Toolstation Employee Reviews

fun & very active place to work
Customer Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Redruth, Cornwall19 July 2019
I really enjoyed working there even though it was a short time , I had a very exciting time learning everything DIY and it really opened my eyes to the whole new experiences area, they are very up to date on what's new and improved , its never a dull day its always a new challenge every day.
Pros
i loved learning the whole DIY area of the job
Cons
it can get extremley hectic & at times not enough staff, other days too many it's just not predictable
Kinda Annoying
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire12 July 2019
You work in shifts that are given to you at random buy your manager, They get mad if your late (understandably) but they also get mad even if you're early.

You're not allowed to sit down if you're behind the counter.

The manager is kind of a richard with extremely high standards for no reason.

The store is open every day of the year except Christmas

If your shift is an opening you have to be there by 6:45 am (personly I've not done an opening but like want kinda person wants to buy tools at 7 am?)

If your shift is a closing you have to be there until by 8:15 so I basically have no social life because they cant be asked waiting for me.
Pros
They pay me
Cons
Shifts
Poor Company To Work For
Retail Manager (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Devon and Cornwall8 July 2019
Where do I even start with this one, they expect you to work long hours (you don’t even get paid for the first 4 hours you work over your 40 hours as it’s seen as needs of the business).

There is a complete lack of clear precise communication from head office, only made worse by the so called internal communications specialist. Senior management are always moving the goal posts on your targets to prevent you from achieving them (this resulting In them having to pay out less bonus) you are expected to operate a store on next to no staff and still complete all the tasks they want you to do, all within a productivity figure that they won’t tell you how they work out.

Managers in store have no real control over the actions of their stores and have to go through to a call handler in the contact center to get authorisation to do anything.

The pay is well below average for the sector and the company likes to say that they put people first before sales or procedures but that is not true at all, as soon as anything starts to effect the sales growth of the company they hit the stores hard with cutbacks or budget controls. Even when you are doing well above average sales growth and posting massive improvements across the board they still make you feel like devalued.

Honestly I can only say that I have completely lost faith and respect for this company as they are expanding way to fast and can’t get the basics right with the stores they have now, all the new stores get all the new stuff while older stores are left behind and forgotten about.

If you are thinking of joining
  more... this company don’t unless you have no other choice, that or use it as a stepping stone as if your face don’t fit they won’t want to know u or give you the option to grow.  less
Pros
Great staff at store level
Cons
Poor senior managers, lack of communication, salary, hours
Avoid !
Keyholder Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln4 July 2019
Very rarely will you encounter a member of management who is genuine willing to impart any knowledge . Communication is awful - shifts would get changed without being told . Made to feel guilty if you ask to only work the hours you are contracted for. Bullies are almost a culture through the company - I was a companion for a dismissal and had access to statements given by other members of staff - no statements matched up and were littered with lies . It was apparently that a few select management had got their heads together to ensure the team member got sacked . I , for one , would rather be unemployed than come home with knives in my back .
Pros
Good scope for progression
The New Modern Slave Trade
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  London / Gatwick Airport, West Sussex28 June 2019
Toolstation is the worst place to work ever and it's only going to get worse.

Expected to work for free or you are told you do not have the correct attitidue and made to feel you have done something wrong by wanting to finish on time.

Not given any thanks or extra pay for working extra, you are actually expected to work extra, this is normal in every store.

Constantly on your feet having to walk up to 5 miles a day, back and forth collection goods for customers, even when its quiet you don't get 2 mins to have a breather as you have to clean or tidy. Constantly called on day off to see if you can work due to short staff, they expect you to eat, live and breathe Toolstation.

This company has a major issue in keeping its staff, massive turnover of staff across the entire company. They get through 2500 staff per year due to people leaving. This is in head office, warehouse and their stores. Their moto "Great place to work", actually it's really not a great place to work!!

Pay is low and expectations are sky high. Regional managers are a bunch of not nice people who like a yes person. They dangle the carrot to get things done and then still no reward.

Honestly, if your desperate to get a job then apply and use as a stepping stone and don't even for a minute ever think that you can have a long term future with them as they will drop you from a great height. No friend, no favours purly just business to them. Your just a number, not valued and a.modern day slave.

From a customer prospective its great as cheap goods with good service but as a employee prospective
  more... it will be if not the worst, one of the worst jobs ever in your entire life.

100% honest feedback, guaranteed.
Pros
Get same low pay same day each month
Cons
Long hours, not valued and robot environment.
Terrible place, dreadful, racism & lots of favouritism, assistant manager's a cr eep
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  brentford London21 June 2019
DO NOT WORK HERE!
Seriously, just go to Screwfix instead, better management and pays more, they also care better for their emloyees.

E ww my assistant manager was very inappropriate with me, why did he lift me up? why did he ask to go into my room one time i allowed him to give me a lift home after work one day. Weird..

Anyway, toolstation do not care about their employees! There is NO HEATING!! You might think "so what? It's a warehouse" that just makes it worse, it's not that bad when its a very hot summer day but you wait until summer is over, especially in winter!! I had so many customers complain to me about how cold the place is, I had to tell them there's nothing I could do about it which was a shame. Your fingers become numb you can barely function. Also there are mice so if you have a phobia, don't do it to yourself, they didn't even fix the problem.

Workplace culture: The branch I worked at was mainly full of in dians and they were pretty much racis t, only looked out for their own. My supervisor was in dian and he had an obses sion with me, he would always swap shifts so that we were working together. He would also follow me around the store and watch me work. He also lied about me several times to management just because I would reject him, also, he and the other supervisor (who was new at the time) would both sell AND smoke WE ED in the store. I wish I had spoken up. One other worker I know was for sure aware of it.
Manager was unfair, always had me work every single weekend (everybody alternated but I STAYED working every weekend) even though I was
  more... not weekend staff and it was not part of my contract to work every weekend.

Poor management, working in very cold conditions, staff are very f ake and everyone there was trying to get each other fired, This is why I had to tune them all out and just do my hours and go. What I learned from this is not to trust anyone! One minute they'll smile at you, the next they're making up lies about you to the managers. FAVOURITISM happened a lot! The head manager liked the new keyholder a lot (think she had a crush on him) so whenever he wanted a day off she would allow him but one day I (well TRIED TO) call in sick because it was day 1 of my period and I was in a lot of pain, i was told I had to come in regardless). but later on that same day (I came in because I was scared to lose my job) i heard my manager say to one of the other workers that she let our keyholder stay at home because he called in and said he wanted to sleep. He wasn't ill or busy, just wanted to sleep!?!

We were not allowed to drink the hot drinks from the dispensers even though it was free for customers, even on colder days we were not allowed to.

My life was dreadful when I worked at Toolstation! I'm glad I quit! 7 people had already left by the time I quit (7 people left in the space of like 11 months) shows what a "lovely" place Toolstation is to work. :/

Everyone that stayed (apart from 2 people) can go to the place opposite to Heaven *Kanye shrug*
Pros
Somewhat easy to swap shifts
Cons
Many!
fun place to wrok
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eastleigh, Hampshire20 June 2019
Great team never would you expect anymore or less, as a company they treat you good as gold, great value for money,good home and work life balance....
very good progression options
Customer service representative - picking items (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London18 June 2019
learnt how to use till to serve customers, exchange items
promoted to supervisor
plan rotas
beat targets
send emails
team briefings
staff meetings
Pros
bonus overtime
Cons
very long hours
I’ve had worse jobs - but this one isn’t all that great.
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Havant15 June 2019
Whilst the job itself wasn’t difficult, I didn’t always have the team support behind me especially from management. It wasn’t as bad when I was just an assistant, but as soon as I moved up to supervisor, I would get given a hard time over the smallest of things. A lot of pressures for little to no reward.

The only real reason I stayed for as long as I did was because of the two staff members I got along really well with.
Pros
Staff I got along with
Cons
Poor management/high staff turn over
The best place I ever worked
Accounts Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset3 June 2019
It’s really upsetting to read some of the reviews regarding head office as I had a totally different experience.

I worked at head office in Bridgwater in accounts, I was new in the area and felt welcomed from day one. I only knew 2people in the area (none of which worked at tool station) and not once did I feel excluded or mistreated. I never experienced the management to be unfair or “clicky”, I was never held back from expressing my opinions on any matter and never felt like I wasn’t listened to or not offered progression or recognition.

I had the loveliest manager that offered the best support I could have asked for. Whenever I needed help or advice she was straight to my aid or anyone else in the team. There were many occasions where she was going to be late to pick up her children because she was going the extra mile to help her team. Personally I felt like the rest of my team, and the whole accounts office were of the same behaviour. I never felt I couldn’t ask ANYONE in that office for help, including the new MD when he asked for something urgently that I hadn’t done before.

The atmosphere in the office was always happy, I think to say it was like working in a playground is very far fetched. Doesn’t everyone want to work somewhere where you can be happy and build relationships with colleagues?

I agree there were lots of outside work activities planned, but this wasn’t a case of the same group every time; whenever someone made a plan an email to everyone was always sent round and the opportunity to join was offered to everyone.
I found this really helpful
  more... being shy, new in the area and struggling with anxiety. But whenever I declined an invitation I was never made to feel like it was an issue or that I would be excluded next time.

Working for toolstation was genuinely the best job I’ve ever had and I miss it everyday, but unfortunately my circumstances changed and I was unable to stay in the area.

If you’re looking for a job here please take some of the reviews with a pinch of salt, it’s a lovely place to work with career progression opportunities. Work is what you make it, it all starts with your attitude towards it.
Pros
Friendly environment, good support, career progression, good benefits, regular salary reviews, helpful managers, good team atmosphere
Cons
No canteen, I was unable to continue working here due to personal issues
Nice people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, Oxfordshire29 May 2019
The RM is a bully picks on people doesn’t care about long serving employees he texts you when on holiday if you can come in when he knows 2 supervisors are there.
If you do something nice for a customer he does like that.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Rm alarm call outs
3 June 2019

Hello, thanks for taking the time to write a review. I know we haven't always got it right, but I have a real focus on our people this year, and your feedback is not in line with how I expect our colleagues to feel. I'd really like to understand more behind it so please feel free to contact me on recruitment@toolstation.com. Many thanks Simon (Retail Director)

A first management job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland28 May 2019
As an experienced retail manager I applied, was offered, and accepted a job as a store manager with Toolstation. After joining I was given an induction which lasted 4 weeks. Despite this training being quite comprehensive, and costly for the business, I quickly realised that this environment was not for me. I understood the salary was low before I accepted the role, what I failed to realise (and was not illustrated prior to joining) was the lack of any real leadership required to operate in role. Every decision of any importance is taken by a regional manager or above, no solving customer issues without authorisation, no managing your own staff from an HR perspective, no financial decisions without prior authorisation, no initiative allowed based on experience. Basically, a key holder with a job role that says manager. As a first management role this would probably be very good, the company has a structure for development and has huge growth which should promote career momentum. For me, unfortunately, it ended with my notice given only one week after completing the training.
To me it felt like the company has grown too quick for its infrastructure to keep up. It’s almost like a small independent, with the controls you would expect if you had the owner using an office in the back room.
If you read this as an experienced manager then take heed of the first piece of information given to me by a Toolstation regional manager - ‘This isn’t like other environments. Rip up everything you know about retail and start again’. Well, I guess the point for me was that why should I rip
  more... up 25yrs of experience to start again? That’s where the value in experience lies, hence the headline of this review. If you are contemplating your first move to management, then I think you could do much worse than Toolstation, I would encourage you to give it a go.  less
Pros
Very straightforward environment, good opening hours for retail (7-7), should be stable considering rapid growth, excellent for new managers
Cons
Hard to reconcile lack of responsibility if you are used to that already, very poor pay rates, very high labour turnover
3 June 2019

Hello, thanks for your review. All feedback is important to me; without it we can't work to improve, and I'm really dedicated to making sure Toolstation is a great environment to work in. I know we haven't always got it right and I am working hard to listen to our team and address their suggestions.

Historically we've been a very process driven business which has led to some of our Store Managers finding a lack of autonomy in their roles. We recognise that we have a lot of talented Manager in our business and are working on a number of initiatives to enable them to be more effective in their roles. We'll shortly be releasing our new procedures guide which has a 60% reduction in content which will free up our Managers to focus on their people. We're also trialing a new returns policy which will give our Managers more autonomy with the ability to give a discretionary discount and sell through damaged goods.

There's still lots more that we can and will do, but I hope this goes some way to showing that we recognise your feedback and are working hard to make it a great place to work. Thanks again, Simon (Retail Director)

Absolute joke
Supervisor - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset19 May 2019
Firstly I covered so much in the store it was ridiculous. Staff always calling in sick and others not willing to cover. Bloody cold during the winter and unbearably hot during the summer since I was inside a wickes its air conditioning and heaters didnt work! Was told during the winter I wasnt allowed to wear a hat and gloves to keep warm. Area managers words! Long story after ages of trying to convince him I said I didn't care and the staff tht are on with me are either gonna be wrapped up warm or I'm sending them all home and shutting the store down as I'm not working in those freezing conditions with no one doing anything about it. Horrible place to work with horrible management, don't even bother unless you want a unsatisfactory job and to be miserable.
Pros
Cons
Management, lack of staff and training
3 June 2019

Hello, thanks for taking the time to write your review. My key area of focus this year is our people, and part of this is ensuring we're listening to feedback from both our current and former colleagues. I know we haven't always got it right and I am working hard to listen to our team and address their suggestions.

Cold is something that we have to manage unfortunately - the nature of our proposition with stores based predominantly in warehouse units means that heating can be difficult. We always ensure that the serving areas are heated, but to heat the whole store effectively isn't viable. We do provide uniform to tackle this, and are making headway in the area as well, with new guidelines around trousers and footwear, however some of your specific feedback is concerning so I'd really like to understand more behind it so please feel free to contact me on recruitment@toolstation.com. Thanks Simon (Retail Director)

Dont bother
CSR (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands17 May 2019
Worked for toolstation for 3yrs, was ok at first but then realised the company only care for themselves and not the employees. No security and u had to come off ur break to help other staff. Very quick turn over of staff too. No overtime pay and shifts kept changing so u couldn't plan ur days. U have to stay over to clean store when closed and u dont get paid.. the amount of work u do, u dont get credit for.
Pros
Good work mates
Cons
No help when u ask.
3 June 2019

Hi, thanks for taking the time to write your review. It concerns me that you have left us with such negative feelings after 3 years of working with us. I know we haven't always got it right but I have a real focus on our people this year, and your feedback is absolutely not how we expect our colleagues to feel. I'd really like to understand more behind it so please feel free to contact me on recruitment@toolstation.com Many thanks, Simon (Retail Director)

Smoke & Mirrors
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  South West2 May 2019
A usual retail management role within a trade counter environment. Growing too fast atm which just leads to incompetence often at the expense of stores.
Opportunity to progress if you want to sell your soul.

Regional Managers often come from within & so are a product of the company (yes men) They manage on average twenty stores (a big reduction from the days of sixty-ish stores).
Head office struggles to keep up with the pace that the company is growing. Leadership has changed over the last 2 years, some good & some bad aspects of this. Some good & some poor personnel choices.

The culture is changing, they are giving stores alot more investment (labour, salaries, bonus etc) but expecting alot more out of everyone (when they already get alot out of us).

The hardest part of the job is not having a voice, trying to challenge the norm is seen as negativity. Everything is changing at the moment, in the past things would be launched in a controlled manner: tested, proof read, fedback, amendments etc. However everything is being rushed out without consideration & it's all a big mess.

Most enjoyable aspect is its quiet at Christmas.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Long hours, leadership
Dont care about staff just how much money the branch makes
Supervisor and Manager (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex4 April 2019
Will fire anyone over any small thing dont care about staff retention or welfare, will work you 6 days a week and if you refuse they will dismiss you saying it gross misconduct..keep away
Pros
Meeting customers
Cons
Toolstation as a company
3 June 2019

Hello, thanks for taking the time to write your review. My key area of focus this year is our people, and part of this is ensuring we're listening to feedback from both our current and former colleagues. I know we haven't always got it right and I am working hard to listen to our team and address their suggestions; some of your specific feedback is concerning so I'd really like to understand more behind it so please feel free to contact me on recruitment@toolstation.com Thanks again, Simon (Retail Director)

Slavery.
Customer Service Member (Former Employee) –  Salisbury2 April 2019
Awful.
The store temperature over the 2018 summer in Salisbury (UK) reached 35° C.
Ridiculous workload.
Breaks a joke.
Felt like a robot not an employee.
Pros
None.
Cons
Working conditions. Wage.
I enjoyed the actual job, just not all of the staff.
Retail staff (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire31 March 2019
I worked there for 16 hours a week, and I often felt excluded due to coming to work, working hard and getting my job done. However, due to being on benefits at the time, I was unable to cover shifts when other staff were sick or on annual leave due to the benefits restrictions. This caused an atmosphere in the work place as other staff felt put more upon. This eventually became too much for me, so I left.

This wasn't a company problem; this was due to a couple of employees.

I actually enjoyed the work element within the warehouse and dealing with customers.
Management rubbish and have no life
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 March 2019
Manager changes rota without meeting staff
Made to put delivery away on own without help
Manager thinks they can sit and do nothing and not help with customers
Apparently not entitled to holidays....

YOU WILL HAVE NO LIFE WORKING HERE! And you are not appreciated working for this company
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Management is rubbish
New age Slavery! Worst company/Racist head office
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 March 2019
Performance is not the standard for progression and To stay in the company! So many loopholes in the system, Dodgey HR team who are just a data entry operators, Division Directors treat regional managers and stores differently depending who you are and not on the grounds of performance!
Pros
Flexiabke rots If manager is good, Specifice group of people get plenty of oppertunity
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toolstation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6