The University of Queensland Management reviews

Terrible place to work
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD27 October 2018
I am a former student and employee. Both my student time and my employment there was an awful experience. There was no work-life balance, the benefits were good, no opportunity for advancement as a professional staffer, management was terrible and so was the job culture (seemed the bullies got rewarded).
Best paying internship you will find
Intern and Equine Medicine and Surgery (Former Employee) –  Gatton, Qld5 March 2018
Great mentors and great facility. Best paying internship you will find. Hard work and long hours. Could do with more HR type management but still a good team.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Relaxed yet engaging work environment.
Casual Academic CHEM1004 (Former Employee) –  Gatton QLD21 November 2017
I enjoy teaching and communicating with other people. The hardest part was coming up with new ways to explain concepts to students that didn't understand the first time. However, I never felt pressured or uncomfortable. My colleagues and management were really wonderful people.
Excellent colleagues, ruthless senior managers, toxic work culture
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD3 July 2017
Lovely campus. Good colleagues. Stimulating and challenging work. But toxic work culture, incredibly conservative, corporate, damaging. I would not recommend it, even if the salary is good and the job looks fantastic in paper. Crushing place, particularly for younger professionals who will be used and abused in a difficult environment for older and seasoned colleagues.
Pros
good salary
Cons
crushing toxic culture, bullying galore
A great place to work, save the spineless management!
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD16 May 2017
The University is a beautifully presented workplace with many great amenities for Staff and Students alike.
Conditions are very good, with a fair pay-structure of penalties for overtime and accumulated extra-hours can be taken as flexi-hours. Typically, a working day is 7.25 hours.
Work-life balance is encouraged.
I found the majority of my colleagues to be honest and friendly, which made going to work a pleasure.

The caveat comes into play when considering what school you happen to be employed with, and importantly, whether previous staff have coveted your role for themselves.

In my experience, some management displayed cowardice and deception which could only be described as breathtaking, but alas, managers are not necessarily leaders.

Academic Staff tend to be over-worked and generally under-appreciated, Professional Staff may enjoy a relaxed work atmosphere, but this also seems dependent upon what school they are employed within, and the culture within that particular faculty.

If you plan to work at U.Q, you should seriously consider joining the Union on your first day. For if someone doesn't like your shoes, your hair-style, etc, you may not get past the probationary period.
Pros
Good Conditions and amenities
Cons
Some staff are relentlessly overworked, elements of deception within workplace culture
Master Degree
Master student (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD25 July 2016
A great opportunitty to develop my theoretical skills in aspects such as risk management, strategic management and others. It was great to be able to study in one of the best university in the world
Pros
quality
Cons
Fees
Nice university
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD27 May 2016
UQ is a nice university in Australia

UQ is a highly regarded university and part of the Group of 8 Universities of Australia and the world.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Management heavy
A positive environment in many ways; but the internal politics and large egos were a nuisance
Lecturer plus other duties (Former Employee) –  St Lucia and Gatton, QLD13 October 2015
I worked in a number of areas over the years. A typical day was challenging in terms of the work. Management was usually very understanding in that I had a terminal illness of a member of my family and was allowed to leave at an earlier hours provided the work was completed the following day.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful except one and there is always one. When I arrived - the computer equipment was unexpectedly obsolete (years out of date) and made the computational work a slow process. Especially difficult when one person would turn off the power during a batch run to "save power and money" and there would be up to 24 hours of lost work and have to start again- this was frustrating when management wondered why the work was not completed and that was the hardest part of the job. One must be careful by not offending local politics, in which I have no interest. This is difficult when asked for an opinion/ making an innocent inquiry and not know the local politics.
Overall I found the work interesting and almost all co-worker and management were a pleasure to know.
Pros
flexible hours within reason
Cons
people interfering with my work and inadequate resources for my work
University tutoring role
University Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Lucia, QLD28 July 2015
Freedom to approach teaching with your own style is given. Lots of bureaucracy involved. Management is completely dependent on the lecturer of the course. Lots of freedom to work in your own way is given.
Pros
Marking work is done remotely.
Cons
Lack of guidelines and support.