United States Department Of Defense
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from United States Department Of Defense:

United States Department Of Defense Employee Reviews

Australia22 reviews
I have never worked for this organization I live in Australia. Please update your misinformation as I find it totally unacceptable and unprofessional.
I am well presented an am an excellent customer service representative. I have had 15 years in desktop support environments specializing in Microsoft Environments.
Pros
Don't care
Cons
Happy with long hours
Interesting to work for but it is a government organization and therefore has all the pitfalls of public service. Canberra can be an interesting place to live
Work was highly classified. The work included non-confidential duties such as administration & supervision, a typical work day required a high level of attention to detail and situational awareness..
Reliable employer with room for expansion of opportunities in many localities in such a large organisation defending the free world.
Exciting and interesting work on aircraft, submarines, surface ships, shore bases, in the field, assisting countries to defend themselves form insurgents, working in electronics, mechanics, electrics, defending bases against terrorists etc
Project Training Manager to 100 personnel - 8 supervisors, 16 training instructors
Provide team leadership and career management for supervisors

Develop and maintain policy and standards for numerous high risk activity programs

Department Health & Safety representative, responsible for operational management of H&S.
Pros
Highly challenging position with continous improvement
Cons
Long and continuous periods away from home
Although the Department of Defence has the benefits of providing excellent work/life balance opportunities and a stable career, management styles are still very outdated, producing a high staff turnover. There seems to be no differentiation between normal daily outine and when soldiering is required, making it hard to find a centered work style and routine.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of management training.
Good Pay and Benefits
Good on the job training and career advancement

Difficult to manage work/life especially if you have kids and a family

Suits a young person find their feet if they don't know what they want to do with their life.
Work colleagues maintained high standards of professional conduct.
Well resourced programs and office environments.

Flexible work-life balance arrangements.

Attractive remuneration packages.

Excellent on-the-job training opportunities.
Pros
Flexible working environment
Cons
Bureaucratic processes
I worked in the is department for 4years. Although there was little room for advancement there were some unique and innovative ways that they management their business
Pros
Good structured environment
Cons
Little of no room for advancement
My Defence career was great fun and very rewarding, full of challenges and successes. I would encourage all young people to consider a term in Defence to get a great grounding into work life, to learn a trade
Pros
life experience
Cons
uniform can go to people's head and they have power trips
I loved completing my work experience with the defence force, it truly is an experience I won't forget!
Doing work experience with the ADF has broadened my mindset and helped me to decide on any future careers.

I would recommend doing your work placement with the ADF to anyone who is unsure of what they want to do when they're older but also have an interest in a challenge.
typical was processing payroll
learned a great deal from different computer systems to APS policies sand procedures

management was good, always willing to guide career progression

workmates were great to work with

the hardest part and the most enjoyable part of the job was working to the payroll cutoff deadline, high volume paperwork
Pros
great salary
Cons
department moved
Persoally I was given nearly all the opportunities given to military personnel. I enjoyed my time employed by the department and the comradeship that I experienced.
Pros
comradeship
Cons
slow parts delivery to complete tasks.
very satisfying work due to clear directions on tasking, availability of resources and autonomy. Security of tenure allowed for responsible risk taking during program/ project delivery. Workloads limit personal time away from workplace.

Plenty of variety in relation to projects-you must be flexible and have a broad experience and skills base. Emotional intelligence is essential to gain the best from your teams as teams work very close and for long periods together.
Pros
Teamwork, clear task directions, access to senior managers
Cons
Poor life/ work balance
Strong professional, ethical and hardworking 'can-do' culture. Good stepping stone for young graduates with opportunities to travel domestically and overseas.
Great federal public service conditions - flexible hours, industry competitive salaries, great super and health benefits.
Pros
Very professional and rewarding
Good working conditions
Good co workers

Professional attitude

Good work life balance

Excellent management

A good variety of work
Great career to travel and see the world, was able to be promoted and gain the experience and knowledge to supervise and manage subordinates and train the future leaders of the Army.
Cleaning of toilets ,collecting of recycled cardboard,street sweeping,
mowing of lawns,tree trimming,weed control of garden area and nature strips,fix fences and clean houses.
Pros
bbq on friday
Cons
nil
Great Job with good job security. Enjoyable work environment and good workmates. Great work conditions and remuneration.
I would advise a single man to join.
But if you have a family, the military will suck your life away from them.
Pros
Deployment
Cons
Life sucking
Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Department Of Defense. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2