The University of Queensland
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The University of Queensland Employee Reviews

Australia94 reviews
Busy job with lots of student contact
This is a busy and complex role juggling the paperwork requirements of student-run clinics including overseeing student learning and providing additional assistance to those who are struggling, and completing regular detailed student assessments.
Exciting collaborative opportunities
UQ provides exciting, although temporary, opportunities for work. Casual Hire is the standard method for employees to be brought on, and it is typically for a term of hours or per semester, as budget allocations often are prohibitive towards longer engagements.
Great place to work. Flexible environment
The job is interesting and you want to push yourself to give the best experience to students. As a casual employee, you are typically giving of your time and effort over & above a full-time workload; however it is work it to contribute and be at the leading edge of thinking.
wonderful place to work
The University of Queensland is a great place to work, with plenty of incentives and benefits to staff to encourage productivity and boost morale. UQ offers support to all staff, on a range of levels, and provides staff with outstanding flexibility most other employers do not. I had a great time working at UQ.
IT Help technician
I found the work and environment both rewarding and interesting - I learnt a lot and would enjoy the opportunity to continue in this learning environment
Relaxed and collaborative working environment
A typical day at work for me involves a large number of emails and minimal phone calls. The workplace culture is very family orientated and flexible, which is great for me as I own a small business.
was ok
it was an okay place to work. people could be a bit up themselves, and full of their own self-importance. aside from that though it was pretty solid..
Nice working environment
Open to multi-culture and different ideas or habits. Respects there staffs, and nice working environment. Happy place for work. Staffs are nice and friendly.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at The University of Queensland?
challenging and encouraging environment
The work environment was highly competitive and encouraged you to give your best. I was also great with colleagues since it was also friendly.
Great organisation and management from leaders and coordinators.
Great place to work with plenty of growth opportunities

Pros
Competitive salary; structure; flexibility
Cons
Professional staff aren't treated the same as academic staff - greater divide between equality
Productive and great workplace
I had a great time working at UQ. I am very blessed to have a great and kind mentor/supervisors during my time working at UQ. I also had the chance to gain my knowledge and experience.
good pay and benefit
The university in Australia often pays well to postdoc fellows. So does UQ, which is a top university in oz. Competition is a little intense, for grants, funding, publications, etc.
Good
working in the university enjoyable as it allowed me to learn new things and accomplish more goals and help me to learn more skills and allowed me to grow as individual
UQ has a very big campus, with very nice gardens.
UQ has a very big campus, with very nice gardens.
However when it comes to the buildings a lot of them have fixtures and amenities that seem like they’re from the 1970s. In other words a lot of there rooms are old fashioned, but not the good kind of old fashioned.

The university created it’s own company for printing called coop, which exists to sell overpriced course booklets with a plastic binder- something like 17$- that you could most likely print off yourself at a normal printer for 5$.

Then there’s the bookshop where you can find other books and textbooks that are bruited by the lecturers, mainly because they co-wrote them and want you to buy their book.

You must be very careful when it comes to borrowing books, because if the book you borrowed gets recalled and you don’t check your emails the library will reduce the time you can borrow it, and if it is past 7 days after the altered due date then you will incur an obligatory 20$ ‘processing fee’. In other words UQ is trying to bleed you of everything you are worth by any means necessary, while supplying some very talented, and at other times mediocre teaching staff; well from my experience anyway.
Great employer
Great place to become a PASS leader, full of eager to learn students and many opportunities in teaching. They provide you with many resources as a PASS leader.
Very nice place to work
Very good University to work. Good work life balance and professional growth. A reputed University of Australia. Very cooperative staff. I didn't face any difficulty working here.
Flexible working hours
You are able to manage your working loads without pressure from the superior. However, it totally depends on who is your boss. Working environment is good, people are friendly and like to help each other (in some groups)
Perfect working environment
Productive and fun when there are many different researchers with different backgrounds working together in the same environment, sharing funny stories everyday in leisure time.
Producive and organized workplace
A very good place to work. Very organized. I learned a lot, worked with very new laboratory machines that I've never thought I'll work. I learned more about different cultures and respect. The workplace used to be calm and friendly. The tearoom used to be a place to eat our lunch and make friends. The hardest part of the job was the beginning, just to be in use with the routine, safety inductions and all rules. And the most enjoyable job part was seeing my research developing, was really exciting!!
Pros
Always a friendly atmosphere
Cons
work by myself sometimes
My opinion of this position was one of favour. I enjoyed a great salary, and workplace conditions. I advanced to Senior Security Officer/Supervisor .
The shifts comprised a 24/7 rotating roster.
Each shift involved mobile patrols, foot patrols and comms room operations.

Management were very diligent and all about workplace health and safety.

I made some very good friends as well as work colleagues during my time.

The downside to this position was the shift rotations and very little down time between shift changes.

I enjoyed a working with some great people.
Pros
Great work colleagues and salary
Cons
Shift changes
A great place to work
I had the great opportunity to research literary studies and share my knowledge at the national and international conferences with like-minded scholars.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Queensland. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3