TutorWorks Employee Reviews

Great rewarding place to work
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CA30 May 2019
I worked at TutorWorks for a couple of months as an Academic Tutor. It was very rewarding to work with the children and to be able to help them with their studies. I truly loved and enjoyed the job. It felt good to know you were helping these kids learn, as well as being a good role model/mentor for them. The pay was good too. This job still remains my most favorite job I’ve ever had.
Pros
Rewarding, good schedules, friendly work environment
Cons
Part-time work
Team-work, standardized teaching program made tutoring easier.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA11 March 2019
Great team-work. I thought in many cases the software we used did not fit the age/grade level of the students. More flexibility to address individual student needs would have been great. At the same time, a standardized program made teaching easier.
Pros
Variety of locations and students. Congenial colleagues, managers.
Cons
Managers not always available for help with problem situations.
academic coach was acceptable
Academic Coach (Former Employee) –  Union City, CA12 October 2018
I am not suited to working with elementary students and much of the time was spent in a disciplinary role and therefore facilitating learning was of little importance.
Fun first job, not great for long term
Tutor (Former Employee) –  N/A26 May 2018
Upper management ultimately cares more about profit.
Staff is friendly but ovelwhemingly unorganized.
Poor communication between staff and management.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Poor Management
Academic Coach (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CA20 November 2017
Love working with kids but this place has poor management this program year. They are short staffed, you only work 2 hours a day. They do not provide supplies for the students. They are so unprepared on set up and meeting the appropriate timeline. They also blame the tutors instead of taking accountability for their poor management skills. 3 people at the site I tutored all quit before I did. That explains it all.
Very Productive and Much Needed by Parents and Students
Teacher-Mentor (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CA1 November 2017
A day at work at TutorWorks is very conducive to learning and cultural enhancement and exchange.

Management is very helpful.

Salary is above average.

Teachers come from different culture and backgrounds.
Pros
Very conducive for learning using advanced technology and pedagogy
Cons
Not much interaction with fellow teachers and parents
work
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CA20 January 2017
I love working with small children, They always have something to talk about. The children always love to learn new things every day. I think the hard part sometimes was to actually have parents get involved in the program
good place to work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA30 June 2016
i had good exp working here. i liked the mgt interaction and team interaction. only short coming no proper communication with onsit and office team at times.
Productive Fun
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CA 9401011 May 2016
Not much pay but fun to work and enjoy students as they enjoy the tutors. Also it is a join to be around the other tutors. All the tutors are hard working.
Fun learning experience from working with them, got to learn more communication skills.
Recruiter, went door (Former Employee) –  San Pablo, CA18 February 2016
Depending who you were with, you would either go to a school and ask parents around if they were interested in signing up their children for free tutoring to help them with the state test. If you was not doing that then a couple groups would go door to door asking parents to sign their child or children up. The only hard part about the job would be when you see a kid that wants to sign up but their parent doesn't want that or the kid was too young to get into the program. The enjoyable part about it was that you always would have something to do and you get to communicate with all types of people.
Zero Communication
Academic Coach (Former Employee) –  California7 January 2016
I couldn't even get to start working. They hired me in October for the Santa Rosa area, then quickly asked me if I was willing to commute. I said no, and they said that it wouldn't be a problem and that I would start "soon." They sent me all the paperwork, which I completed, and then I come to find that I still am not even close to getting to start working. Three and a half months later, and my supervisor still doesn't get back to me for weeks. I decide to "quit," if it even counts as quitting. Three months of being led on to believe I was going to start working "soon," so I never took any other jobs. Now I have to start looking all over again.
Cons
No communication, horrible administration, disconnected
Productive friendly work environment
Payroll HR Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FL9 December 2015
Tutorworks is a great company, that helps educate children with a heart on their sleeve. The work environment is comfortable and supportive.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
bi- monthly pay dates
Management have no idea of how to manage the tutors
Tutor/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CA29 September 2015
The managers would call you at the last moment and expect you to be punctual and arrive promptly at the tutoring sight. The company is located in Burlingame and the manager doesn't make the least effort to make sure you get the tutoring material. You are on your own all the way through. Of course gasoline is not paid by the company.
Pros
Left pretty much to your own devices, no training provided. Tutoring is self paced and on the cpu.
Cons
Almost no training for the position is available, you are expected to know everything from the beginning, the managers are very disorganized, they provide you with students info at a very short notice.
A Good "Foot In The Door" Job
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  East Bay Area, CA11 August 2015
If you can handle the odd scheduling that comes with any On-Call type of job, the entry level positions at Tutorworks are for you. While the pay is acceptable the erratic teaching hours can become frustrating at times. You must have a real love for teaching kids and a willingness to travel to the various schools in your local area, because ultimately you are doing a lot of stuff for them. There is a weird disconnect between the 9-to-5er's who work at the corporate office and the On-Calls who actually work in the classrooms, but if you want to move forward in the company it is relatively easy to do so, you just have to want it.
Pros
Good Starter Experience, Mostly Friendly People, Pretty Good Pay
Cons
Odd and Erratically Scheduled Hours, Disconnect between the Corporate Office and Field Work
Tutoring kids that don't have the same resources as others.
Academic Coach (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CA18 May 2015
A tutoring company that uses sub-par software to run kids through lesson programs to meet their quotas. The hardest part of the job was getting paid on time.
Pros
Short hours.
Cons
Shorts hours, Whiny kids, Impossible parents.
Incredible company focused on helping others
ACADEMIC TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FL15 May 2015
The most rewarding and enjoyable job I ever had, Tutorworks is a fun place to work where I was able to help pupils of all ages become better students. My co-workers treated me like part of a family.
tutoring
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CA27 February 2015
the programs they use to help students, show lots of improvement. I had to tutor some districts but manager others. This caused a lot of mix ups to happen. I worked a lot of hours I was not paid for but did enjoy it.
Pros
Over all good job to have
Cons
positions are not fair on dutys, expect to much from one person, to much traveling
Academic coach (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CA1 April 2014
Loved working with kids and establishing a sense of work ethnic they can use for many years to come.
Great educational programs
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CA22 August 2013
Great hours and awesome experience. Learned great communication skills. Budgeting
Pros
interaction with children of all ages
Cons
budget cutts in education
a good working enviroment....
pro (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA20 December 2012
well i learned to have self control,learning the needs of younger children,my patients is ver good when it come to others,i love working with my employees we all work well and together,the hardest part is not being able to do surtain things sometimes but other then that it is excellent.the most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children.
Pros
free lunches, suprises
Cons
short breaks and excercise

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TutorWorks. Our community is ready to answer.