Uniting
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Uniting Job Security & Advancement reviews

Overall great experience, friendly staff and lovely residents. Training and career development opportunities. However there would be a fast paced environment.
20 hours perm p/t was not enough. I struggled to get enough hours to pay a living wage. There were a lot of tasks not written into the vague job description and I felt over supervised and micromanaged. The job would be more suited to someone without much education who didn’t mind someone telling them what to do all the time. It was the shortest time I have ever spent with an organisation - only one year. I loathed the m
Pros
Nice fellow employees and disability clientd
Cons
Backstabbing managers out to impress each other
Staff are undervalued and pit against one another, there is high staff turnover. Staff who stay in their positions have learnt to bully anyone who seeks to address the issues. There is very little support for staff by Management, who foster this toxic work environment. The key focus is not the clients, staff at an individual level, or the team, but cost savings. Promotions are given to the least qualified staff in order to maintain the status quo.
I found Uniting to have good work culture. Plenty of training opportunities and a good work/life balance with time in lieu RDO’s etc. Collaborative working environment.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Salary
Restructuring every 3-6 months, used to be a really good place to work for before centralisation of the regions. All the original team and manager and now have moved on or made redundant.
i worked at uniting for several years before i said enough is enough. i worked in a care position and had so many struggles from day one. i tried to express this to my supervisors and their sympathy went as far as telling me if i dont like it i should leave. overall bad experience
Revolving staff a lot of the time. Chance to further your experience and learning. Management are supportive and very approachable when you need to ask something.
Good place to work but poor pay, very good job security. Management is old style and change is not encouraged. Many managers have worked in the company fr over 10 years and very protective to maintain status quo.
Great place to work. Lot of opportunities for learning and Training. Office is close to Central station which is an added advantage. Highly recommend
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Though Uniting had a process for on site training that was good and time consuming. Management had no respect for Aboriginal culture. I was informed one day from a work colleague "I was not allowed to talk to people alone"- 6 months after start date. I was hovered by fellow work colleagues when speaking to people in a public forum. I was told "not to tell people I was Aboriginal". My contract clearly stated I was employed as an Aboriginal LAC. Management stated she was going to cancel this contract as Uniting had NO identified positions. I was not offered work opportunities as an LAC. Management told me that fellow work colleagues were intimidated by my presence. I tried to discuss this with my immediate supervisor who told me she was unaware of this. Then they cancelled my contract stating it was from a result I could not drive. They were aware I could not drive from day one of employment.
Processing invoices Time management Satisfactory Multi culture Bigger team and there is no permanent employment Close to home and flexibility
lots of work available while you are casual. not enough support to be able to move upwards within the company. work life balance is hard to maintain. residents are amazing to work with
The people I worked with were great. the job itself was awesome. I had some issues with the management and then massive issues with work life balance, this was not ok and needed review
Has been good employment for me, personally. Supportive Manager and co-workers. Good working environment. The hours are good for most employees. zzzzz
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Casual employment
Massive scale of infrastructure and huge staff slowed the capacity for innovation with senior level people interested in playing management games rather than innovation.
Pros
Capacity for independence of thought to discover new angles.
Cons
Bureaucracy to gain agreement to strategy.
Great team environment, Lots of excellent training, Great workplace culture, Long hours - can be confronting with clients behaviours Meet a lot of new people and learn about other people and their culture, traditions, customs
Pros
Get team culture
Cons
Excellent place to work, great team culture and placed a big emphasis on professional development. Uniting was always very flexible around my work hours and I was given opportunities to explore other aspects of the organisation.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Intense work
Enjoyable area I work within, however as it is voluntary it is not financially beneficial. The training offered is very beneficial and they offer professional supervision which is conciderate
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Low pay
I was on contract assignment, general accounting duties. Reconciling G/L and Fixed Assets. New software. very powerful. I had worked with management in a previous contract assignment. Once again, Not for Profit culture, polite and calm. Nothing really, all familiar. I like Not for Profit environments.
Uniting is embedded in local communities across Australia. It offers good salary sacrifice arrangements and is in the forefront of taking a person centered approach to all of its care roles. Being such a large organisation there are advancement possibilities especially for those willing to be flexible around location.
Pros
A thoughtful and person centered employer
Cons
generally low salaries
Too many managers and too many making silly decisions No work-life balance Was responsible for working on critical business infrastructure but not trusted to work from home or other locations other than head office. No money gets spent on anything of importance. When childcare centres have to run their own independant fundraisers so they can buy stationary there is an issue.
  1. Job Security & Advancement