The University of Queensland Employee Reviews

An exciting learning environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD8 May 2017
Working at UQ comes with the same frustrations you might face at any large organisation (e.g. payroll processing, possible delays when communicating with HR, etc), but generally it is exciting to work at a beautiful campus (St Lucia) with excellent facilities (apart from parking).
les vacances au boulot
Magasinier (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, Australie7 May 2017
Super ambiance, personnel jovial, la direction ne tire pas sur la corde et éprouve de la reconnaissance pour le travail bien fait. Dommage que ce soit à 25000km.
Had a pleasant experience working at the University of Queensland
Research scholar (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, Australia20 February 2017
I was assigned to work on a vaccine related project with my supervisor at the University of Queensland. My typical day would consist of discussions with my supervisor, performing lab duties, helping other honour students, making notes of the daily tasks, keeping the stock of all the chemical supplies and plastic wares required for the experiment.
The tasks were enjoyable as we all had a very friendly and healthy conversation with our supervisor and had fun whenever possible !
Research Clinician
Speech Pathologist Research Clinician (Former Employee) –  Queensland, Australia16 January 2017
Collection of qualitative data about live participation in adults living with stroke, 2 months, 6 months and 12 months post CVA. Based in hospital and community settings,
High quality UNI
undergraduate project (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD15 January 2017
High quality university provided valuable knowledge and excellent facilities for student to improve themselfs

provided a lot of chances to work on hand other than theory base
Pros
chances to learn
Cons
expensive
Supportive and fun
Scientific Infrastructure and Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, Australia1 December 2016
The School has a great can-do attitude. They are, in combination, striving for improvements across the board in all aspects of pharmacy in Australia - from research outcomes to the student experience.
A wonderful team to be part of. Very supportive.
Always challenging to influence culture and impact change but rewarding in the end.
Flexible teaching environment
Casual Tutor (Current Employee) –  St Lucia QLD14 November 2016
Tutoring is flexible around study hours and
Learned how to manage time, see content in different perspectives.
Time allocation depends on how many classes you are willing to teach and the number of students teaching, especially with non-class duties.
Hardest part is preparing and going in the front of the classroom.
Enjoyable part is actively engaging with students and solving problems with them.
My work
National Imaging Facility Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Woolloongabba QLD10 November 2016
I enjoyed working in the university. My typical day at work would be constantly answering queries for our student and I enjoyed it. I have learned alot what the University can give and do for our students by giving advise to students daily. I have learned to managed my work well by keeping a list to do list and prioritizing my work load. I enjoyed working in a team. The hardest part of my job is when my contract ends. The enjoyable part is enjoying doing what I love to do every morning is helping people and servicing to the best I could.
Pros
Enjoying my work
Cons
Pays
Student at PhD
Researcher (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD6 November 2016
It was a nice time at UQ. The university is equipped with state of the art equipment for research . However, salary paid to the PhD researchers is much less than their daily needs.
Pros
lab facilities
Cons
less payment
Master Degree
Master student (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD25 July 2016
A great opportunitty to develop my theoretical skills in aspects such as risk management, strategic management and others. It was great to be able to study in one of the best university in the world
Pros
quality
Cons
Fees
Nice university
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD27 May 2016
UQ is a nice university in Australia

UQ is a highly regarded university and part of the Group of 8 Universities of Australia and the world.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Management heavy
productive, fun work, gained knowledge, new work culture
Internship Training (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD21 March 2016
i learned a completely different way of gaining knowledge and loved studying and learning new techniques and culture in a different country.
Pros
flexible
Cons
Fast paced environment that offered me plenty of experience
LABORATORY ASSISTANT (TRAINEE) (Former Employee) –  St Lucia QLD3 March 2016
This job was part of my Cert II in animal studies which was a great introduction into the working world and gave me the important skills I would need after school, such as WH&S awareness and efficiency in the working world. A typical day at work would have been mainly cleaning animal houses, ensuring the facility was clean, all hazards were subdued, and learning what I could about the facility advancements and animals.
Pros
Staff parties, and great co-workers.
Cons
I was only able to work once a week.
ingénieur chercheur
Ingénieur chercheur (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD23 February 2016
très bon environnement de travail, les outils, le personnel, tout est là
Fulfilling and challenging stepping stone
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 February 2016
This job proved to be a fulfilling and challenging stepping stone into wider research tasks. Most of the work involved conducting desk research and performing drafting and proofreading activities. Overall, a very immersive first foray into research.
Great company
Human Resources Officer (Current Employee) –  Herston11 February 2016
UQ is a great place to work at. There are lots of great people and great culture. You will be able to have a good work/life balance and great employee benefits.
Recherche
Stage de recherche (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD15 October 2015
Très bonne Université, Stage de recherche très intéressant
Bonne équipe de management
A positive environment in many ways; but the internal politics and large egos were a nuisance
Lecturer plus other duties (Former Employee) –  St Lucia and Gatton, QLD13 October 2015
I worked in a number of areas over the years. A typical day was challenging in terms of the work. Management was usually very understanding in that I had a terminal illness of a member of my family and was allowed to leave at an earlier hours provided the work was completed the following day.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful except one and there is always one. When I arrived - the computer equipment was unexpectedly obsolete (years out of date) and made the computational work a slow process. Especially difficult when one person would turn off the power during a batch run to "save power and money" and there would be up to 24 hours of lost work and have to start again- this was frustrating when management wondered why the work was not completed and that was the hardest part of the job. One must be careful by not offending local politics, in which I have no interest. This is difficult when asked for an opinion/ making an innocent inquiry and not know the local politics.
Overall I found the work interesting and almost all co-worker and management were a pleasure to know.
Pros
flexible hours within reason
Cons
people interfering with my work and inadequate resources for my work
An excellent place to work.
Senior User Experience Developer (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, Queensland10 August 2015
Working at the University of Queensland Library is an amazing experience. Not only do you have the flexibility and support of a large enterprise-sized organisation, but the technology services section also has the ability and drive to move quickly and adapt to the rapidly changing student population.
Pros
Like working in a startup within a corporate organisation, able to move fast and yet have top resources available.
Cons
A little unwilling to take risks (but understandable given its position)
rewarding and fun work enviroment
Tutor of Physiology (Former Employee) –  Brisbane4 August 2015
This work enviroment enabled me to teach first year university students about the functions of the human body. My job was to assist the learning process of students within a first year physiology subject at UQ.