The University of Western Australia
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

The University of Western Australia Employee Reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

Research Assistant

Great pay, university has good funding. Lacked guidance and assistance in projects. Very much on your own to work independently. Interesting topics a lot of people to talk to.

Administrative Officer

Immediate management was supportive however often had their hands tied due to the tyrannical rule of the latest Vice Chancellor. Good, passionate workers have been axed for the University's larger profits resulting in a morose, stressful environment with low employee morale.

Pros

Paid above a living wage

Cons

Low morale, lack of job security, stressful

Research with great support

Serious engineering research, surrounded by busy academics with a laser sharp focus on delivering results, especially for practical applications in industry. Long days and sometimes nights but rewarding sense of achievement at the end.

Pros

Great facilities and not constrained by rigid rules

Cons

Low remuneration, needs closer ties with industry and local companies

A bunch of bullies and liars

I worked as a lecturer at this university for some time. They university has a deep rooted culture of bullying. Many of the lecturers have joined the Union to defend them against the bullying heads and supervisors. The pay is very low and we were struggling to make ends meet. The people who work there are from third world countries who are just happy to be allowed to live in Australia, otherwise there are no Australians working there full-time, unless if they are over 70 or have some medical handicaps that make them suitable to have an office job. So many of their heads and managers have been sacked (under the radar) due to abuse of power, bullying, corruption, lying etc.

Pros

Cons

Bullying, stress, lack of sleep, students suing staff, poor pay

Best place in the world

If I have the choice, I would like to work at UWA forever. Good culture, good people and good everything. You can actually feel the care from the uni to its students and staff.

Productive and supportive work environment

Worked in multiple branches in research and administration. Management were very supportive and progressive. Had a very good experience being employed with UWA

Only University worth call a University in WA

Mostly historical architecture Beautiful garden Friendly, but chatty staff Most of the British researchers are quite snobbish but lack the knowledge associated with said snobbishness. However it's the only University in WA with high potential, which is still growing.

Fun workplace

The workplace is welcoming, never feels like I am going to work. the team members are really helpful and collaborate to the tasks where necessary. There are small gatherings and tea breaks to get all the team members together to discuss the team work and there are always games to play at the end.

Had complete independence to get the work done. Work was always different, no two days were the same. My role was mainly to take care of the locks but also incorporated anything to do with carpentry/joinery. Enjoyed my time at UWA.

fun work environment

fast paced work friendly customers work in different setting, example : cafe, restaurant, banquets, business school and uni hall. learn different place settings

Professional respectful environment

A positive, welcoming and friendly workplace with an inclusive can do approach being projected from senior staff to encourage and foster the development of new initiatives. Enjoyed my experience with management, staff, students and technicians

productive hard work

For the past 7 years i have made met a lot of work colleagues who have now become good friends. good Christmas parties are held very year. and you do get a award if hard work is done and noticed

Bullying and ridicule at work

The workplace culture was appalling - bullying everyday by a senior team, in overcrowded and unsafe workroom. Witnessed harassment and ridicule of other staff and of visitors and constant disparagement of academics.

Cons

daily humiliation

Supportive and fun.

The staff are very supportive. The department is overall well run with admin staff prompt to help with various issues. The students are well receptive and driven.

Pros

Decent pay and good culture

Cons

Job security

Multicultural and fun place to work

The best thing to work at the University of Western Australia is its multicultural and super friendly workforce. Personally, I really enjoyed working at UWA, however, I know some people complaining about the micromanagement, but I think it largely depends on your manager and school director.

Pros

Good salary, multicultural work environment, campus location

Cons

Limited new job openings

Excellent working conditions

UWA was a fun place to work filled with great experiences of meeting all different kinds of people. beautiful gardens and great work colleagues. I started working as an inexperienced 15 year old and was taught all aspects of running an office.

n/a

bonne ambiance, bonne condition de travail et belle expérience

It has a very good workplace culture and productive

This is one of the top eight universities in Australia. It has strong working facilities to conduct scientific experiments. Scientiests from different countries work here and it is a very chance to share new ideas and technologies.

A pleasant work environment

The staff were all very helpful and friendly and the environment was conducive of professional development. It was hard because their sessional contracts were very short (5 weeks from memory) and one never knew if there was going to be work after each contract. As I needed something more reliable, I went back to my old employer.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

short sessional contracts

Excellent place to work

University of Western Australia is an excellent place to work for! The work is very challenging. However the work life balance and workplace culture are great.

Good

The University of Western Australia is a prestigious research institution that provides a relaxed environment for university study. It has up-to-date facilities adequate enough for most students.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The University of Western Australia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

The University of Western Australia Reviews by Location