The Works Stores Ltd Employee Reviews

Avoid!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands16 September 2019
I worked at the works at merry hill store as a sales assistant. I only worked here for 1 week and I couldn’t stand it anymore so I left. At my interview everything sounded lovely and I thought it would be the ideal place to work. How wrong was I???
The manager is vile! He has just took over the store a few months ago and all he does is slag the old manager off. I have no idea who she was but I feel sorry for her with the awful things they all say about her.
Pros
Discount
Cons
All the above
Poor place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rayleigh15 September 2019
Was assistant manager been with the company for 5 months. Only had 5 days training at the beginning. Asked for tranining so many times, never got the training. Poor communication from the store manager none of the staff had proper training.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor store manager skills
The most enjoyable job I have ever had!
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Ryde15 September 2019
I have worked at The Works for 5 months now in my little seaside town, and I have to say, that it is the best job I have ever had! I love getting up and going to work, and once there, thoroughly enjoy my workload! I enjoy pushing the till tellers, love meeting members of the public, and I get thoroughly engrossed in the merchandising! The manager and assistant manager are two of the nicest people I have ever met, and my work colleagues are equally as nice! I would say that the hardest part of the job is deterring the shoplifters that constantly frequent the shop and the gangs of schoolkids that accumulate outside causing trouble. Aside from that, I wouldn't change it for the world, I LOVE MY JOB!
Don't waste your time applying, you will regret it..
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire11 September 2019
Don't bother wasting of time, manager treats staff like dog dirt.. Hours go up and down every week.. One week you could work 16hrs next you could work 8 hrs, then it could jump as low as 4..... Only good thing about working for the works is you meet new customers everyday..

Perfect if you enjoy, being slagged off behind your back.. and being blamed ffor other people's mistakes.
Gone down hill
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merry Hill, West Midlands11 September 2019
I used to love coming to work when I first started here and when we had our previous manager, but now I dread it. Get treated like a child. Not allowed to do any merchandising any more even though I can merchandise better than the manager. Displays are far too high and a h&s hazard. Store constantly plays music without correct licence. The manager thinks he knows absolutely everything just because hes worked at the company for years but really who cares? You dont know everything, just come in, be nice, do your job and go home without being an idiot. Supervisor and assistant manager are having a fling so when they are on shift together you can imagine. Store is trading up massively apparently and it's all because of the new manager. No Its because last year the nearest main entrance was closed so footfall was down. All in all I hate coming to work. I used to dread the active till telling and pushing of loyalty cards but now I just dread the sight and sound of the management team, get rid!
Pros
25% discount
Cons
See above!
Fun job
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA9 September 2019
God job for general construction great job for any one learning the basic and to move ur way up from sweeping a broom to swinging a hammer or painting to building a house
Pros
Freee luches
Cons
Short breaks
Retail (Former Employee) –  Killarney, County Kerry8 September 2019
Manager treat staff terribly. Everyone wants to leave and they all looking for new jobs. All the rest of the staff get on well, manager attitude a disgrace, needs training on how to treat people with respect.
Horrendous. Impossible targets, manual labour, no development opportunity or training
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire6 September 2019
Worked at the works in a few different stores over the span of 6 years whilst I was at college and university and hated every single shift I did. They operate on skeleton staff so that they can keep their prices low, which means as a sales assistant you can expect to be stood on the till for your entire 9 hour shift by yourself, or alternatively, helping to unload heavy boxes from the delivery. There's little respect for customers with managers making you take delivery out by the trolley full and dumping on the shop floor ready to be merchandised, making it a safety hazard for customers to get around the store. They offer no training, no appraisals, no career development opportunities, berate you for not meeting insane targets given the utter rubbish they sell, but will never ever praise you for getting things right. Management were extremely selective with rotas - making sure they never had to work a weekend but the same low paid staff were always in on both Saturday and Sunday. The only good thing I'll say for the works is that it'll really teach you how to graft, but I'm sure you could learn that in a myriad of more supportive environments. Terrible company. (Oh also, forget health and safety. I regularly had to climb a ladder to change signage and was unable to have anybody hold the bottom of the ladder because the only other staff member on shift had to be on the till
Don’t do it to yourself
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Spalding4 September 2019
No support. Under staffed. Pull back in payroll every week. Damaging to your mental health. Stressful. Want the world for nothing in return. Terrible.
Cons
Higher management
Salary and hours not realistic.
customer assistant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead and Wigmore3 September 2019
The amount of hours is ridiculous. i only get paid £6.15 an hour, yes thats minimum wage but you do not get enough hours. They are not consistent in the slightest. i could get 10 hours one week then 4 hours the next. It is not beneficial at all. On the plus side we do get to meet a range of different customers who are fun to engage with which is the most enjoyable part of this job.
is a decent starter job for sales assistants
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire3 September 2019
joined in April and the job is a fun working environment and it has been a good experience so far with a good team of colleagues. there is a steady flow of tasks to do, though sometimes there isn't a lot to do on some shifts other than tidy. I'd just say as well, it is a 4 week notice period for colleagues that want to go on holiday, which I learned that hard way. a typical day at the works consists of serving customers which I am learning something new on the till everyday. also I tidy around the store as mentioned earlier, restocking shelves sometimes and cleaning the floor at the end of the day. just the typical things you'd expect to do in a retail job. overall, I don't mind working here and I would greatly consider working here in the foreseeable future.
Pros
25% staff discount on all products, quick commute for me
Cons
on feet all day
Christmas temp
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Camberley3 September 2019
I was only there for 3 months so cannot give a full review - not a fun environment due to management and current staff. The stock was interesting and customers were varied.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough29 August 2019
Learned a lot in the way of customer service and have developed a lot in myself as a result - the skills this job has taught me have certainly lended themselves to my furthering myself onto better prospects.
Terrible management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham28 August 2019
I worked here for 3 months as a volunteer was eventually given a job after rolling in ill as a dog to the point I attended hospital after doing a stock take till god knows what time..., worked with some lovely people but the management was a joke! A lad didn’t turn up for 3 days shifts No phone call no nothing but I had to take 1 day for a funeral and got well Its not immediate family...I quit.
Best place I have worked in years
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford26 August 2019
I can't say how much I loved working there, everyday you learned something new and the customer made the experience even better, all of that made up for the poor pay. one day when I don't need the money as much, I will go back and work their for what ever pay.
Really the best people ever and if you work their just know your going to make friends their and your going to forget all about when your shift ends.
Unorganised Management
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Batley25 August 2019
Management is awful and unorganised, the company it's self isn't any better get left for months on end without management, no help from anyone higher.
Pros
The discount of 25%
Cons
This is a big list for the cons which I am not gonna waste my time typing.
Work Experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Mansfield Four Seasons13 August 2019
The work is hard because of the heavy lifting., but the stores staff and manger were great, very friendly and I enjoyed my time (1 month) there very much.
Pros
Nice friendly team, the work was varied.
A good workplace environment
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset11 August 2019
I enjoyed the variety of work involved such as helping customers as well as new tasks to broaden experience. The colleagues were also very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Staff discounts
Interesting place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, Wiltshire7 August 2019
A busy, popular store that sells a variety of products that range from Kids toys, to Seasonal products and fiction books. It is a colourful place to work at.
Awful place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend5 August 2019
Fantastic team to work with but the upper management are terrible bullies, they set unrealistic targets, the pay poor for the amount they expect from you, and the hours are constantly being cut to save them money, but don't you dare try and turn hours down! There is no consistency to when you work, management are unapproachable and don't listen.
There is zero real training given, but you are constantly pulled up if things aren't done how they expect. And even if you do get it right the likelihood is they will change their mind and make you do it a different way. There is no pleasing them, you can get the best results ever, they will still tell you you need to do better. Terrible staff morale. The area manager is false, and demanding, unrealistically so.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
The whole company is one big con

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Works Stores Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.