The University of Queensland Employee Reviews in St Lucia QLD

A great place to work
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD13 January 2019
I had the great opportunity to research literary studies and share my knowledge at the national and international conferences with like-minded scholars.
productive and fun workplace
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD11 November 2018
It is my pleasure to be a volunteer and work for HASS Crew and UQ Volunteering. I have learned so many things from the work, such as communication skills, networks, and the way working in efficiency. In the meantime, I had a great time working with other volunteers. I have also learned so many things from these volunteers and their cultures. It was an enjoyable experience.
Pros
free food
Cons
No cons
Terrible place to work
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD27 October 2018
I am a former student and employee. Both my student time and my employment there was an awful experience. There was no work-life balance, the benefits were good, no opportunity for advancement as a professional staffer, management was terrible and so was the job culture (seemed the bullies got rewarded).
Great workplace
Research Assistant (Casual) (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD29 July 2018
Low to Medium Workload.
Friendly supervisors
Well-paid
Great work-life balance
Flexible working hours
Great workplace atmosphere and low pressure
High tolerance to errors and willingness to train the new staff
Working culture good, nice environment, was made Redundant due to restructure at UQ.
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD5 December 2017
Good working condition at St. Lucia, The University of Queensland.

My role was Finance Officer within the Scholarships Unit of DVC (EE) portfolio.

I managed the Australia Awards Scholarships financials, including quarterly invoicing, managing student allowances and other scholarship related financial activites and payments.
Productive and fun workplace.
Student Relations Network Call Crew (Current Employee) –  St Lucia QLD30 October 2017
Amazing culture and extremely enjoyable to come to work. I felt constantly supported and able to grow as a person through the job. They provided plenty of training.
Excellent colleagues, ruthless senior managers, toxic work culture
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD3 July 2017
Lovely campus. Good colleagues. Stimulating and challenging work. But toxic work culture, incredibly conservative, corporate, damaging. I would not recommend it, even if the salary is good and the job looks fantastic in paper. Crushing place, particularly for younger professionals who will be used and abused in a difficult environment for older and seasoned colleagues.
Pros
good salary
Cons
crushing toxic culture, bullying galore
A great place to work, save the spineless management!
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD16 May 2017
The University is a beautifully presented workplace with many great amenities for Staff and Students alike.
Conditions are very good, with a fair pay-structure of penalties for overtime and accumulated extra-hours can be taken as flexi-hours. Typically, a working day is 7.25 hours.
Work-life balance is encouraged.
I found the majority of my colleagues to be honest and friendly, which made going to work a pleasure.

The caveat comes into play when considering what school you happen to be employed with, and importantly, whether previous staff have coveted your role for themselves.

In my experience, some management displayed cowardice and deception which could only be described as breathtaking, but alas, managers are not necessarily leaders.

Academic Staff tend to be over-worked and generally under-appreciated, Professional Staff may enjoy a relaxed work atmosphere, but this also seems dependent upon what school they are employed within, and the culture within that particular faculty.

If you plan to work at U.Q, you should seriously consider joining the Union on your first day. For if someone doesn't like your shoes, your hair-style, etc, you may not get past the probationary period.
Pros
Good Conditions and amenities
Cons
Some staff are relentlessly overworked, elements of deception within workplace culture
Flexible teaching environment
Casual Tutor (Current Employee) –  St Lucia QLD14 November 2016
Tutoring is flexible around study hours and
Learned how to manage time, see content in different perspectives.
Time allocation depends on how many classes you are willing to teach and the number of students teaching, especially with non-class duties.
Hardest part is preparing and going in the front of the classroom.
Enjoyable part is actively engaging with students and solving problems with them.
Nice university
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD27 May 2016
UQ is a nice university in Australia

UQ is a highly regarded university and part of the Group of 8 Universities of Australia and the world.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Management heavy
Fast paced environment that offered me plenty of experience
LABORATORY ASSISTANT (TRAINEE) (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD3 March 2016
This job was part of my Cert II in animal studies which was a great introduction into the working world and gave me the important skills I would need after school, such as WH&S awareness and efficiency in the working world. A typical day at work would have been mainly cleaning animal houses, ensuring the facility was clean, all hazards were subdued, and learning what I could about the facility advancements and animals.
Pros
Staff parties, and great co-workers.
Cons
I was only able to work once a week.
A positive environment in many ways; but the internal politics and large egos were a nuisance
Lecturer plus other duties (Former Employee) –  St Lucia and Gatton, QLD13 October 2015
I worked in a number of areas over the years. A typical day was challenging in terms of the work. Management was usually very understanding in that I had a terminal illness of a member of my family and was allowed to leave at an earlier hours provided the work was completed the following day.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful except one and there is always one. When I arrived - the computer equipment was unexpectedly obsolete (years out of date) and made the computational work a slow process. Especially difficult when one person would turn off the power during a batch run to "save power and money" and there would be up to 24 hours of lost work and have to start again- this was frustrating when management wondered why the work was not completed and that was the hardest part of the job. One must be careful by not offending local politics, in which I have no interest. This is difficult when asked for an opinion/ making an innocent inquiry and not know the local politics.
Overall I found the work interesting and almost all co-worker and management were a pleasure to know.
Pros
flexible hours within reason
Cons
people interfering with my work and inadequate resources for my work
University tutoring role
University Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Lucia, QLD28 July 2015
Freedom to approach teaching with your own style is given. Lots of bureaucracy involved. Management is completely dependent on the lecturer of the course. Lots of freedom to work in your own way is given.
Pros
Marking work is done remotely.
Cons
Lack of guidelines and support.
fun place to work
Canteen Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Lucia, QLD27 October 2013
busy right from the word go. learnt good customer skills. learnt how
to look after my section ,cleanliness. had good co workers, we
worked as a team. To be constantly on the go. Satisfaction after a
hard days work.
Pros
free morning tea or lunch, depending on your hours.
Cons
long hours.
Rewarding and ever changing environment to work in.
Administration (Former Employee) –  St Lucia, QLD4 March 2013
A typical day working at the University starts with a coffee. All fellow employee's are lovely, willing to help in any situation. The hardest part was getting a car park to actually go to work. The most enjoyable part is the social gatherings and event held for the professors and the students.
Worked with great people
Delivery Driver/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  UQ St Lucia / UQ Gatton25 April 2012
The company supplied parking and security on site at all times. Partime hours were not enough and no room for advancement. The position outcomes were more than achievable. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
hourly rate
Cons
not enough hours