Uniting Vic Tas

39: Uniting Vic Tas Employee Reviews

Australia39 reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Poor management performance

I'm contracted 43hrs fortnightly but due to the poor management, I have to work 13 days in a line. The roster is neither fairly shared by staff nor set or rotating.

Cons

Short hours shifts.

Dont do it. Workplace bullying.

Don't speak to anyone, don't even ask how others are doing, you will get into trouble. Don't look for another job, you will get questioned, Some staff treat you like your something from the gutter. You will be guilty until you prove yourself innocent. Rules change all the time and very unsafe work practices that you won't get support in. Glad I left as are many others in the process.

Toxic

Worst company I have ever worked for in the community sector. Staff are treated appallingly. Their values are all just lip service in regards to how they treat staff

Pros

Cons

Toxix unsuuportive managemnt

Bad culture and dictatorial management

Inflexible and Dictatorship style management which filters down - the culture is therefore anxious and stressed and negative about management.Sad given it wasn’t this way prior to their merger.Managers all support managers and HR doesn’t support workers across the board, they support managers.If you don’t want to advocate for clients or expect flexibility for your own life work balance then this is an ideal organisation.

Pros

It’s a job

Cons

Management not held accountable, are inflexible, don’t support working from home where possible, Larger than industry standard case loads, High staff turnover, favouritism and silo operations, Lack of staff inclusivity, not following DFFH guidelines

Friendly supportive work place.

Couldn't speak more highly of them,Supportive, flexible, multiple up skills available. They treat you as a person not a number.You can ask anyone for help. Managers doors are always open

Staff are not valued

Negative work culture as management are not supportive of staff. Staff are overloaded with casesCan't do quality work due to high quantity of casesFocus on staLack of client contact.Focus on paper work

Pros

Clients are great to work with

Cons

Staff efforts are not appreciated

Toxic environment

The organisational behaviour is a very TOXIC environment and it is the entire company across the board.I had no support or direction when I started, follow team colleagues would support me when the team leader or manager was out of the office that way there was no repercussions to them. It was like working in the hunger games 'kill or be killed' the experience coursed my to have an emotional breakdown.

Pros

Client's

Cons

Nasty environment

Worst working experience ever.

My experience at Uniting consisted of; being bullied, overworked, not valued or heard, watching personal friends of senior staff being promoted over more experienced workers, seeing good staff leave following unfair treatment, male staff being under valued & used as "security" when a male presence was felt required for aggressive clients. I resigned due to this toxic environment.

Pros

The salary was good.

Cons

Unfair hierachy leading to poor treatment of other staff, too much favouristm shown to personal friends who can behave appallingly which is overlooked.

Work at Uniting with vulnerable people is rewarding, everchanging, inspiring yet challenging. Many workers are so diverse and team oriented.

I recommend working here but perhaps have a backup or other job also if not fulltime. Great organisation. The opportunity to go forward comes with dedication, working according to Uniting values with strong ethics. Be non bias, motivated, accepting of cultural diversity, non judgemental, person centred, work collaboratively with clients, workers and other professionals.

Fun place great People

Being a volunteer at Uniting Care was a really good experience. The people were really nice and i regularly catch up with them. The upper management were horrible to all other paid workers/volunteers to the point where most of us, including our manger left. It was a horrible work environment towards the end, all because of the upper management.

Passionate staff on the ground. Organisation burdened by incompetent exces and upper management

This organisation loves crisis management. They know what is going to occur but not able to take pro active steps to prevent or avoid it from occurring. Invariably, the lack of action leads to crisis and then management will address it, and declare it a success story to make people feel good.. Due to our inaptness, people are always busy with crisis.. Organisation talk about good business planning but management don;t have the discipline/understanding to practise what it preaches. Very hierarchical culture, nothing moves unless it is Okey by senior management.. weighed down by incompetent exces with little BUSINESS experience. There's a lot of management speak but no tangible actions, apart from managing crisis.. SAD

Great family friendly organisation to work for.

My job was very busy but I loved it - even though I had to report to management I was able to work autonomously as well as supervise/work with two staff. The finance office had a great work atmosphere and I always worked with an open-door policy being available at all times to my work colleagues (regardless of how busy I was).

Pros

Family friendly

Cons

Organisation merged and I was the result of a mandatory redundancy.

Collaborating well with others, respect to all diverse cultures and opinions.

Working with young children with additional needs is very rewarding, especially when you see how well they progress from the start of the year, up until the end of the year. Of course the job does come with challenges from time to time, but it is worth it in the end, especially seeing how well a young child has flourished and worked hard to overcome every day challenges that most people may unintentionally take for granted. The most enjoyable part of the day is sitting with the children at meal times, that is the perfect time to bond with them, and discuss their interests with them as well as seeing them bond with their peers. The community of people in our work place are of diverse background, so we get to learn different things about different people, such as celebrations, and symbolic meanings, which is very important to know, as everyone's beliefs are important to them. Overall I do enjoy my job and helping young children to learn and thrive in life.

Drives you crazy

High staff turnover. Barely any support from management. Minimal training provided and should you require assistance, nobody has the time and reacts like you should already know everything. 0 organisation from those higher up. A lot of talking behind your back

Great

As stated above, I've briefly been in and out as a freelancer, so I don't have nearly enough information for recommendations, Bt the work culture there has always been lovely, the people are great and they've ben very good to me during times I've come and gone freelancing.

has been good for me, personally

Has been good employment for me, personally. Supportive Manager and co-workers. Good working environment. The hours are good for most employees. zzzzz

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Casual employment

good job opportunities

being a large company days were very structured, and rightly so they needed to be. if a person really wanted to fulfill their career with care this is where you would get the opportunity.

Pros

training opportunities are always offered

Cons

not a lot of time available to give the finer things of life to others

Fun,supportive group

I loved working at Prahran Uniting Care opp shop. A typical Day at work involves sorting and pricing donations, working at the till and providing customer service, help with the displays and merchandising. A fun supportive team to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and helping customers and sorting through the donations.

Pros

supportive environment

Caring role

As a Carer you "hit the ground running" on day shift. Afternoon shift is still busy but not so much as days. You need to be a very patient person with a heart of gold. This is not a job you do for money or just a job. Your heart has to be truly in it. I have learnt to have an open mind. Managements door is always open and approachable. Workplace culture is a family atmosphere. Hardest part of the job would be the managing aggressive Clients. Not being able to spend public holidays with your family. This industry is 24/7, 365 day a week. Most enjoyable part The people you are caring for and staff working with. You have a sense of achievement of helping someone with their day to day needs.

Pros

the people

Cons

low wage, no public holiday's

GREAT place to work

Restore is an op shop in wendouree. Its mostly volunteers there. The volunteers price items and use the cashier. I love working there. Meet lots of people and make friends with the other volunteers. Love working at restore. The bosses are easy going and great to work with.

Very strong focuss on living out their ethos

My time with the Synod was one of great learning and growth. I was encouraged to find my voice and speak up about issues that I was passionate about. I highly value their commitment to living out their workplace vision and ethos particularly compassion.

Pros

Time to grow and learn

Cons

We have recently undertaken a huge merger and everything is unstable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Uniting Vic Tas. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Learn about Uniting Vic Tas in popular locations