have enjoyed working at UQ. The drawback is the limited opportunity for longer-term contracts.

Hierarchical bullying and restricted thinking

In my case things seemed great at first, but it became apparent, after a year or so, there is a pretty strong bullying culture. Not amongst peers, but from those directly above you in the hierarchy. Cooperation and creative exchange in terms of research was basically completely discouraged, neither was there real room for creative thinking (thus no innovation).

Pros

UQ has a good name, most people are lovely.

Cons

Culture is toxic, and exploitative.

Lots to learn, flexible timing, fun working as a team

The schedule is totally flexible. No matter the starting time at 8am or 12pm, finishing the job for the day is what it's all about. Lots of machines to learn from. Good time to hone presentation skills.

Pros

Flexible timing

Cons

The machines in laboratory could take long hours

Don't work here as a casual

I worked at UQ as a casual for about 3 years until June 2020 due to the Coronavirus. I had been promised by my manager last year that he would make me a permanent employee but that never happened and when the Coronavirus hit, I lost my job. UQ let go all casuals effective immediately and now we are all stuck with no job prospects. Permanent staff have been offered the chance of redeployment and they can apply for internal only jobs but casuals cannot. UQ does not treat casual staff with integrity and I would not recommend anyone works here as a casual staff member!

Pros

Reasonable work-life balance

Cons

Lazy permanent staff, poor treatment of casuals, lack of job security

Ambiente grato, ordenado y colaborativo

Junto con mi grupo de trabajo experimentamos un estándar inigualable entre los diversos centros de investigación

Pros

Orden

An amazing experience

Thanks to working at the University of Queensland as a welfare officer, I have learnt lots of useful skills, for ex. customer service, problems solving, team work and professional training course design.

UQ is a great place to work

UQ is a world leader in research and has excellent opportunities. The employees are appreciated and their concerns or suggestions were taken seriously.

Busy job with lots of student contact

This is a busy and complex role juggling the paperwork requirements of student-run clinics including overseeing student learning and providing additional assistance to those who are struggling, and completing regular detailed student assessments.

Exciting collaborative opportunities

UQ provides exciting, although temporary, opportunities for work. Casual Hire is the standard method for employees to be brought on, and it is typically for a term of hours or per semester, as budget allocations often are prohibitive towards longer engagements.

Great place to work. Flexible environment

The job is interesting and you want to push yourself to give the best experience to students. As a casual employee, you are typically giving of your time and effort over & above a full-time workload; however it is work it to contribute and be at the leading edge of thinking.

wonderful place to work

The University of Queensland is a great place to work, with plenty of incentives and benefits to staff to encourage productivity and boost morale. UQ offers support to all staff, on a range of levels, and provides staff with outstanding flexibility most other employers do not. I had a great time working at UQ.

IT Help technician

I found the work and environment both rewarding and interesting - I learnt a lot and would enjoy the opportunity to continue in this learning environment

Relaxed and collaborative working environment

A typical day at work for me involves a large number of emails and minimal phone calls. The workplace culture is very family orientated and flexible, which is great for me as I own a small business.

was ok

it was an okay place to work. people could be a bit up themselves, and full of their own self-importance. aside from that though it was pretty solid..

Nice working environment

Open to multi-culture and different ideas or habits. Respects there staffs, and nice working environment. Happy place for work. Staffs are nice and friendly.

challenging and encouraging environment

The work environment was highly competitive and encouraged you to give your best. I was also great with colleagues since it was also friendly. Great organisation and management from leaders and coordinators.

Great place to work with plenty of growth opportunities

Pros

Competitive salary; structure; flexibility

Cons

Professional staff aren't treated the same as academic staff - greater divide between equality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Queensland. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare The University of Queensland with

Learn about The University of Queensland in popular locations

• The University of Queensland
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?