Uniting

Uniting Employee Reviews

Australia155 reviews

3.3Work–Life Balance

The most enjoyable part of the job

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a team that were very approachable and offered staff support, and in-house upskilling. I enjoyed listening to the clients and hearing about their life journey so far, as well as their goals and aspirations for their future.As a home care employee I was able to be part of an enthusiastic team who assist the ageing population in our community stay in there own homes for longer with good quality of life.

Awesome teamwork, community and leadership

I work at Uniting Harris Community Centre. I studied social work and for me it has been a great experience. I've learnt a lot about community development and the manager is awesome: open to ideas and implementing new stuff but also good to clarify the limits in which we can work. If you're proactive this is a work for you. Also, the community at Ultimo is awesome, the interaction with the families, the children, the festivals, everything we do is great. The hardest part would be the load of work and organisation since we only have placement students that come and go each 3 months, there are busier times when we have to take on some responsibilities until the next intake of students come in. I know we're the only community centre of our type at Uniting so my experience can be different from others working in aged care/disability, etc. But I have thoroughly enjoy it. The teamwork is awesome, the leadership and community too. also, flexible hours! I only would like for Uniting to give us more funding so we can actually hire more people!

Pros

Teamwork, community, flexible hours, leadership, opportunity to propose and create

Cons

Not enough funding for our centre

7-8hours of domestic assistance daily

Was really only a Monday-Friday job. Wasn't paid the 15 minutes between clients only travel money at 80c a km. The work was terrible- I would end up completing 7–8hours of domestic assistance a day with nothing else. I also had a 2nd job and felt forced to leave that job. No care for work/life balance I began study 2 afternoons a week and my manager was not happy about that. I would travel 30-40 minutes from my house unpaid and could end up driving 2hrs for a 3 and a half hr shift in my own car no work car provided- no work morale as never saw any other staff.

Pros

There were no pros

Cons

Long shifts, little assistance, unorganised

Very flexible work place

Have found uniting to be incredibly flexible (at my particular office). My manager is absolutely fantastic, patient and understanding. Great work life balance.

Negative work place culture And extremely poor management

Not a company I would recommend work for at all unless you like constantly being put under pressure and stress and having no support from your manager

Colleagues wonderful, Management awful

Management started off as a wonderful bunch, they were moved on and new management came in. New management were very ‘jobs for mates’ clicky and bullying.

Pros

Meeting wonderful people in the community

Cons

Management not open to new ideas

Uniting is the best work place I have been Good working relationship with both colleagues and supervisors.

Uniting is the best work place I have beenGood working relationship with both colleagues and supervisors.Enjoyed working with my co-workers and supervisor and consumers familiesIt was fun working with Uniting I will never forget that was my first job in Australia very passion about Uniting.

Stinkiest Nursing home I've ever encountered

Overall, facilities of uniting are very old with foul smell. The managements are quite autocratic and too political and would only promote people whom they know instead of filtering people who have chances to be promoted because of their qualifications, capabilities, and dedications.

Pros

-Fair salaries

Cons

Lots of pressure injuries, too much wound dressings, too political, poor dining experience for residents.

great to work for, great team work

I like a varied job, and I certainly got this at Uniting. Even though i was a cleaner, interaction with the residents needs were first priority. ( within my ability to do so)I would help out wherever needed and ended up with a few hours in the office each week.

Pros

working with a great team.

Cons

lots of overtime to be taken up. Staff shortages due to sickness or hols.

excellent

excellent service manager who always motivate you for best .excellent staff members.team workers were always help ful during my work there.if i stuck with anything they always guide me

Pros

free lunch

Poor Management

Discriminative, toxic environment . Favouritism at its peak , no support from Management.Roster are never out at time , staff doesnt know when to work next

Pros

Salary pckaging

Cons

Long hours, staff to client ratio is very poor, no appraisals, you are just a number ..

Productive and fun work

Working with uniting have been a amazing experience all workers are profesional I’m learning a lot every day also I’m very happy working with them because I have more choice to work in the laundry, kitchen and in the hostelas well. I’m going to start working with them as a care because I’ll get the certificate III Aged Care next month, I’m very excited for it 😊

Pros

Australia

Cons

8 hours

Toxic workplace culture, bullying of staff from senior management and organisational management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with the residents, caring for their needs, developing person-centred care plans and leisure plans. The other positive aspect of the job was training and mentoring the junior staff. The culture within the organisation is toxic and a general "bullying" culture. Acceptance of the gay lifestyle is the focus of the organisation, instead of caring for residents.

Pros

The residents, their families and the junior staff.

Cons

As above.

Really bad culture

People been there too long and should move on to other pastures.Management does not listen to employees nor takes issues seriously.People need to love on if they aren’t happy .

Pros

Cons

Culture, long hours

Very rewarding job

Working for uniting was the most rewarding job I've ever had, it takes very special people to be able to look after someone's family member who they in trust with their love one's well-being, i was an aged carer with tuning for 3 yrs and may go back, if you have that nurturing nature and lots of patience with willingness to work in diverse settings, willingness to learn about others, Uniting is a wonderful organisation to work and meet great people, money's great too.

Pros

Travel and wait allowances

Cons

Sometimes sadness

Wilful ignorance is bliss.

Agree with everything in “Should be called “Dividing” not “Uniting”. That glass ceiling into administration: maybe it’s actually there to protect lower level staff from the toxic culture.Shame upper management don’t walk the talk - things would be a whole lot better if the Christian values preached were actually practised. Subsidiarity doesn’t exist, and systemic issues raised are ignored and scapegoated onto lower level staff.Staff asking for help are told to pull up their socks and do better. No consideration for mental health or disability — ironic!

Pros

Office close to good coffee places. Remuneration not bad.

Cons

Expected to perform many hours of unpaid overtime. Toxic culture.

Supportive team leaders and higher managers

I enjoyed working with uniting as they were professional and supportive. They provided training and paid for outside training. They provided us with uniforms and a phone

Pros

Uniforms and phone provided and permanent part time position

Cons

Required to do all 8 forms of care

Should be called “Dividing” not “Uniting”

Management place value on money not people or even procedures. Support workers are separated from participants who prefer their support. There’s a glass ceiling into the administration and good luck to you if you do manage to break through — if you don’t fit the social culture you’re out.At least the pay is good.

Pros

Remuneration good

Cons

Toxic culture

Very little to no support

I have been unable to work for 12 months after being employed by Uniting for 6 years.I had previosly worked fot 44 years in Nursing & Community Services which i enjoyed immensly.Uniting has a culture of bullying .Top heavy with teams focus of dollars not consumer focused.Management is very poor .I would not recommend Uniting to any employee or consumer.

Pros

The consumers & carers

Cons

Long days stressful workplace & no support.

Fun , productive

Overall great experience, friendly staff and lovely residents. Training and career development opportunities. However there would be a fast paced environment.

They would make clicky groups snd under mine you ...

Wasn't the hsppiest environments everyone bitched behind everyone else's backs , and as sweet as pie to their face.... constant disturbances between staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Uniting. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Uniting