The University of Queensland
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The University of Queensland Employee Reviews

Thanks to working at the University of Queensland as a welfare officer, I have learnt lots of useful skills, for ex. customer service, problems solving, team work and professional training course design.
I worked at UQ as a casual for about 3 years until June 2020 due to the Coronavirus. I had been promised by my manager last year that he would make me a permanent employee but that never happened and when the Coronavirus hit, I lost my job. UQ let go all casuals effective immediately and now we are all stuck with no job prospects. Permanent staff have been offered the chance of redeployment and they can apply for internal only jobs but casuals cannot. UQ does not treat casual staff with integrity and I would not recommend anyone works here as a casual staff member!
Pros
Reasonable work-life balance
Cons
Lazy permanent staff, poor treatment of casuals, lack of job security
Junto con mi grupo de trabajo experimentamos un estándar inigualable entre los diversos centros de investigación
Pros
Orden
UQ is a world leader in research and has excellent opportunities. The employees are appreciated and their concerns or suggestions were taken seriously.
This is a busy and complex role juggling the paperwork requirements of student-run clinics including overseeing student learning and providing additional assistance to those who are struggling, and completing regular detailed student assessments.
UQ provides exciting, although temporary, opportunities for work. Casual Hire is the standard method for employees to be brought on, and it is typically for a term of hours or per semester, as budget allocations often are prohibitive towards longer engagements.
The job is interesting and you want to push yourself to give the best experience to students. As a casual employee, you are typically giving of your time and effort over & above a full-time workload; however it is work it to contribute and be at the leading edge of thinking.
The University of Queensland is a great place to work, with plenty of incentives and benefits to staff to encourage productivity and boost morale. UQ offers support to all staff, on a range of levels, and provides staff with outstanding flexibility most other employers do not. I had a great time working at UQ.
I found the work and environment both rewarding and interesting - I learnt a lot and would enjoy the opportunity to continue in this learning environment
A typical day at work for me involves a large number of emails and minimal phone calls. The workplace culture is very family orientated and flexible, which is great for me as I own a small business.
it was an okay place to work. people could be a bit up themselves, and full of their own self-importance. aside from that though it was pretty solid..
Open to multi-culture and different ideas or habits. Respects there staffs, and nice working environment. Happy place for work. Staffs are nice and friendly.
The work environment was highly competitive and encouraged you to give your best. I was also great with colleagues since it was also friendly. Great organisation and management from leaders and coordinators.
Pros
Competitive salary; structure; flexibility
Cons
Professional staff aren't treated the same as academic staff - greater divide between equality
I had a great time working at UQ. I am very blessed to have a great and kind mentor/supervisors during my time working at UQ. I also had the chance to gain my knowledge and experience.
The university in Australia often pays well to postdoc fellows. So does UQ, which is a top university in oz. Competition is a little intense, for grants, funding, publications, etc.
working in the university enjoyable as it allowed me to learn new things and accomplish more goals and help me to learn more skills and allowed me to grow as individual
UQ has a very big campus, with very nice gardens. However when it comes to the buildings a lot of them have fixtures and amenities that seem like they’re from the 1970s. In other words a lot of there rooms are old fashioned, but not the good kind of old fashioned. The university created it’s own company for printing called coop, which exists to sell overpriced course booklets with a plastic binder- something like 17$- that you could most likely print off yourself at a normal printer for 5$. Then there’s the bookshop where you can find other books and textbooks that are bruited by the lecturers, mainly because they co-wrote them and want you to buy their book. You must be very careful when it comes to borrowing books, because if the book you borrowed gets recalled and you don’t check your emails the library will reduce the time you can borrow it, and if it is past 7 days after the altered due date then you will incur an obligatory 20$ ‘processing fee’. In other words UQ is trying to bleed you of everything you are worth by any means necessary, while supplying some very talented, and at other times mediocre teaching staff; well from my experience anyway.
Great place to become a PASS leader, full of eager to learn students and many opportunities in teaching. They provide you with many resources as a PASS leader.
Very good University to work. Good work life balance and professional growth. A reputed University of Australia. Very cooperative staff. I didn't face any difficulty working here.
You are able to manage your working loads without pressure from the superior. However, it totally depends on who is your boss. Working environment is good, people are friendly and like to help each other (in some groups)